Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...682683684685686687688689690691692...LastNext
Current Page: 687 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 13, 2023 16:05

Exactly what gotdablouse said.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 13, 2023 16:18

Who knows - maybe new album this Autumn and another new album next Spring in time for a Summer tour? (They should have recorded enough material for two proper albums.)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2023 16:19

I believe in a fall release. Otherwise - why the PR work and photo shoots? I don't believe in a 2024 spring tour though. I think it's more than time to call it quits now.
For every reason. Health, age you name it. The irony in that would, however, be that when they finally come up with a new album it's too late to tour on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 16:37 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 13, 2023 16:32

Stoneage
I believe in a fall release. Otherwise - why the PR work and photo shoots? I don't believe in a 2024 spring tour though. I think it's more than than time to call it quits now.
For every reason. Health, age you name it. The irony in that would, however, be that when they finally come up with a new album it's too late to tour on it.

Like you, I also believe that we'll get an album during the autumn season; however, I simply cannot speculate regarding touring. After all, who'd have imagined they'd be performing live, a whole twenty years after the Licks Tour? They've surprised and delighted us quite consistently with their appetite for the live-stage. With that in mind, whose to say they won't surprise us just that once more, by hitting the stage for a few shows? Then again: err, Mick's limping!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 13, 2023 17:17

Stoneage
I believe in a fall release. Otherwise - why the PR work and photo shoots? I don't believe in a 2024 spring tour though. I think it's more than time to call it quits now.

But how are they going to make a profit if they don't tour? Album making is really expensive. Renting the studios, hiring the musicians, doing the promotion. With album sales alone you cannot make that money back anymore, the money is in the touring.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 13, 2023 18:51

I’m sure they have video taped every recording session. They probably will put something out on Netflix and will probably recoup most recording production costs by using videos on several streaming platforms. I think the tours ended last year in Europe but I could be wrong. Still think a few shows to promote the album like Fonda theater for Sticky is worth exploring.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 13, 2023 18:57

NilsHolgersson
Stoneage

But how are they going to make a profit if they don't tour? Album making is really expensive. Renting the studios, hiring the musicians, doing the promotion. With album sales alone you cannot make that money back anymore, the money is in the touring.

They began recording this album, as far as we know, in 2015 and have toured every year since then (with the exception of 2020 and this year). Recording is dirt cheap these days — especially the way Mick and Matt Clifford do it.

I don’t think they’re worried about budgeting.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 13, 2023 20:18

Stoneage

Well, who knows if touring is physically not any longer possible for them (taking their high standards for it) they will now on concentrate on a studio work. You know, to have something to do still, and thereby continue their incredible career still for some time. It sounds like many here seem to see creativity and studio work as some sort of hard labor for them, or seeing 'writer's blocks' or whatever, but I don't think so. It just hadn't been such top priority to them for a long time, since it all has been about touring (new music hadn't been any kind of necessity for them). But probably soon it will be all they have left as musicians. Seeing the dudes for a couple of weeks a year, record some stuff here and then, no rush, no pressure, could be a nice hobby for pensioners. That's physically much less demanding than touring and performing live all over the world, you know, putting yourself on the edge, proving yourself every night (one can only imagine how much it has taken from them to do that for years).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-13 20:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:21

Soldatti and mpj200 are the closest we have to insiders and Soldatti makes it clear his sources are within Universal.

I trust in an October/November release. And yes, they've used some solid brick and mortar studios in London, L.A., New York, and the Bahamas. I have every reason to think they've dropped money on this album. Evidently, Universal is good with that since they gave them the contract.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:40

NilsHolgersson
Stoneage

Maybe by continuously selling crap like this from the official merch store

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:45

It's from: "Stones x Bearbricks" - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , [TheRollingStonesShop.com] - (up to $1,200). About Bearbrick by Japanese MediCom Toy Inc. - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 00:05 by Irix.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 13, 2023 23:58

Rocky Dijon
Soldatti and mpj200 are the closest we have to insiders and Soldatti makes it clear his sources are within Universal.

I trust in an October/November release. And yes, they've used some solid brick and mortar studios in London, L.A., New York, and the Bahamas. I have every reason to think they've dropped money on this album. Evidently, Universal is good with that since they gave them the contract.

I didn’t mean to imply they recorded the whole thing on Pro Tools in home studios. I was just noting that they’ve been making money touring for the last decade — they don’t need to sell a ton of records to recoup the cost of making it.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 14, 2023 02:21

MelBelli
Rocky Dijon

I didn’t mean to imply they recorded the whole thing on Pro Tools in home studios. I was just noting that they’ve been making money touring for the last decade — they don’t need to sell a ton of records to recoup the cost of making it.

That's good because they sure ain't gonna sell a ton of records. Diehard fans like many of us here, will, of course, buy it. That is IF there is one? Hype and marketing will generate a flurry of interest for a few days. And the album will probably enter the charts at a decently high position. Probably in the top ten. Maybe even top five. Then it will disappear within a week, forgotten by all except us.

Not that The Stones are worried of course. The entire event will get them a bit of publicity. The back catalogue may get a bit of a boost. And good ol' Hot Rocks will keep on selling its few thousand copies each week in the US, maintaining its place in the lower reaches of the Billboard Top 200, where it is just about to reach its 416th week. In round figures just completing its 8th chart year overall.

I have no idea whether The Stones make any money at all from Hot Rocks given that it is owned by London/Decca. I guess Mick and Keith will make money from the songwriting. And the publicity will not do the band any harm. The problem I have with Hot Rocks is that it consolidates the view - for most casual fans certainly - that The Stones are defined by the material on that album. In fact I don't think Hot Rocks it is the best compilation of Stones material from the 1960's, much less from their entire career. For me, the CD version of Rolled Gold is far a superior summation of their output on Decca/London. And Honk is a very decent compilation of their material from the 70's onwards. And both 40 Licks and the expanded version of Grrr (despite its sleeve) both deserve honourable mentions too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2023 08:35

You know I just realized something.

The last time the Rolling Stones released an album of new material I was relatively young...and had no children. It was literally a generation ago.

It was as long a time as the time between Come On and Start Me Up.

Egad!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2023 08:58

treaclefingers

The last time the Rolling Stones released an album of new material I was relatively young...and had no children. It was literally a generation ago.

Egad!

Well, ha ha, guess what!!!???

The only difference between us and the Beatles is that we're still going.

- Keith Richards, July 2002

Certainly that's recent enough to warrant, you know, that they're on their way to releasing new material.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 14, 2023 10:56

treaclefingers

Egad!

Yeah exactly - to put in Beatles terms, it’s the same as the time Love Me Do and Double Fantasy. It’s a ridiculous amount of time really……

Date: July 14, 2023 13:18

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Egad!

Well, ha ha, guess what!!!???

The only difference between us and the Beatles is that we're still going.

- Keith Richards, July 2002

Certainly that's recent enough to warrant, you know, that they're on their way to releasing new material.

Time seems to proceed differently for the Stones than forthe rest of us ...

Date: July 14, 2023 13:53

Doxa
Stoneage

Well, who knows if touring is physically not any longer possible for them (taking their high standards for it) they will now on concentrate on a studio work. You know, to have something to do still, and thereby continue their incredible career still for some time. It sounds like many here seem to see creativity and studio work as some sort of hard labor for them, or seeing 'writer's blocks' or whatever, but I don't think so. It just hadn't been such top priority to them for a long time, since it all has been about touring (new music hadn't been any kind of necessity for them). But probably soon it will be all they have left as musicians. Seeing the dudes for a couple of weeks a year, record some stuff here and then, no rush, no pressure, could be a nice hobby for pensioners. That's physically much less demanding than touring and performing live all over the world, you know, putting yourself on the edge, proving yourself every night (one can only imagine how much it has taken from them to do that for years).

- Doxa

A very insightful point my friend. I hear the sound of a hammer hitting a nail right on its head. Accurate and clearly focused.

For some, like The Stones, and Mick in particular, time has seemed to stand still. And the ageing process has moved at a snail-like pace. Truly the band is a phenomenon. Yes, there are others out there who also seem to defy age. Dave Brock of Hawkwind is 82. John Mayall is 90. Both are still performing. BUT Mayall sits at the organ. Dave Brock stands in the same place through each performance, and the amazing lighting effects and spectacular visuals that Hawkwind use are the main focus of each performance. The Stones are quite different. The band are central to everything. Jagger works a stage almost as big as a football pitch. Keith and Ronnie, while not in Jagger's league, are still highly prominent, and active throughout each two-hour concert.

Given all of this, it has always been tempting to think that, somehow, the band would never stop. Defy all logic! Live forever. PERFORM forever. It could not continue of course, and I wonder, increasingly, if that moment has now arrived? I live next door to a guy in his mid-80's. For decades he led a life of almost superhuman fitness and activity. Each year he ran 5-6 full marathons, and God knows how many half-marathons. He trained 365 days each year, hail, rain, sleet, snow. At 83 years old I would see him doing full-on workouts in his garden IN POURING RAIN. Nothing deterred him. Then last year he suddenly cut right back. Ten mile runs became twenty minute walks. Full workouts were replaced by an hour on the local golf driving range. He's still healthy. Still active. But the extraordinary intensity is no more. When I asked him, politely, about it, he said, 'It just became too much. It was no longer fun'

I wonder if that might be what is happening with The Stones? I'm not saying that is definitely the case. But it just might be. Sometimes we just reach a point in our lives when stopping, or at least reducing, what we have always done, becomes attractive. And we just do it. We cut back and take a slower pathway.

I don't think The Stones will ever just stop everything. That is one of the reasons why I totally agree with Doxa. I believe they will always want to 'keep their hands in'. Do a bit of recording. Try out a few ideas. Maybe even do the odd gig on a much smaller scale. Perhaps something acoustic. Possibly stream something from a studio somewhere, in front of an invited audience. The options are endless.

Whatever they do is fine with me. They have given me, and millions more, a lifetime of pleasure. More delight than I had any right to ask for. In return I just want them to be happy, be fulfilled, be safe. And live on and on and on and on....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2023 17:20

john lomax
treaclefingers

Egad!

Yeah exactly - to put in Beatles terms, it’s the same as the time Love Me Do and Double Fantasy. It’s a ridiculous amount of time really……

And let me clarify a couple of things. I'm not complaining in any way...we get the new music if and when we get it. No problem.

It's just so unfathomable that their entire uber-tier recording history occurred in the same amount of time that we've had the last album of new material - and yes we've had a helluva lot of stuff in-between, the tours, the singles, the plethora of live albums clearing out the vault, the expanded box sets, Blue & Lonesome, solo projects - there is nothing to complain about.

I like the Gerald/Doxa hypothesis of transitioning into what could be another period. Too old to tour perhaps the occasional special show but more time in the studio crafting music. What a great way to spend your golden years.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2023 17:38

If it takes them 18 years to put out a new album I think it's wishful thinking to see them continue working in the studio producing new songs. In fact a new tour is more probable than that.
That is more back to normal. If they continue making new music it will, most probably, be on their own. Most certainly so in Jagger's case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 18:21 by Stoneage.

Date: July 14, 2023 19:33

Stoneage
If it takes them 18 years to put out a new album I think it's wishful thinking to see them continue working in the studio producing new songs. In fact a new tour is more probable than that.
That is more back to normal. If they continue making new music it will, most probably, be on their own. Most certainly so in Jagger's case.

I certainly did not mean to suggest they might begin to produce anything new in the studio - or elsewhere - on any kind of sizable scale. I don't think it would equate with anything like formal working. I really meant occasional get togethers, kind of like me and my mates in my front room. Noodling about. Hitting a groove. Having fun. And, just maybe, if something gells, they MIGHT do something with it. But there would be no plan, no objective. Just have a bit of a blast.

The context of my point was that I cannot see the band just stopping and separating forever. Then again maybe I'm just a nostalgic, sentimental old fool trying to keep the dream alive.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 14, 2023 19:42

What if simply being older meant having fewer projects?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 14, 2023 21:27

Depends on the respective individual(s). American composer Elliott Carter (1908-2012) stayed super-active composing new stuff even in his eleventh decade. Also Picasso kept painting frantically until his death. Also Clint Eastwood doesn't really seem to tire. Others may call it a day a bit earlier (or, depending on their health, may be forced to).

It is certainly true that doing some studio work is better compatible with older age than doing dozens of shows a year. I for one would certainly like some more studio offerings from the Stones. Whether they will choose that path, or what other path, we will see.

I can easily see Mick staying active as a songwriter, but, as he stated in (more or less) recent interviews, he appears to be content having written them without much urge to produce them for a release. Keith, dunno, maybe if someone lures him into more solo work, as seems to have happened in the case of CH. Ronnie seems happy with his painting, but I could imagine we will also get another solo album from him at some point.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 14, 2023 22:57

Irix
It's from: "Stones x Bearbricks" - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , [TheRollingStonesShop.com] - (up to $1,200). About Bearbrick by Japanese MediCom Toy Inc. - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

You don't say?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 14, 2023 23:39

just to jump onto this theme of there future

i agree with stoneage another album of original material after this one seems highly unlikely

but there early albums seem like they could be a good model for them going forward

once a year, 30-40 mins, mostly covers with two or there original songs

that doesn't seem like an impossible herculean task for them and would certainly please a great many of us

as for touring i'll hold off on that until after the flood of interviews they'll be undoubtedly doing very soon to promote the new album

seems likley mick and the rest of them will be asked about touring and mick may make some comment about what's going on with his leg

after that i think we'll have a clearer picture of there future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 23:41 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: July 15, 2023 00:34

I haven't given up yet on (some) more new music. Also depends on how many songs they actually recorded over the past eight (?) years, and in what "condition" they might be (i.e., produced like ready for release, only in need of finishing touches, mere sketches, etc.). Can't be they spent almost a decade and came up with only 10-12 songs.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: July 15, 2023 03:11

GerardHennessy
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

A very insightful point my friend. I hear the sound of a hammer hitting a nail right on its head. Accurate and clearly focused.

For some, like The Stones, and Mick in particular, time has seemed to stand still. And the ageing process has moved at a snail-like pace. Truly the band is a phenomenon. Yes, there are others out there who also seem to defy age. Dave Brock of Hawkwind is 82. John Mayall is 90. Both are still performing. BUT Mayall sits at the organ. Dave Brock stands in the same place through each performance, and the amazing lighting effects and spectacular visuals that Hawkwind use are the main focus of each performance. The Stones are quite different. The band are central to everything. Jagger works a stage almost as big as a football pitch. Keith and Ronnie, while not in Jagger's league, are still highly prominent, and active throughout each two-hour concert.

Given all of this, it has always been tempting to think that, somehow, the band would never stop. Defy all logic! Live forever. PERFORM forever. It could not continue of course, and I wonder, increasingly, if that moment has now arrived? I live next door to a guy in his mid-80's. For decades he led a life of almost superhuman fitness and activity. Each year he ran 5-6 full marathons, and God knows how many half-marathons. He trained 365 days each year, hail, rain, sleet, snow. At 83 years old I would see him doing full-on workouts in his garden IN POURING RAIN. Nothing deterred him. Then last year he suddenly cut right back. Ten mile runs became twenty minute walks. Full workouts were replaced by an hour on the local golf driving range. He's still healthy. Still active. But the extraordinary intensity is no more. When I asked him, politely, about it, he said, 'It just became too much. It was no longer fun'

I wonder if that might be what is happening with The Stones? I'm not saying that is definitely the case. But it just might be. Sometimes we just reach a point in our lives when stopping, or at least reducing, what we have always done, becomes attractive. And we just do it. We cut back and take a slower pathway.

I don't think The Stones will ever just stop everything. That is one of the reasons why I totally agree with Doxa. I believe they will always want to 'keep their hands in'. Do a bit of recording. Try out a few ideas. Maybe even do the odd gig on a much smaller scale. Perhaps something acoustic. Possibly stream something from a studio somewhere, in front of an invited audience. The options are endless.

Whatever they do is fine with me. They have given me, and millions more, a lifetime of pleasure. More delight than I had any right to ask for. In return I just want them to be happy, be fulfilled, be safe. And live on and on and on and on....

Wow! Stuff like these are the reason I keep visiting this site every single day.
Great post GerardHennessy.
Props to Doxa and Stoneage as well.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 15, 2023 06:09

All of us like to speculate, of course. I don't see tour-wise many differences happening,,,to me either it's the full band (at this point Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Steve) with Mick actively working the whole stage, or they stop. Same with the new album, albeit with guest stars, original songs with one or two covers, or nothing. I do think both will happen, eventually.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-15 06:10 by angee.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2023 11:15

Topi

You don't say?

Stupid comment .... thumbs down

Date: July 15, 2023 14:55

Irix

Funny that there don't seem to be Grateful Dead bears. I'd rather expect a Dead bear than a Stones bear.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...682683684685686687688689690691692...LastNext
Current Page: 687 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home