Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Carrie Fisher RIP
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 09:31

I loved Carrie Fisher. As far as I can love actors that I didn't know personally. I thought she was cool. So, hopefully this moment of me babbling doesn't offend anyone here either. People can be so offended by words on these screens sometimes. The world did fall in love with Princess Leia in Star Wars.

I thought Steve Martin's tweet was a heartfelt tweet for someone who died, that he knew, that he had met. What was so odd about what he said? Maybe we should be asking ourselves why does Twitter have power over people? Why does everybody seem to be scrutinizing and obsessing about whatever someone tweets all the time? God bless Carrie Fisher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-29 09:59 by Socrates1.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 30, 2016 01:49

There was NOTHING wrong with Steve Martin's tweet and it's a shame he was bullied into taking it down.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 30, 2016 05:28

Long John Stoner
There was NOTHING wrong with Steve Martin's tweet and it's a shame he was bullied into taking it down.

Agree. Long John. He was basically saying he had a young man's crush on her and later, as he matured, he came to appreciate her intelligence and sense of humor. The reaction has been idiotic.

Date: December 30, 2016 06:33

latebloomer
Long John Stoner

Agree. Long John. He was basically saying he had a young man's crush on her and later, as he matured, he came to appreciate her intelligence and sense of humor. The reaction has been idiotic.

agreed

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 30, 2016 13:38

Socrates1
TheGreek
For the sake of accuracy from the cast list for Rogue one (which I seen on Friday ) Princess Leia from the back view is played by Ingvild Deila .From the front it is Carrie Fisher's face via digital work and her hand is Ingvild Delia. The movie was tremendous .Star Wars fans get to the movies and see this one .

Cool, I was wondering how they did that. Whatever you do, don't tell The Sicilian. I just figured everybody could automatically stop reading something if they wanted to. I can.
Yes, I did read that earlier and you just made me laugh .

Date: December 30, 2016 13:41

MisterDDDD
From the twitter:
"Carrie Fisher went out the way most women would want to: after telling the world she f*cked Harrison Ford in his prime."
cool smiley
Very bad a@# (in a good way of course)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 2, 2017 19:45

keefriffhard4life
latebloomer
Long John Stoner

agreed

I concur

Date: January 2, 2017 20:41

God, this is sad. I don't want to keep commenting on that Steve Martin tweet. However, I just feel it's worth mentioning: Carrie Fisher tweeted about her daughter being "Witty & pretty," last October.

There's a screenshot of Carrie's tweet in this huffingtonpost article. See, it's OK to say people are witty and pretty.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Carrie Fisher @carrieffisher
What's happening twitter asks? My daughter Billie Lourd from Scream Queens.She's MUCH more than my kid.Witty & pretty,I aspire 2 deserve her
5:13 PM - 15 Oct 2016
940 940 Retweets 6,228 6,228 likes

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 2, 2017 21:27

Wow, people are still talking about that Steve Martin tweet? There may be other reasons he took it down, including not wanting to potentially offend his current wife. Carrie did once claim they had a brief fling. It was long before he met his wife, but still. Considering he had thousands of like and retweets according to the screenshot of the tweet, more people liked it than the small handful of exceptions.

Date: January 2, 2017 21:37

I don't think anyone really wants to talk about Steve Martin's tweet. We're just here and we're commenting on it. What is appropriate on the internet? It seems like we're in an age of rewriting societal norms. And we're probably sucking at it. We let all the major stuff go, then we get hung-up on a Steve Matin tweet.

And I appreciate a woman's perspective on all this, Marianna. I'm a dude. I can't be any kind of spokesperson for feminism. I just wonder what feminism is these days. I'm still waiting for someone to explain it to me. Does it involve women walking around in burlap sacks? I mean, I don't think it does.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 3, 2017 04:10

Steve also collaborated recently on a Broadway musical with Paul Simon's current wife, Edie Brickell. Many interconnections.

(And fwiw I agree Steve's remarks were affectionate and appropriate, can't believe the fuss over that.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-03 04:12 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 3, 2017 05:12

Some people are suffocating on political correctness and want everyone else to, too.

I think it's a fair guess that he knew her well enough to know that she would have got his humour.............but when the PC cops are out, watch out ..........confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-03 05:13 by EddieByword.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 3, 2017 10:24

She was such a great writer and wasn't afriad to dig deep. A ridulously funny and capable smartass. She really never brooked too much bullshit. Mostly I admire her for being unflinchly honest and vulnerable, despite the tude and quick remarks...the crazy years of drug abuse, the bipolar diagnosis and onto God know what medications that can give you that heart attack, or make one more severe and threatening. she was priviliged yes. but also suffered inordinately and tragically. She was very open about her problems to the point that it really gave important info a national prescence. I heard an actor say that up close and personal she was intimately open and caring and the kind of person you could tell anything and absolutely trust. That's how I'll remember her, not the other stuff so much, i was a little too old for star trek, i mean wars...i did enjoy, took my step son, dug the zen. Rest in peace poor little rich girl. its sort of heartbreaking.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-03 11:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 22, 2017 06:49

Carrie Fisher's autopsy report found cocaine, heroin, methadone, and ecstasy in her system when she died.

[Carrie Fisher autopsy report]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 22, 2017 10:09

Such a sad thing to be famous for so many years, only to have your last newsworthy event being what strangers found when they were rummaging through the carcass you left behind. Makes you wonder if it was even worth it anyway.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2017 10:18

The Sicilian
Carrie Fisher's autopsy report found cocaine, heroin, methadone, and ecstasy in her system when she died.

John Belushi would have been proud! hot smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 22, 2017 11:01

dcba
The Sicilian

That's a lethal cocktail if I've ever heard of one - wow...enough to take down an elephant! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2017 13:03

John Belushi would have been proud!

mmmmmm and both he and Carrie were in the Blues Brothers film ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 22, 2017 13:41

i don't think belushi would have been proud. i think he would have wanted his young life back so that he could share love and his talent with people; and would have probably been pretty upset about a friend's death and suffering.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2017 13:59

I cab't remember the exact moments - but Princess leiha said to Hans Solo "I love you and he replied "I know." Opposite occurrence happened in other sequel where the words were reversely exchanged.

Also another line used in several sequels by various actors- " I have a bad feeling about this"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 22, 2017 15:36

stonehearted
Such a sad thing to be famous for so many years, only to have your last newsworthy event being what strangers found when they were rummaging through the carcass you left behind. Makes you wonder if it was even worth it anyway.
It's absolutely ghoulish. She was an awesome woman, and everyone knew she had her problems.

I know gory details like this hold prurient interest for people, but it does nothing but besmirch the image of these famous people.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2017 16:20

The thing is how many people talking about the public disclosure of her autopsy still use or have used illegal drugs? If someone never has, I understand the shocked reaction to some extent. For most, it reeks of hypocrisy. The truth was, like many addicts, she spent decades trying to clean up only to fall off the wagon. Of course, many people like to say they're not addicts, they're smart about their drug use. For everyone else, her death should either be a wake-up call or at least a "there but for the grace of God go I" moment.

Date: June 22, 2017 16:59

Yes; and traces of this and that are not necessarily the cause of death. There had been a lot of legal medicines over decades for conditions. Some of the medicines can have horribly life-shortening effects as well. This tragedy. Her Mom dying the next day. I see no romance in this kind of sadness. It might have been prescription drugs that took her vitality and very life more than anything. We are gawkers without a personal clue as to the reality of her situation. I very much doubt that was the total analysis and findings of every pharmaceutical in her body. And like some have said here; it's maudlin, disrepectful. I get that that's the way these things go, but it still sucks. I remember the 10th Anniversary of Morrison's death and RS Hagzine put that shirtless picture of him on the cover with the lion's mane intensity and captioned the very front cover "He's Young, He's Hot. He's Dead" (or VERY close to that) ... and i'm far from prudish, and I DO have an ironic, not cynical but black sense of humor about death/tragedy things; ala Monty Python and etc...but somehow, i dunno; this young guy dies somehow. and this is the best they can do. I 'get' that it can be seen as a clever 'hidden' statement...like as if the Editors are making the reverse point, ala 'we're more popular than Jesus' not meaning to put down believers, but making an ironic comment about the ridiculousness of Beatlemania past a point...
...but i don't think it was that 'advanced' a concept; I htought it sucked and never looked at that magazine ever again with same repect, or thinking it was more important than Mad Magzine. Actually, as far as satire and cultural cricism Mad might have beat.
i think it was made to be sensational and move product off the stands and they did not mind taking the cats last humanity and gift, and the gift that he really was earnest about delivering, and at a very very young age...and diminishing it; bringing him down to their level. wanna-be rockstars fascinated by the glam and movies and spectacle, sometimes trying to diminish people that somehow lurched out of boyhood and actually achieved making a huge artistic contribution that millions appreciated. I didn't know her. I don't take it personally. I guess it's nothing new. Jayne Mansfield, James Dean...the rags in the fifties must have been worse; but it's sort of sad in a way too; very sad i think...she was pretty vibant...everybodys on drugs. it may be the devil it may be the Lord you're gonna have to serve somebody...money and power is a dangerous drug. Ego arrogance and willful ignorance is a power trip that changes brain chemistry.

Drugs? Prescribed and street you see a lot of damage in a city. I'm not in that 'culture' or zone and can't say I understand or know, nor censor or diminish any other comments; no one is being cruel or anything here but as for the press...this is ugly stuff to promote and project and i am 100% sure it is not the complete story or taking things in context. It is not even the official cause of death I don't think; but there you go. There are a LOT of things a journalist or reporter could look into about her diseases and medications that would benefit understanding; a very important thing to her; communicating openly about illness' that others don't understand. She probably helped a lot of young fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 17:20 by hopkins.

Date: June 22, 2017 17:17

Well said and I agree with your point of view and I believe this is your best post .

Date: June 22, 2017 17:23

Oh goodness; i just shortened this while you wrote that. I felt self-concious abou it. Hopefully didn't kill the jist of it. Thank you; much appreciated. I respect her.
Probably excised the stuff I shouldn't have... i blew it; no more self-censoring; and i am trying to clean up the grammar too;... but you know and I know and I appreciate it, thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 17:33 by hopkins.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 22, 2017 17:53

dcba
The Sicilian

yeah I'm sure he liked the fact that she was an addict. What's wrong with you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 19:55 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: June 22, 2017 18:01

Princess Leia has to be in episode 9 too!!!

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2017 18:54

If anyone has anything bad to say about her and make negative remarks, which are defamatory - get a life The Star War Movies were Great and she she deserves her place in fame.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 22, 2017 18:58

Chris Fountain
If anyone has anything bad to say about her and make negative remarks, which are defamatory - get a life The Star War Movies were Great and she she deserves her place in fame.

well said

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 22, 2017 20:52

I'm not surprised about the drugs, considering her long struggle.
That does not diminish my admiration of her writing, acting or general persona.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1418
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home