Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Greg Lake - RIP
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:13

DandelionPowderman
Those two albums are among the best albums ever made, imo.

I am not a fan of progressive rock, but those albums he recorded with King Crimson are awesome. Especially the first one, on which I agree with alieb by rating it as amazing. RIP Greg and thanks for the music.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:40

RIP Mr Lake... thank you for all of the great music you gave us... you will live forever

I will still always believe in Father Christmas, my favorite Christmas song sad smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I wish you a Hopeful Christmas, I wish you a Brave New Year

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:46

Witness

I never listened to them and I'm quite skeptical about that. I get that it is your opinion but really, the best ever made is like saying mac & cheese is the best food ever invented when everyone knows that pizza is near the top. grinning smiley

When your opinion of the best album ever made strays so far from the consensus that it is beyond an outlier, your credibility is at risk for a serious downgrade.

The words used by Dandelion were "among the best albums ever made, imo".

I have not heard enough music and have not got musical knowledge to be able to state such a view myself. But as you contest it, within my more limited scope for experience and from the taste I have got, though, I think there is some basis for a viewpoint with such a tendency, as to the first album. Of course, there are other candidates as well. But IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSOM KING is among them.

You may also notice which posters, apart from Dandelion, who have those albums in high esteem. Among them, Silver Dagger and, if my memory does not fail me, His Majesty (arrest me if I am wrong.) Possibly this is not music for everybody.

It is quite bold, I think, to deny as much as the possibility when you have not heard them at all.

it IS probably better to disagree with someone if you have a slight clue what you're talking about.i never liked that "progressive rock" term it was just a label some a-hole journalist came up with.i've never heard anyone talk like that in real life and now in 2016 on the internet it's used among fans like its a legit term instead of some bullshit a writer came up with.

i saw ELP on their 77 tour a few weeks after lynyrd skynyrds plane crash ,the thought being you never know when you'll see them again so i better jump at the chance.i'm glad i did because i never saw them again and they were a mindblowing band,the musicianship was topnotch.between carl palmers drumming,emersons keyboards and gregs guitar and vocals it was a bit overwhelming how talented they were.

if any historians want to see the decay of rock and roll you could look at the change from the early 70's when people listened to ELP and the moody blues and the second half of the decade when shit like kansas,boston,journey and foreigner was thought to be the new cutting edge when of course it was really just AOR commercial garbage.

but i digress-rest in peace greg lake,one of rock and rolls best.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:53

Ohhh my
Love and light to him - love and light, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:56

HankM
RIP Mr Lake... thank you for all of the great music you gave us... you will live forever

I will still always believe in Father Christmas, my favorite Christmas song sad smiley

[www.youtube.com]

It's one of my favorites, too - particularly the stripped down version without the choir.
video: [youtu.be]

My rock n roll Christmas CD compilation has really taken a hit this year...first Bowie ("Little Drummer Boy" with Bing)...then Glenn Frey (Eagles' "Please Come Home For Christmas")...then Emerson, and now Lake ("I Believe In Father Christmas").

RIP Greg.

Date: December 9, 2016 00:16

Jah Paul

[www.youtube.com]

It's one of my favorites, too - particularly the stripped down version without the choir.
[youtu.be]

My rock n roll Christmas CD compilation has really taken a hit this year...first Bowie ("Little Drummer Boy" with Bing)...then Glenn Frey (Eagles' "Please Come Home For Christmas")...then Emerson, and now Lake ("I Believe In Father Christmas").

RIP Greg.

That is an excellent version. Thank you winking smiley
I could listen to versions of Greg Lake's song over and over and I have for years. I am not sure why it is so special to me, but it is.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:19

Sad news indeed. Although Stones-style rock and roll was always my favorite genre, I had a soft spot in my heart for ELP back in the seventies. Lake was a very gifted singer and musician.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:44

Another great lost this year and we got 3 weeks to go confused smiley ................. love the band he was playing in................

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:50

mr_dja
Edit/Addition: I just listened to the acoustic version of "Still you turn me on" that witness shared... THANK YOU for sharing that! Wonderful version and something that I needed to hear today. Thanks again.

I believe that was me who shared that , but...you're welcome mr_dja!

And here's the electric full band version...when that wah wah comes in at the 1:00 mark I'm reminded of my youth glued to the the stereo...

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Still... You Turn Me On

RIP

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 9, 2016 01:22

Another big loss. Greg was so talented. RIP Greg.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 9, 2016 09:40

Already when I posted myself, there was some trouble with quotation. Below some clarification as to who wrote what:

lem motlow
Witness
The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

I never listened to them and I'm quite skeptical about that. I get that it is your opinion but really, the best ever made is like saying mac & cheese is the best food ever invented when everyone knows that pizza is near the top. grinning smiley

When your opinion of the best album ever made strays so far from the consensus that it is beyond an outlier, your credibility is at risk for a serious downgrade.

I have not heard enough music and have not got musical knowledge to be able to state such a view myself. But as you contest it, within my more limited scope for experience and from the taste I have got, though, I think there is some basis for a viewpoint with such a tendency, as to the first album. Of course, there are other candidates as well. But IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSOM KING is among them.

You may also notice which posters, apart from Dandelion, who have those albums in high esteem. Among them, Silver Dagger and, if my memory does not fail me, His Majesty (arrest me if I am wrong.) Possibly this is not music for everybody.

It is quite bold, I think, to deny as much as the possibility when you have not heard them at all.

it IS probably better to disagree with someone if you have a slight clue what you're talking about.i never liked that "progressive rock" term it was just a label some a-hole journalist came up with.i've never heard anyone talk like that in real life and now in 2016 on the internet it's used among fans like its a legit term instead of some bullshit a writer came up with.

i saw ELP on their 77 tour a few weeks after lynyrd skynyrds plane crash ,the thought being you never know when you'll see them again so i better jump at the chance.i'm glad i did because i never saw them again and they were a mindblowing band,the musicianship was topnotch.between carl palmers drumming,emersons keyboards and gregs guitar and vocals it was a bit overwhelming how talented they were.

if any historians want to see the decay of rock and roll you could look at the change from the early 70's when people listened to ELP and the moody blues and the second half of the decade when shit like kansas,boston,journey and foreigner was thought to be the new cutting edge when of course it was really just AOR commercial garbage.

Edit: A misprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 10:32 by Witness.

Date: December 9, 2016 10:25

lem motlow

whats funny is you must have missed the first few kanas and journey albums when they were prog rock

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 9, 2016 11:39

Hairball

Edit/Addition: I just listened to the acoustic version of "Still you turn me on" that witness shared... THANK YOU for sharing that! Wonderful version and something that I needed to hear today. Thanks again.

And here's the electric full band version...when that wah wah comes in at the 1:00 mark I'm reminded of my youth glued to the the stereo...

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Still... You Turn Me On

RIP

Yeah - that wah wah bit is amazing. Up there with Clatpon's wah wah on Presence Of The Lord on the Rainbow 73 album.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 9, 2016 11:50

Sad news.

I believe it's not too popular round here, but I like his King Crimson stuff, and, particularly still love to hear the In The Court Of The Crimson King album.

RIP Greg Lake. And, farewell, you'll be remembered through your music.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 9, 2016 15:18

Hairball

And you believe correctly now that I double check... Oops! Bleated thanks in the correct direction! Although I rarely post while drinking (which can lead to some interesting) apparently I need to take more care when posting while already multi-tasking at work. I WILL get it right when this time when I say to Hairball: My wife extends her thanks as well as I played her that acoustic version last night. smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 9, 2016 15:51

The Sicilian

He he, I didn't know I had a lot of credibility to loose? smiling smiley

There are a few who agree with me, though:

– In his 1997 book Rocking the Classics, critic and musicologist Edward Macan notes that In the Court of the Crimson King "may be the most influential progressive rock album ever released".

– The Who's Pete Townshend was quoted as calling the album "an uncanny masterpiece".
– In the Q & Mojo Classic Special Edition Pink Floyd & The Story of Prog Rock, the album came fourth in its list of "40 Cosmic Rock Albums".
– The album was named as one of Classic Rock magazine's "50 Albums That Built Prog Rock".
– In 2014, readers of Rhythm voted it the eighth greatest drumming album in the history of progressive rock.
– In 2015, Rolling Stone named In the Court of the Crimson King the second greatest progressive rock album of all time, behind Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:24

Greg Lake played bass on The Who's Real Good looking Boy. here he is in the studio with The Who

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:41

DandelionPowderman

– In his 1997 book Rocking the Classics, critic and musicologist Edward Macan notes that In the Court of the Crimson King "may be the most influential progressive rock album ever released".

– The Who's Pete Townshend was quoted as calling the album "an uncanny masterpiece".
– In the Q & Mojo Classic Special Edition Pink Floyd & The Story of Prog Rock, the album came fourth in its list of "40 Cosmic Rock Albums".
– The album was named as one of Classic Rock magazine's "50 Albums That Built Prog Rock".
– In 2014, readers of Rhythm voted it the eighth greatest drumming album in the history of progressive rock.
– In 2015, Rolling Stone named In the Court of the Crimson King the second greatest progressive rock album of all time, behind Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon

So did Prog Magazine in their August issue 2014. Behind Yes' Close To The Edge.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:23

The Sicilian

DandelionPowderman

BTW, your credibility is impeccable. cool smiley

Back in the 70's, I crashed with my friend in his mess of a bedroom one night and we listened to a new album he just got for what seemed like hours. That album was "Yessongs." I begged him to let me borrow it and he did, but I wouldn't give it back. I would sit in my bedroom with the headphones on (those big bulky ones) and spin that record on my Technics turntable endlessly. Though after constant badgering and threats I relented. For me that was the pinnacle of Progressive Rock, literally.

Date: December 10, 2016 01:52

Thus,
The moral is, again, DO NOT loan people books or music... tell em to buy their own!

It is OK to loan friends the money to buy them though...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:11

Another tip of the hat for In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon. BTW, the current three-drummer King Crimson plays a generous chunk of both albums. Massive!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 10, 2016 18:40

dear Dandelion

if I remember correctly, you had the chance to see King Crimson recently.
Was Greg Lake in the line up ?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 10, 2016 19:37

Greg Lake was not in the recent Crimson lineup. Tony Levin plays bass and stick, Jakko Jackczyk sings and plays second guitar.

Date: December 10, 2016 20:10

thanks ab for your message.

Tony Levin is a very good player, with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel.

Date: December 10, 2016 20:13

djgab
dear Dandelion

if I remember correctly, you had the chance to see King Crimson recently.
Was Greg Lake in the line up ?

No, he quit 46 years ago. They have had many singers since he quit.

I'm going to Adrian Belew's show in Oslo in April, though. He sang and played guitar with them between 1981 and 2010, or so smiling smiley

Date: December 10, 2016 23:11

Thanks Dandelion. I know just a little bit of King Crimson and less of ELP. Still a lot of good music to discover !

Date: December 10, 2016 23:34

thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2016 16:48

It's been decades since I listened regularly to this type of music, but holy Moses:
What a splendid voice the man had! The concert performances are blowing me away - just flawless,
and it pours out of him as natural as breathing. This piece is remote from a lot of people's current tastes I'm sure -
the album it's from was a stretch for people at the time too - but never mind the frufru and hark to what the man could do:
[www.youtube.com]

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 01:47 by with sssoul.

Date: December 11, 2016 17:10

or maybe some King Crimson Cat Food: [www.youtube.com]
I think Greg Lake was not especially comfortable in King Crimson,
but what a job he did, on all three of his instruments.
Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 17:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 11, 2016 17:15

Here's the nice interview with Greg

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home