Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: OT: U2 stuff
Date: October 1, 2023 03:47

I saw a phone clip of 'better than the real thing', and I have to say this is a whole new game. Just amazing!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 1, 2023 05:51

Bram van den Berg is doing a fanfuckingtastic job of filling in for Larry Mullen Jr.

First night at The Sphere and it's amazing to see. And it's not on the whole time! It's brilliant. The spectacle has been kept in check. The band is on stage with the simplest - the absolute simplest - set up ever. The video aspect is astounding... and brilliant when there's zero.

Incredible.

As with the Stones, U2 (and all the people involved) has created something different and new and vibrant.

It should change things. They did similar with THE JOSHUA TREE 2017 tour, which I got to see... that stage was incredible. The Sphere is a much bigger version.

I'm sure the Stones could come up with whatever for content for playing The Sphere but U2 have set the bar, again, at a level that's the top of tops.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 18:17

[www.instagram.com]

eye popping smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: October 1, 2023 18:34

Stage looks like a Record player, that’s cool. Largeness of visual content combined with stare of the art sound looks like it engages the nosebleed in a breakthrough manner. I see the Stones setting up shop there or opening the next one.

Date: October 1, 2023 19:25

GasLightStreet
Bram van den Berg is doing a fanfuckingtastic job of filling in for Larry Mullen Jr.

First night at The Sphere and it's amazing to see. And it's not on the whole time! It's brilliant. The spectacle has been kept in check. The band is on stage with the simplest - the absolute simplest - set up ever. The video aspect is astounding... and brilliant when there's zero.

Incredible.

As with the Stones, U2 (and all the people involved) has created something different and new and vibrant.

It should change things. They did similar with THE JOSHUA TREE 2017 tour, which I got to see... that stage was incredible. The Sphere is a much bigger version.

I'm sure the Stones could come up with whatever for content for playing The Sphere but U2 have set the bar, again, at a level that's the top of tops.

This is something which suits U2 or Roger Waters way more than the Stones to be honest. I am not that impressed. It looks great. But I am not sure I would love to experience a show looking at nice visuals for 2 hours instead of the band (and visuals to support instead of being the main act).

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 1, 2023 19:30

Look's cool, but is the band still the main attraction of the night? I mean, Who even pays attention to the 4 tiny figures on stage. It reminds me of the orchestra's who played during movies in the 20's in the cinema's...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 1, 2023 19:35

PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

This is something which suits U2 or Roger Waters way more than the Stones to be honest. I am not that impressed. It looks great. But I am not sure I would love to experience a show looking at nice visuals for 2 hours instead of the band (and visuals to support instead of being the main act).

I hope the Stones don't perform there. The bar is set at "most tacky venue ever."

Date: October 1, 2023 19:35

PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

I agree with you. It might not suit the Stones; the current Stones anymore. But this technology, and concept is revolutionary. I do think this is more than visuals. I can see this becoming a very immersive experience. Where a live performance of a band becomes a new thing. Audience even more a part of the show. Maybe the phones will become unneccessary. 'Streets' by U2 is like being in the desert. I bet Jagger is salivating.
But tbh I can not see the Stones needing this anymore. It's a new game.
Come to think of it - even U2 ( just as a band) isn't that transcendent anymore. But they are pioneering something cool.

Date: October 1, 2023 22:01

mr edward
Look's cool, but is the band still the main attraction of the night? I mean, Who even pays attention to the 4 tiny figures on stage. It reminds me of the orchestra's who played during movies in the 20's in the cinema's...

There is a good bit of simplicity to their show, it's not all visual. Above the stage they are individually shown at times, other times nothing but the lights shining on the Brian Eno turntable stage.

Although impossible to tell via various posted videos the sound is supposed to be magnificent since the whole room is speakers.

It's a stadium show in a smallish setting. Since ZOO TV and VOODOO the stadium stages have just gotten bigger with bigger video. Look at NO FILTER - 4 giant screens. The focus of the band on stage has been projected to video above the stage for decades now.

In the Sphere setting, the video is the stage - and it changes.

Date: October 2, 2023 02:05

GasLightStreet
mr edward

There is a good bit of simplicity to their show, it's not all visual. Above the stage they are individually shown at times, other times nothing but the lights shining on the Brian Eno turntable stage.

Although impossible to tell via various posted videos the sound is supposed to be magnificent since the whole room is speakers.

It's a stadium show in a smallish setting. Since ZOO TV and VOODOO the stadium stages have just gotten bigger with bigger video. Look at NO FILTER - 4 giant screens. The focus of the band on stage has been projected to video above the stage for decades now.

Love that stage. and even though it seems like Bono's great tenor is gone - if I had a hat, I'd take it off to them for keeping it to 4 guys on a stage. No team of BU singers, horns etc.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 2, 2023 03:06

Do they still have the keyboard guy under the stage?
(I assume the Sphere has an area under the stage?)

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 14:23

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
mr edward

Love that stage. and even though it seems like Bono's great tenor is gone - if I had a hat, I'd take it off to them for keeping it to 4 guys on a stage. No team of BU singers, horns etc.

The 4 guys you see on stage is far from the whole story with them. They make extensive use of playbacks, backing tracks and their under stage keyboard player. They’ve had the same one for over 20years.

[www.terrylawless.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 2, 2023 15:31

I don’t think they try to hide those extra sounds, like the SFTD intro. The parts played by the principal musicians are live. This is a touchy subject for many of us, I feel we should tread lightly.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 15:40

frankotero
I don’t think they try to hide those extra sounds, like the SFTD intro. The parts played by the principal musicians are live. This is a touchy subject for many of us, I feel we should tread lightly.

If you're talking about the Stones then yes, fully agreed. But this is a U2 thread smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 2, 2023 17:39

MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

I hope the Stones don't perform there. The bar is set at "most tacky venue ever."

Sorry, but you are completely wrong here...
I was there on Opening Night and the venue is ASTOUNDING.
I have never heard a better concert, the sound is PERFECT.
SUPERB.

Any act alive today will be clamoring to get inside this place.

Date: October 2, 2023 20:07

Kurt
MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

SUPERB.

I'm sure the sound is excellent, but the bigger picture of that venue is not my idea of seeing the Rolling Stones. I prefer the Rolling Stones I've seen at MSG, Philly, Boston, Amsterdam, and Buenos Aires.

Date: October 2, 2023 20:22

MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

SUPERB.

I'm sure the sound is excellent, but the bigger picture of that venue is not my idea of seeing the Rolling Stones. I prefer the Rolling Stones I've seen at MSG, Philly, Boston, Amsterdam, and Buenos Aires.

To each their own smileys with beer

I've seen the Rolling Stones at MSG, the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Aragon Ballroom, Spielberg Austria, Sarstock in Toronto, Churchill Downs and many more and I am here to say that I would LOVE to see The Rolling Stones inside this venue. There is nothing "tacky" about it...The Sphere is truly mind-blowing.

Date: October 2, 2023 20:32

Kurt
MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

SUPERB.

I've seen the Rolling Stones at MSG, the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Aragon Ballroom, Spielberg Austria, Sarstock in Toronto, Churchill Downs and many more and I am here to say that I would LOVE to see The Rolling Stones inside this venue. There is nothing "tacky" about it...The Sphere is truly mind-blowing.

smileys with beer If they play there, I'll probably experience it, but I am not keen on the smoke and mirrors aspect, the equivalent of a bazillion light bulbs, and image flashes that are irrelevant to the songs.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 2, 2023 20:38

Question, I happened to roll through Vegas on Friday opening night. I really really tried to get tickets, but I just couldn't stomach $400 to get in the door for horrible nosebleeds (even though seat location wasn't my biggest issue just because based on the venue it seemed there weren't "bad seats". Was it a huge mistake? It looked like an incredible show on paper.

Date: October 2, 2023 21:05

The nosebleeds might actually be the best seats in the house for the full-on experience of the venue. We were in the center of the 300 Section and it was phenomenal.

Date: October 4, 2023 07:46

MKjan, I think I understand where you're coming from.

I respect your position in regarding The Rolling Stones.

Just keep in mind - U2 is the first band, regardless of status, yet status at the same time, to play the Sphere.

They are excited about the aspects of the entire venue.

Of course it's been about the visual - but don't let that be the only aspect that turns you off.

For every image is a speaker (basically). The sound is also just as important if not more so - it wouldn't work otherwise.

If Mick (and even Keith and, ha ha, Ronnie) get to see one of U2's shows... and end up - who knows.

The stadium aspect has long been denigrated by many artists.

Give it a chance.

U2 are the first big act. If it was the Stones would you be saying the same thing?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 12:26

GasLightStreet

U2 are the first big act. If it was the Stones would you be saying the same thing?

Right.
IF the Stones were to play there one day, no doubt we'd read 1000 arguments saying that yes, the Sphere is fantastic after all smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: October 4, 2023 23:43

Maybe the Stones could play Satanic Majesties with accompanying visuals and odors at this venue. :-)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 5, 2023 00:56

TDive25
Maybe the Stones could play Satanic Majesties with accompanying visuals and odors at this venue. :-)

I know thats a joke, but it would be epic if they did that. Same as if the Beatles could do Sgt Peppers or Floyd doing Dark Side. Such a visual album.

Date: October 5, 2023 05:57

MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

SUPERB.

smileys with beer If they play there, I'll probably experience it, but I am not keen on the smoke and mirrors aspect, the equivalent of a bazillion light bulbs, and image flashes that are irrelevant to the songs.

The jealousy is astounding.

The Rolling Stones could've absolutely been the first band to play the LV Sphere.

IF The Rolling Stones played The Sphere... and you were there...

Do you fathom that no one is saying STADIUM SHOWS SUCK?

Holy shit, Batman!

The Sphere is the reducing of the stadium show.

It's, ha ha, literally, Viva La Diferencia... or something.

What a weird perception you have.

Your loss.

If the Stones ever play there, you have zero ground to say anything.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 5, 2023 15:53

PaintMonkeyManBlack

This is something which suits U2 or Roger Waters way more than the Stones to be honest. I am not that impressed.

This and remember Keith said around 1995 : "the eyes are the whore of the senses..."
It took me years to understand it was another subtle jab at Jagger : do not turn our concerts into visual experiences.
Fireworks and a giant screen are more than enough.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2023 16:13

I would be very interested to see what Trent Reznor could do with the Sphere. Sadly, the economics probably don't work. Danny Elfman would be an interesting choice also.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 5, 2023 20:13

Palace Revolution 2000
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

I agree with you. It might not suit the Stones; the current Stones anymore. But this technology, and concept is revolutionary. I do think this is more than visuals. I can see this becoming a very immersive experience. Where a live performance of a band becomes a new thing. Audience even more a part of the show. Maybe the phones will become unneccessary. 'Streets' by U2 is like being in the desert. I bet Jagger is salivating.
But tbh I can not see the Stones needing this anymore. It's a new game.
Come to think of it - even U2 ( just as a band) isn't that transcendent anymore. But they are pioneering something cool.

I also agree that this type of venue is more suited to a group like U2. I see this as an extension of what they brought to the Zoo TV tour (in support of their then new album Achtung Baby) which (per Wikipedia), describing the 1992-93 tour as a "multimedia spectacle", instilling "sensory overload" to its audience. I think that the band's decision to revisit and show-case Achtung Baby, in their residency in Vegas, is perfectly suited to the new state of the art venue.

Date: October 5, 2023 21:06

GasLightStreet
MKjan, I think I understand where you're coming from.

I respect your position in regarding The Rolling Stones.

Just keep in mind - U2 is the first band, regardless of status, yet status at the same time, to play the Sphere.

They are excited about the aspects of the entire venue.

Of course it's been about the visual - but don't let that be the only aspect that turns you off.

For every image is a speaker (basically). The sound is also just as important if not more so - it wouldn't work otherwise.

If Mick (and even Keith and, ha ha, Ronnie) get to see one of U2's shows... and end up - who knows.

The stadium aspect has long been denigrated by many artists.

Give it a chance.

Hi GLS thanks for your points. As I wrote I will probably experience it if the Stones should perform there. I think I would express dismay if the Stones were the first to perform there. I was not enthused when they signed on the perform at the Super Bowl, I didn't enjoy seeing Justin Timberhead on stage with them, Ditto for Dave Matthews.

Date: October 5, 2023 21:12

GasLightStreet
MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
Kurt
MKjan
PaintMonkeyManBlack
GasLightStreet

Incredible.

SUPERB.

The jealousy is astounding.

The Rolling Stones could've absolutely been the first band to play the LV Sphere.

IF The Rolling Stones played The Sphere... and you were there...

Do you fathom that no one is saying STADIUM SHOWS SUCK?

Holy shit, Batman!

The Sphere is the reducing of the stadium show.

It's, ha ha, literally, Viva La Diferencia... or something.

What a weird perception you have.

Your loss.

If the Stones ever play there, you have zero ground to say anything.

Calm down GSL, calm down. If I see the Stones there, I certainly have ground to
speak my mind. You can spot me in the upper center area, I'll be wearing an urban sombrero. Enjoy the day.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home