Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Just discovering the '72/'73 tours - recommended bootlegs and videos please
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 11, 2017 18:53

thank you friends!!!!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 11, 2017 19:16

StonedRambler
I have to admit that I always prefered the post-89 stones performances. Might be because I am a bit younger than some of you and the vegas-stones (as you call it) were the stones I fell in love with some years ago. I always loved the classic albums from beggas banquet to exile but rarely listend to the 70s live performances.

But now I am just discovering the '72/'73 tour which are my favourite ones at the moment. But except for Brussels Affair (the official one) and Ladies and Gentlemen I do not own any recordings of the tour.

I know that these are the only official ones. So which bootlegs (except for Brussels which I already have) would you recommend me to get next? And where can I get them?
Both Soundboard and good audience recordings are appreciated.

Thank you!

StonedRambler

Your email is hidden.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: February 11, 2017 20:17

Skip the official Brussels Affair. Get the ''Definitive Edition'' by Rattlesnake records instead, it has warmer sound and a better show, also the second disc includes some very nice soundboards from Wembley and Newcaste among other places.

Never heard a great 1972 soundboard they all sound like crap.

Date: February 12, 2017 01:51

The "Brussels Affair Definitive Edition" is not actually the definitive edition for sound quality. Great sound quality but not the absolute best out there. It is good for its comprehensive track list and essential bonus tracks,though.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time but,trying to avoid seeing people new to this being lead in the wrong direction. That title itself is misleading enough for those particular about fine differences in quality.

There are two mixes of the Brussels '73 recordings (before the official one was released) ..... one for the 1974 radio broadcast and one for a mid-'80's radio rebroadcast.

The best sources for the '70's mixes are VGP "Europe '73" and VGP "Bedspring Symphony".

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" from "Headin' for an Overload".

For the '80's remixes, "Nasty Remixes 20-bit Master" is the best source.

"Bunnies, Bombs, Busts and a Princess" if I recall,is an EQ'd version from a Japanese record label. Empress Valley perhaps. Great sound there as well if you like the EQ result but,some do not.

Now,we also have this posted on IORR :
[iorr.org] . Digital files taken from high resolution vinyl. Which high res vinyl,I don't know yet. I'll have to give it a listen.

Follow this link : * [www.rollingstonesnet.com] * and scroll down to the bottom of the page. The whole web-page has good information.

Date: February 12, 2017 02:01

Here is the conclusion which I pretty much agree with :

1.) Introduction: Alternating Drum Beats and Announcer
2.) Brown Sugar (Nasty Remix: Horn Version – 20Bit)
3.) Gimme Shelter (Bedspring Symphony VGP - TAKRL-1941: Wembley Version)
4.) Happy (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
5.) Tumbling Dice (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
6.) Dancing With Mr. D (Nasty Remix – 20Bit: With missing opening bar "pasted" into the track)
7.) Star Star (Nasty Remix – 20Bit: Newcastle, RTL Track)
8.) Heartbreaker (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
9.) Angie (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
10.)You Can't Always Get What You Want (11:06) (Headin’ for An Overload)
11.) Midnight Rambler (13:03) (Bedspring Symphony VGP)
12.) Honky Tonk Women (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
13.) All Down The Line (Bedspring VGP)
14.) Rip This Joint (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
15.) Jumpin' Jack Flash (Nasty Remix – 20Bit)
16.) Street Fighting Man (Nasty Remix – 20Bit: Wembley Version)

Some songs (if not all) you would want to have both the 1974 mix and the 1980's mix.
Brown Sugar with and without horns as an example.

Date: February 12, 2017 12:51

The original "Brussels Affair"-bootleg surely had the same mix as "Bedspring Symphony, no?

If memory serves, the "Heading For An Overload"- bootleg had a somewhat inferior sound?

Date: February 12, 2017 15:24

DandelionPowderman
The original "Brussels Affair"-bootleg surely had the same mix as "Bedspring Symphony, no?

If memory serves, the "Heading For An Overload"- bootleg had a somewhat inferior sound?

The original "Brussels Affair" bootleg was actually a copy of the 2 LP set Europe '73 (RS 002) with somewhat inferior sound (relatively speaking) to its master source and some crackling sounds.

There are 3 versions of 'Bedspring Symphony'. TAKRL 1941 LP with the announcements and crackles / TAKRL 1941 CD taken from the tape without the announcements and the crackles / and also there is the release from the Chapter One label CO 25113 which is a CD including the crackles. All 3 are better bets than the "original" Brussels Affair bootleg if you ask me. The original "Europe '73" LP set or the "Europe '73 cds are also a better option in my opinion.

The only track that I bothered with from "Headin' For an Overload" was "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I extracted that FLAC file from a zipped archive file of "Headin' For an Overload" and then deleted the rest besides the included interview. The overall sound quality seems very similar to the 'Bedspring Symphony' TAKRL 1941 CD.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home