Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

semi-OT: Soundbreaking - 8-part PBS Series on Audio/Sound/Recording Production & Engineering
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 10, 2016 15:29

Coming up next week in the US -- looks super! Full description of the inaugural episode -- which includes some discussion of the recording of "Start Me Up."
Episode One: The Recording Artist

Summary:
Soundbreaking begins where a recording does––at the intersection of inspiration and execution. There stands the enigmatic figure of the record producer, the person charged with the critical task of both realizing an artist’s vision and capturing it for posterity. Profiling some of the most accomplished and revered producers in the recording industry, Episode One offers a study in contrasting styles and approaches. In the process, The Recording Artist underscores the way in which any music recording is the product of a delicate and infinitely variable balance between man and machine.

Featured Stories:
- George Martin and his work with the Beatles at Abbey Road.
Interviews: Ringo Starr, George Martin, Brian Eno, Giles Martin, Rick Rubin, Tony Visconti
Songs: “Please Please Me,” “Yesterday”, “Eleanor Rigby”
- The story of Dr. Dre as the most influential producer in hip hop
Interviews: Questlove, Jimmy Iovine, RZA, Q Tip, Dr. Luke
- Rick Rubin’s revitalization of Johnny Cash’s career in the 1990s
Interviews: Rick Rubin, Johnny Cash (archive), Rosanne Cash, Tom Petty
Songs: “Rusty Cage”, “I Don’t Hurt Anymore”

Featured Songs:
1. Pride (In the name of love) – U2
2. Fame – David Bowie
3. One – Johnny Cash
4. Start Me Up – Rolling Stones
5. Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
6. My Happiness – Elvis Presley
7. That’s All Right – Elvis Presley
8. Shake, Rattle and Roll – Elvis Presley
9. Some Other Guy – The Beatles
10. Please Please Me – The Beatles
11. Yesterday – The Beatles
12. The Flight (from Psycho) – Bernard Hermann
13. Eleanor Rigby – The Beatles
14. Be My Baby Ronettes
15. To Know Him is to Love Him – The Teddy Bears
16. You’ve Lost That Lovin Feelin – Righteous Brothers
17. River Deep Mountain High – Tina Turner
18. Matthew and Sons – Cat Stevens
19. Father and Son – Cat Stevens
20. California – Joni Mitchell
21. Everyday People – Sly & The Family Stone
22. Thank You for Talking to Me Africa – Sly & The Family Stone
23. Family Affair – Sly & The Family Stone
24. It’s Like That Run DMC
25. Straight Outta Compton – NWA
26. Express Yourself – NWA
27. Nuthin’ But a G Thang – Dr. Dre (feat. Snoop Dogg)
28. Let Me Ride – Dr. Dre
29. Brass Monkey – Beastie Boys
30. Tenneesee Stud – Johnny Cash
31. I Never Picked Cotton – Johnny Cash
32. Rusty Cage – Soundgarden
33. Rusty Cage – Johnny Cash
34. I Don’t Hurt Anymore – Johnny Cash

Soundbreaking - Description of All Episodes Here
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 07:44 by swiss.

Re: semi-OT: Soundbreaking - New 8-part PBS Series!
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 10, 2016 16:50

Episode 8, the teaser picture. Never seen it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-10 16:54 by TooTough.

Date: November 11, 2016 10:10

TooTough
Episode 8, the teaser picture. Never seen it.

Brilliant photo -- I have seen but it's wonderful to see it again, and that it is being used for the promo -- thanks for sharing it smiling smiley

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 07:45 by swiss.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 11, 2016 14:21

Might this pic be from the collection of pics around the pool in Savannah, GA in 1965 when they played Statesboro, Georgia's Field House?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: November 11, 2016 15:55

stonesstein
Might this pic be from the collection of pics around the pool in Savannah, GA in 1965 when they played Statesboro, Georgia's Field House?

Yep.

Date: November 15, 2016 09:07

Did anyone watch the first episode? It kicked off with Sam Phillips and Elvis (et al.) The first 40 minutes or so, in my opinion, hung together, and was very compelling.

The next 5+ minutes seemed kind of fragmented when it went briefly into hip hop and Dr Dre, particularly. That segued into a a final semi-deep dive into Rick Rubin, touching very briefly on the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, and then more depth into Rubin working with Johnny Cash--who said he worked with Rick Rubin because he reminded Johnny of Sam Phillips--at which point the show swung upward again, rounding out the episode with Sam Phillips.

All in all I'd say maybe a solid B.

It felt like too much and too little at the same time crammed into one episode. Another way to put it is the topics and areas of focus were all interesting but quite broad and about a 1/2 inch deep, speeding from one topic, sound, band, artist, producer, soundbyte to the next.

Like, George Martin's influence was pretty much summed up by Eleanor Rigby and Yesterday...

Still, while not perfect, looking forward to other episodes!
-swiss

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2016 09:50

swiss
Brilliant photo -- I have seen but it's wonderful to see it again, and that it is being used for the promo -- thanks for sharing it smiling smiley
-swiss

By Bob Bonis, I believe?

Date: November 16, 2016 07:43

Episode 2 of Soundbreaking on PBS tonight - surprised there aren't more sound/audio production geeks on here. It's really pretty good!

Episode 2: Painting with Sound

The first 35 minutes or so focuses on the Beatles and Beach Boys recordings, productions, sound. Fantastic! Also a great opening segment on Les Paul as pioneer of multitracking.

“Painting with Sound” chronicles a watershed event in the history of music: the moment when the recording studio itself effectively became an instrument and gave rise to sounds that could never be reproduced live. Beginning with the advent of magnetic tape and multi-tracking technology, episode 2 charts the evolution of multi-track recording, and reveals how recording artists such as the Beatles, the Beach Boys and Pink Floyd used their imagination and ingenuity to transform the sound of popular music.

Featured Stories:

George Martin and the Beatles’ groundbreaking work in the recording studio changes pop music forever.
Interviews: George Martin, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Jeff Neck, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Brian Eno, Tom Petty, Rick Rubin, Tony Visconti, Nigel Godrich
Songs: “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Rain” “Tomorrow Never Knows”, “Within You Without You” “A Day in the Life”

Brian Wilson takes the Beach Boys to new heights with “Pet Sounds”
Interviews: Don Was, Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Paul McCartney
Songs: “Good Vibrations”, “God Only Knows”, “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”

Also in this episode:

Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Tusk, Roger Daltry talking about the Who, Elton John, etc.

The Eurythmics talk about recording their first album at home on a simple analog machine instead of in a big traditional studio setting.
Interviews: Dave Stewart, Annie Lennox
Songs: “Who’s That Girl”, “Love is a Stranger”

Beck, Bon Iver, St. Vincent, Tune-Yards, and Nigel Godrich, producer of Radiohead, talk about recording in the digital age.
Songs: “Loser,” by Beck “Bizness” by tUnE-yArDs, “Lotus Flower” and “Give up the Ghost” by Radiohead
Song List

1. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) – The Beatles
2. Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
3. Bodysnatchers – Radiohead
4. More than A Feeling – Boston
5. How High the Moon – Les Paul and Mary Ford
6. Daybreak Express – Duke Ellington
7. Saw Her Standing there – The Beatles
8. Rain – The Beatles
9. Gimme Some Lovin’ – Spencer Davis Group
10. Tomorrow Never Knows – The Beatles
11. Wouldn’t it Be Nice – The Beach Boys
12. Good Vibrations – The Beach Boys
13. God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
14. Within You Without You – The Beatles
15. A Day in the Life – The Beatles
16. Breathe (In the Air) – Pink Floyd
17. On the Run – Pink Floyd
18. Eclipse – Pink Floyd
19. Sweet Emotion – Aerosmith
20. Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac
21. Tusk – Fleetwood Mac
22. Who’s That Girl – Eurythmics
23. Love is a Stranger – Eurythmics
24. Loser – Beck
25. Flume – Bon Iver
26. Towers – Bon Iver
27. Bizness – tUnE-yArDs
28. Lotus Flower – Radiohead
29. Give up the Ghost – Radiohead

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 08:39 by swiss.

Re: semi-OT: Soundbreaking - 8-part PBS Series on Audio/Sound/Recording Production & Engineering
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 16, 2016 16:26

Good assessment of the first episode, swiss. I was surprised when I found out the episodes were only 60 minutes long and, watching the 1st one, when it was over, wished it had been a bit longer.

Unfortunately, I forgot about it last night and missed episode 2 which was one that I was hoping to see. Oh well, hopefully I'll remember tonight and get to see episode 3.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: semi-OT: Soundbreaking - 8-part PBS Series on Audio/Sound/Recording Production & Engineering
Date: November 17, 2016 14:18

mr_dja
Good assessment of the first episode, swiss. I was surprised when I found out the episodes were only 60 minutes long and, watching the 1st one, when it was over, wished it had been a bit longer.

Unfortunately, I forgot about it last night and missed episode 2 which was one that I was hoping to see. Oh well, hopefully I'll remember tonight and get to see episode 3.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Mr DJA,

So glad you appreciate it too! All the episodes can be streamed online for free (from the US, at least) - HERE.

Episode 2 is HERE. It is by far my favorite so far. When Episode 2 finished, I rewound it and watched again!(Episode 3, about singers, had a lot of potential, but falls short, in my opinion.)

The first 35 minutes of Ep 2 are deeper dives into the Beatles and Beach Boys, and particularly wonderful, tho, of course there could be an entire episode on just one song from either of these bands, for the geekiest of us!

The opening sequence is archival footage of Les Paul and a singer, wonderfully fun and illuminating. In a similar way that Episode 1 led in (and closed out) with Sam Phillips, touching on the rudiments of history without being heavy-handed about it, this episode's Les Paul segment functions similarly.

There's an amusing anecdote from Jeff Beck about how his Mom shaped his motivation around music, which also underscores a key theme of this Episode. Cool Duke Ellington clip--overseeing a live recording on wax of some pretty avante guard music for its time.

My theory is a funder/producer maybe indicated there needed to be more contemporary people added at the last minute, and as a result one short part (with St Vincent and Merrill Garbus) felt a bit bolted on. But that is sort of nitpicking. Again, the first 35 minutes in particular were extraordinary as well as parts with Roger Waters and David Gilmour, Fleetwood Mac, a top-rate parts featuring the Eurythmics, as well as Beck, Bon Iver, and Radiohead--although a bit short on depth. Like you, I could watch hours of such a show at the level of depth it goes into re: Beatles/Beach Boys.

Date: November 17, 2016 17:16

Thanks for the links, swiss! I know what I'll be watching at some point in the next couple of days!

Although I missed the first 15 minutes of ep. 3, I agree that, what I saw fell a bit short of the mark. As much as I can't stand the 'sound' of auto-tune it was interesting to hear its use discussed as an effect as opposed to a tool. Also interesting to hear the discussion/debate on tracking vocals live/complete or building the track piece by piece. Although I'm not familiar with the song, I really enjoyed the story told by Christina Agulera's producer about refusing to let her re-do a vocal track.

Looking forward to tonight's episode. Hope it's a good one!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 17, 2016 22:14

All in all I think this series has been fantastic.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 17, 2016 22:25

Really great program!
Here is a link for all the episodes:

[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: November 18, 2016 03:55

with sssoul
swiss
-swiss

By Bob Bonis, I believe?

Yes, that's a Bob Bonis. A print of same was on display of the Desert Trip photo experience gallery.

Date: November 18, 2016 05:36

Gaetzi
All in all I think this series has been fantastic.

Agreed!

mr_dja
Thanks for the links, swiss! I know what I'll be watching at some point in the next couple of days!

Although I missed the first 15 minutes of ep. 3, I agree that, what I saw fell a bit short of the mark. As much as I can't stand the 'sound' of auto-tune it was interesting to hear its use discussed as an effect as opposed to a tool. Also interesting to hear the discussion/debate on tracking vocals live/complete or building the track piece by piece. Although I'm not familiar with the song, I really enjoyed the story told by Christina Agulera's producer about refusing to let her re-do a vocal track.

Looking forward to tonight's episode. Hope it's a good one!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Mr DJA, yes! thank you for bringing up those parts--they were cool segments. I actually like Kanye West, and while not an avid fan, I didn't understand until this show his use of autotune on that album--intentionally removing the warmth and emotion from his singing, deliberately sounding non-emotional and robotic; also the origins on Cher's music.

I've heard other versions of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful," but the one featured in the show is SO affecting because it is so close to the emotional surface. It was interesting to hear her talk about it, that she did already know that vulnerability and imperfection were acceptable in (and a strength of) the "voice" of her songwriting, but took some work to believe that same imperfection and vulnerability is also in some way the best part of her literal singing voice. For younger generations, that would be a lesson--not so much older people, I don't think--but we're so increasingly fixated on the notion that invulnerability = strength, and the ability to perform the same way every time is synonymous with "perfection."

It's such a treat to have 8 nights straight of this show--but also raises the bar and makes me thirsty for more programs of this caliber smiling smiley

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 11:44 by swiss.

Date: November 18, 2016 08:48

Thanx for the tip Swiss. Been recording it; its fantastic

Date: November 18, 2016 11:45

Palace Revolution 2000

So glad you're digging, it PL2000! smiling smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 18, 2016 14:49

Great series so far. Really well done.

Date: November 18, 2016 16:14

swiss

It's such a treat to have 8 nights straight of this show--but also raises the bar and makes me thirsty for more programs of this caliber smiling smiley

-swiss

No doubt... I'm thinking that I may need to look into the DVD collection just to see if there are outtakes & bonus features that aren't being seen on tv. Not that I'm greedy, but, they're doing such a good job, I'm find myself around 10:55 each evening this week saying "is it over already"?

My wife and I have a birthday party to go to tonight but, I'm guardedly optimistic that, since it starts early, there's a good chance that I'll be home in time to catch all of tonight's episode on "The Beat"... I'm ready for it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 19, 2016 04:29

swiss
Palace Revolution 2000

I hate that I missed the first episode, and can't seem to find it again. But I am so glad you turned us on to this one Swiss.

Date: November 20, 2016 11:14

mr_dja
I'm thinking that I may need to look into the DVD collection just to see if there are outtakes & bonus features that aren't being seen on tv. Not that I'm greedy, but, they're doing such a good job, I'm find myself around 10:55 each evening this week saying "is it over already"?

Oh, that would be too cool - they are doing such a good job. I feel the same way when it's over.

mr_dja
My wife and I have a birthday party to go to tonight but, I'm guardedly optimistic that, since it starts early, there's a good chance that I'll be home in time to catch all of tonight's episode on "The Beat"... I'm ready for it!

Did you get to see it? After all the anticipation I missed it! Totally forgot. It's on at 4am, so I DVR'd it -- will watch tomorrow.

-swiss

Date: November 20, 2016 11:19

Palace Revolution 2000
swiss
Palace Revolution 2000

I hate that I missed the first episode, and can't seem to find it again. But I am so glad you turned us on to this one Swiss.

PalaceRev, here's Episode 1 smiling smiley

And the link to Episodes 1-8.

-swiss

Date: November 24, 2016 20:58

Found Weds. night episode about the recording medium, vinyl/cd/tape/downloading, the best so far. Wished they would have spent more time talking to mastering guru Robert Ludwig more. Love to see the full interview with him.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Date: November 24, 2016 21:19

Loved the episode with G Martin, B. Eno, and all the producers about the studio. The new medium; the new artform.
The whole concept that the Beatles pioneered of music that existed only from the studio.
Wish there was more devoted to Hip Hop/Rap.
Speaking of: doesn't Jimmy Iovine look bizarre these days? some kind of cartoon character.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home