Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Ronnie Wood wants The Stones to play series of small club dates"
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 11, 2016 23:37

Green Lady

I know the old nested nested nested quote boxes could get abused... but it would be nice to see them come back. It take a lot of looking these days to see who said exactly said what part of post. A lot of posts these days look more like a schizophrenic arguing with them self than a back and forth discussion

thumbs up When did it change? It wasn't broke, so why fix it?

I noticed it 3-4 days ago when someone didn't show my picture in their quote of my post, and I wondered why... but it was OK... but then when I quoted their quote of them quoting me it looked like all me.... and I was around around for Rod Stieger Rod Serling.

But I thought it was probably a one time glitch, so I manually fixed up the quote boxes and moved along...

But now I am noticing it all over the place. No nested quotes and no quoted pictures.
I guess it is because... I dont know sad smiley but.... who knows

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 05:24

DandelionPowderman

The funny thing is that some of the thinking out loud-stuff Ronnie has done in the press in recent years actually have materialised. It happened! smiling smiley

It's an old politician's trick. Say the unthinkable every now again and (amid the outrage) see what actually sticks.

Sorry I think I mentioned politics there. Naughty me.

An old trick indeed, but the news is that it is Ronnie doing it on behalf of the Glimmers smiling smiley

On behalf of the Glimmer Twins? No, he certainly has not. He's been telling the press this for nearly a month now. As a bloody joke. But album sales have surprised and energized all. If they do decide to tour next year, perhaps a warm up gig playing BL is possible? Similar to the Stcky Fingers show in the States last year.

He was the first to tell us about the comeback and the tours, wasn't he? He broke other news as well. We laughed, but it did happen smiling smiley

Just trying to present a dose of realty. Believe as you wish.

I don't believe anything. I observe.

I listen to the band. They haven't lied to me yetsmiling smiley At least as of last week, things are in discussion. But a club tour is not one of them.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 05:26

Can you ask Ronnie why he's getting everybody all excited?

Date: December 12, 2016 05:38

He's doing it for a laugh.

Date: December 12, 2016 05:39

Well I can't blame him for that.

Date: December 12, 2016 05:43

Can you ask Keith if he still uses a 24w string for his g-string on Micawber? I've been curious about how that guitar is setup.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 12, 2016 11:05

Why should Jagger ruin his voice in a sort of club/theatre tour where they earn nothing, at least no multi millions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 18:31 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 12, 2016 11:19

I'm not basing this on the statement of this thread alone, but....could it be that slowly, very slowly, Ronnie is moving more towards the front of the ruling class within the Stones?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2016 11:21

Socrates1
Can you ask Keith if he still uses a 24w string for his g-string on Micawber? I've been curious about how that guitar is setup.

He uses a plain 18

If I'm not mistaken I think his usual set is something like .

18 P.
30w
42w

[I prefer a 12 for the top D]

The overall feel is a bit like playing an 11-48 set in standard tuning if you need a clue as to what to expect .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 11:27 by Spud.

Date: December 12, 2016 11:24

mpj200

The funny thing is that some of the thinking out loud-stuff Ronnie has done in the press in recent years actually have materialised. It happened! smiling smiley

It's an old politician's trick. Say the unthinkable every now again and (amid the outrage) see what actually sticks.

Sorry I think I mentioned politics there. Naughty me.

An old trick indeed, but the news is that it is Ronnie doing it on behalf of the Glimmers smiling smiley

On behalf of the Glimmer Twins? No, he certainly has not. He's been telling the press this for nearly a month now. As a bloody joke. But album sales have surprised and energized all. If they do decide to tour next year, perhaps a warm up gig playing BL is possible? Similar to the Stcky Fingers show in the States last year.

He was the first to tell us about the comeback and the tours, wasn't he? He broke other news as well. We laughed, but it did happen smiling smiley

Just trying to present a dose of realty. Believe as you wish.

I don't believe anything. I observe.

I listen to the band. They haven't lied to me yetsmiling smiley At least as of last week, things are in discussion. But a club tour is not one of them.

I never said it was, nor did I believe so smiling smiley

Instead, I'm preparing for the biggest festival in my town ever this summer. A new one...

Date: December 12, 2016 11:30

Socrates1

Date: December 12, 2016 15:39

@Spud and Powderman: Cool, and I didn't know Ernie Ball made a custom set like that. I remember reading an old interview - from the Some Girls era, maybe - where Keith used a 24w string for the G. Probably his strings have gotten lighter over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 18:31 by Socrates1.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:59

Terrible idea. Fans will get shut out.

Date: December 12, 2016 18:49

Socrates1
@Spud and Powderman: Cool, and I didn't know Ernie Ball made a custom set like that. I remember reading an old interview - from the Some Girls era, maybe - where Keith used a 24w string for the G. Probably his strings have gotten lighter over the years.

It's quite likely that other gauges have been substituted in the studio over the years if he was looking for a certain quality of sound for a particular song or part.

In terms of regular 6 string gauges I think in recent years he's alternated between 10s & 11s...perhaps depending on how his fingers are holding up ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 18:51 by Spud.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:35

? I thought this thread was about possible small shows?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:49

drbryant
Terrible idea. Fans will get shut out.

Not if they embrace periscope tech and provide 3-4 solid feeds for the whole show.

I would be happy to go to each show and hang around off stage right holding an i phone and battery pack for a couple of hours. They could put me (and 3 others (I nominate Debbie for a part in this)) in nice spots where no gumpyrumpsters would even see us or our phones... and with solid feeds everyone who cares around the world could happily watch.

Date: December 13, 2016 08:16

Palace Revolution 2000
I'm not basing this on the statement of this thread alone, but....could it be that slowly, very slowly, Ronnie is moving more towards the front of the ruling class within the Stones?

No. The king still wears the crown.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:43

Well, the Heineken Music hall, or Paradiso??? Maybe, Ziggodome????smileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 13, 2016 14:57

Too much stress on Mick's voice and Charlie's back for not enough payoff. I can't see this happening. Super pandemonium would ensue in the rush to buy a small number of tickets. There would be geriatric riots.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 14, 2016 00:16

To be in the audience when The Rolling Stones perform in a club, that would be a big dream come true for me.

But I want to see them also for a typical club price concert for about 15 - 30 Euro.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:56

mpj200

No doubt; Mick is the undisputed leader. I was more thinking about Ron taking on that No 2 slot. I suspect that Jagger, nowadays listen to Leavell and even Matt Clifford more seriously, than to his bandmates. But Ronnie has been showing himself to be a serious player. His art-world, his radio-show, his family life, and of course his playing. Is it possible that at this very, very late stage my take on Ron, as guitarist could be revolutionized? Once again? His playing was superb on B&L.

Date: December 14, 2016 12:59

Palace Revolution 2000

No doubt; Mick is the undisputed leader. I was more thinking about Ron taking on that No 2 slot. I suspect that Jagger, nowadays listen to Leavell and even Matt Clifford more seriously, than to his bandmates. But Ronnie has been showing himself to be a serious player. His art-world, his radio-show, his family life, and of course his playing. Is it possible that at this very, very late stage my take on Ron, as guitarist could be revolutionized? Once again? His playing was superb on B&L.

Not to mention that he actually breaks real news (as the first stone) about the band these days.

- the rehearsals
- the tours¨
- the blues album
- how the blues album sounded
- the band commenting on Ronnie not being able to «keep a secret» in ole ole ole

etc, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 14:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 13:58

It's simply impossible today for the Band a series of small club dates...How many dates they must book to satisfy fans?!How much a ticket must cost?!Naaaa...Much better a big stadiums Tour with a couple of little venues!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 14:00

mailexile67
It's simply impossible today for the Band a series of small club dates...How many dates they must book to satisfy fans?!How much a ticket must cost?!Naaaa...Much better a big stadiums Tour with a couple of little venues!

or with the use of a "B stage" for performing B & L numbers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 14:07 by 1962.

Date: December 14, 2016 14:10

That could work really well but I can't see them bringing back the B stage at this late day in the proceedings.

But I'd be very happy to be proved wrong about that winking smiley

Date: December 15, 2016 07:16

DandelionPowderman

Not to mention that he actually breaks real news (as the first stone) about the band these days.

- the rehearsals
- the tours¨
- the blues album
- the band commenting on Ronnie not being able to «keep a secret» in ole ole ole

etc, etc.

Ronnie has always talked a lot to the press. No doubt about that. But it's still Mick driving the band. And then Keith. Chuck and Matt are not consulted on decisions on tours or recordings. Whatever ever they do next year, will be down to Mick. Because even Keith knows if your singer isn't happy, the band isn't firing on all cylinders.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 15, 2016 07:41

Palace Revolution 2000

Mick takes in a lot of opinions, including those of his band mates, and makes the decisions. All anyone, including KR, can do is to work to influence him. On the other hand, no one can force Keith to do anything. He chooses to keep the firm going.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 15, 2016 09:26

or with the use of a "B stage" for performing B & L numbers

thumbs upthumbs uphot smiley

Date: December 15, 2016 09:50

mpj200

- the rehearsals
- the tours¨
- the blues album

etc, etc.

Ronnie has always talked a lot to the press. No doubt about that. But it's still Mick driving the band. And then Keith. Chuck and Matt are not consulted on decisions on tours or recordings. Whatever ever they do next year, will be down to Mick. Because even Keith knows if your singer isn't happy, the band isn't firing on all cylinders.

I don't kow why you keep saying that, like there is anyone on here who doesn't know it? smiling smiley

The new thing with the Ronnie-talking is that the stuff he talked about actually happened. He never gave a detailed report from the Pathe Marconi-sessions in 1977, for instance, saying that «this time we're going back to the roots, to show the punks how it's supposed to be done».

This time he revealed that they did an album of blues covers, and that the songs sounded very authentic. Mick didn't say anything about that before it was close to the release date. That's new.

Date: December 15, 2016 11:24

DandelionPowderman

- the rehearsals
- the tours¨
- the blues album

etc, etc.

I don't kow why you keep saying that, like there is anyone on here who doesn't know it? smiling smiley

The new thing with the Ronnie-talking is that the stuff he talked about actually happened. He never gave a detailed report from the Pathe Marconi-sessions in 1977, for instance, saying that «this time we're going back to the roots, to show the punks how it's supposed to be done».

This time he revealed that they did an album of blues covers, and that the songs sounded very authentic. Mick didn't say anything about that before it was close to the release date. That's new.

Haha, that is funny. Yes Dandy - you're right. I don't think that anyone on the whole board lives in the illusion that anyone besides Mick runs that juggernaut.
On an aside: it is getting very hard to tell who said what in the quotes nowadays. I find myself going " wait a minute; that looks like I didn;'t even say this wonderful statement". On the other hand, if I let fly with some real crazy zinger, I can always go "Oh yes, everyone will think Dandy said that" LOL ( just joking buddy..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 11:30 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home