Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Led Zeppelin at Earls Court 1975
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 4, 2017 07:11

During this song "In My Time of Dying" does anyone know what type of solid body guitar that Jimmy Page is playing slide with the thin pickups?

BTW, what a great version.

Re: OT - Led Zeppelin at Earls Court 1975
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 4, 2017 07:20

Danelectro

edit:
More info. here: 1961 Danelectro 3021

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-04 07:32 by Hairball.

Date: January 4, 2017 07:31

Hairball
Danelectro

That was quick, excellent thanks brother. Did Keith ever perform with one?

Date: January 4, 2017 07:34

Not sure about Keith Sicilian, but found more detailed info for Jimmy Page (see edit in my above post)

Date: January 4, 2017 07:45

Great find. That pretty much says it all. Thanks again. Now I have to check that site out. Lots of info.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 4, 2017 09:32

any idea why the video doesn't show up?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 4, 2017 13:21

The mighty Zeppelin takes flight once again .What a pleasant wake up surprise for me with Robert Plant wailing away as only he can hitting those high notes with his acrobatic vocals not to lest forget his operatic flourishes .Mr. Jimmy Page playing some of the finest metal slide guitar on his Danelectro ever, how he can make such a cheap guitar sing like that is truly a testament to his most virtuoso skill of the fretboard. This is a perfect example of how it does not matter one bit at all how fancy or expensive a guitar is because someone like Jimmy Page could play a piece of wood with some strings made out of window screens and if you just heard the music without seeing it you would not know if it was a vintage Les Paul or a Montgomery Wards Silvertone Guitar !!!

Date: January 4, 2017 13:25

Mr.Jimmy Page please grace us with a full release of this most wonderful and Historic concert from Earls Court 1975, with the full complete show on CD/DVD !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-04 13:25 by TheGreek.

Date: January 4, 2017 13:32

hbwriter
Look on the bottom of your page and it should have a box that asks you if you only want secure content shown or show all content (click show all content and it should then work for you )

Date: January 4, 2017 13:34

TheGreek
hbwriter
Look on the bottom of your page and it should have a box that asks you if you only want secure content shown or show all content (click show all content and it should then work for you )

Or the shield on top right (if you're using Chrome).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 4, 2017 13:47

Perhaps the most famous exponent of the Dan Electro was Syd Barrett who made it his trademark guitar.

Date: January 4, 2017 13:49

Mick used the Silvertone for Back Of My Hand and I Can't Be Satisfied, didn't he?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2017 14:49

I still wonder how guitars that were made out of Formica™ can be sold for a few grand these days...

Date: January 4, 2017 14:53

dcba
I still wonder how guitars that were made out of Formica™ can be sold for a few grand these days...

It's cardboard, more or less, isn't it?

Date: January 4, 2017 15:42

DandelionPowderman
Mick used the Silvertone for Back Of My Hand and I Can't Be Satisfied, didn't he?
Mick most certainly used the Silvertone for Back of My Hand from ABB. I am not positive but I think Pierre found and purchased the Silvertone for Mick

Date: January 4, 2017 15:48

Silver Dagger
Perhaps the most famous exponent of the Dan Electro was Syd Barrett who made it his trademark guitar.

This is one that I did not know , I just assumed that Syd played a Stratocaster .Look at a very young Roger Waters probably before he was filled with contempt for his audiences around the time of the Animals tour .

Date: January 4, 2017 18:33

As for Keith ever playing a Danelectro, found this tidbit > A Danelectro electric sitar is heard on “Suspicious.”

I remember reading that article last year, but what caught my attention most was:
“Goodnight Irene” features a truly historic Keef guitar: his 1963 Harmony 1270 12-string acoustic,
heard on classic Stones tracks from the Sixties such as “Good Times Bad Times,” “Play with Fire,” “Not Fade Away” and "Tell Me.

Date: January 5, 2017 04:20

TheGreek
The mighty Zeppelin takes flight once again .What a pleasant wake up surprise for me with Robert Plant wailing away as only he can hitting those high notes with his acrobatic vocals not to lest forget his operatic flourishes .Mr. Jimmy Page playing some of the finest metal slide guitar on his Danelectro ever, how he can make such a cheap guitar sing like that is truly a testament to his most virtuoso skill of the fretboard. This is a perfect example of how it does not matter one bit at all how fancy or expensive a guitar is because someone like Jimmy Page could play a piece of wood with some strings made out of window screens and if you just heard the music without seeing it you would not know if it was a vintage Les Paul or a Montgomery Wards Silvertone Guitar !!!

I agree 100%. I kind of loafed into it myself. I see this generic looking guitar getting ripped at the hands of a master. The video was almost filmed like a tutorial on finger placement.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 5, 2017 04:51

Silver Dagger

The guitar he made his trademark was the Fender Esquire though.

Date: January 5, 2017 04:52

Silver Dagger

Brilliant find. This looks like the quintessential high school garage band. There is no mistaking that guitar.

Date: January 5, 2017 04:52

Hairball
As for Keith ever playing a Danelectro, found this tidbit > A Danelectro electric sitar is heard on “Suspicious.”

I remember reading that article last year, but what caught my attention most was:
“Goodnight Irene” features a truly historic Keef guitar: his 1963 Harmony 1270 12-string acoustic,
heard on classic Stones tracks from the Sixties such as “Good Times Bad Times,” “Play with Fire,” “Not Fade Away” and "Tell Me.

He didn't use the 12 string on Play With Fire, but as you were. smileys with beer

Another one of the guitars that got a loooonnnnng stare at Exhibitionsism!!! eye popping smiley

Date: January 5, 2017 04:57

So what about Earl's Court? Is or was this venue the premier place for British rock bands to play or was it just another stop on the circuit? Did the Beatles or the Kinks play there?

Date: January 5, 2017 05:32

The Sicilian
So what about Earl's Court? Is or was this venue the premier place for British rock bands to play or was it just another stop on the circuit? Did the Beatles or the Kinks play there?

It was a large arena in London, and with the bigger PA's etc that became available in early 70's made it perfect for rock acts of the time.

I don't think The Beat era acts played there, it was more an Exhibition centre during that time. Cars shows etc etc.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: January 5, 2017 06:34

TheGreek
Mr. Jimmy Page playing some of the finest metal slide guitar on his Danelectro ever, how he can make such a cheap guitar sing like that is truly a testament to his most virtuoso skill of the fretboard. This is a perfect example of how it does not matter one bit at all how fancy or expensive a guitar is because someone like Jimmy Page could play a piece of wood with some strings made out of window screens and if you just heard the music without seeing it you would not know if it was a vintage Les Paul or a Montgomery Wards Silvertone Guitar !!!

The original 1950s/60s Danelectro's while made out of mostly cheap materials (they were designed to be affordable) are actually very playable guitars with slim necks and low actions that make them a pleasure to play, they are leaps and bounds above other entry level instruments of the era. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes the twang of a Telecaster and wants to try something a little different.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 5, 2017 11:42

His Majesty
The Sicilian

It was a large arena in London, and with the bigger PA's etc that became available in early 70's made it perfect for rock acts of the time.

I don't think The Beat era acts played there, it was more an Exhibition centre during that time. Cars shows etc etc.

As far as I can remember the first rock show there was David Bowie in summer 73 which was savaged by fans and critics alike for its poor sound. Totally cavernous.

Other bands that played there in its heyday were Led Zeppelin - 5 nights in May 75; the Stones, of course - 6 nights in May 76; Genesis - in summer 77; and Pink Floyd doing The Wall - 4 shows in both 1980 and 1981.

Madonna, Queen and Michael Jackson also played there.

Date: January 5, 2017 14:08

ChrisMahavishnu
TheGreek
Mr. Jimmy Page playing some of the finest metal slide guitar on his Danelectro ever, how he can make such a cheap guitar sing like that is truly a testament to his most virtuoso skill of the fretboard. This is a perfect example of how it does not matter one bit at all how fancy or expensive a guitar is because someone like Jimmy Page could play a piece of wood with some strings made out of window screens and if you just heard the music without seeing it you would not know if it was a vintage Les Paul or a Montgomery Wards Silvertone Guitar !!!

The original 1950s/60s Danelectro's while made out of mostly cheap materials (they were designed to be affordable) are actually very playable guitars with slim necks and low actions that make them a pleasure to play, they are leaps and bounds above other entry level instruments of the era. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes the twang of a Telecaster and wants to try something a little different.

Low action and slide guitar is a bad match, though.. winking smiley

Date: January 5, 2017 14:17

His Majesty
Silver Dagger

The guitar he made his trademark was the Fender Esquire though.
You are so right , you just jogged my memory of old photos that I had seen a long time ago with Syd playing the Esquire .

Date: January 5, 2017 14:21

DandelionPowderman
ChrisMahavishnu
TheGreek

Low action and slide guitar is a bad match, though.. winking smiley
You just made me smile because that is so true and I think back to guy's playing Tele's with the action up so high to get the slide sound .

Date: January 5, 2017 14:25

Talking about Earls Court made me think of certain bands being banned from playing Royal Albert Hall because of her Majesty complaining that the sound was to loud and thus these bands were kicked over to Earls Court.

Date: January 5, 2017 14:41

Silver Dagger
His Majesty
The Sicilian

As far as I can remember the first rock show there was David Bowie in summer 73 which was savaged by fans and critics alike for its poor sound. Totally cavernous.

Other bands that played there in its heyday were Led Zeppelin - 5 nights in May 75; the Stones, of course - 6 nights in May 76; Genesis - in summer 77; and Pink Floyd doing The Wall - 4 shows in both 1980 and 1981.

Madonna, Queen and Michael Jackson also played there.
Columbia Records and Pink Floyd put out a live release of one of these Earls Court shows .I do not remember if it was 80 or 81 .I do remember that Rick Wright had been fired from the Floyd and was allowed to play these shows in order to fulfill there obligations to Columbia Records .They played a number of shows in the Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey and the Earls Court shows and that was it for the tour in support of The Wall .The reason cited was that it was because of the cost of putting on an extravaganza of a spectacle that was The Wall .This info was from the back of my memory from a feature Rolling Stone article about Pink Floyd's masterpiece The Wall .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home