Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger solo - dismissed too easily?
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 5, 2005 11:20

The new album has me thinking:

Is Mick's solo stuff too easily dismissed?

IF some of these HAD been released AS Stones music would the critics, and we, the Stones fans, have been quite so dismissive (I am discounting Rolling Stone's ***** review - of GITDW, it was the real odd-one out as far as reviews went).

But these songs:

God gave me Everything
Evening Gown
Visions of Paradise
Don't Tear me up
Sweet Thing
Gun
Goddess in the Doorway
Throwaway

These, amongst others, are very good songs.

If they had BEEN on Stones records, instead of Mick's, I think they will have been better received, certainly now with the benefit of hindsight it appears that way to me anyways!

Rod

Re: Mick Jagger solo - dismissed too easily?
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 5, 2005 11:41

I say the same thing since a long time. Mick is just a fabulous writer and musician . W.S., S.T.B., AND G.I.T.D. ARE MASTERPIECE. GODDESS IS MUSIC OF PLEASURE.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 5, 2005 11:58

Those songs are great but they lack, not all of them but most, some authentecy. I dunno what I mean but something misses. Maybe they feel too constructed. No faults. NIce chordchanges. Maybe too easy or something.

Posted by: Star ()
Date: September 5, 2005 12:13

and one of the best ever... "Hard Woman"
which is as good a ballad as anything the Stones have done...

also what about " brand new set of rules"... another fave of mine "Kow Tow"..
in fact I don't know why Goddess In The Doorway (the album) got slated it is brilliant - Mick moves with the times in his songs and ideas - I have grown up with his music (Stones or solo) and over the years I keep hearing great tracks... now and again you might find one that doesn't quite "work" for you personally but there's always a classic or two in there somewhere, and the rest aare never crap.

"I'll just go with the flow..."

Date: September 5, 2005 13:10

IMO, his best are:

Hard Woman
Say You Will
Wired All Night
Evening Gown
Lucky Day

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:01

A few of the Wandering Spirit tracks are classics:

Don't Tear Me Up
Hang On to Me Tonight
Evening Gown

Others are merely excellent:

Out of Focus
Put Me In the Trash
Mother of a Man
Wandering Spirit
Angel in My Heart

It's a major work by a major artist (who turned 50 that year--think he was trying to prove something?)

It's too bad Rick Rubin doesn't produce the Stones--he had a good ear.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:18

I love Mick Jagger's solo work. I think Goddess In The Doorway was my favorite cd that came out that year. Those songs are very very good. Better than some Stones material for sure. God Gave Me Everything, Visions, Everybody Get High, Too Far Gone; these are awesome songs that could definitely hold their own against most Stones albums. I don't know why people don't buy his solo work as much as the Stones. I was really disappointed by it's peak chart position of #39 here in the US. Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars and he gave an excellent performance on SNL. Wandering Spirit is great too. I have She's the Boss on vinyl. Maybe it's b/c Mick is my favorite member, but I definitely agree that hardcore Stones fans and the general public totally have missed the mark on Mick's solo work.

Posted by: NYCSTONESFREAK ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:31

The last CD I like other then that urg

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 5, 2005 23:07

I'd like to hear reports of the Stones play Joy in concert, with Keith singing Bono's parts.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 5, 2005 23:15

Jaggers Solo-Albums are all great.
Dont know---why keith did nothing in the past years

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 5, 2005 23:56

Havo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Dont know---why keith did nothing in the past
> years

Because it's easier for him to ridicule everything Mick does than proving what he himself can still do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-06 00:00 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 6, 2005 01:07

I think the problem with Jagger's solo career is the fact that he tries too hard to be a hip popstar.

He should stick to his roots (blues, country and rock).
With a great producer like Rick Rubin (who understands what sound Jagger suits the best) and a good band, Jagger is able to make a fantastic solo album (Wandering Spirit).

Often Jagger writes great songs, but with the wrong producer (Nile Rodgers, Dave Stewart) they end up sounding like terrible pop songs (1/2 A Loaf, Kow Tow).

So I hope the next solo album will be with a producer like Rick Rubin or Chris Kimsey.

And why not record a country or blues album?!!!!

PS. One piece of advice for Mick: Never ever make another solo album with Matt Clifford again!

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 01:13

I think Wandering Spirit is awesome, but don't care for his other solo recordings, apart from two songs on Goddess (God Gave Me Everything, Gun) and a couple of "guilty pleasures" from the 80s, Just Another Night and State Of Shock (Tina Turner version, not Michael Jackson version).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home