Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

review in The Independent
Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: September 2, 2005 04:51

Reviewer gives ABB 5 stars. says if u cut out 4 songs it would be as good as anything the stones ever done.

Re: review in The Independent
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 2, 2005 07:19

andrew9148 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reviewer says if u cut out 4
> songs it would be as good as anything the stones
> ever done.
>
>

Ever?

Exile?
Banquet?
Bleed?
Sticky?
Aftermath?
Some Girls?

to name a few.

You can't be serious.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 2, 2005 07:26

you can be serious ,to many people living in the past.

john scialfa

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: September 2, 2005 08:05

thats why the fella says

go to [www.google.com.au] click on "news" type in "rolling stones" go down the page and read yourself.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 2, 2005 11:16

Here's the direct link:

[enjoyment.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 2, 2005 11:34

Pretty good review me finks:

Throughout the Nineties, we got used to hearing that the latest Stones album was rather better than one might expect, despite the likes of Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon ultimately being regarded as little more than audio fly-posters for the band's latest globe-girdling tour, each ekeing out the usual one or two decent tracks with acres of half-hearted filler.

So it's with a certain trepidation that I welcome A Bigger Bang as, yes, better than one might expect; a lot better, in fact - good enough to put on instead of reaching for the band's former glories again. Let's put it this way: if albums were still only 10 or 12 tracks long, and all the fat was trimmed from the 16 here, the result might well be fit to stand alongside Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Which is about as good as it gets.

The opening "Rough Justice" serves notice of their intentions with a classic Keith Richards raunch-riff in the vein of "Brown Sugar", while Jagger reflects on "animal attraction" with all the charm and elegance befitting a sixtysomething reprobate. "Once upon a time I was your little rooster," he leers, "now I'm just one of your cocksss!", drawing out the sibilant like a schoolboy sniggering at his own cheek. One's first reaction is amused exasperation, a weary shake of the head, but then you think, well, isn't that exactly what he's there for? The second time around, you're singing along, your inner schoolkid awakened.
A few tracks later, he's slaying you in a different way with the haunting new single "Streets of Love", which features Mick's most affecting delivery in decades, and a hum-along falsetto hook which, once under your skin, won't easily be dislodged. It's just one in a series of songs which characterise him as the regretful or reproachful victim of love, taken to the cleaners by women more devious and manipulative than himself, unlikely as that may seem. Meanwhile Keith has gone back to the basics which served him so well three or four decades ago, distilling the essence of rock'n'roll to just two or three judiciously chosen chords, played with his own distinctive swagger-sway panache. And, whether it's due to his getting through chemotherapy, or simply a desire to get back in the saddle after a longer-than-usual hiatus, Charlie's on storming form throughout A Bigger Bang, powering songs like "It Won't Take Long" and the irresistible funk-rock juggernaut "Rain Fall Down".

Mick also plays some sizzling slide-guitar licks on the hallucinatory blues "Back Of My Hand" ("I see dreams, I see visions/ Images I don't understand/ I see Goya's paranoias/ I can read it like the back of my hand"), and his blues-harp work there and on the political broadside "Sweet Neo Con" has bite and piquancy.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 2, 2005 11:48

the best bit (before Mr Gill loses his marbles) is this ...

"Let's put it this way: if albums were still only 10 or 12 tracks long, and all the fat was trimmed from the 16 here, the result might well be fit to stand alongside ..."

obviously he then should have said Tattoo You etc

but the point is, another person has made the 'cutting off the fat' / 'leaving off the unneeded filler' remark

why don't bands listen ???

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 2, 2005 11:50

backstreetboy Wrote:
> you can be serious ,to many people living in the
> past.
>
> john scialfa

Very right!!
I'm sick & tired of that 30 years ago crap, why compare just enjoy (or not, in that case play exile 24 hours a day and leave this board..)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2005 17:20

shedooby Wrote:
> I'm sick & tired of that 30 years ago crap.

I'm with ya' too. Give ABB 30 yaers and see if it's still good. I bet it is.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 2, 2005 18:24

What do you people want! this record ROCKS!!!! Its the "Exile" of the Ronnie Era!

I am PROUD to love this band...

The record not only ROCK AND ROLLS, it SWINGS!

JR

Posted by: jeroen starink ()
Date: September 2, 2005 18:30

Just enjoy the F;;;cd and enjoy!!! Its a good rocking cd and lets be merry we have a chance to see our guys this or next year. They have done their best and the record rocks!!
Quit screaming like old women. Enjoy a bottle and put on the f//// record.
enjoy!!

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:16

Tired to hear "don't live in the past". If an older album is better than the new one, it's better, and you can't change that.

Posted by: Disco Boy ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:02

The latest Uncut magazine gives ABB five stars as well.

I've only heard the single (a couple of times),and quite like it.

Will I buy the album proper..........don't know yet.

april fool
Posted by: jeroen starink ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:41

i agree with you, but im tired of all this women talk, critising. everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just be happy there are some new songs. bye
ps ofcourse some of the old albums are great, but the boys have still delivered !!

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 2, 2005 20:42

I totally agree with this review.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 2, 2005 23:01

In a year or two people will see this album as quite good but nowhere near SG, TY or even Voodoo. Sorry to say

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 2, 2005 23:11

We have 5 new good songs (the rest of ABB...well...). That´s maybe better than we expected from the Stones in 2005!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 2, 2005 23:21

Kyle,

nicely literate stuff. Appreciate the style, (a lot), BUT

On Rough Garbage (excuse my cheeky schoolboy humour), Jagger just sounds like a Pratt - and a non-convincing one at that. ('Hmmmm.....what rhymes with fox.....ahhh, I know, 'cocks'). Very drole, Sir Michael, go to the bottom of the class.

Likewise on SOL. Here's my (serious) take:

'The AWFUL Truth
Is AWFUL sad,
This AWFUL song
Is AWFUL Bad'

Great word, AWFUL, must use it more AWFTUN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-03 00:04 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 2, 2005 23:56

Typical reviews from the people who knows it all.....

Doeeeesnnnn'tttt soooouuuunnnnnddddd like Exileeeeee - Exillleeeee didddnnnn''''ttt ahveeee anyyyyyyy fillllllllllleeerrrrrrrrrrsssssss......blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.... scratching their smelly behind, driiiinnnkkkiiinnnggggg sssoooommmmeee beeerr.....

Goiiiinnnnnnggggg to the neighbor barrrr..... I caaaannnnn dooooo itttt muchhhh betttteeeeerrrrrrrr........ dreeeeaaaammmmmmiiiinnnnngggg abooouuutttt annnn allllbbbuuummmmm iinnnn the fuuuuuuuuttttuuuuuuurrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:10

Jimmie wrote : "In a year or two people will see this album as quite good but nowhere near SG, TY or even Voodoo. Sorry to say"

You can be sure only about your opinion. Do you think most of people will decide that Voodoo Lounge was better than ABB? I don't think so.

ABB is a marvellous album.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:14

At their age I would have been pleased to buy an album with Keith´s farts
and Ron´s burps. And we get - this!!!!!!!
I´m glad to see a distinct majority here both among old and new fans (maybe
slightly more enthusiasm among the newer friends... Which by no means is
the same as stating the older fans dont like it - cause they do; most of ´em!).

Posted by: Magnus L ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:16

country honk//

LOOOOOL smiling smiley smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-03 00:17 by Magnus L.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:57

A Bigger Bang outplays Vodoo Lounge big time!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 4, 2005 10:59

Four stone walls baby that wasn't my review - I just copied it to the thread so people didn't have to bother with the links.

"Great word, AWFUL, must use it more AWFTUN."
hahaha.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 4, 2005 14:00

No need for comparison, that's my opinion!
This album is up there with the best ones!
It's hard to say if they ever can produce albums like
Beggars, Let it ..., Sticky, Exile, Some but this one's really
what we needed to get from them!

I get chills down my left spine! Goosebumps and a thrill in my veins!

Play it loud, play it low it still hits ya!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 4, 2005 19:03

Thanks kyle, and I'm not worried about you any more!

For an album review it seemed to spend most time talking about the two tracks on the single.

Hey ho.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home