Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who is selling their tickets because of the poor set list?
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:28

Was wondering if anyone out there was doing this? I have several friends in the US who went to Fenway and had tickets for other stadium shows who are now selling them because they don't want to bother watching the same thing. No rotating of the songs and hits.

What are the Stones thinking? Oh No Not You Got Me Rocking Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Who is selling their tickets because of the poor set list?
Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:37

I bet your friends don't know that the rockers Motley Crue will be warm-up act for the Stones.
This fact alone should be a major reason for not selling a single ticket.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:43

Funny Rank!!!

I actually was at the Hartford and Fenway shows and have tickets for MSG but I do have friends that are selling their seats for the Hersey park show because of the boring set lists. And I have some friends who are not going to bother because they have seen them before and dont' want to pay that kind of money to hear Miss You and others for the millionth time. I have been dying to hear them do some of their hits from the 60s (pre-1968) but don't think it will happen. A friend of mine in Boston said there were a few newspapers that bashed the Stones after they played an almost identical set the second night.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:46

Eventhough they changed one song in Detroit, I agree who wants to go to stadium show? and Motley Crue for $400?

Posted by: marston ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:01

They may be selling their tix because of the high gas prices. Over $3 per gallon now. No pay increases and a President who will not even consider raising the minium wage. People have to make up the shortfalls somehow. People have pride and do not want to admit they are being affected by all of this so they give other reasons for selling their tickets.

If we in the USA are paying more than twice what we were for gasoline a year ago it has to affect the amount of money we have for other things in life. Not to mention, EVERYTHING we buy is affected by higher fuel prices, even A Bigger Bang!

Not meaning to be political, just realistic as to what is happening all around us!

Greg

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:24

Lets stop all the complaining they have only played 5 shows so far and they have played at least 1 different song at each show. Also Im sure things will change some in the areana shows. So by my acounts they have played at least 27 different songs so far, and they only played like 33 different ones on the 89,90 tour so please quit all the whining and crying.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:46

"If we in the USA are paying more than twice what we were for gasoline a year ago it has to affect the amount of money we have for other things in life. Not to mention, EVERYTHING we buy is affected by higher fuel prices, even A Bigger Bang!"

Our European friends may find little sympathy for our "plight" as they've been paying well more than $3.20 a gallon for gasoline for years now.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2005 21:19

Yeah thats right Rickster - they have only played five shows. They wanted to do it safe at the two opening shows in Boston, and when they went to Hartford they changed three songs in the set. I think the reason the Detorit set list was so similar to the Boston shows is because the show was filmed. The tour is long, and they have rehearsed a lot of songs they have not yet played.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 2, 2005 22:26

i'm not selling - but had I known what I think I know now, I doubt that I would have shelled out the bucks I spent on both SBC's....

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 2, 2005 22:31

If the setlists stay rather static, it may mean that I just don't do as much travelling to see the boys. I will still see all 4 Los Angeles area shows regardless of setlist, but a primary reason I see more than just a couple shows on a tour is to collect songs I have not got yet on the tour. I expect in time for them to expand greatly beyond the 31 songs they have played so far, but if you look at the list of songs rehearsed in Toronto, they have far less songs prepraed than they did in 2002, roughly 1/2. In 2002, lists were compiled of around 130 different songs rehearsed, whereas this time it is more like 65 and excluding the A Bigger Bang songs and new cover songs, there are only a handful of songs rehearsed that i have never sene them play before.

Posted by: marston ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:15

R Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our European friends may find little sympathy for
> our "plight" as they've been paying well more than
> $3.20 a gallon for gasoline for years now.

Yes, I know this is true but it did not double for them in 6 months! Most people live on their income with very little to put away. That rapid of a change causes hardship when you are living pay day to pay day already. Also, as I understand it, public transportation is much better in Europe than America and Europeans are not as "addicted" to gasoline as in America. Look at the big picture of how much of the world's gasoline is consumed here in America. The financial impact is enormous!

Greg

Posted by: Gertje ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:32

What are you complaining about, we all know the stories about the setlist. I have heard the complains a millions times by now. Before the tour began you could predict how the setlist was going to be. A couple of new songs, one or two rotating-songs and the rest all warhorses. A true fan doesn't sell his ticket.
Please enjoy it while it's still possible. If they stop now you'll going to miss them in three years. Then you wish you could hear them play 'Miss You".

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:36

What an insipid nagging about the set lists!. Some fans say that the lists "are not chaniging in the last years". BUT...

...tour 1981/82 : 33 different songs played

...tour 1989/90 : 37 different songs played

...tour 1994/95 : 60 different songs played

...tour 1997/99 : 76 different songs played

...tour 2002/03 : 78 different songs played

So...

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 3, 2005 04:24

Yes, we do need to get political at times and this is one of those times BUT it certainly ties in with a Stones related topic! Mick was given Keith's blessings on " Sweet Neo Con" even though he at first did not WANT To make political statements on the new cd thinking it could derail the real purpose of their first new collection of tunes in 8 years! Bush needs to go and fast because the USA is headed towards a two class society! The obscenely wealthy and the poor, no more middle class! Europe is NOT the USA and they DO have faster trains and much more sophistocated public transportation AND They're used to walking EVERYWHERE because Europe is set up by small connected towns not HUGE METROPOLIS" THAT YOU CAN'T WALK TO! NO ONE WALKS IN L.A as the song says! We need to start a revolution in the USA, get out in the streets and demand a new government, new leaders! They do it everywhere else in the world, WHY NOT HERE!? Ok, enough, back to the Stones. I bet some folks that cannot afford $3.50 per gallon will be selling their tickets because they'll need the cash. VERY SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 3, 2005 12:11

If u sell ur tix ur crazy.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 3, 2005 12:29

Interesting view there Debra,

I happened to be visting cousins in NJ last year and was actually there on polling day. We all went round to a friend's house and rather like the rest of the States was probably doing that evening - huddled round the TV to watch the results come in. I hasten to add that this was a Democrat household. The thing that I noticed as it became obvious that the Republicans had got in again was that instead of people expressing mere disappointment, they expressed real anger. It made me realise that more so than at any time in recent Amercian electoral history, this election was truly divisive. Some people win, some lose, nothing new there. But to me somehow this election was different to all others in recent times, tensions and emotions ran way way higher.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 3, 2005 12:51

> I bet some folks that cannot afford $3.50 per gallon will be selling their tickets because they'll need the cash. VERY SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!

If I'm not wrong that's half the prize we have to pay in Europe. In opposite to the US we didn't exhaust the gas constructing cars that use less gas. The US didn't accept the Kyoto (spelling?) contract to not limit the use of oil (i.e. energy). Now they ask Germany to bring their iron reserves in the market to compensate for the US gas price.... better no comment and sorry for being political again.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 3, 2005 16:02

The people that sell the tickets aren't fans. BOTTOM LINE

Posted by: gut ()
Date: September 3, 2005 18:42

If people have the money to spend on expensive tickets, fine. I don't. Mortages, taxes, groceries, utilities, and on top of that, too little but at least something to donate for the hurricane and flooding victims....

I think the complaint against the Stones is the continual use of the same warhorses in the set lists is valid. They have over 300 songs to choose from, and haven't made interesting choices in song mixes in years.

Who wants to hear JJF or Miss You for the 15th millionth time? Especially in succession at the end of the concert, ad infinitum. Just as in 4 Flicks, did they really have to have 3 recordings of JJF....One is enough.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2005 18:56

gut says: "Who wants to hear JJF or Miss You for the 15th millionth time?"

I want to hear JJF and 7-8 other classics during every show. (Not Miss You, but that's just a personal taste). And the big audiences are dying for the "warhorses" too. Some fans cannot understand the simplest things. Some fans are so egoists...

Posted by: gut ()
Date: September 3, 2005 19:05

==========Some fans are so egoists...==============

I'm not an egoist, just someone who wants variety. That is the spice of life, you know.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 3, 2005 19:19

to come to the point, it's as easy as that:

blah, blah, blah stop all this complaining,

- if you don't like the setlists, don't go to the shows
- if you can't afford the ticket prices, don't buy them.

stop complaining about the gas prices, buy smaller cars and ones that need less gas (btw you could have done this allready on your own, why didn't you do it???)

nobody puts a gun at your head (at least i think so) and tells you to do this or that.

i wouldn't sell a single ticket for any price in the world if i had the chance to see them live.

cheers

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: September 3, 2005 20:23

I don't agree with "some fans are egoists" most people who want to hear the warhorses didn't spend their money on buying stonesalbums like we did cause if they did they probably wanted other songs to be played. So I think the stones should play a bit more interesting set for all the die hard fans who bought their records every time and not play the same setlists again for people who only bought a few best of albums.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 3, 2005 21:30

I've said it, others have said it here - how much did they change their (what, 75, 80 minute?) set in (forget the '63-66 period of 30 minute sets) '69, or '72, '75, '78, '81 (just speaking of the US tours) - in recent years the instant access via internet to setlists, photos, recordings, etc has taken a lot of mystery & wonder out of going to see them (or anyone big, really) - until you hear how they play, that is, how it feels, the interactions between musicians, audience, etc. I just went to 2 w/ the same setlist & they had very different vibes due to the band members' playing, especially the guitarists who are up front & have a degree of flexibility I haven't seen in many years, but also MJ & CW, also different perspective on sound especially, & visuals due to where I sat, etc. Can't wait for January, & if I could afford to I'd go more.
Debra is correct the public transportation is a nuisance in many US cities, & there's lots of sprawl here - in Boston area many drive 60, 90 + 120 minutes to work every morning, where I live it's a 50 minute walk to nearest station, I'm only 8 - 10 miles from Boston.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 4, 2005 00:02

If anyone is selling their tickets coz you think that the set list is boooring... may I buy your ticket at half of the face value... should not be that difficult coz you are obviously not a fan of Da Greatest Band Of All Time....

Jan Richards
of them Vikings at
www.stonesvikings.com

ps I was at Fenway 1 & 2

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 4, 2005 06:16

Check out the setlist from Moncton -- hopefully, this is a sign of things to come!!

Posted by: sawbelly ()
Date: September 4, 2005 06:47

I am quite jaded and usually agree with the war horse complaints, but that Moncton set ain't bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home