Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Vinyl killing the mp3 ?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:32

DandelionPowderman

Does anyone really think that a digitally recorded album sounds better on vinly? It's just... a CD on vinyl. Maybe it's mastered better. Seems like a cash grab whereas vinyl LPs from analog recorded albums is about the listening experience.

If someone wants to listen to an LP of their favorite artist just to be able to listen I doubt the format matters.

Something happens with the sound when it's mastered at lower volume. The sound of BAL in different formats makes that particularly evident.

I don't know how much this has to do with the quality of your turntable, though.

I think stuff mastered at higher levels tends to use more compression and as you know this usually reduces the overall dynamic range. Stuff with great dynamic range usually has the snare or other drum hits registering at the highest volume for a very short duration and sounds more natural and live to me. When longer lasting sounds get pushed up into the higher volume ranges the important difference between the drum cracks and the rest of the music tends to get lost and it wears the ears down. Listen to how George Massenburg mastered the Little Feat records in the last couple decades and you will hear what I am talking about. You can crank the volume on those records and it just sounds better and is still easy on the ears.

Date: December 9, 2016 21:41

Naturalust

Does anyone really think that a digitally recorded album sounds better on vinly? It's just... a CD on vinyl. Maybe it's mastered better. Seems like a cash grab whereas vinyl LPs from analog recorded albums is about the listening experience.

If someone wants to listen to an LP of their favorite artist just to be able to listen I doubt the format matters.

Something happens with the sound when it's mastered at lower volume. The sound of BAL in different formats makes that particularly evident.

I don't know how much this has to do with the quality of your turntable, though.

I think stuff mastered at higher levels tends to use more compression and as you know this usually reduces the overall dynamic range. Stuff with great dynamic range usually has the snare or other drum hits registering at the highest volume for a very short duration and sounds more natural and live to me. When longer lasting sounds get pushed up into the higher volume ranges the important difference between the drum cracks and the rest of the music tends to get lost and it wears the ears down. Listen to how George Massenburg mastered the Little Feat records in the last couple decades and you will hear what I am talking about. You can crank the volume on those records and it just sounds better and is still easy on the ears.

That's my experience as well. The LF-albums is a good example indeed. You can crank Keith's album as well. BAL is a tad more brutal on the ears.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:18

GasLightStreet

For the vinyl release they usually use the original digital master, not the dithered down CD version.

The original master is at least in 24 bit (CD is 16 bit) and usually have a higher sample rate, like 88.2k Hz or 96k Hz (CD is only 44.1k Hz).

Date: December 11, 2016 04:20

Rockman
....did it vibrate off and crash to da floor Kowalski??.....^^^^^^^

If my memory serves me correctly it had something to do with the electromagnet inside.

Date: December 11, 2016 04:44

48 kHz is completely enough for audible spectrum. 24 bit is another story, it would be great if 24/48 FLACs area available e.g. even for CD buyers on download. Vinyl can have nice distortion, can have that "analog" (RIAA) sound, but it is inferior to 24/48 digital audio.

Date: December 11, 2016 07:00

jumpingjackflash5
48 kHz is completely enough for audible spectrum. 24 bit is another story, it would be great if 24/48 FLACs area available e.g. even for CD buyers on download. Vinyl can have nice distortion, can have that "analog" (RIAA) sound, but it is inferior to 24/48 digital audio.

The thing is that many vinyl - if not most - use a hi-res digital master, ie 24-bit.

When I compare a 24-bit digital download to its vinyl version, the vinyl has always this lively thing and a warmness the digital downloads miss.

Date: December 11, 2016 15:44

It is clear that vinyl has its properties and benefits.

But in terms of fidelity it is for sure inferior to direct 24/48 digital recording, and probably also to the dithered and downsampled CD version from that master.

Mixing/mastering/compression is another story.

Date: December 12, 2016 02:19

Research finds MP3s make your music sound more depressing

New research has found that listening to music in low-quality digital formats can dampened its emotional impact.

According to a study by the Audio Engineering Library, MP3s can have a distinct effect on the “timbral and emotional characteristics” of the instruments involved.

Researchers compared responses to compressed and uncompressed music over ten emotional categories at several bit rates.

The results showed that MP3 compression tended to strengthen neutral and negative emotional characteristics of a song, which the study defines as “mysterious, shy, scary and sad”.

On the other hand, MP3s can dull positive emotional characteristics, such as “happy, romantic or calm”. However, they had no effect on songs that were categorised as “angry”.

The Audio Engineering Library suggest that the background noise added by low-quality compression could be what intensifies the negative emotions.

The research also found that some instruments are more affected by compression than others with trumpets the most prone to change and horns the least.

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2016 03:00

Interesting kowalski...another reason to avoid mp3's....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2016 11:16

kowalski
Research finds MP3s make your music sound more depressing

New research has found that listening to music in low-quality digital formats can dampened its emotional impact.

According to a study by the Audio Engineering Library, MP3s can have a distinct effect on the “timbral and emotional characteristics” of the instruments involved.

Researchers compared responses to compressed and uncompressed music over ten emotional categories at several bit rates.

The results showed that MP3 compression tended to strengthen neutral and negative emotional characteristics of a song, which the study defines as “mysterious, shy, scary and sad”.

On the other hand, MP3s can dull positive emotional characteristics, such as “happy, romantic or calm”. However, they had no effect on songs that were categorised as “angry”.

The Audio Engineering Library suggest that the background noise added by low-quality compression could be what intensifies the negative emotions.

The research also found that some instruments are more affected by compression than others with trumpets the most prone to change and horns the least.

[www.nme.com]

My reaction to that ?

No sh*t Sherlock confused smiley

They need "research " to realise that low res digital recordings are useless ?

And was it also some kind of revelation that the important factors with the playback of music aren't to do with "tight bass" , "stereo image" or all that other "HiFi" stuff.
What's important is show well the music communicates at an emotional level.

Lets put it like this . If live music had always sounded like a CD or an MP3 file ...the musical art form would never have been invented !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 12:12 by Spud.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 12, 2016 11:18

DandelionPowderman

That's my experience as well. The LF-albums is a good example indeed. You can crank Keith's album as well. BAL is a tad more brutal on the ears.

Apart from the volume being limited for technical reasons in vinyl, possibly the fact that it considered an audiophiles' niche reduces the companies demand to compromise quality for loudness, thus enables, in some cases, mastering with higher dynamic range.
The limitations of vinyl records sometimes require filtering out the extreme high and low frequencies, dictating a more delicate sound too.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home