Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 16, 2017 17:18

DandelionPowderman
Witness
KRiffhard
Hairball
As I've said before, I'd be much happier with another Keith solo album at this point.

...particularly if new songs are horrible like Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost.

In contrast, I for one, on the other hand, would rather have a “Mick Jagger and Stones Friends” album than a Keith Richards album or a watered-down Stones album, type VOODOO LOUNGE at this stage. I won't deny anybody having another Keith Richards album though, but I am not myself looking forward, as I have to, to listen at least 25 times to it, if it would be more or less a CROSS-EYED HEART, vol 2 album. (However, a TALK IS CHEAP-like album I will probably enjoy to some extent, even if also such an album would be quite backwardlooking.)

They're in their mid-70s. How much forward-looking do you expect them to be?

Jagger's single was also retro, btw, 90s retro, that is.

My use of the term with regard to Stones-related music of later decades is in relation to whether it may involve new elements for themselves to do or not.

Date: November 16, 2017 17:26

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
KRiffhard
Hairball
As I've said before, I'd be much happier with another Keith solo album at this point.

In contrast, I for one, on the other hand, would rather have a “Mick Jagger and Stones Friends” album than a Keith Richards album or a watered-down Stones album, type VOODOO LOUNGE at this stage. I won't deny anybody having another Keith Richards album though, but I am not myself looking forward, as I have to, to listen at least 25 times to it, if it would be more or less a CROSS-EYED HEART, vol 2 album. (However, a TALK IS CHEAP-like album I will probably enjoy to some extent, even if also such an album would be quite backwardlooking.)

They're in their mid-70s. How much forward-looking do you expect them to be?

Jagger's single was also retro, btw, 90s retro, that is.

My use of the term with regard to Stones-related music of later decades is in relation to whether it may involve new elements for themselves to do or not.

Hence you prefer dated 90s stuff to more retro rock'n'roll? That's fair enough, Witness.

Date: November 16, 2017 17:37

The question in my outlook on things was and is whether such elements have any novelty in a Stones related music context.

Apart from that; I like some music outside the Rolling Stones both from the '80s and '90s, yes.

And you yourself seem to like the Stones to innovate within a rather narrow span. It is legitimate, of course. I prefer that the span would be expanded.

Latest edit: I hate to do those grammatical errors, sometimes a result of exchanging some words

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 18:12 by Witness.

Date: November 16, 2017 17:49

Witness
The question in my outlook on things was and is whether such elements has any novelty in a Stones related music context.

Apart from that; I like some music outside the Rolling Stones both from the '80s and '90s, yes.

And you yourself seem to like the Stones to innovate within a rather narrow span. It is legitimate, of course. I prefer that the span would be expanded.

No, no, quite the contrary, Witness! I like new stuff, as well as breaking new ground and trying out different directions.

However, since the 70s, I think that Mick has walked right into a trap, when it comes to what's contemporary or not. The result is that he is lagging behind both musically and stylistically.

The Stones were very good at taking the pulse of the times musically. Those days are gone, imo.

A lot of what's all the rage right now doesn't involve a band, or guitars at all. I don't want them to go in that direction. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they're in the position to invent the wheel again, either.

Instead I hope for a band effort, where all the band members know the songs inside out (which hasn't been the case probably since 1979). Whether it's rock'n'roll, blues, country, soul, pop, disco, funk, reggae, instrumentals, ska, punk, rockabilly, rhythm and blues, tex-mex, oriental-ish or skiffle won't mean much to me.

Most importantly, the songs need to sound new - that means avoiding the most obvious clichees in my book. A fresh-sounding, varied celebration of the music they love will be more than welcomed by this listener.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 16, 2017 17:55

The person I know who’s heard the new stuff said I would like at least half of it — and possibly 75% of it, depending on which direction they take with some of it.

That leads me to believe they — or at least Mick — are willing to take chances. They’re trying, as you say, to avoid cliche.

Date: November 16, 2017 17:59

MelBelli
The person I know who’s heard the new stuff said I would like at least half of it — and possibly 75% of it, depending on which direction they take with some of it.

That leads me to believe they — or at least Mick — are willing to take chances. They’re trying, as you say, to avoid cliche.

That bodes well for the new album, and it's pretty much the same I've heard, too. thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2017 18:07

DandelionPowderman
Witness
The question in my outlook on things was and is whether such elements has any novelty in a Stones related music context.

No, no, quite the contrary, Witness! I like new stuff, as well as breaking new ground and trying out different directions.

However, since the 70s, I think that Mick has walked right into a trap, when it comes to what's contemporary or not. The result is that he is lagging behind both musically and stylistically.

The Stones were very good at taking the pulse of the times musically. Those days are gone, imo.

A lot of what's all the rage right now doesn't involve a band, or guitars at all. I don't want them to go in that direction. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they're in the position to invent the wheel again, either.

Instead I hope for a band effort, where all the band members know the songs inside out (which hasn't been the case probably since 1979). Whether it's rock'n'roll, blues, country, soul, pop, disco, funk, reggae, instrumentals, ska, punk, rockabilly, rhythm and blues, tex-mex, oriental-ish or skiffle won't mean much to me.

Most importantly, the songs need to sound new - that means avoiding the most obvious clichees in my book. A fresh-sounding, varied celebration of the music they love will be more than welcomed by this listener.

I happened to like "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost", while it became a a strain to me to have 25 listenings to CROSSEYED HEART.

Formerly I have noticed that I often like songs that others don't, for instance "Might As Well Get Juiced". I do like the sequence of three songs, where that song is the middle one, and the contrast between it and the following "traditionally" oriented "Always Suffering", which I adore, but very few others do, if any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 18:08 by Witness.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 16, 2017 18:10

DandelionPowderman
Witness

Yes, that would be great indeed, I completely agree.
If they manage to bring out an album as you just described, I promise I will eat my words and humbly proclaim how mistaken I was.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 16, 2017 18:15

35love
ANY studio time is excellent news.
I am sure the record company wonders:
Should we hold off releasing any new RS music
until 1 of the 4 becomes 3 signaling the end?
Probably $$$$$
But consider this!
We will all be too heartbroken and won’t want to listen,
mark my words. Rock and roll no more.
We are here now ready to party.g
Let’s do it.

Yeah..lets rock n roll baby..like its our last day on earth.
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 16, 2017 18:40

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

That bodes well for the new album, and it's pretty much the same I've heard, too. thumbs up

Trying to avoid cliche?? The only chance I want Mick to take is actually making a band album ...... eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 16, 2017 18:59

Well, I think December is PERFECT. Get into the studio and carry over the groove from ‘No Filter’
I’ve made a few ‘old’ jokes lately, but I tell you what,
these MF’ers are fit.
I can’t remember which ‘No Filter’ clip I was watching
(Did I tell you I was THERE! and it was full ON)
anyway, rare close up Charlie Watt just pounding it, controlled breathing,
ALL of ‘em right now are prime after tour after 50 years @#$%& r n r FIT
so PLEASE go into studio and have some fun and record it for us
Merry Christmas

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2017 19:02

KRiffhard
Hairball

Hopefully Keith won't allow that to happen if there ever is a new Stones album - his boycotting of those tunes is a good sign imo.

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Witness

Yes, that would be great indeed, I completely agree.
If they manage to bring out an album as you just described, I promise I will eat my words and humbly proclaim how mistaken I was.

I think most of us would be grateful to have an album as described above, but in all honesty that might be hoping for too much.
The way they write these days just won't allow it - remember Mick had 40 (?) demos ready to record, while Keith had 3 "dynamite" riffs to be worked on when this all began.
In the old days, this might have all been meshed out in a studio setting to produce some great songs, but these days both seem to be very stubborn with their stance (see Getta Grip/England Lost).
Communication between them seems to be a problem, and the fact they no longer spend much time together in the studio is a bigger problem

Date: November 16, 2017 19:59

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

Trying to avoid cliche?? The only chance I want Mick to take is actually making a band album ...... eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

I meant sounding like the Stones without the most obvious clichees smiling smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 16, 2017 20:48

Maindefender
How much money do they make on albums anyway? They should at least put out a single and B side early next year to wet our appetites.

Very little compared to a tour.
Making a new album, to Stones, is pure artistically rather than earning money.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 16, 2017 21:23

mtaylor
Maindefender
How much money do they make on albums anyway? They should at least put out a single and B side early next year to wet our appetites.

That's why they don't take it seriously.

Date: November 16, 2017 21:23

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I happened to like "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost", while it became a a strain to me to have 25 listenings to CROSSEYED HEART.

Formerly I have noticed that I often like songs that others don't, for instance "Might As Well Get Juiced". I do like the sequence of three songs, where that song is the middle one, and the contrast between it and the following "traditionally" oriented "Always Suffering", which I adore, but very few others do, if any.

BTB is so close to being really really good. There's a nice extended version of Always Suffering out there also!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 16, 2017 21:26

MelBelli
The person I know who’s heard the new stuff said I would like at least half of it — and possibly 75% of it, depending on which direction they take with some of it...

Date: June 22, 2017 04:51

Stuff sounds good (I'm told); but quite a bit of work left, and still uncertainty about which direction some of it will go.

Let's hope it's the right direction!

Date: November 16, 2017 23:03

KRiffhard
MelBelli
The person I know who’s heard the new stuff said I would like at least half of it — and possibly 75% of it, depending on which direction they take with some of it...

Stuff sounds good (I'm told); but quite a bit of work left, and still uncertainty about which direction some of it will go.

Better not sound like One Direction....grinning smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 16, 2017 23:47

Maindefender
KRiffhard
MelBelli

Better not sound like One Direction....grinning smiley

Mick will know what direction he wants to go (hahaha)
sorry Ladies.
jeroen

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 17, 2017 00:05

I sometimes wonder how much kicks some do get from repeating again and again in any thread considering whatever that "how much I like or not Jagger's or Richards's recent solo stuff or them as musicians/persons', no matter how irrelevant to the given discussion that opinion is. But me, me, me!!!! I have an opinion!!!!!!

But a good note is that the Stones will - most likely - release a new album. That's great. Let's review it when it is released.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-17 00:20 by Doxa.

Date: November 17, 2017 00:52

Monsoon Ragoon
mtaylor
Maindefender

That's why they don't take it seriously.

And that might be partially why there's been hardly anything new from them as a band in 13 years and counting - instead they take the oldies show out on the road and rake in the money.
Another other reason might be they simply don't have anything artistic left to say as a band other than recording old blues covers. Mick might have something to say as a solo artist and Keith probably does as well, but together the well seems to have run dry, or they simply don't like working with each other anymore, or a combination of both. It happens to some of the best of them - Lennon/McCartney, Waters/Gilmour, etc.
They're almost like a married couple now who only stay together for sake of the children aka the fans, and instead of putting much thought and care into it (original new music), they simply take them out to an amusement park (a concert) for kicks.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 17, 2017 02:12

Hairball
the fact they no longer spend much time together in the studio is a bigger problem

Yeah, the working method they evolved that led to them producing their best work involved spending endless hours in the studio, trying things out until something clicked. Mick and Keith can't or won't work together that way these days. Setting aside any personal issues, they are in their 70s. They're not going to camp out in a studio for three weeks straight in hopes of unearthing the perfect riff.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 17, 2017 02:41

I don't get it... on one hand folks are complaining a new album will never come ... and some of those same folks are at the same time saying why do it in the first place and / or that we can bet it will be pretty sub-par?

I 'thought' most of us were fans. Fans 'at least' give the band a chance to see if its good.

Its not fair to bash the thing when none of us heard any of it... it is not even finished... let alone released?

Don't be spoiled bratty kids and such naysayers... Give it a chance - for all the complaining we've done about not having any new material... we owe it to them to at least take it at face value and welcome it ..

Yeeesh smh - What gives?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-17 02:43 by IanBillen.

Date: November 17, 2017 03:54

Hairball
We also know as history has proven that these things are easier said than done Ian - otherwise a new album of originals would have been out before Blue and Lonesome. That album was a nice consolation prize so to speak, but what most fans have been hankering for is a brand new album of originals - 13 years in the making (and counting). If all they could muster up as a band during that looong period is One More Shot/Doom & Gloom, and an album of covers, then there's reason for to be cautious and skeptical. Is the glass half full, or half empty? I'm not so sure there's even a glass to begin with - I need to getta grip! Hoping for some Keith solo material...there's more of a chance of that happening as he only has to answer to himself.

It has been said ...through the ages that Im always correct. 100% of the time ...

I give my info to Henz57... He relays it to mpj200 ... mpj200 tells Georgelicks...and Georgelicks in turn lets Melbelli know the scoop.

Date: November 17, 2017 04:06

IanBillen

It has been said ...through the ages that Im always correct. 100% of the time ...

I give my info to Henz57... He relays it to mpj200 ... mpj200 tells Georgelicks...and Georgelicks in turn lets Melbelli know the scoop.

That about sums it up Ian.
And forgive me for not knowing, or maybe it has slipped my mind...but who is Melbelli...another trusty inside source?

ps - you forgot to add bv to the chain of insiders knowledge. winking smiley

Date: November 17, 2017 05:59

Hairball
IanBillen

And forgive me for not knowing, or maybe it has slipped my mind...but who is Melbelli...another trusty inside source?

Ha ...You are an 'alright' cat I gotta say. You never get angry .. or put off ... or irritated and you are always around... What more could we all ask for?

Bv... yes... I overlooked the very obvious (shame on me). MelBelli is a memeber here and at Rocksoff.org. He gets some cred and respect in the Stones online message board world.

Date: November 17, 2017 06:21

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Ha ...You are an 'alright' cat I gotta say. You never get angry .. or put off ... or irritated and you are always around... What more could we all ask for?

Bv... yes... I overlooked the very obvious (shame on me). MelBelli is a memeber here and at Rocksoff.org. He gets some cred and respect in the Stones online message board world.

Cheers Ian.
What more could you all ask for? Haha...depends on who you ask...some might say "go jump off a cliff Hairball"!!! grinning smiley

Yes I recall MelBelli now. I used to post on Rocks Off way back around the Licks tour. I assume Gazza is still running that joint?
Miss him posting here - I sat with him him and a few others at one of the Twickenham Stones shows in '03 10th row center - it was a great show except for Starsailor opening - the were very drab.

Date: November 17, 2017 06:37

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Cheers Ian.
What more could you all ask for? Haha...depends on who you ask...some might say "go jump off a cliff Hairball"!!! grinning smiley

Yes I recall MelBelli now. I used to post on Rocks Off way back around the Licks tour. I assume Gazza is still running that joint?
Miss him posting here - I sat with him him and a few others at one of the Twickenham Stones shows in '03 10th row center - it was a great show except for Starsailor opening - the were very drab.

Yes... Gazz still runs it ...bless his heart. His a good bloke with a great amount of music live show knowledge (who performed where...what songs they did ....etc).

I saw the Licks tour myself three times. Why does Gazz not post here anymore. With respect given to him ..and not to start any drama ...but is there any reason?

Date: November 17, 2017 07:27

Not sure about that Ian...all I know is there were quite a few who used to post here and then suddenly seemed to vanish!
Anyhow, don't want to speculate - there's enough of that in this thread. thumbs up

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 17, 2017 07:41

The 2018 U.K. tour is not taking up “most of the year”. The Stones (both of them) have every plan and intention of releasing a new album sometime next year.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home