Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2023 04:12

LOL Ok MKjan.

Got it.

Date: October 6, 2023 04:20

I've seen some rather harsh comments on FB about this... astounding, really.

Bono and Jimmy, like Paul and Jimmy, were friends.

That's what it's about. Timing? It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-19 04:38 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 15, 2023 21:54

Good week of live music for me: Bob Dylan, U2 and Phish.

The Sphere is awesome, both sound and visuals. I was afraid of sensory overload and distracting gimmicks. I found limited gimmicks. Sure some showing off the next gen technology like when the ceiling falls. But just as one inflatable brings a show to life but many would be carnivalish most displays add to bringing the music to life. Like the lyrics beautiful day sung in a desert setting at a beautiful dawn. Or the milkway stars background crisp and clear-think red fire on screens to SFTD but bigger, clearer and more encompassing. Distracting in the way adding color to film or stereo to recordings was distracting. I would love to see the Stones here.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 16, 2023 04:42

2120Joe
Good week of live music for me: Bob Dylan, U2 and Phish.

The Sphere is awesome, both sound and visuals. I was afraid of sensory overload and distracting gimmicks. I found limited gimmicks. Sure some showing off the next gen technology like when the ceiling falls. But just as one inflatable brings a show to life but many would be carnivalish most displays add to bringing the music to life. Like the lyrics beautiful day sung in a desert setting at a beautiful dawn. Or the milkway stars background crisp and clear-think red fire on screens to SFTD but bigger, clearer and more encompassing. Distracting in the way adding color to film or stereo to recordings was distracting. I would love to see the Stones here.

Glad you liked it, and I agree completely about the Sphere. The encore stuff both with the Vegas backdrop and the desert backdrop you’d swear you were outside in daylight.

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: October 16, 2023 06:24

I saw U2 this week 3 times. The show is great. The visuelles you cannot compare. For me were the begin
of the show and „
With or without you „ the highlights.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2023 20:14

Looking like its gonna be extended. Definitely gonna try to catch one later on.

OT: U2 stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2023 17:46

Lady Gaga with U2 at Sphere, October 25

OT: Saw U2 at the Sphere this week
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 9, 2023 04:28

Quick visit to Vegas to see U2 at the Sphere Wednesday. (I thought there was a thread about the band, but I couldn’t find it in a search).
I know I’ve seen others here who saw earlier shows weigh in, and I have yet to hear anything that didn’t include words like ‘amazing.’
The Sphere really is unbelievable. Total game changer, really. You’ve never seen anything like it, because there is nothing else like it. I had the great luck to get a room at the nearby Westin with an great view of it, so post show was spent drinking wine and the view as the giant snow globe just does all kinds of trippy stuff, to further light up an already crazy Vegas skyline.
As to U2 and the show itself - it’s insane - needs to be seen to truly comprehend. It’s at least 300’ high inside, and the band uses the entire inside like a mad hallucination palette. There IS a mid acoustic section, where they tone the visuals down and it also brings the energy level down IMO, but I can see why they did it for pacing reasons.
Anyways- the visuals, the sound quality (as others have mentioned) are just out of this world. I wound up getting on the floor, which was crowded, but you’re not squashed in. ‘Everybody having a good time….’ They just added a few final shows for early next year. If you have any interest, and can swing it (it ain’t a cheap date) by all means, GO!

Re: OT: Saw U2 at the Sphere this week
Date: December 9, 2023 05:33

I wish I could go.

It's a huge change in the concert experience, especially as we know it in stadiums and arenas:

A venue built for music, sonically and visually.

U2 are absolutely the best band to kick it off. Their JOSHUA TREE 2017 tour stage was incredible - way beyond anything the Stones have ever done. Magnificent.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: December 9, 2023 06:58

Happy you had fun

U2 announced the last show which is March 2. will be 40 dates total
[www.billboard.com]

for u2 the floor tickets are $270 each
for college students floor tickets are $25 [www.ktnv.com]
for phish the floors tickets are $195 each

for both u2 and phish- tickets first went on sale as part of hotel packages

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 9, 2023 12:09

I wish I could go. Achtung is my favorite U2 record on top of all the Sphere stuff. Sadly I've got some health (& associated $) issues that preclude a trip to Vegas for a show. I'm pretty sure they'll film the show so at least I'll be able to see it.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: December 9, 2023 14:32

My daughter, son-in-law and I are seeing them on Wed, Dec 13. Thanks for the awesome reviews. I cannot wait.

Date: December 9, 2023 18:52

ron091: it really is on a whole other level. It’s insane. Couple quick tips: Give yourself plenty of time to get in there - it took us almost 1/2 hour walking just from the Venetian next door! And to which - wear comfy shoes. I forgot how massive these places are. It’s right next door - 1/2 hour later of trudging along… LOL.
Where are your seats?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 10, 2023 08:18

Strip away the nonsense of the Sphere and the high tech stuff and your left with a band who would struggle to make a dent at the Racket club.

Date: December 10, 2023 16:34

stargroover
Strip away the nonsense of the Sphere and the high tech stuff and your left with a band who would struggle to make a dent at the Racket club.

I've heard a tape of the Sphere show. The band sounds excellent. To each his own...

Date: December 11, 2023 04:09

stargroover

Chime back when you know what you're talking about.

To be that clueless in 2023 is comedy.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 11, 2023 04:37

Congrats Stargroover dumbest post of the year

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 11, 2023 08:23

stargroover

They were pretty damn good at the Apollo back in 2018.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 11, 2023 09:28

umakmehrd
Congrats Stargroover dumbest post of the year
not denying that they may put up a good show but how would we feel about it if the stones would start a residency in Vegas?
from a distance in Europe it does feel like a bit of a sell out and one step closer to a hologram.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: December 14, 2023 18:42

DEmerson
Quick visit to Vegas to see U2 at the Sphere Wednesday. (I thought there was a thread about the band, but I couldn’t find it in a search).
I know I’ve seen others here who saw earlier shows weigh in, and I have yet to hear anything that didn’t include words like ‘amazing.’
The Sphere really is unbelievable. Total game changer, really. You’ve never seen anything like it, because there is nothing else like it. I had the great luck to get a room at the nearby Westin with an great view of it, so post show was spent drinking wine and the view as the giant snow globe just does all kinds of trippy stuff, to further light up an already crazy Vegas skyline.
As to U2 and the show itself - it’s insane - needs to be seen to truly comprehend. It’s at least 300’ high inside, and the band uses the entire inside like a mad hallucination palette. There IS a mid acoustic section, where they tone the visuals down and it also brings the energy level down IMO, but I can see why they did it for pacing reasons.
Anyways- the visuals, the sound quality (as others have mentioned) are just out of this world. I wound up getting on the floor, which was crowded, but you’re not squashed in. ‘Everybody having a good time….’ They just added a few final shows for early next year. If you have any interest, and can swing it (it ain’t a cheap date) by all means, GO!

My wife and I attended last night. Pretty much echo your comments…pretty amazing show. Sat in Section 303 on the aisle adjacent to 304 in seats we picked up Tuesday (my wife doesn’t do GA, and I have read some folks had hassles getting in with resale GAs as they don’t allow transfers of them). Seats were great to see the screen and visuals. Lots of availability on the resale market and even TM yesterday with ticket drops; don’t know if that was a one-off on a Wednesday night in December but seems tickets are there if you want them, although, as stated, it’s not a cheap night out (again, it’s Vegas though.)

Your comments re: the walk over from Venetian were spot on, but we got our steps in. Pretty easy to park at Palazzo garage, have dinner, and walk to the show. (Biggest hassle was dealing with the traffic on the strip from Aria; still have road closures from what I assume is the teardown from the Formula 1 race.)

I was skeptical of the Sphere after some of the stories I had read, but it’s impressive. Will be interesting to see who plays there in 2024 and beyond.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 14, 2023 19:35

GasLightStreet
stargroover

Obviously you didn't see them on the Joshua Tree tour in the 80's which was no frills but one of the best shows you'll ever see.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 15, 2023 04:50

kovach
GasLightStreet
stargroover

Obviously you didn't see them on the Joshua Tree tour in the 80's which was no frills but one of the best shows you'll ever see.

Loved when they closed the show with 40 on that tour. Awesome.

Date: December 15, 2023 13:05

treaclefingers
kovach
GasLightStreet
stargroover

They closed with "40" on the War show I saw. It was a theater show & totally stunning. I get tired of Bono sometimes but they've never disappointed me live. Feel bad I can't go to the Sphere show.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 15, 2023 16:13

crholmstrom
treaclefingers
kovach
GasLightStreet
stargroover

They closed with "40" on the War show I saw. It was a theater show & totally stunning. I get tired of Bono sometimes but they've never disappointed me live. Feel bad I can't go to the Sphere show.

Bono does sometimes get a bit full of himself and preachy and gets lost... I remember seeing some show years ago where he and Mick were singing something, Bono was going into one of his sermons and lost track of what he was saying and Jagger just started laughing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 15, 2023 20:09

kovach
crholmstrom
treaclefingers
kovach
GasLightStreet
stargroover

Bono does sometimes get a bit full of himself and preachy and gets lost... I remember seeing some show years ago where he and Mick were singing something, Bono was going into one of his sermons and lost track of what he was saying and Jagger just started laughing.

Now that is pretty funny!

Date: December 16, 2023 00:18

I think A Clayton is one of the very best bass players in Rock.

Date: December 16, 2023 00:51

Palace Revolution 2000
I think A Clayton is one of the very best bass players in Rock.

I'd say U2 has 1 of the best rhythm sections in rock. Those guys are tight!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 16, 2023 01:02

Official, this is amazing stuff. Wish it was the whole song though. [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 16, 2023 02:30

frankotero
Official, this is amazing stuff. Wish it was the whole song though. [www.youtube.com]

There’s probably also tons of YouTube footage out there. I was able to find the entire DEc. 6 I saw last week - lot of fun watching it again from the comfort of my couch. I have some nice shots on my Facebook page of both the show and outside of The Sphere, including all of With or Without You that came out really good.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 16, 2023 13:00

DEmerson, yes there's a lot of good recordings. Check out 3 Novemeber for audio. It's outstanding but not soundboard.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home