Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: seriously, one of the coolest things ever (spin the globe...discover radio almost anywhere)
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 14, 2016 11:44

¸¸.•*¨*• This is extremely excellent. Check it out! click here: Radio Garden •*¨*•.¸¸

An hour just disappeared--listening to crazy music in Tibet, romantic schmaltz tunes in Italy, jokesters outside Beijing, good-morning show in town in Austria I lived 30 years ago, global warming discussions in west Ireland, far-out Franco-Country-Western music from the edge of Canada, what sounded like Maori music in New Zealand, and right now--no kidding--Mamas and the Papas shouting out place names in "Dancin in the Street" from a radio station in tiny Ocean Grove, Washington. And now---exuberantly swinging vibraphone piano jazz jam Art Tatum--Lionel Hampton--Buddy Rich--"Makin Whoopee" from Los Altos!

Whooooo!

Give it a whirl!

Sure makes you feel buoyed up hearing music ringing out all over this planet -- from the busiest metrops to tiny basement radio stations.

-swiss

ps - I'm surprised no one has found this radio-globe incredibly fun cool and inspiring! I'm listening to "The Locomotion" on a radio station in Kanoya Japan (Osumi Peninsula, pop. 100,000) known for having one of the biggest rose gardens in Japan ---- followed by a very charming sort of indy-shoegaze song on a radio station I navigated to "nearby" in Vladivostok, Russia, which then segued into a Russian version of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 04:55 by swiss.

Re: OT: Radio Garden - one of the coolest things ever (spin the globe ... discover radio)
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 14, 2016 18:44

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

Re: OT: Radio Garden - one of the coolest things ever (spin the globe ... discover radio)
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 14, 2016 19:01

Love it, thanks!!!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 14, 2016 19:41

This is totally cool.

I wasn't sure whether to post it or not, but now that it is I would love to see hear what other people are finding.... or hear what people's favorite local radio is that streams.

I imagine as this thing improves they will add genres and volume and maybe get rid of the static and add a "buttons" on screen to skip right through your favorite stations... like the radio button in your car... without having to zoom out and in again. I think think the static and zooming is more theater than anything else.

Here are some I found...

Moscow Metal

Block Island Classical Music

Denmark pop/rock TigerFM

Lima Peru pop/rock

Voice of Russia from Moscow Talk Radio

Maryland ESPN sports radio

JAZZ

Toronto oldies

Netherlands classic rock

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 20:00 by HankM.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2016 23:18

That's great Swiss thanks.............always love to listen WWW radio stations

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2016 23:37

Start Me Up played in Sofia Bulgaria grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2016 04:18

dmay
Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.
Wild Slivovitz
Love it, thanks!!!

So glad you guys like it -- I've shared it on Facebook and mostly crickets!

HankM
This is totally cool.

I wasn't sure whether to post it or not, but now that it is I would love to see hear what other people are finding.... or hear what people's favorite local radio is that streams.

I imagine as this thing improves they will add genres and volume and maybe get rid of the static and add a "buttons" on screen to skip right through your favorite stations... like the radio button in your car... without having to zoom out and in again. I think think the static and zooming is more theater than anything else.

Here are some I found...

How long have you been aware of this? I just was turned onto it yesterday and really loving it.

I don't have any favorites yet---and am finding some of my favorite surprises are multi-genre stations.

For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the sensation and experience of ending up in Bhutan or Pakistan and listening to their wild shit, or dropping in on random delights wherever. Like right now there's a station located a few miles from me in Las Vegas playing Mazzy Star's "Into Dust," which I hadn't heard since 1994, followed by an old Nick Cave song that's new to me.

I don't know whether I want it to become more organized. I definitely would not use the verb "improve" to describe how it might change or evolve over time----in a way, I wouldn't mind if stations appear and disappear without fanfare or documentation. Then again: that's my preference for almost everything in life. I love best when something is new and raw, not locked down or polished, lack self-consciousness and allow for space and freedom in how you experience it, and can change on a dime...or even disappear and cease to be. Then again, ironically, professionally, I would be a designer of a "better" experience. I love the static and zooming right now. It's thrilling to me to travel the globe zooming in and out. Ending up on a tiny island part of an archipelego of 136 in the South Pacific with 1 radio station. I do appreciate your referring to it as "theatre" tho - it is! smiling smiley Never thought of "theatre" in terms of user experience, but it's a great call.

NICOS
That's great Swiss thanks.............always love to listen WWW radio stations

Start Me Up played in Sofia Bulgaria grinning smiley

That's so rad, man -- love it -- so glad you're into it, NICOS!

One of the things I find so cool is it's a mish-mash of pirate and web radio, plus huge established commercial stations. I'm so digging that aspect of it.

-swiss

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2016 04:35

swiss
One of the things I find so cool is it's a mish-mash of pirate and web radio, plus huge established commercial stations. I'm so digging that aspect of it.

-swiss

When I read the title thread I thought somehow it could have something to do with John Peel's Perfumed Garden radio show, but given the wide range of different radio stations and musical genres perhaps it has, although not intentionally.

This is very cool indeed, and I already bookmarked that website. Thanks for sharing, swiss. smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2016 04:54

Cristiano Radtke

When I read the title thread I thought somehow it could have something to do with John Peel's Perfumed Garden radio show, but given the wide range of different radio stations and musical genres perhaps it has, although not intentionally.

This is very cool indeed, and I already bookmarked that website. Thanks for sharing, swiss. smiling smiley

Yay -- glad you liked, Cristiano. I haven't headed to South America, but I will now to see whether there's a radio station near you.

THIS is what I'm listening to right now--it's like miles from my house--seems like a couple in their 50s is running it.

I'm going to change the Subject - maybe it's confusing to people.

thanks!
-swiss

Date: December 15, 2016 04:59

swiss

This is totally cool.

Here are some I found...

How long have you been aware of this? I just was turned onto it yesterday and really loving it.

I don't have any favorites yet---and am finding some of my favorite surprises are multi-genre stations.

For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the sensation and experience of ending up in Bhutan or Pakistan and listening to their wild shit, or dropping in on random delights wherever. Like right now there's a station located a few miles from me in Las Vegas playing Mazzy Star's "Into Dust," which I hadn't heard since 1994, followed by an old Nick Cave song that's new to me.

I don't know whether I want it to become more organized. I definitely would not use the verb "improve" to describe how it might change or evolve over time----in a way, I wouldn't mind if stations appear and disappear without fanfare or documentation. Then again: that's my preference for almost everything in life. I love best when something is new and raw, not locked down or polished, lack self-consciousness and allow for space and freedom in how you experience it, and can change on a dime...or even disappear and cease to be. Then again, ironically, professionally, I would be a designer of a "better" experience. I love the static and zooming right now. It's thrilling to me to travel the globe zooming in and out. Ending up on a tiny island part of an archipelego of 136 in the South Pacific with 1 radio station. I do appreciate your referring to it as "theatre" tho - it is! smiling smiley Never thought of "theatre" in terms of user experience, but it's a great call.

That's so rad, man -- love it -- so glad you're into it, NICOS!

-swiss

I found about it earlier this week from a reddit internet ideas thing [www.reddit.com]

I agree that it is soooooo much fun spinning around the world, taking a trip to someplace I will probably never go and then tuning in, it is fun. It is like (the original) Dr Doolittle when he spun the globe and found their destination.

There are soooooo radio stations many around the big ole world, but it is a small world after all. Even if I can not understand what they are saying, "the way they saying it", is the same way intonationing YELLING hyping!! grinning smiley I heard listening to AM radio under my bad sheets late at night back when I was kid. DIS IS BALLTHER BEBOCK and you're listening to KSNSMSUTHINOROTHER, HOME OF WHATEVER!! said in some language I have no idea what it is... but it is fun!

The buttons would be a nice option because I love to FIRE a song instantly GONE and move to another station to give them a try..... until they are fired! Well... not really fired..... just "layed off" until I come back around the buttons smiling smiley
Depending on what I am in the mood to hear.

I do like the map though... exploring is fun... but I will;l probably never be in the mood for CHANTING FM COMING TO YOU FROM TURKEY!!!! .... AND NOW BACK TO THE CHANTING!!! grinning smiley

I am probably going to push the button for ROCK ROMA RADIO!!!! COMING TO YOU FROM ROME!!!

I love it... radio has been dead to me for years. My local stations are long dead. They used to be so diverse, now it is... who knows.

Now I can SWING ON DOWN TO LEMOGES FRANCE

One thing I do to "make it go" (create buttons) is open up several windows,
each tuned in to a cool station and use the individual window mute to bounce around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 05:07 by HankM.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2016 05:10

swiss
THIS is what I'm listening to right now--it's like miles from my house--seems like a couple in their 50s is running it.

thanks!
-swiss

What a coincidence! I used to listen to that radio station via TuneIn when I was in LA last year. Once in a while I tune into that station again, which has a very interesting musical selection.

Date: December 15, 2016 05:32

Cristiano Radtke
What a coincidence! I used to listen to that radio station via TuneIn when I was in LA last year. Once in a while I tune into that station again, which has a very interesting musical selection.

Cristiano, that is a coincidence! I'm thinking it might be fun to introduce myself to them. Maybe I could do a radio show for them, hmm...

Right now listening to an Irish-language station. Agreeing with Hank above--in a way sometimes it's not even necessary to understand the language.

-swiss

Date: December 15, 2016 06:51

swiss

Right now listening to an Irish-language station. Agreeing with Hank above--in a way sometimes it's not even necessary to understand the language.

-swiss

I think if I drink some(abunch) more I might be able understand that guy perfectly winking smiley
In the mean time I traveled just to the East of Costello and GALWAY BAY is poppin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 06:53 by HankM.

Date: December 15, 2016 07:52

HankM

-swiss

I think if I drink some(abunch) more I might be able understand that guy perfectly winking smiley
In the mean time I traveled just to the East of Costello and GALWAY BAY is poppin

They were playing Al Stewart in Galway when I checked - looked all over Ireland for "Irish music" and found none spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I remember in Ireland youngerer people calling that "deedle-dee music."

Re: OT: seriously, one of the coolest things ever (spin the globe...discover radio almost anywhere)
Date: December 15, 2016 10:42

I couldn't get out of Thailand

Re: OT: seriously, one of the coolest things ever (spin the globe...discover radio almost anywhere)
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 15, 2016 11:08

Wow, that's very impressive! Thanks for posting.

Date: December 15, 2016 12:21

swiss

-swiss

They were playing Al Stewart in Galway when I checked - looked all over Ireland for "Irish music" and found none spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I remember in Ireland youngerer people calling that "deedle-dee music."

It is interesting to see what is there and what is not. I wonder who decides which streaming station are allowed to be included in the garden and which ones are not. I wonder if some stations have to pay, or do some get paid... or some stations say they dont want to be listed... or how any of that works. It is interesting.

I know it is still new and developing... so just my an observations, for instance it seems like some stations I tune to are seemingly playing whatever is is live at the moment, while it seems other stations "sense" that I just tuned in and they play a lil blurb/jingle/ad each time I go there.

It makes me I wonder if everyone is hearing the exact same thing as everyone else, all around the world or is someone "they" applying some type of "region" censoring like they do on DVDs? e.g. Region 1 2 3 4

I am certainly not complaining, there is so much there, it is awesome... I am just wondering out loud. Mainly I want my friend swiss to be able to find "deedle-dee music" whenever she is in the mood for it.smiling smiley

So... how about some GT RIDDIM from French Guiana... Irie mon

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 15, 2016 19:37

This is so great thank you Swiss. Just really a portal to fascination. I'm digging Radio Veneto Uno. Some great rock, really together; i can't understand a word but the music and vocals are so good...and the production...proof of the pudding was they inserted Play With Fire into the set...and it was so stark, so different, so haunting calm and knowing...etheral but earthy...i sometimes forget the simple power of their biggest yesteryear hits, way before Sticky and Exile. The only English speaking artists i've heard from their offerings...it stuck out musically tho...
...it was really poweful and it fit right in, in that it felt COMPLETELY contemporary and ageless timewise. i can undertand fully a lot of what they play tho i have not an idea of what any particular word means...this group they are playing now is pretty cool...you'd have to be to follow the Stones. and now a delightful commercial in Italiano. lovin' this...ty. "errr-rocka!" i made out that one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 19:40 by hopkins.

Date: December 16, 2016 04:45

Date: December 16, 2016 05:27

HankM
It is interesting to see what is there and what is not. I wonder who decides which streaming station are allowed to be included in the garden and which ones are not. I wonder if some stations have to pay, or do some get paid... or some stations say they dont want to be listed... or how any of that works. It is interesting.

My hunch is this is far from a profit-making venture. I get the strong sense this is something very cool someone is doing because they can do it. And that they're basically identifying radio stations that have a web presence that they can scrape and plot via lat/long coordinates.

HankM
It makes me I wonder if everyone is hearing the exact same thing as everyone else, all around the world or is someone "they" applying some type of "region" censoring like they do on DVDs? e.g. Region 1 2 3 4

Great question...I haven't heard any greetings when I've dropped into stations so far. And in English-speaking stations I have heard them announce times, and it's live.

HankM
I am certainly not complaining, there is so much there, it is awesome... I am just wondering out loud. Mainly I want my friend swiss to be able to find "deedle-dee music" whenever she is in the mood for it.smiling smiley

Thank you smiling bouncing smiley I found some broadcasting from Prince Edward Island this morning!

HankM
Barrow Alaska Christmas songs [radio.garden]

Wow--they're speaking Inuit right now. Cool! It sounds like 5 Eskimos having a pleasant dinner in their igloo--no kidding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 05:38 by swiss.

Date: December 16, 2016 05:29

hopkins
This is so great thank you Swiss. Just really a portal to fascination. I'm digging Radio Veneto Uno. Some great rock, really together; i can't understand a word but the music and vocals are so good...and the production...proof of the pudding was they inserted Play With Fire into the set...and it was so stark, so different, so haunting calm and knowing...etheral but earthy...i sometimes forget the simple power of their biggest yesteryear hits, way before Sticky and Exile. The only English speaking artists i've heard from their offerings...it stuck out musically tho...
...it was really poweful and it fit right in, in that it felt COMPLETELY contemporary and ageless timewise. i can undertand fully a lot of what they play tho i have not an idea of what any particular word means...this group they are playing now is pretty cool...you'd have to be to follow the Stones. and now a delightful commercial in Italiano. lovin' this...ty. "errr-rocka!" i made out that one!

Wow, that's so cool, hopkins -- happy you're digging it. Love your term "a portal to fascination" -- it totally is! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 05:29 by swiss.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 16, 2016 05:39

Jeeze it feels like 1994 all over again! lol Please become my PowWow friend!

Date: December 16, 2016 06:41

Mainly I want my friend swiss to be able to find "deedle-dee music" whenever she is in the mood for it.smiling smiley

Thank you smiling bouncing smiley I found some broadcasting from Prince Edward Island this morning!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 07:00 by HankM.

Date: February 15, 2017 06:01

I didn't want to start another OT thread, this may have limited interest here but inuho is worth passing along. I almost posted after the first show, but skipped it..... but after seeing episode 2... people who liked this are probably the ones who may like this 5 part series I just found on n PBS. [www.pbs.org]

Check your local TV listings if it appeals to your curiosity.
Spy in the Wild: A NATURE mini-series is another one of the coolest things I have seen

Spy in the Wild: A NATURE mini-
series Premiere date: February 1, 2017
John Downer Production for BBC, PBS and THIRTEEN Productions LLC premiering Wednesdays, February 1 – March 1, 8-9 pm ET on PBS stations.

In the most innovative production Nature has ever presented, this five-part series employs more than 30 animatronic spy cameras disguised as animals to secretly record behavior in the wild. These “spycams” reveal animals as having emotions and behavior similar to humans: specifically, a capacity to love, grieve, deceive, and invent. Among the featured Spy Creatures are: Spy Orangutan, Spy Croc Hatchling, Spy Meerkat, Spy Egret, Spy Tortoise, Spy Prairie Dog, Spy Macaw, Spy Sloth, Spy Cobra, Spy Bushbaby, Spy Squirrel, Spy Adelie, and Spy Baby Hippo. These robotic, uncanny look-alikes infiltrate the natural world to film surprising behavior among wildlife from around the globe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-15 06:13 by HankM.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 15, 2017 12:06

Thanks for the tip swiss. Will tune in later.

Date: February 15, 2017 12:51

HankM
I didn't want to start another OT thread, this may have limited interest here but inuho is worth passing along. I almost posted after the first show, but skipped it..... but after seeing episode 2... people who liked this are probably the ones who may like this

Thanks for sharing this, HankM!

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I dislike this show. I watched an episode, and was just waiting for some mishap to go down, and sure enough, the baby monkey robot falls off a cliff and the entire community freaks out and goes into mourning--whaaaaa?! The narrator is like: "Woah, isn't it amazing that these animals are heartbroken! They're even seeming to exhibit guilt feelings, remorse, and depression for letting the baby monkey (robot) fall off the cliff--watch them hold each other and rock back and forth, sobbing--how cool!" I'm like: "Sheeesh, no, not fricking cool. They first saw this weird creature who kinda sorta looked like them, and didn't know what to do about it--it was disturbing to have a weird robot baby monkey among them, blinking mechanically, acting like he's not right in the head, moving like he's crippled, having acrylic fur, being scentless and sans bunghole--and yet they were kind to it. But then he 'dies' on their watch, it sends them into mourning." I'm not an animal right's person, but it reminds me of ealry anthropological research that is now considered unethical. Or what about the baby alligator who had the egg permanently attached to its back. As much as a reptile can worry about anything, this was dismaying to the mother. It was good of her to carefully carry the robot baby to safety but the dang thing, turned on its side and didn't swim--that's upsetting to animals. Again - sorry to be a spoilsport winking smiley

Also, a colleague (senior public radio producer whose beat is technology) pointed out, bemusedly, the increasing number of shows, commercials, cultural references appearing characterizing both hidden cameras/surveillance and robots as cute & cuddly and/or dutiful servants to advancing "science." For that arguably Luddite reason also, I don't like this show.

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-15 14:11 by swiss.

Date: February 15, 2017 13:03

Silver Dagger
Thanks for the tip swiss. Will tune in later.

Oh, do! It's super cool. I'd almost forgotten about it in all the post-election excitement here in America. I'd rather spin the globe and listen to these cool radio stations than worry about global politics.

hope you likes smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-15 14:14 by swiss.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 15, 2017 14:25

That was pretty cool indeed. Started listening to a channel from Copenhagen where they did a quiz on Elton John and played the classic Your Song.

Date: February 17, 2017 11:41

swiss
HankM
I didn't want to start another OT thread, this may have limited interest here but inuho is worth passing along. I almost posted after the first show, but skipped it..... but after seeing episode 2... people who liked this are probably the ones who may like this

Thanks for sharing this, HankM!

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I dislike this show. I watched an episode, and was just waiting for some mishap to go down, and sure enough, the baby monkey robot falls off a cliff and the entire community freaks out and goes into mourning--whaaaaa?! The narrator is like: "Woah, isn't it amazing that these animals are heartbroken! They're even seeming to exhibit guilt feelings, remorse, and depression for letting the baby monkey (robot) fall off the cliff--watch them hold each other and rock back and forth, sobbing--how cool!" I'm like: "Sheeesh, no, not fricking cool. They first saw this weird creature who kinda sorta looked like them, and didn't know what to do about it--it was disturbing to have a weird robot baby monkey among them, blinking mechanically, acting like he's not right in the head, moving like he's crippled, having acrylic fur, being scentless and sans bunghole--and yet they were kind to it. But then he 'dies' on their watch, it sends them into mourning." I'm not an animal right's person, but it reminds me of ealry anthropological research that is now considered unethical. Or what about the baby alligator who had the egg permanently attached to its back. As much as a reptile can worry about anything, this was dismaying to the mother. It was good of her to carefully carry the robot baby to safety but the dang thing, turned on its side and didn't swim--that's upsetting to animals. Again - sorry to be a spoilsport winking smiley

Also, a colleague (senior public radio producer whose beat is technology) pointed out, bemusedly, the increasing number of shows, commercials, cultural references appearing characterizing both hidden cameras/surveillance and robots as cute & cuddly and/or dutiful servants to advancing "science." For that arguably Luddite reason also, I don't like this show.

-swiss

I understand.... and luckily I somehow missed the whole monkey thing you described... seriously, I would not have liked that either. But I like nature shows and I have great respect for the people who spend so much time and effort capturing some amazing footage. Watching these shows they make it seem easy to capture video of wild animals in their natural habitat, but in reality it is some of the most difficult.

Anyway... I am watching it again.
Tonight it is about animal friends and relationships and I enjoying it. This footage is amazing and revolutionary. I dont know how they do it all. I am looking forward to the last episode where they pull back the curtain and show how it was done.

At least a couple of people found the radio gizmo by the bump... so that is cool.

And the little wolf pup and meerkat pups were lost... but then they were found. So...

HOLY MOLY!!!! CROC FIGHT!!!! yikes!

awwww the Crocs and Dikkops (lil birds) are friends

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-17 11:48 by HankM.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home