Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: So, who else sounds better in mono?
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 13, 2017 08:16

My wife got me the RS Mono box for Christmas, and so after that I re-tooled my stereo system and started playing and hauling out the mono stuff I had.
Luckily, my sister's Beatle records were mostly mono and sound great, as usual.
Others that sound great are Hollies Evolution, Are You Experienced?, The Who Sell Out.

So, what other artists/bands/albums sound better in mono?

Re: OT: So, who else sounds better in mono?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 13, 2017 11:37

Not sure if it's your piece of cake, but The Piper at the Gates of Down is the first that comes to my mind.

Date: February 13, 2017 11:42

Pet Sounds

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 13, 2017 12:05

Dylan´s original mono recordings on vinyl sounds fantastic, especially the later ones. The bluesbreakers with Clapton is also great in mono.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 13, 2017 12:05

Cristiano Radtke
Not sure if it's your piece of cake, but The Piper at the Gates of Down is the first that comes to my mind.

Perhaps the most radically different mix to any better known stereo version. The difference between this and the stereo version is immense.

Other interesting mono mixes are RAM by Paul and Linda McCartney; obviously The Beatles catalogue, the early Dylan albums, Oddesey & Oracle by The Zombies and the 1st Love album.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 13, 2017 12:11

All the early Chuck Berry records are great in mono in my opinion. First great one in stereo was "From St. Louis to Liverpool".

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 14:41

DandelionPowderman
Pet Sounds
Agreed. It's said the Brian Wilson hears the layers of sound stacked from top to bottom as opposed to left to right like people with two functional ears. Seems accurate to me.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 15:47

The Kinks! Boy their recent Mono set is stellar. So amazing! Hearing Face to Face and Something Else are simply sublime on Mono. Also Arthur is far better Mono. Village green is fantastic, however, it also sounds pretty good stereo as well. This is a great box set. Fantastic pressings too.

Date: February 13, 2017 15:52

Village Green is indeed fantastic in mono.

I got the original Pye mono-version, and it sounds excellent!

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: February 13, 2017 16:24

Svartmer
Dylan´s original mono recordings on vinyl sounds fantastic, especially the later ones. The bluesbreakers with Clapton is also great in mono.

Yeah, I agree. Like a Rolling Stone sounds especially different (much better) in the mono mix. You can hear the bass drum quite well, for example.

But on the "biggest difference" mix in my opinion the top 2 are from The Beatles:
1. Sgt Pepper
2. White Album

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 16:35

I think all The Beatles early albums sound so much better on Mono. They are a rock n' roll band on the mono! The guitars are far more up front in the mix, they are incredible! And the bass! A revelation, especially, on With the Beatles and A Hard Days Night. Amazing! Also Past Masters is incredible. Bad Boy sounds like it is full force punk rock. And Revolution sounds like it is shredding your speakers! It is ferocious!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-13 16:37 by whitem8.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2017 17:59

I sound much better in mono.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 18:37

Agree on the Kinks mono releases being fantastic.

I would say the most obvious difference is the LIVE AT KELVIN HALL mono/stereo releases.

Since I heard the mono mix, I never listened to the stereo again. Mono rules in this case!

Check it out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home