Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Odd Distance With Eagels, Petty, Segar, Mellencamp Etc.
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 14, 2016 20:27

Re Patti Scialfa, she put out some good music on her own. Her "23rd Street Lullaby" album has some really great songs on it. It's like a tribute to the girl group/New York City/Brill Building sound of the late 1950s/early 1960s and a touch of Laura Nyro (a very overlooked artist). Here's a taste.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: December 14, 2016 20:50

I would add Robert Plant to that list??

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 14, 2016 21:13

Doesn't seem odd at all, and not sure I would call it distance.

I think you could say the same about all the first gen/ Desert Trip era rock and roll artists with the following generations.
It's cool when it happens though, when a mutual friendship/respect happens between generations as with Pearl Jam and Neil Young.

I think because the stones have been so huge, for so long, that the respect at times shows when they have guest appearances and opening acts, particularly when they would do part or most of a tour with them. J Geils Band stands out as an example, and many other opening acts over the decades.

Date: December 14, 2016 21:32

U2Stonesfan

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:00

Jah Paul

Backing vocals on DW:

Jimmy Cliff, Don Covay, Beverly D'Angelo, Kirsty MacColl, Dolette McDonald, Janice Pendarvis, Patti Scialfa and Tom Waits
Holy shit, I never knew that.

And Beverly D'Angelo?? That's the Mom from the Chevy Chase Vacation movies (and Al Pacino's ex)? It can't be the same woman, can it?

It's the same Beverly...she played Patsy Cline in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and did her own singing for the role.

[youtu.be]

Hang on...wasn't OJ credited with backing vox on Let It Loose? What the hell is going on here...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:25

She is credited. She sang on Talk Is Cheap as well, if memory serves.

Not a nice way to thank her boyfriend, was it

Ohh sorry — I thought you meant Patti Hansen, hence my surprise.
I have no clue who Ms Scialfa's boyfriends were/are, so ... as you were :E

Date: December 14, 2016 22:46

Munichhilton

Backing vocals on DW:

Jimmy Cliff, Don Covay, Beverly D'Angelo, Kirsty MacColl, Dolette McDonald, Janice Pendarvis, Patti Scialfa and Tom Waits
Holy shit, I never knew that.

And Beverly D'Angelo?? That's the Mom from the Chevy Chase Vacation movies (and Al Pacino's ex)? It can't be the same woman, can it?

It's the same Beverly...she played Patsy Cline in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and did her own singing for the role.

[youtu.be]

Hang on...wasn't OJ credited with backing vox on Let It Loose? What the hell is going on here...

The vocals do not fit, you must acquit!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:49

In Life, Keith talks about listening to Jackson Browne's Running on Empty LP. Sounds like he was a fan of that release.

Date: December 14, 2016 22:49

with sssoul

She is credited. She sang on Talk Is Cheap as well, if memory serves.

Not a nice way to thank her boyfriend, was it

Ohh sorry — I thought you meant Patti Hansen, hence my surprise.
I have no clue who Ms Scialfa's boyfriends were/are, so ... as you were :E

Ha ha, Bruce Springsteen grinning smiley

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: December 14, 2016 23:29

DandelionPowderman

[i127.photobucket.com]

[i127.photobucket.com]

[i127.photobucket.com]

I should have said they have never been close enough to do a duet together

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 15, 2016 03:55

dmay
Re Patti Scialfa, she put out some good music on her own. Her "23rd Street Lullaby" album has some really great songs on it. It's like a tribute to the girl group/New York City/Brill Building sound of the late 1950s/early 1960s and a touch of Laura Nyro (a very overlooked artist). Here's a taste.

[www.youtube.com]

Her first album is terrific. More TP Heartbreakers than E Street; I think Mike Campbell was the producer, or quite involved.

Whether the Stones are pals with or respect the initially mentioned American artists I wouldn't know, but would notice none have the 'roll" of the Stones for certain.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 15, 2016 04:30

Benmont Tench from The Heartbreakers plays on WANDERING SPIRIT, VOODOO LOUNGE, and BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Stan Lynch from The Heartbreakers produced and played on a session Keith did with The Band in the mid-1990s. Little Steven from The E-Street Band is name-checked in the acknowledgements for TALK IS CHEAP as he (like Danny Kortchmar) auditioned for the second guitarist spot in the Winos. Gary Talent from The E-Street Band auditioned for The Stones in 1993 when Bill left. Mick wanted Mellencamp's drummer Kenny Aronoff for WANDERING SPIRIT, but he was unavailable. Kenny played on BRIDGES TO BABYLON and GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY as well as on THE CHARLIE WATTS-JIM KELTNER PROJECT. Frank Simes went from a stint leading Don Henley's band to playing second guitar on WANDERING SPIRIT. There are connections.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 15, 2016 07:46

Peter Wolf, as pictured above, is a friend of both Mick and Keith's, which isn't easy to pull off.

Date: December 15, 2016 10:40

That would maybe make a good thread; probably a very short thread, LOL : people who are both Mick AND Keith's friend.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home