Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Help me locate obscure tongue logo variation
Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: January 30, 2017 01:11

I just got back from Exhibitionism, and I caught a glimpse of a tongue that I really loved. I know I've seen it before but I can't recall where it was used, and I would have gotten a picture but it was just in a passing video clip.

I want to say that the tongue had an African aesthetic, it was definitely red, lips heavily stylized, and tongue jutting out to the right and then straight down for a 90 degree angle.

It was kind of like this one from the Exile cover art, but it was definitely color and had the above qualities:

Can anyone help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-30 01:12 by joshbg2k.

Re: Help me locate obscure tongue logo variation
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 30, 2017 01:28

Try this post 4 pages long........................

[iorr.org]

Date: January 30, 2017 01:34

It's not there, thanks though!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 30, 2017 01:37

Not sure which one you saw but an interesting bit about this tongue here.. [dulltooldimbulb.blogspot.com]

The blogger speculates that it may have been the inspiration for the logo,,,,,,,, I thought it was Kali the hindu princess...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 30, 2017 01:51

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 30, 2017 02:44

Cristiano Radtke
[www.iorr.org]

THANK YOU Cristiano,
it was very nice of you to post this link and helping out, as you do so often!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 30, 2017 03:17

HankM
Cristiano Radtke
[www.iorr.org]

THANK YOU Cristiano,

My pleasure, HankM. smileys with beer

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: January 30, 2017 03:33

Cristiano Radtke
HankM
Cristiano Radtke
[www.iorr.org]

THANK YOU Cristiano,

My pleasure, HankM. smileys with beer
drinking smileysmoking smiley

Date: January 30, 2017 04:12

MisterDDDD

Not sure which one you saw but an interesting bit about this tongue here.. [dulltooldimbulb.blogspot.com]

The blogger speculates that it may have been the inspiration for the logo,,,,,,,, I thought it was Kali the hindu princess...

You know what, I think that might be it. Seeing it in color is jogging my memory. I'm hoping to use it in an upcoming peject. Thanks!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2017 18:54

MisterDDDD

For one thing, Ernie Cefalu didn't invent the logo. He continues to lie about it.

However... John Pasche has been interviewed about it and mentions Kali.

"In 1969, Mick Jagger’s office rang the Royal College of Art in London and asked if there was a suitable design student to come up with designs for their 1970 European Tour poster. I was recommended and on 29 April 1970 Jo Bergman, who was running the Stone's office at the time, wrote to me to confirm that they had commissioned me to design a poster for their forthcoming tour. At this time, I was in my final year of a graduate design course. I was very honored when Mick Jagger turned up at the College to see my final degree show as the artwork that would ultimately be used for the poster was on display in one of the exhibits.

A short time later, I met with Mick again, who then asked me to design a logo or symbol for The Rolling Stone's new record label. Mick showed me an image of the Goddess Kali which became the starting point to our discussion regarding the design of the logo. I was paid £50 for the design, which took me about a week to complete. In 1972 I was paid an additional £200 in recognition of the logo's success.

[rockpopgallery.typepad.com]

...in 1969 when Mick Jagger called on London's Royal College of Art in search of a student to create some visual assets for his band's next album. The Stones' front man liked the work of 24-year-old John Pasche, who accepted £50 (about $77) to draw up a logo. The story goes that Jagger wanted a likeness of Kali, the Hindu goddess of everlasting energy.

[www.adweek.com]

Same bit here as well but with more pics of the logo:
[www.scoopwhoop.com]

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 30, 2017 19:56

GasLightStreet
For one thing, Ernie Cefalu didn't invent the logo. He continues to lie about it.

However... John Pasche has been interviewed about it and mentions Kali.

I still wonder about the girl's mouth in the drawing accompanying "Day Tripper" in that Beatles Illustrated Lyrics book. Whoever Craig Braun got to redraw Pasche's logo has to have seen it.

Date: April 11, 2017 18:37

Never did find that tongue I was looking for (maybe it only existed in my mind), but I went ahead with the project using the Sweet Taste of Joy tongue.

So I made an enamel pin using that image, and put it on Etsy: [etsy.me]

It's 1.25" size, so a little bigger than usual. If you use the code IORRPIN you can get it for $5 for the next week. Enjoy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2321
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home