Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT The Who - It´s Hard
Date: January 9, 2017 11:47

JumpinJimF
I played It's Hard a lot when it came out but I rarely play it now.

Listening to it recently I don't think it's such a bad album. The songs at least are pretty strong, the main problem is the 80s production and sound which ruined many an album in that decade.

Quadrophenia on the other hand is sublime...

+1

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 9, 2017 11:51

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJimF

Listening to it recently I don't think it's such a bad album. The songs at least are pretty strong, the main problem is the 80s production and sound which ruined many an album in that decade.

+1

We should make a list:

Bowie: Never Let Me Down and Tonight
Clapton: Behind The Sun
Stones: Dirty Work

etc...

Date: January 9, 2017 11:52

JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman
JumpinJimF

+1

We should make a list:

etc...

Eric Clapton – August
Status Quo – In The Army Now
Peter Wolf – Up To No Good
etc.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: January 9, 2017 12:16

Just listened to "Who's Last", the live document of the '82 tour, and thought it had aged well. Kenney Jones plays solidly, and John Entwistle is wicked good. No Facedances or It's Hard songs, though they played The Quiet One and several of the It's Hard tunes every night of that tour.

I saw them at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland in 1982. Having just seen them this past year in Seattle, it is clear that while Pino Palladino is capable, the Ox is irreplaceable.

Surprised no one has mentioned White City yet in this discussion. Townshend and David Gilmour were a dream pairing, and that album has many good moments.

I'm hoping that Pete decides to go back to solo performance again. I'd love to see him to back to playing the smaller theaters again.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 9, 2017 13:34

JumpinJimF

We should make a list:

etc...

Bowie´s Never Let Me Down & Tonight are great albums that can be found very often in my CD-player. NLMD has a bit too much keyboards on it, yes - but it also has Peter Frampton and a lot of very good Bowie-songs. Tonight is completely underrated, must be the fate of an album following the monster-success of Let´s Dance. But Tonight has a great variety of styles, sounds and moods. I love it. Imo, both NLMD & Tonight are much better albums than Let´s Dance.

DW? Most of it doesnt sound like 80s at all.
Clapton? Boring in the 70s, horrible in the 80s. After that I completely stopped caring about what he was relasing. I call him "master of boredom".
Out of curiosity i listened to some tracks of his latest album on spotify and stopped after 10 minutes, what a waste of time.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 9, 2017 13:46

HMS
JumpinJimF

We should make a list:

etc...

Bowie´s Never Let Me Down & Tonight are great albums that can be found very often in my CD-player. NLMD has a bit too much keyboards on it, yes - but it also has Peter Frampton and a lot of very good Bowie-songs. Tonight is completely underrated, must be the fate of an album following the monster-success of Let´s Dance. But Tonight has a great variety of styles, sounds and moods. I love it. Imo, both NLMD & Tonight are much better albums than Let´s Dance.

Clapton? Boring in the 70s, horrible in the 80s. After that I completely stopped caring about what he was relasing. I call him "master of boredom".
Out of curiosity i listened to some tracks of his latest album on spotify and stopped after 10 minutes, what a waste of time.

Well we all have our own personal tastes which is fine. Like you I think the those two Bowie albums have some good songs on them (e.g. the much later live version of Loving The Alien is excellent) but for me the 80s production drowns them. I listened to them both a lot when they came out, but now hardly at all compared with earlier "classic" Bowie and the later revival (Heathen/Reality/Next Day/Blackstar) which are superb.

I used to think that one person was 99% responsible for the dire "80s sound" that infected pop and rock at that time - but in the New Year spirit of not saying negative things about individuals I won't mention any names (though I am tempted)...

Date: January 9, 2017 13:47

<DW? Most of it doesnt sound like 80s at all.>

You better listen more closely to the drum sound...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2017 20:54

DandelionPowderman

... and well, just about everything on it.

Date: January 9, 2017 23:17

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

... and well, just about everything on it.

Harlem Shuffle, Had It With You, Too Rude and Sleep Tonight are timeless.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 9, 2017 23:31

I loved Harlem Shuffle when it came out, and even though it is a cover it had a very Stonesy sound.
With that said, they didn't change or add much to Bob and Earls version from '63 which will always be the superior version.

Date: January 9, 2017 23:36

DandelionPowderman

Not production wise.

Date: January 10, 2017 00:05

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Not production wise.

No 80s tricks on those tunes. The echo-effect on Too Rude was used as early as on Abbey Road + in Jamaican music in the 70s. Had It With You and Harlem Shuffle are Stripped pretty bare and all that's left is the reverb on the choir on Sleep Tonight. Not typical 80s production, imo.

Date: January 10, 2017 00:25

They still have a distinctly 80's sound and feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 00:25 by His Majesty.

Date: January 10, 2017 00:41

You hear what you wanna hear...

Date: January 10, 2017 00:53

DandelionPowderman

No, the 80's sound is about more than just effects.

The gear used, the way people sing and play, the sound of recordings, the mastering etc etc.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 04:08

TheGreek
Talking about the 1982 Who tour there is an excellent official release DVD from the show at New York Shea stadium , a show which I attended .

I was at that show too. Started working in NYC in '81.

Date: January 10, 2017 08:53

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

No, the 80's sound is about more than just effects.

The gear used, the way people sing and play, the sound of recordings, the mastering etc etc.

In general, yes, on Had It With You, no.

Date: January 10, 2017 09:26

DandelionPowderman

It is clearly not from the 1950's, 1960's, or early to mid 1970's.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 09:47

JumpinJimF
HMS
JumpinJimF

We should make a list:

etc...

Well we all have our own personal tastes which is fine. Like you I think the those two Bowie albums have some good songs on them (e.g. the much later live version of Loving The Alien is excellent) but for me the 80s production drowns them. I listened to them both a lot when they came out, but now hardly at all compared with earlier "classic" Bowie and the later revival (Heathen/Reality/Next Day/Blackstar) which are superb.

I used to think that one person was 99% responsible for the dire "80s sound" that infected pop and rock at that time - but in the New Year spirit of not saying negative things about individuals I won't mention any names (though I am tempted)...
Phil Collins? He came up with that big boomy gated reverb snare sound for In The Air.

Date: January 10, 2017 10:26

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Listen to It's Hard, then put on Harlem Shuffle and Had It With You - to put this in the right perspective smiling smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 14:38

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Listen to It's Hard, then put on Harlem Shuffle and Had It With You - to put this in the right perspective smiling smiley

Please do not make me listen to 80's Who!!! eye popping smileygrinning smiley

Date: January 10, 2017 14:39

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Please do not make me listen to 80's Who!!! eye popping smileygrinning smiley

But, but.. that was the context we started discussing DW's sound within smiling smiley

I'll let you off this time, he he..

Date: January 10, 2017 15:02

thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 10, 2017 15:12

There was some good '80s music, most of it done by new bands that were comfortable with the new technology.
A lot of the '60s bands, including the Stones, didn't seem comfortable with the changing technology, or put themselves into the hands of people who didn't help them.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 15:26

I was a teen in the '90s, so any music from the '80s that had the big, gated reverb snare drum sound and an overload of keyboards, sequencers and synth washes was unforgivably cheesy to my ears.

However, as I've gotten older and become more nostalgic, I've developed a lot of fondness for all those new wave and synth pop tunes. Yes, a lot of music from the '80s sounds way more dated than material from the '70s or '90s - it's sort of stuck in time, but there's a charm to it if you listen to it in the right light.

Date: January 10, 2017 16:02

keefriff99
I was a teen in the '90s, so any music from the '80s that had the big, gated reverb snare drum sound and an overload of keyboards, sequencers and synth washes was unforgivably cheesy to my ears.

However, as I've gotten older and become more nostalgic, I've developed a lot of fondness for all those new wave and synth pop tunes. Yes, a lot of music from the '80s sounds way more dated than material from the '70s or '90s - it's sort of stuck in time, but there's a charm to it if you listen to it in the right light.

Yup. thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home