Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...677678679680681682683684685686687...LastNext
Current Page: 682 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 4, 2023 23:18

Maybe Mick hits the wall with his knee. Thats the origin of the injury

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 5, 2023 00:07

Got a song title: The Ballad of Wounded Knee

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 5, 2023 00:55

Be careful of cultural appropriation. (Only partly kidding.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-05 00:56 by angee.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2023 01:32

Spud
So we've gone from "hitting the wall" to having too much to choose from grinning smiley

smiling smiley

Yes, it appears that way, but the saga has evolved several times since then...

Which brings us back to GerardHennesy's thought that the album may end up as the "dogs breakfast...all sorts of bits and pieces welded together in the studio"...
With several producers involved, not to mention the possibility of numerous special guests participating (several already confirmed), a lack of cohesiveness is a grim reality.
Hopefully they've been able to smooth out all the rough edges so it doesn't come across as a chunky blended mish-mash/hodgpodge of randomness aka "bits and pieces welded together" aka "dogs breakfast".
But even if that ends up as being the final result, it will be great to finally have a new Stones album once and for all - surely there will be some Stonesy greatness to appreciate and enjoy for many years to come.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 5, 2023 03:12

I agree. Even though we haven't heard a single song yet, we know it sucks, but it's great there's a new Stones album even though it probably won't ever be released and really, if we're honest, it's better that they don't bother since Keith hates Andrew Watt and really they owe us an explanation, it's been nearly 40 years since we had a proper Stones album so grateful all the guest stars can help bring it across the finish line. Maybe they do a cover of "Freebird" as a tribute to Charlie or something. so long as it's a duet, it would be worth hearing. It can't help but disappoint since everything they've done does, but still I can't wait to have something worth listening to even if it never comes out.

Date: July 5, 2023 03:30

DiegoGlimmerStones

“There’s about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up,” says Wood, “and Keith’s got the odd one, too.” Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Don Was, who has been co-producing the Stones since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, told us that over the course of the new album sessions, a tremendous amount of material has been tracked by the band. According to him, Jagger and Richards simply haven’t created the album they want to release yet: “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough — it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album’ll come out.”

[iorr.org]

Hard to believe that Rolling Stone article goes all the way back to 2016, while the other link dates back to 2019 - seems like an eternity.
Thankfully they've released one new original Stones tune since then with Ghost Town, but unfortunately that's all they've been able to muster up.
Just a matter of time now...fingers crossed....hope and pray it happens...time will tell...maybe some time this year, or maybe the next...or the next...or the next...
But however long it takes, hopefully they don't title it The Dogs Breakfast!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-05 03:39 by Hairball.

Date: July 5, 2023 08:27

Rocky Dijon
I agree. Even though we haven't heard a single song yet, we know it sucks, but it's great there's a new Stones album even though it probably won't ever be released and really, if we're honest, it's better that they don't bother since Keith hates Andrew Watt and really they owe us an explanation, it's been nearly 40 years since we had a proper Stones album so grateful all the guest stars can help bring it across the finish line. Maybe they do a cover of "Freebird" as a tribute to Charlie or something. so long as it's a duet, it would be worth hearing. It can't help but disappoint since everything they've done does, but still I can't wait to have something worth listening to even if it never comes out.

That sums it up pretty well!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 5, 2023 10:22

Topi
Rocky Dijon

It does, but almost 40 years since a proper album... Hmm.. I hope that does not refer to TATTOO YOU, since that was no way a 'proper album', just a collection of old out-takes that Jagger just Frankenstein-like finished, with some producer Keith surely hated. Thankfully there was Pete Townshend and Sonny Rollins helping them out there.

- Doxa

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 5, 2023 11:24

Topi
Rocky Dijon
She's a friend who was at the studio to listen to tracks or she recorded with them and the track she cut wasn't used. Not really a big deal.

I thought Dua Lipa said as well that she didn't record with the Stones, she just hung out at the studio?

I think so far the only confirmed guests are Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman and Ben Waters.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation stating that also the Stones themselves will guest on a track on their new album.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 5, 2023 13:04

If this album is full of a bunch of guest appearances it will be the equivalent of Chuck Berry having a late career hit with My Ding-A-Ling.
Fckng nauseating.
The thought of Elton John playing on a Stones record makes me physically ill.
And McCartney? That narcissistic douchebag has one aim,to attach his name to the Stones.
I can just see it now” I dropped in and helped the boys out, they hadn’t written anything new in awhile so I lent a hand . John and I wrote their first hit you know.even though after we broke up they made albums better than anything we could dream of and rewrote the book on live performances, well I’m Paul and I need attention, ya know.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 5, 2023 13:13

wow dude that's a peak into your own head that I don't think I needed to see. its just a record dude.....

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 5, 2023 13:20

Rip This
wow dude that's a peak into your own head that I don't think I needed to see. its just a record dude.....

Ok “Dude”

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 5, 2023 16:42

lem motlow
If this album is full of a bunch of guest appearances it will be the equivalent of Chuck Berry having a late career hit with My Ding-A-Ling.
Fckng nauseating.
The thought of Elton John playing on a Stones record makes me physically ill.
And McCartney? That narcissistic douchebag has one aim,to attach his name to the Stones.
I can just see it now” I dropped in and helped the boys out, they hadn’t written anything new in awhile so I lent a hand . John and I wrote their first hit you know.even though after we broke up they made albums better than anything we could dream of and rewrote the book on live performances, well I’m Paul and I need attention, ya know.

That was a damn good Paul impression!

I had his voice in my head saying the words you wrote.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 5, 2023 17:22

doitywoik
Topi
Rocky Dijon
She's a friend who was at the studio to listen to tracks or she recorded with them and the track she cut wasn't used. Not really a big deal.

I thought Dua Lipa said as well that she didn't record with the Stones, she just hung out at the studio?

I think so far the only confirmed guests are Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman and Ben Waters.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation stating that also the Stones themselves will guest on a track on their new album.

Oh yes! Love it! As MeatLoaf sang, courtesy of Jim Steinman, 'You took the words right outta my mouth...'

But having said all that, I'm with those good people who have said, even if it IS a mish mash, even if its an unholy mess, and a dogs breakfast, AND a sad disappointment, it will still good to have SOMETHING from The Stones. If only to confirm they are still with us!

I have now begun to think that when (if??), the new album actually appears, it will seem like a strange radio transmission from way, way, WAY out in space, from a galaxy far far away, telling us there IS life out here. Just look harder for it.. I imagine myself picking it up gingerly. touching it carefully, in case it is merely a mirage. A hologram I can put my hand through, and nothing more that a kind of visual trick...

Forgive me for being silly good people. I think it's the waiting that has finally brought me to breaking point.. The night before last I dreamt my son told me the Rolling Stones did not exist. That I had just imagined them. Then I woke up, in a panic, and realised it was just a nightmare. They DO exist! Don't they??...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 5, 2023 18:03

My Five Stages of New Album Emotion:

Excitement.
Depression.
Denial.
Anger.
Excitement.

I've come full circle...bring it on!
Long Live The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 5, 2023 18:12

My dog doesn't usually eat breakfast!

Date: July 5, 2023 19:22

Doxa
It does, but almost 40 years since a proper album... Hmm.. I hope that does not refer to TATTOO YOU, since that was no way a 'proper album', just a collection of old out-takes that Jagger just Frankenstein-like finished, with some producer Keith surely hated. Thankfully there was Pete Townshend and Sonny Rollins helping them out there.

- Doxa

The 40 years would refer to UNDERCOVER, but it's really an arbitrary number selected for the purpose of negating all the work done over the intervening years for the purpose of bitching for it's own sake. It's similar to how we can talk about what they did 35 years ago as if it were only 5 years ago or how we used to suggest it was unacceptable that old men well past retirement age needed or wanted months off each year.

Date: July 5, 2023 19:34

doitywoik

That's a very good one.

Date: July 5, 2023 19:39

skytrench

Nice!

Date: July 5, 2023 19:57

doitywoik

They can use AI to majestically interweave some old unused recordings and/or artificial replicas of their younger selves on to latter era recordings of their much older selves.
Imagine a very young Mick harmonizing/duetting with a much older Mick...or a crunchy menacing guitar riff from a young Keith 'weaving' with the softer touch of a much older Keith.
While the Stones have done similar things with scrapings from the barrel, and the Beatles also with Lennon demos, the skies the limit in this day and age at what is possible and what is not.
And if touring is over, there's always the new ABBA Avatar blueprint to ponder and/or holograms. Imagine every band member and side musician of the Stones that ever existed sharing the same stage. Anythings possible.

Date: July 5, 2023 20:17

Bungo
Keith could use a new stylist. His latest ensembles look like crap. Why doesn't his wife tell him something?

Maybe she does, and that's the result ... winking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2023 20:43

I read pretty fast so I have time to wonder how much time it takes some of you guys to write such nonsense. and everyday!

Date: July 5, 2023 22:18

Topi
Rocky Dijon

Yeah! I like the cut of his jib. Or something.

Date: July 5, 2023 22:19

Hairball
doitywoik

They can use AI to majestically interweave some old unused recordings and/or artificial replicas of their younger selves on to latter era recordings of their much older selves.
Imagine a very young Mick harmonizing/duetting with a much older Mick...or a crunchy menacing guitar riff from a young Keith 'weaving' with the softer touch of a much older Keith.
While the Stones have done similar things with scrapings from the barrel, and the Beatles also with Lennon demos, the skies the limit in this day and age at what is possible and what is not.
And if touring is over, there's always the new ABBA Avatar blueprint to ponder and/or holograms. Imagine every band member and side musician of the Stones that ever existed sharing the same stage. Anythings possible.

you've made my nipples quite hard right now.

Date: July 5, 2023 22:35

lol...

Date: July 6, 2023 00:25

Hairball
doitywoik

I'm rather thinking of interweaving an original Keith rhythm track with its ProTools-adjusted version, and possibly some leftover Charlie drum track from an abandoned song going along with it ... Captain Beefheart might be lurking just around the corner ... could even be experimental enough to satisfy Mick's electro-acoustic requests and requiries (OK, let him add a few oh yeahs recorded through the bathroom door ...).

Date: July 6, 2023 00:39

Don't forget the Brian Jones guitar tracks.

Date: July 6, 2023 02:51

That's great doitywoik. smiling smiley

The dogs begin to bark, and hounds begin to howl......

Posted by: 5StringsEnuff ()
Date: July 6, 2023 03:00

"Never make predictions, especially about the future" - Casey Stengel

The inarguably wise words of Mr. Stengel aside, I proceed at my peril with the following:

Keith Richards wants to make a Rolling Stones album. I think we can all agree on what that means. Mick Jagger wants to make a Rolling Stones album for the Twenty-First Century. I am not sure we all know what that means. In fact, I am not sure that Mick knows exactly what that means, which is why he is so receptive to outside collaborators -- producers, musicians -- as part of his process in defining it.

Recent evidence points strongly to a new album of originals in the not-too-distant future. In anticipation of its arrival I bravely and foolishly predict the following:

Approximately one-third of the tracks will clearly reflect Keith's vision of a Rolling Stones album. One third will reflect Mick's, such as it is. As to the balance of the tracks each of us will find aspects in them that reflect both of those perspectives, depending on one's subjective criteria.

As has been the norm since the Eighties, the compositional history of the album will be varied; there will be a handful of songs whose point of genesis can be traced back many years -- if not decades at this point -- that will include new titles, lyrics and arrangements. There will be tracks whose inception and completion originated definitively at any one of the various sporadic recording sessions prior to Charlie's passing. The same for others after he left us.

Others will be less clear in that regard; started at this session at this location during these dates, worked on further at different sessions on different dates (including different years) at a different location and finished via new sessions, locations and dates. Several will likely have been started and finished during the final push to the finish line this last year.

Keith and Mick will give interviews at the time of the release; perhaps given the fin d’une époque nature of the project they may even relent to doing some together. In those interviews they will cite certain songs as being really Keith's, others as having been Mick-written and there will be some that they will characterize as being true Jagger/Richards efforts. Again, all very characteristic of the past and thus, hardly constituting bold forecasting on my part.

Our estimation of the value of the contributions of the musical guests -- superstars or not -- will rest less on the presence of the guests and more on what we think about the song itself. Paul McCartney will not save a duff tune -- nor will his presence undermine a really good one (the man CAN really play, as if this is at all a legitimate issue).

As for what in the end will be regarded as the only truly relevant question of the entire endless thread count of this topic, I, for one, suspect that we will be pleasantly surprised -- and relieved.

- 5StringsEnuff

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 6, 2023 16:07

skytrench

I WANT your dog! He/she sounds like a beautifully trained, well nourished and altogether admirable pet. You can have mine instead. He eats several breakfasts. And eats them greedily. All of them just a mixture of leftovers, old stuff in my refrigerator, things I forgot I bought and now want to get rid of. There is even the occasional quite nice morsel of actual dog food.

In its own way, all of the above is kind of what the 'new' Stones album MIGHT consist of. (I hope I'm wrong). Stuff that was misplaced in the vaults. Recordings that were forgotten about until someone said 'what about that track we did at Eddie Grant's place in The Bahamas?'. Other things that seemed sub-standard when recording Steel Wheels, but now sound 'not as bad as we remember'. Plus one of two guide tracks that can be polished up, over-dubbed, new vocal added, and popped on the final version. And then, joy of joys, A BRAND NEW RECORDING to add the final sheen to the entire affair. Mind you it has only got Mick and Keith on it from The Stones, and they assembled it remotely over zoom. But, wait, wait for the BIG news- Paul Macca plays DRUMS on it! Yep, he sure does. Recollecting his exploits when recording The Ballad of John and Yoko, when he played drums, while Lennon sang and played everything else, Macca felt that this would be his last great contribution to the world of recorded music before returning to Scotland and buying more sheep...

This is all meant to be absolutely total drivel. Errant nonsense. Stupid to the nth degree. Problem is, now that I look at it, it does not seem as stupid, or as unlikely, as I first thought...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...677678679680681682683684685686687...LastNext
Current Page: 682 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home