Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Declipping Blue and Lonesome
Date: December 7, 2016 18:09

Hello,

has anybody tried to declip Blue and Lonesome? If so, which tracks/all of them? In which software and which algorithm?

I tried to do it in Audacity and Clip Fix, by reduction of volume -3 or -2,5 dB dB and the Clip Fix at 95 per cent, also 98 per cent gave me good results. For sure it is great alternative to original mix, which is not terrible, but it is compressed and since distortion has already been applied before compression can be perceived as too much.

Aint it better to go down e.g. by -8 dB, apply Clip Fix and then amplify to very rare clipping?

Or which (preferably open source or low-price for home use) software and workflow would you recommend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 18:09 by jumpingjackflash5.

Re: Declipping Blue and Lonesome
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2016 18:40

I asked about this in another thread but I can't remember which one it was!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 8, 2016 06:19

It is what it is. Once you start declipping, you are changing the song as much as it was when clipped. It sounds fine to my ears, I don't see a reason to do anything.

BTW, (not saying you in particular) I've long felt too many are 'viewing' albums in their audio programs too often to judge the music. Just 'listen', no need to over-analyze, it takes away from the enjoyment.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 8, 2016 09:57

I think the compression is in the mix. There's not much that can be done about it IMO.

Try the HD version which sounds better than the CD to my ears.

Date: December 8, 2016 09:58

I agree that overanalyzing can be bad for music.

The compression+distortion on Blue and Lonesome is a bit too much, I think. I also preferred the older issues of Virgin/EMI catalogue since 2009 version were compressed.

Date: December 8, 2016 09:59

I do not have HD version and do not want much to buy it twice, moreover I am from Czech republic and web stores do not have HD version available.

Date: December 8, 2016 10:43

I don't see the need to do anything with this album when listening to vinyl. It sounds great.

The download version, however, sound a bit hard and rough - very light on bass. Then I just EQ my way to a good sound.

Date: December 8, 2016 10:45

Maybe for vinyl different, less compressed mastering was used. Unfortunately this has been recently common.

By the way I do not complain for much the distortion that has been used during recording/production, that is +- OK. But the one caused by final mastering - further compression for CD/digital. It can be somewhat reversed by declipping, however.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 10:49 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2016 11:57

You might try to play the files thru VLC. As you do, active the EQ tool of the player and set the premap level to zero. It'll decrease the output signal by 15 dB's or so.
Like any other declipping solution it doesn't undamage what's been damaged with the hot mastering.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 8, 2016 12:00

I'm happy to wait for the vinyl ... For the reasons given above

Date: December 8, 2016 12:00

Audacity can easy deamplify by selected value of dB. That is not a problem, I only search whether some free or very cheap alternative to Clip Fix is used.

Date: December 8, 2016 12:03

midimannz
I'm happy to wait for the vinyl ... For the reasons given above

An option to download pre-cd mastering tracks would be even better. Vinyl is just a medium. I would be very happy if I can listen to what was actually recorded/mixed on studio analog tapes (with a bit of distortion that was applied). I fully respect mixing etc., but I suspect final CD mastering process used a lot of compression and this is not good trend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 12:04 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 8, 2016 12:29

DandelionPowderman
I don't see the need to do anything with this album when listening to vinyl. It sounds great.

The download version, however, sound a bit hard and rough - very light on bass. Then I just EQ my way to a good sound.

Totaly agree.
The vinyl sounds fine...and I'm normally very critical of modern production & mastering.

A bit more separation & clarity might have been nice ...but the same could be said of that ball of noise that is Exile On Main St ...and we don't worry about it too much with that one !

[In fact part of Exile's many charms is that after forty odd years of listening to it you can still occasionally pick up in that murky mix the odd little thing that you hadn't really heard before.

...and this despite the numerous re-masterings and fancy pressings ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 12:33 by Spud.

Date: December 8, 2016 12:32

Alright - a pity that we that have bought CD do not have access to different master that was apparenlty used for vinyl.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 8, 2016 12:44

They didn't necessarily use a different master...there are so many variables throughout the whole process, which all contribute to the final sound via any given medium.

Date: December 8, 2016 13:45

CD format requires "just" downconversion (resampling, dither) to 16/44.1. But the dynamic range is the same at 24/48,24/96 or whatever what used for digital workflow. For vinyl you need different mastering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home