Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones live in Italy
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: November 2, 2016 20:06

I am wonder, why the Stones didnĀ“t play in 1973, 1976, 1994 and 1998 not playing in Italy during their European Tours ?

Re: Rolling Stones live in Italy
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 2, 2016 21:05

The 1998 Milan show almost happened..

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 2, 2016 21:49

In 1976 they did two shows in neighbouring Yugoslavia...

Date: November 2, 2016 23:43

Nobody played in Italy in the 70's. I grew up there. It was the bane of our existance. It was two things. Up to early 70's bands still tried to come, but every show esp. in Rome turned into a riot. And in Italy in those years everything was political. The last show for a long time was Lou Reed. Zappa still came, and Roxy Music would sneak in and play cinemas. But basically Italy was off limits.
For us rockers it was always the rock films.
The second reason re. the Stones I'd say was minor: Prog Rock ruled. It was all Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, VanDerGraaf, and the major Italian bands were all prog. Still I have no doubt that any band would have sold out.
I remember reading about the first show of 73 Europe in Vienna, and some friends of mine were there. I mean we were all very young; you had to find a big brother or something to take you.

But then afterwards when all that subsided I was not in Italy anymore, and I recall seeing that Italy was still snubbed.Even So America got the Stones earlier.
Yes, they did come into Milano and Torino, but real Italy is further south.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 3, 2016 07:59

Palace Revolution 2000
Even So America got the Stones earlier.
Yes, they did come into Milano and Torino, but real Italy is further south.

They played in Naples in 1982 and in Rome in 1990.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 3, 2016 10:33

In Naples in '82 82000 people!

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: November 3, 2016 11:49

they did not come in 1995 because the turnout for the 1990 Italy shows was very bad. a second show in Turin was even cancelled, and "consolidated" into the first one.

Milan was on the cards in 1998 but was cancelled on show day because of Mick's laryngitis. it was not rescheduled in 1998 or 1999 because sales were, again, not that good.

they finally came back in 2003 (and 2006 and 2007).

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: November 3, 2016 12:10

I heard that, in 1995, there was a project of concert in Rome (Stadio Olimpico), but the deal had not been done with the promoter...

Posted by: marmass ()
Date: November 3, 2016 16:09

Dear Palace Revolution, real Italy is anywhere, North or South.What are you talking about?
Turin, Milan, Rome, Naples... At least 6/8 concert since 1982.
The last one at Circo Massimo in 2007 I think.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: November 3, 2016 16:27

Last one was in 2014 at Circo Massimo

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 3, 2016 16:33

1982:Turin 70000 x 2
1982:Naples 82000

1990:Rome 25000
1990:Rome 7000
1990:Turin 40000

2003:Milan 62000

2006:Milan 58000

2007:Rome 35000

2014:Rome 71000

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 3, 2016 16:59

Well, it's not completely true that nobody toured Italy, in the 70's.
Unfortunately, it's true that Italy was at top position in the promoters/bands balck-list.
Lou Reed has troubles in Rome, Santana and Led Zeppelin had troubles in Milan, not to talk about the Rolling Stones' case in Milan, in 1970.
If you wanted to see a rock concert you had to got top Zurich and/or Basel.
The first one to come back was Iggy Pop in 1979, at Milan's Palalido.
Soon after, we got McGuinn, Clarke and Hillam and John Cipollina and everything went smooth for all their concerts. In few months, Milan had Police, Talking Heads, the Blues Band, UK Subs, Madness, Motorhead, Bob Marley and many more I can hardly remember. More or less 5.000 attendance per concert. Patti Smith was the first who played in stadiums (Bologne and Florence) followed by a short tour by Lour Reed. In the meantime, we got some lovely shows in small venues like Milan's Rolling Stone (Alvin Lee & Mick Taylor, John Mayall with Mick Taylor), but it took two more years to the Rolling Stones to come back to Italy (Turin and Naples). It's wasn't the Rolling Stones to re-set Italy as a secure place to play, it's been Bruce Sprinsteen with his historical first Italian show in Milan (1985).

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 3, 2016 17:24

mailexile67
1982:Turin 70000 x 2
1982:Naples 82000

1990:Rome 25000
1990:Rome 7000
1990:Turin 40000

2003:Milan 62000

2006:Milan 58000

2007:Rome 35000

2014:Rome 71000

Second show in Turin in 1982 was not a full house

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 3, 2016 18:41

Stones in Stadio Olimpico Roma in 2007 was a very poorly attended. They turned the stage round to make it look good but even so...
Circo Massimo in 2014 looked a lot better attended from video. Trouble is the concert always clashes with dinner time lol

Date: November 3, 2016 20:05

1963luca0
Well, it's not completely true that nobody toured Italy, in the 70's.
Unfortunately, it's true that Italy was at top position in the promoters/bands balck-list.
Lou Reed has troubles in Rome, Santana and Led Zeppelin had troubles in Milan, not to talk about the Rolling Stones' case in Milan, in 1970.
If you wanted to see a rock concert you had to got top Zurich and/or Basel.
The first one to come back was Iggy Pop in 1979, at Milan's Palalido.
Soon after, we got McGuinn, Clarke and Hillam and John Cipollina and everything went smooth for all their concerts. In few months, Milan had Police, Talking Heads, the Blues Band, UK Subs, Madness, Motorhead, Bob Marley and many more I can hardly remember. More or less 5.000 attendance per concert. Patti Smith was the first who played in stadiums (Bologne and Florence) followed by a short tour by Lour Reed. In the meantime, we got some lovely shows in small venues like Milan's Rolling Stone (Alvin Lee & Mick Taylor, John Mayall with Mick Taylor), but it took two more years to the Rolling Stones to come back to Italy (Turin and Naples). It's wasn't the Rolling Stones to re-set Italy as a secure place to play, it's been Bruce Sprinsteen with his historical first Italian show in Milan (1985).
Well yeah Luca it is true. I was there. I was born there and grew up in Rome. And I was at every event that even smelled of a show. Yes I saw a good bit of shows but it was always a chore. And all the names you mention either were up north, or not even in Italy, or later on. Patti. Madness, Iggy..the OP was asking about the Stones. I was A huge Stonesfan and they just were not on the list in early to mid 70. I was at all the riots; every one of them; and I remember the statements by the acts; esp. the last ones saying they would not come to Rome anymore. I did see Deep Puprle, Faces, K Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Santana ( the best show I had seen for many years), Elton John, and Zappa, Zappa, Zappa, but then they all stopped.
To Marmass - I know there's been lots of shows in later years. I was at two of them in Rome not too long ago. And yes, it's a touchy thing to say, but in Rome or further south we were always a bit pissed off that Milano or Torino would get shows, and every one would say that it was just a bunch of people coming across the borders to the shows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home