Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Ron Wood reissue deluxe editions
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 31, 2016 16:55

tomcasagranda
I nagged Ronnie on Facebook / Twitter over this; I think the trouble with Neck, though, is the Roy Thomas Baker production.

I think Roy Thomas Baker got the gig on the back of the work he had just done with The Cars. It has that edgy, trebly New Wave-ish sound with drums to the fore that you can hear on Best Friend's Girl and Candy O.

any more news on the re-release of Ronnies two albums??
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 24, 2016 12:10

Yeah, i know the first 2 albums will be re-released around Jan 6,2017. wonder what other stuff will be on it.

Is there anyone who knows a bit more about this?

jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 12:11 by corriecas.

Re: any more news on the re-release of Ronnies two albums??
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 24, 2016 12:32

It doesn't look like there will be any other stuff on it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2016 14:24

Haha, I read the "two ronnies album" smoking smiley

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: December 24, 2016 14:46

Koen
I thought the same thing:
"That's good night from me"
"And good night from him"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 24, 2016 14:48

Koen

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 24, 2016 18:30

Before Mick Jagger puts out reissues of his widely available albums, I'd prefer an official release of his recordings with the band Red Devils from the early 90s.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 25, 2016 00:29

billwebster
Before Mick Jagger puts out reissues of his widely available albums, I'd prefer an official release of his recordings with the band Red Devils from the early 90s.

Me too - specifically a deluxe of Wandering Spirit.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 25, 2016 15:59

billwebster

Yeah. I may be the only one here, but the Jagger 1992 blues outtakes are better than B&L IMO.

Date: December 25, 2016 16:48

Monsoon Ragoon
billwebster

Yeah. I may be the only one here, but the Jagger 1992 blues outtakes are better than B&L IMO.

thumbs up

Date: December 25, 2016 16:54

TheflyingDutchman
Monsoon Ragoon
billwebster

thumbs up

Seriously? It's as white boy hard rock blues as it gets compared to B&L, imo.

Well, to each their own. It was a wise decision to do Wandering Spirit instead, imo. A very good album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 17:05

Red Devils Jagger blues lacks some passion. Techically perfect, which is a bit of the problem. Doesn't have a spark to it. Safe, a bit sterrile after a few listening. Perfunctory, yet lacks some passion, grit, and mennace. Blue and Lonesome is far superior in my opnion.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 25, 2016 17:08

Agreed! Appreciate the Jqagger will with Red Devils but B&L is superior. Love Ronnies solo work!!! Raucous!!!bar band perfection!!!

Date: December 25, 2016 18:07

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Monsoon Ragoon
billwebster

thumbs up

Sure, besides B&L is also a white boy blues album, with the exception of Jagger and to a lesser extend, Charlie Watts.
To my taste the playing on a song like "Wired all night" is more powerful and consistent guitar wise, and I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that Ron or Keith would be able to play the guitar like "Wandering Spirit in such a genuine way. . see the link below. Of course one could come up with the argument that the Stones are in their 7-tees, and cannot play like they were 30. But just to compare, listen to Segovia playing "Asturias" when he was 35, and then listen to his version when he was 70. Which version do you prefer? Being a Stones fan doesn't mean that you have to like them even now they are aged. And of course I'm pissed that Taylor is not on B&L. winking smiley

It's all matter of taste of course.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 25, 2016 18:31

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Monsoon Ragoon
billwebster

thumbs up

Sure, besides B&L is also a white boy blues album, with the exception of Jagger and to a lesser extend, Charlie Watts.
To my taste the playing on a song like "Wired all night" is more powerful and consistent guitar wise, and I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that Ron or Keith would be able to play the guitar like "Wandering Spirit in such a genuine way. . see the link below. Of course one could come up with the argument that the Stones are in their 7-tees, and cannot play like they were 30. But just to compare, listen to Segovia playing "Asturias" when he was 35, and then listen to his version when he was 70. Which version do you prefer? Being a Stones fan doesn't mean that you have to like them even now they are aged. And of course I'm pissed that Taylor is not on B&L. winking smiley

It's all matter of taste of course.

[www.youtube.com]

But you are one of the posters who were most critical of Taylor's playing with the Stones 2012-2014..

I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Rip. It's not the real thing for me. I don't think he would have improved Hoo Doo Blues.

Date: December 25, 2016 18:38

DandelionPowderman

But you are one of the posters who were most critical of Taylor's playing with the Stones 2012-2014..

That's correct. I do think that the Stones, and Taylor included are not the players they used to be. I won't take less than the early 7-tees. smiling smiley

Date: December 25, 2016 19:00

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

That's correct. I do think that the Stones, and Taylor included are not the players they used to be. I won't take less than the early 7-tees. smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 23:02

TheflyingDutchman
Monsoon Ragoon
billwebster

thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: December 26, 2016 01:05

Wrong thread but anyway, this sounds authentic to me. Blues with a feeling.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 26, 2016 02:26

TheflyingDutchman
Wrong thread but anyway, this sounds authentic to me. Blues with a feeling.

[www.youtube.com]

The Red Devils were a legit, young, American blues band. Mick was lucky to record with them (and vice versa) - surprised he didn't want to release this...hopefully with the success of B%L, he'll give it a second thought.
I grew up with Les Butler (harp and vocals for the Red Devils)in Santa Monica, CA, so my opinion might be a bit biased, but the entire Red Devils album recorded with Mick is better than B&L.

But yeah, maybe the wrong thread for this... thumbs up

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 26, 2016 08:18

Has anymore info become apparent as to what's on these reissues ?

Date: December 26, 2016 11:12

I got a little lost in a tree of quotes above, but I can't believe someone suggested that the guitarists on "Wandering Spirit" are playing the Blues more authentic than Ron and Keith on B&L. A ludicrous statement.

Date: December 26, 2016 11:51

Palace Revolution 2000
I got a little lost in a tree of quotes above, but I can't believe someone suggested that the guitarists on "Wandering Spirit" are playing the Blues more authentic than Ron and Keith on B&L. A ludicrous statement.

I was waiting for someone to notice smiling smiley

Date: December 26, 2016 12:57

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

It's just a discussion, there is no such thing as better when it comes to this kind of music. I feel that Jimmy Rip had both Keith and Wood in his pocket, but that's a personal opinion. If you're a Keith fan, no one can do it better than Keith. If you're a Ron Wood or Mick Taylor fan , etc etc. You can argue about technical and discipline though, and I believe that there are a lot of blues and rock fans that don't think that this is the most important skill a guitarist must have. I do think it's essential. Feeling once again: a matter of taste.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 13:03 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 26, 2016 13:36

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

It's just a discussion, there is no such thing as better when it comes to this kind of music. I feel that Jimmy Rip had both Keith and Wood in his pocket, but that's a personal opinion. If you're a Keith fan, no one can do it better than Keith. If you're a Ron Wood or Mick Taylor fan , etc etc. You can argue about technical and discipline though, and I believe that there are a lot of blues and rock fans that don't think that this is the most important skill a guitarist must have. I do think it's essential. Feeling once again: a matter of taste.

Sure, but what about the blues? Is the music format up for discussion as well?

Date: December 26, 2016 13:53

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

I love it. How do we define blues, a 12 bar progression, Chicago Blues, Delta Blues, Mississipi, or is blues just another word for feeling? The sky is the limit. smiling smiley

Date: December 26, 2016 15:07

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

I love it. How do we define blues, a 12 bar progression, Chicago Blues, Delta Blues, Mississipi, or is blues just another word for feeling? The sky is the limit. smiling smiley

Frank Simes, Brendan O'Brian and Jimmy Rip are doing more Andy McCoy-riffs than John Lee Hooker or Muddy Waters on Wandering Spirit.

Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't sound like authentic blues to me.

Some like Gary Moore or the Red Devils, and think they sound more authentic than BAL. I can't hear that, but more power to them.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 26, 2016 15:08

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Frank Simes, Brendan O'Brian and Jimmy Rip are doing more Andy McCoy-riffs than John Lee Hooker or Muddy Waters on Wandering Spirit.

Some like Gary Moore or the Red Devils, and think they sound more authentic than BAL. I can't hear that, but more power to them.

smileys with beerJeroen

Date: December 26, 2016 15:27

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

What do you actually want to tell me?

All the players you mention are inspired by trad blues, but give it a different angle. Let's get out of the Stones box: Listen to Limehouse Blues by Django, it is heavily influenced by Dixieland, also rooted in blues, then listen how George Benson gave it his interpretation, and next go to John McLaughlin doing it in the 9-tees. What does it tell you? I doubt our dialogue is suited for iorr.org.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 26, 2016 15:43

I always think George Benson diluted his talents, by concentrating on smooth soul jazz. His material with CTI was brilliant.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home