Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:11

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke
latebloomer
Thank you Hairball, lovely review. smiling smiley

My thoughts exactly!

Thank you and have fun tonight, Hairball. thumbs up

Thanks as well, Hairball!
Looking forward to your take on tonight..

You're all welcome - good times!
As for tonight- I can probably sum it all up in one word (or name): NEIL

winking smiley

Great to see you last night Hairball - I'm gonna try roaming tonight. Last night I got up to the front row section of the second seated section, this night I'll try closer smiling smiley

The show rocked even though getting out of there was a nightmare!!!!!

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:12

donnarq1
Front row pit...last minutesmiling smiley

whaaaat?!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:12

Librarian
Beast
Me, I'm waiting for reviews from people who were there to experience the performance live.

Quote of thread. smiling smiley

With great shows everyone will tell you they were there, but a bad one nobody talks. It is possible that those in attendance are too embarrassed to admit they paid hundreds of dollars to attend.
I'm sure after Saturday's show we will get some raving reviews.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:15

I wasnt expecting a miracle but this was just horrible. Uninspired flat and detached.

The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:15

At Desert Trip, the Rolling Stones gather no moss

By Mikael Wood
October 8, 2016

The way Mick Jagger sees it, he with the microphone gets to decide which festival he’s playing.

“It’s great to be here at Coachella!” the Rolling Stones frontman exclaimed minutes into his band’s headlining set Friday night — even though that’s not where he was.

The actual gig was Desert Trip, this weekend’s classic-rock mega-concert featuring the Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and other veteran acts on the same grassy expanse in Indio that hosts the more youth-attuned Coachella fest every year.

But maybe Oldchella, as it’s been jokingly called, felt insufficiently challenging to Jagger. At 73, he wanted to show he can still compete with pop stars and rappers one-third his age.

Mission accomplished.

Moving across the enormous Desert Trip stage in his signature style, Jagger led the Stones through a colorful, energetic two-hour performance that didn’t need fireworks to light up the crowd. (There were fireworks anyway.)

The band opened, as always, with “Start Me Up,” and within seconds Jagger was strutting his stuff down a long runway that jutted onto the floor — a device that Dylan, of course, had completely ignored earlier Friday evening.

While Jagger pranced and pouted, Keith Richards and Ron Wood slashed at their guitars, as bright and crusty through Desert Trip’s high-end sound system as they’ve ever been. Behind them, drummer Charlie Watts kept time with his usual taskmaster’s precision and the band’s touring members added vivid detail on horns, keys and backing vocals.

The set list hit the expected high points: “Tumbling Dice,” with lots of Southern-soul sax; “Honky Tonk Women,” recognizable to the audience by its cowbell intro alone; a taut “Miss You” that felt approximately 25% faster than on record; and “Sympathy for the Devil,” for which Jagger changed into a sparkly red jacket.

Midway through the show, Richards took the mic for two songs from the 1980s: an appealingly ragged “Slipping Away” and the hard-riffing “Little T&A.” The Stones reached back to that decade too for “Mixed Emotions” (from 1989’s “Steel Wheels”), which Jagger said they hadn’t performed in some time.

The band also did “Ride ’Em on Down,” one of the blues tunes it recently recorded for an album due in December.

In spite of Jagger’s aversion to being seen as a dinosaur, that proudly old-fashioned jam proved he knew what festival he was really playing. So did a slinking cover of “Come Together” by the Beatles and a very pretty “Wild Horses,” which was accompanied on a giant video screen by images from the Joshua Tree desert — a reminder, it seemed, of the group’s decades-old dalliance with the late Gram Parsons.

Then again, the Stones encored with two songs about refusing to accept an unwelcome reality: “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” with some local help from the USC Thornton Chamber Singers, and the inevitable “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

These guys are never gonna retire, are they?

[www.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 01:20 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:18

RipThisBone
Date: October 8, 2016 22:15

A few random thoughts of night 1 of weekend 1:

Roger Waters' gigantic screen is unbelievably amazing!!!eye popping smiley.

Thank you. I stopped reading afer this.

GIGANTIC SCREEN... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA thumbs down

LOL...you have something against gigantic screens? In stadiums and gigantic festivals where screens have been the norm for 30+ years?
Not sure what you're point is...maybe you haven't been to a concert in the last 30 years? winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:27

[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan Thrill With Iconic Songs at Desert Trip Night 1
Woodstock couldn't get the Beatles, the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan in 1969. That miracle lineup was an impossibility then and for most of the years since, until the producers of Coachella finally made a facsimile of that Sixties triumvirate real with this weekend's three-day Desert Trip festival in Southern California. On Friday, the Stones and Dylan began to deliver on the the possibilities of the festival's unprecedented musical summit with smoldering, explosive performances that played to their distinctive, long-established strengths.
The full weekend of artists – also including Paul McCartney and Neil Young on
Saturday, and the Who and Roger Waters on Sunday – is a gathering of historic headliners with rich catalogs of hits and groundbreaking work that has influenced several generations of music-makers. All the players at Desert Trip remain among the top live acts, despite time and age that have left many of their contemporaries behind.
"Tonight we're not going to do any age jokes or anything, OK? Welcome to the Palm Springs retirement home for gentle English musicians," Jagger joked early on of the fest that has been called "Oldchella" and worse. He was prepared to prove otherwise.
The Stones show began with "Start Me Up," the now completely predictable but never disappointing opening number. Guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood charged out first, slashing some pleasantly jagged riffs. Moving forcefully across the stage in ruby sneakers, Richards has white hair now while cutting the same figure of casual decadence.
They followed with "You Got Me Rocking," far from the band's most memorable rock tune, but effective in piling on the supercharged sounds: Keith blazing, Mick blowing harp, biting on the lyrics, frantically moving across the stage. Jagger's youthful presence was not cosmetic. He moved like an athlete to the far reaches of the catwalks, his voice possibly more powerful than ever as he led a set focused on classics and a handful of rarities.
Jagger spoke of the band's upcoming album of blues covers, which emerged unexpectedly while recording a collection of new songs, and the band dove into Jimmy Reed's "Ride 'Em on Down," which the young Rollin' Stones used to play in the early Sixties. The blues were their initial inspiration back in London, and it still turns up in surprising places, such as their grinding cover of the Beatles' "Come Together" on Friday.
A half-hour into the set, Jagger introduced the full band, then handed the mic to Richards, who tossed aside a cigarette to perform two songs, beginning with the regretful saloon ballad "Slipping Away." Guitars collided on "Little T&A," an early-Eighties rocker that teetered on the edge through jagged guitars, unscheduled feedback and the most ragged of vocals. Perfect.
From the same era was "Miss You," with Jagger back at the mic, strumming an electric guitar as Charlie Watts pounded a driving four-on-the-floor disco beat. Jagger raised the guitar into the air and danced toward crowd: "If you know how to party, say, 'Oh, yeah!'" Bassist Darryl Jones put his signature on the original Bill Wyman lick, and the band gave him room to stretch out.
The Stones set was short on special effects (other than some fireworks near the very end) and none were needed. Stripped down, the Stones are still a rock & roll band to be feared.

Date: October 9, 2016 01:27

sarahunwin
Hairball
MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke
latebloomer
Thank you Hairball, lovely review. smiling smiley

My thoughts exactly!

Thank you and have fun tonight, Hairball. thumbs up

Thanks as well, Hairball!
Looking forward to your take on tonight..

You're all welcome - good times!
As for tonight- I can probably sum it all up in one word (or name): NEIL

winking smiley

Great to see you last night Hairball - I'm gonna try roaming tonight. Last night I got up to the front row section of the second seated section, this night I'll try closer smiling smiley

The show rocked even though getting out of there was a nightmare!!!!!

Hi Sarah, it was great to see you as well!

Easy to roam around, and possibly even easier tonight - basically go down either side aisle towards front and enter inwards at any point. Most of the security were very casual. I wore my color coded lanyard/pass under my shirt as to not to be noticed, and an occasional security would barely look at my colored wristband, but never told me to get out of any section. Sometimes I was told to "please find your seat", and then I'd meander to the next section from there along with hundreds of other people standing and/or dancing in the aisles. It was a full on party atmosphere down there when the Stones were on, and sometimes close to being crazy packed and over crowded. About to jump on the shuttle for round two...I'll be on the lookout for you down front! thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:29

Hairball
RipThisBone

LOL...you have something against gigantic screens? In stadiums and gigantic festivals where screens have been the norm for 30+ years?
Not sure what you're point is...maybe you haven't been to a concert in the last 30 years? winking smiley

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Wrong. I have something against Roger Water and his big SCREEN and your opening words of your thread.

PS: I was at The Paradiso Club Gig 1995 in Amsterdam first row, that's only 21 years ago.
Seen them a few times after that. Never saw Roger Waters live with his GIGANTIC SCREEN. Only on TV. Boring.thumbs down

Edit: Enjoy THE BIG SCREEN Hairball smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 01:35 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:29

I'm on the shuttle headed back for a little more rock-n-roll!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:36

Easy to roam around, and possibly even easier tonight - basically go down either side aisle towards front and enter inwards at any point. Most of the security were very casual. I wore my color coded lanyard/pass under my shirt as to not to be noticed, and an occasional security would barely look at my colored wristband, but never told me to get out of any section. Sometimes I was told to "please find your seat", and then I'd meander to the next section from there along with hundreds of other people standing and/or dancing in the aisles. It was a full on party atmosphere down there when the Stones were on, and sometimes close to being crazy packed and over crowded. About to jump on the shuttle for round two...I'll be on the lookout for you down front! thumbs up[/quote]

Enjoy Neil tonight, Hairball! Looking at some setlists from the past few weeks, I suspect you're going to get a few new songs. Will hope for the best on that front for you. I'm not super keen on "Indian Giver" but maybe it will be better live. I kind of suspect you are going to get a Neil appearance with Paul for "Day in the Life". Both Neil & Paul seem to enjoy the occasional cameo. Paul certainly seems to be in the spirit of the thing. I saw him in March & it was a fun show. We got Krist Novoselic for a rousing "Helter Skelter" here at the encore. It was pretty cool as Krist is a good guy & keeps a relatively low profile. Have fun! smileys with beer

Date: October 9, 2016 01:40

RipThisBone
Hairball
RipThisBone

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Wrong. I have something against Roger Water and his big SCREEN and your opening words of your thread.

PS: I was at The Paradiso Club Gig 1995 in Amsterdam first row, that's only 21 years ago.
Seen them a few times after that. Never saw Roger Waters live with his GIGANTIC SCREEN. Only on TV. Boring.thumbs down

Roger Waters did not play last night - he plays tomorrow.
It's his gigantic screen that is being used for all bands at Desert Trip - Dylan and the Stones last night, Neil and Paul tonight, and finally the Who and Roger Waters tomorrow night.
Perhaps if you read beyond the first sentence that would have been more clear!

As a reply to your ps - I was at the Vredenburg theater show in 2003 front row which was only 13 years ago. winking smiley

Date: October 9, 2016 01:44

crholmstrom
Hairball

Easy to roam around, and possibly even easier tonight - basically go down either side aisle towards front and enter inwards at any point. Most of the security were very casual. I wore my color coded lanyard/pass under my shirt as to not to be noticed, and an occasional security would barely look at my colored wristband, but never told me to get out of any section. Sometimes I was told to "please find your seat", and then I'd meander to the next section from there along with hundreds of other people standing and/or dancing in the aisles. It was a full on party atmosphere down there when the Stones were on, and sometimes close to being crazy packed and over crowded. About to jump on the shuttle for round two...I'll be on the lookout for you down front!
Enjoy Neil tonight, Hairball! Looking at some setlists from the past few weeks, I suspect you're going to get a few new songs. Will hope for the best on that front for you. I'm not super keen on "Indian Giver" but maybe it will be better live. I kind of suspect you are going to get a Neil appearance with Paul for "Day in the Life". Both Neil & Paul seem to enjoy the occasional cameo. Paul certainly seems to be in the spirit of the thing. I saw him in March & it was a fun show. We got Krist Novoselic for a rousing "Helter Skelter" here at the encore. It was pretty cool as Krist is a good guy & keeps a relatively low profile. Have fun! smileys with beer

Fixed your post crholmstrom as the quoting system messed it up for you,
Thanks- I'll enjoy, wish you could be here...headed out the door right about now!

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:49

So I listened to the Keith solo in Sympathy For The Devil as posted above, and I can't see the problem many here have with it.

But I can see why the Stones don't go out of their way to cater to the "hardcore" margin of their fan base -- because they could never do right, never play the perfect enough list of songs, and never play said songs well enough.

In the case of the fan forum environment, "hardcore" may just as well translate to "hardcase" -- like a hoard of rabid Broadway theater critics eager to close down a show after opening night.

Posted by: SlippingAway ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:53

I hope someone recorded the audio of BANFFBOY's Periscope winking smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 9, 2016 01:54

Happy to see them play Mixed Emotions!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:03

Well, I'm still periscoped jazzed. It was pretty fun for me last night.
In celebration token appreciation karma success vibes for next Friday the 14th as delightful and available,
I've now purchased about $120. in Desert storms
California Sunsets! New Gold/ slashed w/ minor fushia stripes Palm trees RS
merchandize.
smoking smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:03

MisterDDDD

[www.rollingstone.com]

That's the quote of the day from the above article:

"Stripped down, the Stones are still a rock & roll band to be feared."

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up grinning smiley thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:12

waterrats
MisterDDDD

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yes! thumbs up

Date: October 9, 2016 02:32

stone66
So I listened to the Keith solo in Sympathy For The Devil as posted above, and I can't see the problem many here have with it.

But I can see why the Stones don't go out of their way to cater to the "hardcore" margin of their fan base -- because they could never do right, never play the perfect enough list of songs, and never play said songs well enough.

In the case of the fan forum environment, "hardcore" may just as well translate to "hardcase" -- like a hoard of rabid Broadway theater critics eager to close down a show after opening night.

thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:41

Cristiano Radtke
waterrats
MisterDDDD

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yes! thumbs up

That jumped out at me too when reading that review. Go Stones, yeah! thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:50

Cristiano Radtke
waterrats
MisterDDDD

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yes! thumbs up
Well yeah, I *DO* fear the next cringe-worthy bum note that Keith or Ronnie might hit. grinning smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 9, 2016 02:50

Beast
Cristiano Radtke
waterrats
MisterDDDD

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yes! thumbs up

That jumped out at me too when reading that review. Go Stones, yeah! thumbs up

Yes alright! Are we some lucky bunch of fans OR WHAT!??! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 9, 2016 04:11

You know, we now live in the information age. But sadly, and sometimes scarily we also live in the disinformation age. It's sometimes hard to distinguish the information from the disinformation. For example, I watched the movie Interstellar, and it was boring crap. It was so bad I didn't care about the outcome of the story. After I saw it, I didn't even mull it over in my mind, I pretty much forgot it by the next day. So I go onto the IMDB and to my shock the first 10 or 15 user reviews said that it was the best science fiction movie ever and gave it a 10/10. Only after getting trough the first 15 reviews did you start to read real and balanced reviews. Many of these reviewers agreed with me and said that the movie was compete and total crap.

So, what's the conclusion? The conclusion is that money has corrupted the user reviews on the IMDB and starving writers in India are paid to spam the IMDB with fake glowing reviews just to get a bigger box office draw during the typical two-week theatrical run. You have to wade through the crap to find the real user reviews, and that is a crying shame. Just about anything can be corrupted. Typically, the fist day a movie is released the IMDB gets flooded with a bunch of fake positive reviews. Next door there are people in boiler rooms calling Canada and the US telling you that you haven't paid your taxes and there is a virus on your computer.

So, relating it to this discussion, it is a bit of a pain for being slammed down by giving your impression of the performance, even if you only watched YouTube clips. Clearly, this was not a great performance and yet you have fanboys giving glowing 10/10 reviews, which is fine. But when the fanboys bash the people that were not so impressed, that's not so fine.

The "real" Rolling Stones is watching them perform Brown Sugar in Ladies and Gentlemen. It's on a whole other level. There are many other examples. The "decent" older Rolling Stones is the Newark concert from late 2012. There was still a sense of the greatness, and it was so nice to see them back and really trying after another long hiatus. But sadly, last night was neither "real" or "decent," it was going-through-the-motions poor.

If some people loved it and thought it was fantastic, fine. But we also need to listen to those that didn't like it. I did not even watch SFTD but from what I am reading, I probably shouldn't watch it.

As far as the professional reviews that were posted here goes, I read them and I am getting a strong sense of disingenuousness. It's like they don't want to say anything negative because they don't want to upset the money apple cart associated with the whole event, and they are going soft on the Stones because now they are really old for a rock and roll band.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 9, 2016 04:23

Not Newark, Glastonbury. And every internet board has a contingent that gets bent out of shape that everyone doesn't like what they do, that thinks that being critical is not being a fan.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 9, 2016 04:25

There's always things to criticize about the Stones and last nights concert was not their best ever by any means. But it's also sound to see things in perspective, IMO people will still talk about the Stones in 1000 years from now on, so I feel very lucky to been alive during the 60 years on earth they were active. When the Stones are gone, is it gonna feel good remembering how we spent their last active years whining about all sorts of things, or do we want to remember these last years as a time when we enjoyed still being able to see them live?...

Date: October 9, 2016 04:40

DeanGoodman
MisterDDDD
Loved the setlist from last night!
Both of Keith's songs and Come Together being the standout surprises for me. I'm going next weekend (*Just scored a pit ticket for $389 on stubhub!!)and am hopeful there are perhaps even one or two more or different surprises.
Gotta think they'll up the ante a bit...

Good job! It's pit or nothing at this thing, I am afraid. Pit is very intimate and relaxed. It feels like a private show for a few thousand people. Everything else at the venue is a waste of time. I strongly urge people to upgrade.

So Dean you aren't there/ no reviews?

Date: October 9, 2016 04:57

35love
stone66

thumbs up
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 05:08

MileHigh
You know, we now live in the information age. But sadly, and sometimes scarily we also live in the disinformation age. It's sometimes hard to distinguish the information from the disinformation. For example, I watched the movie Interstellar, and it was boring crap. It was so bad I didn't care about the outcome of the story. After I saw it, I didn't even mull it over in my mind, I pretty much forgot it by the next day. So I go onto the IMDB and to my shock the first 10 or 15 user reviews said that it was the best science fiction movie ever and gave it a 10/10. Only after getting trough the first 15 reviews did you start to read real and balanced reviews. Many of these reviewers agreed with me and said that the movie was compete and total crap.

So, what's the conclusion? The conclusion is that money has corrupted the user reviews on the IMDB and starving writers in India are paid to spam the IMDB with fake glowing reviews just to get a bigger box office draw during the typical two-week theatrical run. You have to wade through the crap to find the real user reviews, and that is a crying shame. Just about anything can be corrupted. Typically, the fist day a movie is released the IMDB gets flooded with a bunch of fake positive reviews. Next door there are people in boiler rooms calling Canada and the US telling you that you haven't paid your taxes and there is a virus on your computer.

So, relating it to this discussion, it is a bit of a pain for being slammed down by giving your impression of the performance, even if you only watched YouTube clips. Clearly, this was not a great performance and yet you have fanboys giving glowing 10/10 reviews, which is fine. But when the fanboys bash the people that were not so impressed, that's not so fine.

The "real" Rolling Stones is watching them perform Brown Sugar in Ladies and Gentlemen. It's on a whole other level. There are many other examples. The "decent" older Rolling Stones is the Newark concert from late 2012. There was still a sense of the greatness, and it was so nice to see them back and really trying after another long hiatus. But sadly, last night was neither "real" or "decent," it was going-through-the-motions poor.

If some people loved it and thought it was fantastic, fine. But we also need to listen to those that didn't like it. I did not even watch SFTD but from what I am reading, I probably shouldn't watch it.

As far as the professional reviews that were posted here goes, I read them and I am getting a strong sense of disingenuousness. It's like they don't want to say anything negative because they don't want to upset the money apple cart associated with the whole event, and they are going soft on the Stones because now they are really old for a rock and roll band.
Look, I HATE posting negative reviews of the clips I watch. They're still my favorite band and I also factor their age and health into my opinions...but sometimes, bad is just bad, and I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 9, 2016 06:36

Nothing wrong with CT , just kinda pointless.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home