Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Happy Thanksgiving
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 24, 2016 18:40

Thankful for BV and all of the cool people on IORR!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 24, 2016 18:49

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, enjoy the day! <3

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 24, 2016 20:48

Safe travels and enjoy the day, southern cousins. Find some blessings and count 'em. (1. New Stones album...)

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 24, 2016 21:17

SomeTorontoGirl
Safe travels and enjoy the day, southern cousins. Find some blessings and count 'em. (1. New Stones album...)

Thanks T.O.G. I hope you and all good IORRers have a great day too and great weekend and an awesome holiday season and Happy New year and prosperous 2017 which hopefully will bring many more great Stones to all of us. Jagger bless us everyone!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 24, 2016 21:41

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Watching Havana Moon and the smiles on the audience's faces is enough to give thanks for!!

Thanks for the Rolling Stones smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2016 21:55

HankM
Thanks T.O.G. I hope you and all good IORRers have a great day too and great weekend and an awesome holiday season and Happy New year and prosperous 2017 which hopefully will bring many more great Stones to all of us. Jagger bless us everyone!

Waaaaaay ahead of ya. Canuck Thanksgiving is mid-Ocotber. But I will graciously accept leftover turkey. Mmmmmm, turkey sandwiches...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 24, 2016 22:07

One of my best memories from Thanksgiving in USA is from San Francisco Thursday November 23, 2006. I was on the tour and I was homesick. We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Norway, but I knew it was a great day for family and relationships, great food and memories.

I was in LA for the show there the day before, and Thursday morning I had the first flight out of LA for SF at 7am. I arrived into SFO at 8am. My favorite hotel in SF is The Palace Hotel, a place for presidents, there no place like it. So I checked in at 8:30am, and I had a plan. Thanksgiving celebration in SF.

Palace Hotel is hosting Thanksgiving Dinner buffet in their marvelous Garden Court restaurant at 7pm. It is sold out long time ago but as I am a guest of the hotel I am in for the dinner of course. At $98 it is a bargain, I will see later.

I walk SF all over including Haight-Ashbury, Fishermans Warf, The Embarkadero, Girardelli and all other favorite landmarks. I enjoy the sights of the sea lions and have a beer at the warf. I am reparing for the big dinner to come. Everything in SF is closed today. Even every McDonalds. This is strange for me, even the homeless are gone, there are just some tourists in the city, all the people who live in SF are gone late afternoon. It is dinner time. Family and friends.

I walk into the Carden Court by 7pm and get my table. The large ballroom is filled with well dressed families. It is like our own Christmas Eve meal which we have at 5pm on December 24 with all of our family. Everybody is nicely dressed. Large families with generations, old and young. On the table next to me there are fourteen kids and younger family members, and many adults, some old, some fathers, some mothers. The kids have great fun adding salt into the glass of their neighbor, probably a younger or older brother, sister or friend who get a surprise during their next sip of thieir soda.

I am told to take a look at the food and make plans. You can't taste everything. The room with the food is another ballroom next to the Palace Court. It is large, very, very large. I am dressed up like the rest of the people, and even if I am away from my family, I have sort of a family feel still tonight. I feel like being in a large wedding party. Invited as a remote friend.

I walk over to the food area 5-6 times. Tasting many types of fish, sushi, soups, fruit, bread, all sorts of food. I even taste half an inch of turkey, even if I haven't eaten meat since 1995. Well it is Thanksgiving and even if I am a man of principles it is still Thanksgiving. Must taste turkey on such a day.

The kids leave the tables fast, while the older generation stay for hours. I am still there. After two hours plus plus I feel like part of this big family event and I have forgot about the ups and downs of touring, and missing family. It has been one of my greatest experiences in USA, and I felt welcome by everyone there.

Leaving the Garden Court ballroom happy, I go for a rooftop drink at the Marriott close by - The Jukebox. There is a great sunset. A perfect day in-between two Stones shows is coming to an end.

Next day I take the whole day off walking San Francsico all over one more time. Then I fly on to Vancouver Canada in the evening for the final Stones show of that tour. And then home.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in USA!

Bjornulf

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 24, 2016 22:23

Great story Bjornulf thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 24, 2016 22:33

Our Canadian Thanksgiving is the same weekend as US Columbus Day. One thing I've noticed in the past few years is that there are Black Friday sales now in Canada, which is good for picking up things for Christmas! Our big sale day is Boxing Day which is the day after Christmas when there are long lineups everywhere.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 24, 2016 23:40

Happy Thanksgiving!

smileys with beer

Date: November 24, 2016 23:41

Have you got the turkey on, Hairball? grinning smiley

Date: November 24, 2016 23:43

Hairball
Happy Thanksgiving!

smileys with beer

Too funny!

Date: November 24, 2016 23:48

bv
One of my best memories from Thanksgiving in USA is from San Francisco Thursday November 23, 2006. I was on the tour and I was homesick. We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Norway, but I knew it was a great day for family and relationships, great food and memories.

I was in LA for the show there the day before, and Thursday morning I had the first flight out of LA for SF at 7am. I arrived into SFO at 8am. My favorite hotel in SF is The Palace Hotel, a place for presidents, there no place like it. So I checked in at 8:30am, and I had a plan. Thanksgiving celebration in SF.

Palace Hotel is hosting Thanksgiving Dinner buffet in their marvelous Garden Court restaurant at 7pm. It is sold out long time ago but as I am a guest of the hotel I am in for the dinner of course. At $98 it is a bargain, I will see later.

I walk SF all over including Haight-Ashbury, Fishermans Warf, The Embarkadero, Girardelli and all other favorite landmarks. I enjoy the sights of the sea lions and have a beer at the warf. I am reparing for the big dinner to come. Everything in SF is closed today. Even every McDonalds. This is strange for me, even the homeless are gone, there are just some tourists in the city, all the people who live in SF are gone late afternoon. It is dinner time. Family and friends.

I walk into the Carden Court by 7pm and get my table. The large ballroom is filled with well dressed families. It is like our own Christmas Eve meal which we have at 5pm on December 24 with all of our family. Everybody is nicely dressed. Large families with generations, old and young. On the table next to me there are fourteen kids and younger family members, and many adults, some old, some fathers, some mothers. The kids have great fun adding salt into the glass of their neighbor, probably a younger or older brother, sister or friend who get a surprise during their next sip of thieir soda.

I am told to take a look at the food and make plans. You can't taste everything. The room with the food is another ballroom next to the Palace Court. It is large, very, very large. I am dressed up like the rest of the people, and even if I am away from my family, I have sort of a family feel still tonight. I feel like being in a large wedding party. Invited as a remote friend.

I walk over to the food area 5-6 times. Tasting many types of fish, sushi, soups, fruit, bread, all sorts of food. I even taste half an inch of turkey, even if I haven't eaten meat since 1995. Well it is Thanksgiving and even if I am a man of principles it is still Thanksgiving. Must taste turkey on such a day.

The kids leave the tables fast, while the older generation stay for hours. I am still there. After two hours plus plus I feel like part of this big family event and I have forgot about the ups and downs of touring, and missing family. It has been one of my greatest experiences in USA, and I felt welcome by everyone there.

Leaving the Garden Court ballroom happy, I go for a rooftop drink at the Marriott close by - The Jukebox. There is a great sunset. A perfect day in-between two Stones shows is coming to an end.

Next day I take the whole day off walking San Francsico all over one more time. Then I fly on to Vancouver Canada in the evening for the final Stones show of that tour. And then home.

smiling smiley I enjoyed reading that story very much, it brings a smiledrinking smiley smileys with beer

Date: November 24, 2016 23:48

I had the turkey and the stuffing too

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: November 24, 2016 23:55

Enjoying my Tofurkey!

Thankful for many things, Stones included smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2016 23:57

Date: November 24, 2016 23:58

Date: November 24, 2016 23:58

SomeTorontoGirl
HankM
Thanks T.O.G. I hope you and all good IORRers have a great day too and great weekend and an awesome holiday season and Happy New year and prosperous 2017 which hopefully will bring many more great Stones to all of us.

Waaaaaay ahead of ya. Canuck Thanksgiving is mid-Ocotber. But I will graciously accept leftover turkey. Mmmmmm, turkey sandwiches...

I know... but still I hope you have a great day! and great weekend and an awesome holiday season and a Happy New year and prosperous 2017! It was fun today, one of my favorite movies was on TV, "Canadian Bacon", that movie cracks me up for so many reasons

We didn't do turkey this year, but how about some leftovers roast and fixings....
with some peach cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream (or whipped cream) for desert?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 25, 2016 06:58

bv

Great story...
And a great concert in Vancouver that night as well..

Happy Thanksgiving all..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home