Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Anthology
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 12:02

What do you think about a release of a series of CD+DVD's spanning their whole career with outtakes,demos, live performances, interviews, backstage, private life and so on...A 15-20 CD's+DVD's series like the Beatles 20 years ago...It should be amazing!

Re: Stones Anthology
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 14, 2016 12:06

....and expensive

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 13:00

KeithNacho
....and expensive

...and we'd buy it on the release day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 13:40 by 1962.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:01

mailexile67
What do you think about a release of a series of CD+DVD's spanning their whole career with outtakes,demos, live performances, interviews, backstage, private life and so on...A 15-20 CD's+DVD's series like the Beatles 20 years ago...It should be amazing!

In the background there is already a lot of stuff gathered together for an anthology, mainly during the several deluxe releases we had.
But this will only happen when The Stones as a band are "dead", when it is absolutly sure that they will never perform or record again.
Then the surviving members or there heirs will finalyse such a project and release as short as possible after the their final bow.

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:04

Yep,

It would be a product that a few of the well healed amongst us wouldn't be able to resist buying...but which most of them wouldn't need because they'd collected all that stuff already.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:46

I love this idea. Hope it's in the plans.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:54

Nice try, Mick.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:55

mailexile67
outtakes,demos, live performances, interviews, backstage, private life and so on...

Why private life? It's called private for a reason.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 14, 2016 15:44

A massive anthology project is a noble idea but....

...I've been a avid Stones collector and fan for over forty years. There is virtually nothing I haven't heard or read or own about the band. I've spent thousands of dollars on my Stones passion so virtually nothing in a massive anthology would be new to me. What little might be enlightening wouldn't be worth the investment. I think many on this forum would concur.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 14, 2016 17:02

rbk
A massive anthology project is a noble idea but....

...I've been a avid Stones collector and fan for over forty years. There is virtually nothing I haven't heard or read or own about the band. I've spent thousands of dollars on my Stones passion so virtually nothing in a massive anthology would be new to me. What little might be enlightening wouldn't be worth the investment. I think many on this forum would concur.

And I doubt it would sell very well. Average concert goers (which is most), probably could care less about it and those that may have somewhat an interest may not due to the cost. So it would really be targeted toward people like you and me but how many are there of us? And the longer they wait to release it, probably the less amount of people there are waiting for it. So moral of the story, if they are going to do it, do it NOW...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2016 18:51

I think the Beatles Anthology was broken up into separate volumes (I,II,and III) making it easier/more affordable to purchase.
The Stones should do the same...they could make it five or six volumes by now, although the best selling would no doubt be volumes I-III.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 14, 2016 18:53

Surprised at the negativity.'The Beatles Anthology (videos) unearthed some interesting footage as well as new interviews with the surviving members.
The 3 albums were a bit uneven I have to say. However just hearing Jonn's first take of Strawberry Fields was/is priceless.
The commercial success of the whole project was such that it gave George a much needed financial lift, at a time when he needed it.

There must be some Stones gems around, and to have them in or two sets would be good.Would there really be no interest in some visual footage lieing in the vaults?
I'm sure the Who released a film many years ago, The Kids are alright (?).
I understand Eric Clapton's team is working on a visual Anthology spanning his whole career....they must assume its got commercial viability. So you don't have
to be deceased/retired/ no more or whatever.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 14, 2016 19:38

mailexile67

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 14, 2016 20:36

I don't believe it.

However, Jagger said years back that outtakes and rarities attatched to a specific album, made sense for them, hence the recent deluxe edtions of certain albums.

Don't expect outtakes of Undercover material just yet, but be prepared to future deluxe treatments of Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, to which Jagger told that Don Was was expressing interest in doing. Considering the fine releations to ABKCO over the last 30 years, it appears to be forthcoming sometime.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 14, 2016 20:51

Love the concept!
After they are no longer an active band would be my preference tho.

Too busy (them and fans) looking forward...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:41

Blueranger
I don't believe it.

However, Jagger said years back that outtakes and rarities attatched to a specific album, made sense for them, hence the recent deluxe edtions of certain albums.

Don't expect outtakes of Undercover material just yet, but be prepared to future deluxe treatments of Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, to which Jagger told that Don Was was expressing interest in doing. Considering the fine releations to ABKCO over the last 30 years, it appears to be forthcoming sometime.

Imo next project will be deluxe version of Goats Head Soup. There is good stuff for a CD bonus: Drift Away, Through the lonely nights, Living in the heart of love, Criss Cross, Separately, Fast Talking,You Should Have Seen Her Ass...

Date: December 14, 2016 23:55

Blueranger
I don't believe it.

This would be surprising, even if they do have a better business relationship these days.
ABKCO have their own team of archivists....so why use Mr Was?
ABKCO hold all the copyrights and masters....would there much financial incentive for The Stones?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 15, 2016 00:08

jlowe

I don't believe it.

This would be surprising, even if they do have a better business relationship these days.
ABKCO have their own team of archivists....so why use Mr Was?
ABKCO hold all the copyrights and masters....would there much financial incentive for The Stones?

Yes. Because the band still recieve plenty of royalities and every ABKCO release since 1989 has been sanctioned and signed off by the band.
The masters are kept in shared vaults and both parties have collaborated on several releases over the years. Read the IORR interview with Jody Klein and you will get the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 00:09 by Blueranger.

Date: December 15, 2016 00:19

Yes, of course.
40 Licks was a step forward also (2004).
Though even that wasn't all plain sailing with the group issuing a lawsuit in 2005 over royalties dispute. Not sure how it was settled.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 15, 2016 11:45

mailexile67

It would be amazing but I'm not sure the band have any interest in raking over their history in any detailed way while they're still working. I'm pretty satisfied with the occasional deluxe upgrade and the From the Vaults series.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:41

The only way I'd be interested in buying something like this if it contained unreleased - finished or not - tracks from 1968-1983.

Date: December 15, 2016 18:23

Father Ted

It would be amazing but I'm not sure the band have any interest in raking over their history in any detailed way while they're still working. I'm pretty satisfied with the occasional deluxe upgrade and the From the Vaults series.

I'm not sure the band members (except perhaps Mick) would devote much time to any project.
They have/would have a team to deal with it.
Apparantly, Dylan's input to the excellent Bootleg series is actually quite minimal.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 16, 2016 12:05

I can't say that I have a single Stones-bootleg with interesting material recorded in a studio ... Is there really anything to give out?

2 1 2 0

Date: December 16, 2016 13:48

Isn't that what Ian has over at his TIOMS site? In the 3rd section? I've always seen that as the ultimate compilation assembled. One day it will be realized and cast in stone, maybe.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: December 18, 2016 04:17

KRiffhard

I don't believe it.

Imo next project will be deluxe version of Goats Head Soup. There is good stuff for a CD bonus: Drift Away, Through the lonely nights, Living in the heart of love, Criss Cross, Separately, Fast Talking,You Should Have Seen Her Ass...

Drift Away and Living In The Heart Of Love are It's Only Rock 'N' Roll outtakes and Through The Lonely Nights was already officially released on the Rarities disc. It's doubtful they would include Through The Lonely Nights on a Goats Head Soup Super Deluxe Edition since they didn't include things like Everything's Turning To Gold on the Some Girls Super Deluxe Edition.

Tattoo You would be a likely candidate because it was good seller due to Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend and they could include unused outtakes from the seventies if they decided not to release Super Deluxe Editions for every album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-18 04:24 by boogaloojef.

Date: December 18, 2016 22:22

Hairball
I think the Beatles Anthology was broken up into separate volumes (I,II,and III) making it easier/more affordable to purchase.
The Stones should do the same...they could make it five or six volumes by now, although the best selling would no doubt be volumes I-III.

I bought ANTHOLOGY 2 first. I got ANTHOLOGY 1 last. I heard I Am The Walrus in Tower Records and was on the side of the store that only the drums were coming out of the speakers and it stopped me in my tracks.

ANTHOLOGY 3 is great with the acoustic demos of songs that went on THE BEATLES and ABBEY ROAD. Fantastic stuff. The Stones almost sort of did that with the EXILE extra but acted like they were giving too much away or whatever. Quite pathetic, really, that so very little was included.

A Stones anthology series would be good but only if it's not previously released material. 1 could be 1964-1967 recordings; 2 could be 1968-1974 recordings and 3 could be 1975-1983 recordings. They could do 2 disc albums just like The Beatles were, with singles including extra tracks like the two singles The Beatles did.

After 3 it's pretty much pointless.

But they could do 4: 1985-1991 with the good stuff they didn't put on DIRTY WORK (which, aside from Harlem Shuffle, is anything) and the few leftovers etc from STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT (although it would probably have to be a 1 disc edition so it might sell). 5 could be 1993-1999 with the good leftovers from the VOODOO sessions and whatever live tracks from the BRIDGES tour and the 1999 tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 18, 2016 23:43

I think they should include everything on it, and call it STONES EVERYTHING!

If it's successful, they could have a follow-up call MORE EVERYTHING! (Mammoth Hits & Fried Bananas)

Date: December 19, 2016 16:15

Would it have all 2 remixes of Harlem Shuffle on it?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 20, 2016 10:53

I'd estimate there are enough unreleased tracks to fill at least 3 CDs, if you include the tracks booted on Place Pigalle and the More Fast Numbers series. If you expand that to include alternate takes and live shows, then they've easily got enough material to fill a substantial multi-box set. Include at least one complete DVD show and some comprehensive reading material and you've got a go-er.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 20, 2016 11:31

i think the Problem with unreleased Stones Songs is mainly, that many of them are unfinished. they dont record thirty Songs and release just 12 and the rest are finished outtakes, they usually jam and go down from lets say 5o to 30 to 20 tracks and finish not really more than what gets released....

and, wasnt there a talk about such a Project what became 40 licks, that they would do something like the anthology Project, if i remember correctly

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home