Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Mick guests on Brad Paisley album "Love And War", out April 21
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 21, 2017 17:33

Heard an interesting/funny story on my local radio as I was driving in this morning...

Apparently, during the recording process, possibly even during a take, Paisley's young son (7-8 yrs old) walked up to Mick and asked him, (apx) "What was Muddy Waters like?" or something to that effect - I was driving so some of my quotes may be off. Apparently Mick "lit up with a smile" and proceeded to engage with the boy about Muddy and told him some different stories. Paisley apparently was stunned/amazed by the whole thing. After the conversation, Mick asked Brad: "Where did that come from?" regarding the conversation. Paisley answered along the lines of "I have no idea..."

Another tidbit that was discussed re: Paisley. Apparently when he and John Fogerty sat down to write the song the Fogerty appears on, as they were starting, Jon Fogerty says "You know, the first time I've ever sat down to write with someone." Paisley had assumed that Fogerty had done it before and said he got nervous thinking "Oh great, 1st time he's done this... I better not screw it up."

I'd love to find the interview the radio host was referring to. If I do, I'll share it here. If someone else does 1st, I hope they share it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edit:
I may have found the article. Or at least one that touches on the points that the host I heard on the radio was referring to... Glad I didn't claim to be quoting! My memory was pretty good though!

Rolling Stone:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 17:40 by mr_dja.

Re: Mick guests on Brad Paisley album "Love And War", out April 21
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 21, 2017 21:42

It´s Only Junk (And I Don´t Like It)

Re: Mick Jagger guests on Brad Paisley album "Love And War", out April 21
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:13

"Drive of Shame"? Spot on. Lame, lame, lame... Not even exciting Jagger vocals.

Oh well - if it amuses his Royal Jaggerness, then it's olrite in my book.

(P.S.: Brad does play decent guitar, though.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:27

Mick's vocals sound good, but it's interesting to see how some Stones fans can be so easily pleased these days. guess when there's nothing else happening, even a hokey country duet can fill the void.
Is this tune really worthy of some of the high praise it's getting? Personally I don't think so. Might last awhile on country radio, but for the rest of the world it will soon be buried and forgotten.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 22, 2017 00:00

yep it was yesterday's cheap thrill. cookie cutter; i expected nothing more; it was an exciting kick to get a bit of Mick and a rockin' band but I listened again today and could not get all the way through it. It will prohably be a big summer hit for a whole bunch of young kids having a lot of fun and all that. it'll be their HTW or as close to 'rock and roll' as that kind of 'country' gets....which is more rock and roll than most rock and rollers these days so who knows? No staying power but I did get off on it. It was like having a super time at the ice cream shop; getting sprinkles and choclate sauce on your pistachio but at least that will stay with you a little longer than the tracvk will. It really @#$%& me up when there's a track that nothing in the world is wrong with really, it has all the elements and everything; and great players and sounds and still ends up feeling it's got the heft of something like a Virginia Slims menthol and that's not right. If you're gonna smoke something, smoke something. Cannabis, American Spirit, hell a Camel ...
This sounds like a song all those fake rockin boyz would play at their pink pajama Keith Urban sleep-over party...they be all jumpin; up and down on the bed playing air guitar....haha on second thought, get the hell out of there Mick....
but he fits right in .... how many times do we have to die for Micks sins?
well, I'm still a fan. smiling smiley

Date: April 22, 2017 00:28

Lol nice post Hopkins.
And yes it was interesting and a bit fun to hear...yesterday.

Date: April 22, 2017 06:50

It's also about 45 seconds longer than it needs to be; the coda more for Brad's showing off, displaying really fine chops and super licks; but ?? u know??
for what it is, it's moments of fun and all that; man they could have easily shaved at least forty seconds off this...
haha almost like hey it's excusable and a lot of fun and it's 3:20 fun fat summer hit....the country version of his State of Shock duo on the Jackson's LP...
but nope; got to go to 4:35 as if it's some opus...i mean the complete coda is just an excuse to showcase fast-lickery out of any contextery...

I guess Brad does that a lot; and he's so excellent but man it's part of what makes it impossible for me to take him seriously as writer/artist, that kind of, well after awhile it's buffoonery almost...and he's obviously a talented guy who can sing great and play fantastic but he's right in that commecial slot where it's all cashville hackneyed or something; no matter how very much I love deep real country music and all the related musics it sprang from; it's this kind of stunning magic trickery of technique amidst a wash of soap-opera level dramatics....ultimatley makes me feel like i'm watching all those state of the art pharma commercials with actors playing 'real' people.
The drive of shame might end up having a bit more irony in it that Mick ever intended....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 06:59 by hopkins.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 22, 2017 07:27

Not a B Paisley fan at all, but not bad, I think I like it!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 22, 2017 16:25

From Brad Paisley's Billboard interview with Deborah Evans Price:

You spent three days co-writing with Mick Jagger and the result is the duet “Drive of Shame.” What’s one of your favorite memories of those sessions?

Huck, my oldest son [10], is having a Shirley Temple. Mick is drinking a beer. I’ve poured them both and I see this exchange take place. Huck Paisley turns to Mick Jagger and says, "Mick what was Muddy like?" He says, "Excuse me?" and Huck says, "Muddy Waters, was he a nice guy?" And Mick says, "Yes. He was amazing to me. He was my inspiration and he loved us. That’s why we’re called the Rolling Stones." Mick comes to me later and goes, "Where did that come from?" I said, "I don’t know. He’s smarter than me. I didn’t think to ask that."

What sparked the Mick Jagger collaboration?

I had played some shows with [Jagger] and in passing at dinner one night in Nashville, I said, "Hey you ought to come back." I was serious, but I thought he’d never really do it, but I said, "You should come back and spend some time so we could write some songs and record out here at the farm." He said, "Yeah, we could come back in September sometime." The next thing you know, we were here recording and writing, sitting in this very spot. He was goofing around and doing what he does and singing and writing, and we had the best time.

I was struck by his focus. You would think at this point, with nothing left to prove, that this man would phone it in, but he doesn’t. He really is hyper aware of what music should be, and not only that, but current sort of trends. He’s a student still, and that’s so enlightening to see, because this is also a man who is probably more responsible for the paths that music took. There’s just a handful of people in his league, and here he is hungry to continually to create.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 22, 2017 17:26

Always a treat to here Mick doing his country twang thang. He brings a sense of humor to most every country song he sings on and this one is no different. The vocals at the end remind me some of the funny umbrella line at the end of Do You Think I Really Care. I'll try it a few more times, but it's not really MY thang. It's pop country friendly though, so maybe it'll do well for him and Brad Paisley.

Tried a few times, maybe it's just my lazy ears, but what the heck is Mick shouting out at the beginning, after "I got it...a room, beer..."?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 22, 2017 17:56

Everything Brad Paisley says about Mick's focus and creativity is nice. The song isn't terrible, but it just doesn't do much for me. I doubt I'll come round to it later.

Date: April 22, 2017 20:58

Brad Paisley Hints of More Songs With Mick Jagger

Getty Images

by CMT.com Staff

When Mick Jagger flies into Nashville to record, Brad Paisley says the pressure to not blow the opportunity is massive.

“You don’t want to be like, ‘Well, we didn’t get anything,'” Paisley tells Katie Cook on an all-new CMT Hot 20 Countdown airing Saturday (April 22) and Sunday (April 23) at 9 a.m. ET.

Paisley initially asked Jagger if he’d like to write sometime when he opened the show for the Rolling Stones’ stadium show in Nashville during the band’s 2015’s Zip Code Tour.

“I said, ‘You should come back when we don’t have anything to do,” Paisley recalled, “and we can write, record, go to dinner and goof around.’ He was like, ‘How’s September?’ That was really the way we got to kick off the album.”

They wrote and recorded their new collaboration “Drive of Shame” for Paisley’s just-released Love and War album in three days.

“We came up with a couple of songs, actually,” Paisley added. “That’s the one that went on here, and he did his vocal and goofed around. We wrote until we had all the lines we wanted, and it was eye-opening for me.

“It’s amazing to me the energy level of this man, having accomplished everything he’s accomplished,” he added of Jagger. “He still has a hunger about him and wanting to be creative.”

[www.cmt.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2017 23:18

Hairball
Mick's vocals sound good, but it's interesting to see how some Stones fans can be so easily pleased these days. guess when there's nothing else happening, even a hokey country duet can fill the void.
Is this tune really worthy of some of the high praise it's getting? Personally I don't think so. Might last awhile on country radio, but for the rest of the world it will soon be buried and forgotten.

Haha.. that was exactly what I was thinking when reading the reception of CROSSEYED HEART here...winking smiley

But seriously, not nothing else happening? Man, they just released a new album six months ago that is still charting, and Richards one a year before that, and they are now in a process of making and releasing a new album.. Add there their almost constant gigging since 2012, yeah, now having a brief rest but most likely to continue their celebrational tour in the autumn. Then there are all those archive relaeses we been treated plus the concert/tour films & recordings (like the FINGERS gig at Fonda)... Probably it is not like it was in the 60's when they released a new single every four months and two albums a year, but c'mon... remember what it was like between 2007 and 2011... Those were dry years...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: ladylou ()
Date: April 23, 2017 00:53

WHAT THE HELL THEIR SONG IS ABOUT?

[www.azlyrics.com]

Date: April 23, 2017 01:31

Doxa
Hairball

Haha.. that was exactly what I was thinking when reading the reception of CROSSEYED HEART here...winking smiley

But seriously, not nothing else happening? Man, they just released a new album six months ago that is still charting, and Richards one a year before that, and they are now in a process of making and releasing a new album.. Add there their almost constant gigging since 2012, yeah, now having a brief rest but most likely to continue their celebrational tour in the autumn. Then there are all those archive relaeses we been treated plus the concert/tour films & recordings (like the FINGERS gig at Fonda)... Probably it is not like it was in the 60's when they released a new single every four months and two albums a year, but c'mon... remember what it was like between 2007 and 2011... Those were dry years...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yes lot's of things have been happening the last several years - the highlights being Mick Taylor touring with them, and of course the great Crosseyed Heart! winking smiley
I was referring specifically though to this moment in time and looking forward, as in there's nothing absolute or concrete to look forward to right now....no tour dates ...no pre-orders...nada as far as I know.
Maybe there's another archive release coming? Amidst all the speculation and rumours about a possible new tour and a possible new album of originals (the two things that really matter), I've lost track of anything else...
But as it stand right now, a supposed Summer '17 tour was called off. There's been no announcement (yet) for the supposed Fall tour '17. The new album of originals has been supposedly been put on hold (possibly indefinitely?). So here we are today, and have been 'gifted' with a Paisley/Jagger duet. I suppose it's understandable that some people are excited for it as there's really nothing else happening at the moment. But again - is Drive of Shame (lol) truly worthy of all this praise? Or are people willing to accept anything right now no matter how subpar it really is, simply because there's nothing else on the horizon? There's still hope out there, but in the meantime (and for better or worse), Drive of Shame is the only thing truly happening right now in Stonesland, so might have to make the most of it!

"Now as the sun comes up
It's shining a light
On the big mistake, I made last night"

Yeehaw...drinking smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 23, 2017 02:37

Is Brad Paisley a big selling artist in the USA? I know he played Dead Flowers with The Stones in 2015.

I like Drive Of Shame a lot more than the duet with Don Henley (Bramble Rose?) from last year. Especially sound/vocal wise.

Date: April 23, 2017 06:02

Yes: i don't have any of his albums but he's been making hit albums for a dozen years or so; Usually Platinums; he has a huge fan base;
He plays the biggest amphitheares and arenas and does mighty well.
Obviously the country charts especially but that's a huge nationwide market.
These guys'll, there's a few on that level, sell out the biggest arena in Tacoma, WA, for easy example, way in the Northwest, as easy as somewhere in Kentucky.
In that world, and it's a lucrative wide and varied market, he's a contemporary super-star. Everything he touches sells. Christmas LP's, compilations, live, whatever...
He'd sell out upstate New York or the big city too. I'm not way into that world but Brad and Kenney and Keith and a rare few of them pull that off like clockwork ALL the time.
personally I love it when I see him on TV because I KNOW he's going to spank that plank, no doubt about it.
But I'm not drawn enough to buy a record or listen to one; aside from maybe a cut here and there;
If it hadn't been for this duet w Mick, I would have heard nothing all from his new album; I DID try a few other tracks and for me anyway, got nowhere with them.
Still, obvious to me anyway, my tastes anyway, I see him not only as a really sterling capable player, but also I think he's got a nice voice in a nice range; and handles it well....
It just doesn't all add up to much for me personally, outside a looksee on TV if he's guesting a number....
It's being that deep in that particular and specific commerical formula that seems to hold me back from really needing to have that kind of musical companionship artistically. I think I'd like to find a good representative Kenney Chesney record....and may....but may not haha; i don't want to totally give up on it but mostly have long ago. I need zero Travis Tritt in my life for example.
i'm all over, meaning I like it and have a lot of stuff from them, all over their product: Steve Earle and Dwight and Lyle and Vince, from that batch of mid 80's newcomers....
...and i go way into it sometimes, even SOME of the formualic crap, if its Alan Jackson, or certainly Tim McGraw....so my tastes DO bleed a little over into that Cashville stuff with Alan and Tim. The others are genuine and also genuine outsiders that write original stuff, I mean really original; not just new co-writes on 'cookie cutter,' kind of pro publishing "briefcase" songwriting appointments ala Nashville....
...but yeah, you'd have to say Brad was a really big star in the USA. I'd be surprised if he didn't have European fans as well.

At the end of the day I'd rather hear Canandaian Zal Yanofsky (RIP) (Lovin' Spoonful) tear up some sterling bright country licks on their material; and yes "Nasville Cats" does come to mind. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 06:08 by hopkins.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2017 06:40

ladylou
WHAT THE HELL THEIR SONG IS ABOUT?

[www.azlyrics.com]

Have not listened to the song but read the lyrics-
ya, 'Drive of Shame' or the saying 'walk of shame'
morning after a (drunken) 1 night stand.
However, the term 'CK' 'CK fashion'
??
Google hints at it being a clothing type doesn't make sense
country music not my thing.
But I enjoyed hearing about Mick grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 06:41 by 35love.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 23, 2017 11:13

Calvin Klein

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 23, 2017 12:23

Hoping not to hurt any feelings here, but it's just a lame run-of-the-mill song that will be forgotten quickly... :/

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 23, 2017 12:29

No new Start Me Up - I just like the riff and the Telesound. The rest is pretty weak. Would've been much much better if the Stones had recorded it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2017 13:20

micawber
No new Start Me Up - I just like the riff and the Telesound. The rest is pretty weak. Would've been much much better if the Stones had recorded it.

I relistened the song and probably due those two components you mentioned - "Start Me Up" and Telesound - it reminds me very much of the poppish muzak version of "Start Me Up", that is, "Don't Stop".

Could it be that Jagger himself played the trademark guitar here?

- Doxa

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 23, 2017 14:09

Doxa
micawber

I relistened the song and probably due those two components you mentioned - "Start Me Up" and Telesound - it reminds me very much of the poppish muzak version of "Start Me Up", that is, "Don't Stop".

Could it be that Jagger himself played the trademark guitar here?

- Doxa

Good question! Quite interesting... After a few more listens I'm sure that's not Mick on Tele.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 23, 2017 18:36

....it sure does sound like Mick doing one of his Keith imitations...stonsey intro...and I agree would have been a good Stones track...that Mick still has some tricks is encouraging....maybe we'll get a hit out of them on the next Stones record....in spite of Keith....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 18:37 by Rip This.

Date: April 27, 2017 15:52

Brad Paisley Talks About His Friendship with the Rolling Stones - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:32

Rip This
would have been a good Stones track...

I thank the good Lord above that this subpar radio-rock-pop-ditty is NOT a Stones-track...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:21

HMS
Rip This

I thank the good Lord above that this subpar radio-rock-pop-ditty is NOT a Stones-track...

thumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:56

KRiffhard
HMS
Rip This

thumbs up

Well, it does not exactly make my neck-hairs stand up - and my neck-hairs usually don't lie...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:57

The thing is if the Stones recorded it would sound more Stonesy. My kids love Brad Paisley, I guess this is his type of song?? Jagger sounds great....

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 27, 2017 18:25

this song is a piece of c*ap

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home