Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie duet album
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 15, 2017 19:17

Tate
Wow, very interesting. I guess I should praise SN's honesty, although I find it very disheartening that for her, already plenty wealthy as she is, she puts making money ahead of the art of songwriting and music making. Touring is great, but why not keep making music too?
There's still a LOT of tension in the recording studio between Stevie and Lindsey. She mentioned it when they did their last album in 2003 without Christine.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 15, 2017 21:28

keefriff99
There's still a LOT of tension in the recording studio between Stevie and Lindsey. She mentioned it when they did their last album in 2003 without Christine.

Interesting - when I saw FM a couple years back, there was this big, contrived thing with Stevie and Lindsey where they did this flirty little dance, ended in a big, showy hug. Felt very contrived. I saw Stevie this winter, soley because The Pretenders were opening for her, and left before she finished, shortly after her 5-minute tribute to her vintage shawl. Only stayed that long because Waddy was playing with her, I'd never seen him play, and he was brilliant.

Looking forward to Christine and Lindsey's effort.

Date: March 16, 2017 01:30

SomeTorontoGirl
keefriff99

Interesting - when I saw FM a couple years back, there was this big, contrived thing with Stevie and Lindsey where they did this flirty little dance, ended in a big, showy hug. Felt very contrived. I saw Stevie this winter, soley because The Pretenders were opening for her, and left before she finished, shortly after her 5-minute tribute to her vintage shawl. Only stayed that long because Waddy was playing with her, I'd never seen him play, and he was brilliant.

Looking forward to Christine and Lindsey's effort.
I think they generally get along nowadays, but there's still a lot of lingering emotion that bubbles up, particularly in the pressure cooker of the studio, since they're all perfectionists and control freaks to some degree.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2017 01:57

SomeTorontoGirl
Interesting - when I saw FM a couple years back, there was this big, contrived thing with Stevie and Lindsey where they did this flirty little dance, ended in a big, showy hug. Felt very contrived.

Maybe I fall for the shtick, but I actually do think on a certain level what they're doing is real. Yes they do it every night, but I do genuinely think its not just an act with no emotions. Its an act that they truly get emotional about every night. They make their relationship this whole dramatic thing, but I think they are one of the few "couples" where I actually think they believe it if that makes sense. Its an act but Lindsey can make her tear up if he tries and I think thats not for show, thats cause they truly seem like people where that relationship still lingers and effects them, whether it should at this point or not.

Her answer doesn't surprise me. She's not gonna say "I stopped Fleetwood Mac from doing stuff." And she's probably right that its difficult for them to make a record, particularly her and Lindsey. I think Lindsey and Christine have always meshed well together, so it makes perfect sense to me that them, and by extension Mick and John, could get along very easily and pull together a record. She's right that a Fleetwood Mac album is pretty unnecessary at this point, but I'm happy that hasn't stopped Christine and Lindsey from making an album that probably came very naturally. No reason we can't have everything.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:55

Tate
Wow, very interesting. I guess I should praise SN's honesty, although I find it very disheartening that for her, already plenty wealthy as she is, she puts making money ahead of the art of songwriting and music making. Touring is great, but why not keep making music too?

Yes, a pity she's only in it for the money...seems the antithesis of what a hippie dippy flower gypsy chick is all about.
A shame she couldn't see beyond herself and join the gang in the studio...even if it was for some background harmonies.
I always liked her vocals - especially those first two albums when she and Lyndsey joined the band. Oh well...

Date: March 16, 2017 03:59

Hairball
Tate

Yes, a pity she's only in it for the money...seems the antithesis of what a hippie dippy flower gypsy chick is all about.
A shame she couldn't see beyond herself and join the gang in the studio...even if it was for some background harmonies.
I always liked her vocals - especially those first two albums when she and Lyndsey joined the band. Oh well...

No one that goes to see Fleetwood Mac wants to hear new music though. No one that goes to see any of these classic rock acts wants that except a minority. And they are playing arenas, they have to please the masses and thats what they want. I understand how that means "oh well, no reason to make a record." I know she points out the money aspect, which for the record is also true. Why take all that time and effort and not be reimbursed or play it live? Yes they are rich but thats still a fair question. For artists, I'm guessing, it does take a lot out of them, and takes time. If its all for nothing, why record. She can make music on her own and tour it cause then people are seeing Stevie Nicks not the fabled Fleetwood Mac where there are too many hits to name. Sad, but honestly its what the concert public has done to the artists. The low point of every Stones 50th show was them trodding out Doom And Gloom and One More Shot, cause they looked bored playing it and the audience got restless listening to it. Thats, unfortunately, concerts today for classic artists.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 11, 2017 19:45

Out June 9.

Link

really looking forward to this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-11 20:13 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 11, 2017 21:45

RollingFreak
Hairball
Tate

No one that goes to see Fleetwood Mac wants to hear new music though. No one that goes to see any of these classic rock acts wants that except a minority. And they are playing arenas, they have to please the masses and thats what they want. I understand how that means "oh well, no reason to make a record." I know she points out the money aspect, which for the record is also true. Why take all that time and effort and not be reimbursed or play it live? Yes they are rich but thats still a fair question. For artists, I'm guessing, it does take a lot out of them, and takes time. If its all for nothing, why record. She can make music on her own and tour it cause then people are seeing Stevie Nicks not the fabled Fleetwood Mac where there are too many hits to name. Sad, but honestly its what the concert public has done to the artists. The low point of every Stones 50th show was them trodding out Doom And Gloom and One More Shot, cause they looked bored playing it and the audience got restless listening to it. Thats, unfortunately, concerts today for classic artists.

People would enjoy the new music if the new music was as interesting and engaging as the old music. Doom and Gloom and One More Shot were simply not exciting songs. They weren't bad, but they were no match for the hits. I'd love to hear what that entire classic lineup would do in the studio these days. Tango In The Night was not very good, with a few exceptions, but it's not the 80's anymore, they are all mature musicians, and I bet the new Buckingham/McVie album is pretty good. I'm sad Stevie's harmony vocals (and lead vocal on a track or two) will be missing. Why did she bother to record Say You Will? That album was clearly naked in a not-good way without Christine McVie. I understand if she simply doesn't want to record with the whole group I guess, but it seems like such a middle finger to F.M. fans like myself who were getting excited for a new album from the classic lineup. I hope they change her mind some day, and come together again for one last collective creative effort.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:10

I saw Fleetwood Mac live in Oslo in ´95 or ´96. There were only Mick Fleetwood and John McVie left of the band that made "Rumours", + Dave Mason and some woman on vocals. I was thinking this band has it´s future behind itself. I´m amazed they´re still around.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2017 19:32

The new song "In My World" has dropped and it ain't bad, not enough singing by Christine McVie to my liking (EDIT - listened with headphones, can't hear her at all actually eye rolling smiley )but it does remind me a bit of YMLFun. Better than anything on "Say You Will", although that's not saying much !

[www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 19:36 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 15, 2017 19:46

First impression - sounds a bit run-of-the-mill. Christine's keyboard sounds like something you hear on a karaoke tune.
Not as eager to hear the entire album as I was before listening to this. Stevie's background vocals are missed.
Maybe the next single will have Christine singing lead, and will be better?

Date: April 15, 2017 21:18

Yeah, that was nothing special. But I also don't really listen to Lindsey's solo material so I don't know how it compares to that. I'm basically comparing it to classic Mac which it obviously won't be. I'll wait for the album to make a full judgement. Even if it sucks I'd rather they try for something than never fully realize it. And I'm sure it'll have at least two or three really good tunes. Buckingham can still play a mean guitar when he's unchained and I'm sure Christine can still bang out a tune or two.

Date: April 15, 2017 21:24

Hairball
First impression - sounds a bit run-of-the-mill. Christine's keyboard sounds like something you hear on a karaoke tune.
Not as eager to hear the entire album as I was before listening to this. Stevie's background vocals are missed.
Maybe the next single will have Christine singing lead, and will be better?
I'm sure the album will be a fairly even mix of Christine and Lindsey swapping lead vocal duty. That would certainly make sense anyway.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 16, 2017 08:33

If you look at who plays on this record, it's Fleetwood Mac sans Nicks. The only musicians are Buckingham, the two McVies and Mick Fleetwood. Odd they chose to call it this.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 16, 2017 11:13

DandelionPowderman
Tate
Could be some great music, but I kinda wanted a real Fleetwood Mac album. It's weird that they are doing this without Stevie Nicks after all these years. First it was no Lindsey, then no Christine, now no Stevie? Maybe after this they'll gather for one last (?) killer album as a whole band.

We need Peter Green for that.

Sadly, Greenie seems to have given up the music business for good,now.
Superb talent....very sad.( same for Danny Kirwan, also)

Date: April 16, 2017 17:37

Long John Stoner
If you look at who plays on this record, it's Fleetwood Mac sans Nicks. The only musicians are Buckingham, the two McVies and Mick Fleetwood. Odd they chose to call it this.

its not odd. the corporation known as fleetwood mac currently has 5 members. only 4 are on here hence they can't call it fleetwood mac

Date: April 17, 2017 17:56

keefriffhard4life
Long John Stoner

its not odd. the corporation known as fleetwood mac currently has 5 members. only 4 are on here hence they can't call it fleetwood mac
Very true. Steve is probably THE most well-known member of Fleetwood Mac. Without her, people would be very pissed thinking they were hearing or seeing FM.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 17, 2017 20:38

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Long John Stoner

Very true. Steve is probably THE most well-known member of Fleetwood Mac. Without her, people would be very pissed thinking they were hearing or seeing FM.

Were people pissed off when Brian Wilson quit touring around 1966? Didn't seem to dent The Beach Boys ability to fill the concert halls.
I guess Brian wasn't as pretty as Stevie!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 17, 2017 21:33

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Long John Stoner

Interestingly, Mick and John toured as Fleetwood Mac with Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnette in 1994-95...Christine was a still a member (playing on the 1995 "Time" album), but didn't tour, while Lindsey and Stevie were not in the band at this point.

I suppose new agreements were drawn up in 1997 for "The Dance" reunion, specifying when the Fleetwood Mac name could be used for future studio projects and tours.

Date: April 18, 2017 01:00

Jah Paul
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Long John Stoner

Interestingly, Mick and John toured as Fleetwood Mac with Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett and Billy Burnette in 1994-95...Christine was a still a member (playing on the 1995 "Time" album), but didn't tour, while Lindsey and Stevie were not in the band at this point.

I suppose new agreements were drawn up in 1997 for "The Dance" reunion, specifying when the Fleetwood Mac name could be used for future studio projects and tours.
Yeah, but that was well after they'd broken up and it didn't seem like a reunion would ever happen.

Now that they've got Lindsey and Stevie back post-1997, people EXPECT those two to be fronting Fleetwood Mac shows.

Date: April 18, 2017 01:04

jlowe
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Long John Stoner

Were people pissed off when Brian Wilson quit touring around 1966? Didn't seem to dent The Beach Boys ability to fill the concert halls.
I guess Brian wasn't as pretty as Stevie!
I don't think what happened 51 years ago has much bearing on the big business of touring acts, particularly classic acts.

If you see Fleetwood Mac on the marquee nowadays, people expect Lindsey and Stevie onstage.

Date: April 18, 2017 03:45

They could tour with just Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (along with some side musicians) - their namesake - and do it justice.
Might not sell out arenas, but they could go back to their blues roots and scrap the entire Buckingham/Nicks era (and the other shortlived Bob Welch era) to the delight of many.
Throw in some ripping blues guitarist ala Peter Green, and it would be great!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:56

keefriff99
Yeah, but that was well after they'd broken up and it didn't seem like a reunion would ever happen.

Now that they've got Lindsey and Stevie back post-1997, people EXPECT those two to be fronting Fleetwood Mac shows.

I concur...was just pointing out the only time the past 40+ years they toured as Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey, Stevie or Christine.

And for me personally, I skipped all the Lindsey-Stevie fronted tours (2003-onward) precisely because of Christine's absence...didn't see them again until her return in 2014.

Date: April 18, 2017 04:36

Hairball
They could tour with just Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (along with some side musicians) - their namesake - and do it justice.
Might not sell out arenas, but they could go back to their blues roots and scrap the entire Buckingham/Nicks era (and the other shortlived Bob Welch era) to the delight of many.
True. It is rather funny that the band is named after the rhythm section, and yet Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and all the Rumours-era drama is all that most casual fans think of when the name is mentioned.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 19, 2017 15:42

keefriff99
Hairball
True. It is rather funny that the band is named after the rhythm section, and yet Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and all the Rumours-era drama is all that most casual fans think of when the name is mentioned.

I agree! But don't leave out Christine McVie.

Date: April 19, 2017 15:48

Date: April 19, 2017 16:01

Bliss
keefriff99
Hairball

I agree! But don't leave out Christine McVie.
Oh she's a key part of their sound, but I still think it's Steve/Lindsey, and then everyone else in terms of name recognition and popularity among casual fans.

Date: April 19, 2017 20:24

edit: nevermind. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 20:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 19, 2017 20:45

DandelionPowderman
The real Fleetwood Mac

The original, you mean?
Don't be fooled: Lindsey Buckingham > Peter Green. Always.

But a totally different band.

Date: April 19, 2017 21:13

BowieStone
DandelionPowderman
The real Fleetwood Mac

The original, you mean?
Don't be fooled: Lindsey Buckingham > Peter Green. Always.

But a totally different band.
To be honest, I have zero familiarity with the pre Buckingham/Nicks version of FM.

I know they were a great blues band, but just never checked them out. The most I know about them is Judas Priest's AWESOME cover of Green Manalishi.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home