Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones Have Become a Pay Per View Reality Show
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 30, 2016 11:08

LukeTheDrifter
This just reflects the fact that the Stones haven't been musically relevant since 1983.

I hate when people say this sort of thing. Yes, the Stones output slowed down quite a bit and nothing they've done is as spectacular as the Big Four era, but still they've continued to grace us with some very good music over the years.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:21

HonkeyTonkFlash
LukeTheDrifter
This just reflects the fact that the Stones haven't been musically relevant since 1983.

I hate when people say this sort of thing. Yes, the Stones output slowed down quite a bit and nothing they've done is as spectacular as the Big Four era, but still they've continued to grace us with some very good music over the years.

thumbs up
smileys with beer

They gave us a lot of very good songs post 1983. Just listen.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:31

2120Wolf
The Stones have become a pay per view reality show...It is like every move they make is available on Blu-Ray...DVD...Mobile Viewing....Biggest Bang...Shine a Light...Sweet Summer Sun...Stripped...Totaly Stripped....Ole Ole...Havana Moon...Old shows and documentaries are great...But this last batch of repetitive nonsense is a joke... They are still great live...I still catch them when I can.
I understand that not everyone is able or can afford to see them live...but to me it is overkill. Do you feel the same way or are you sucked into the Commercial Hype ???

Yes their contemporary live products are repetitive and reflect their deeply conservative setlists since 2012. They haven't helped themselves with the decade-long gap in making any new music. There's quite an odd paradox at work here - some people seem to think that by releasing DVDs of shows such as Cuba, they're demonstrating relevance but the flipside is that the concert itself is 99% old tunes. I don't expect a 30 song show filled with 20 new hits but the sky won't fall in if they skipped JJF and BS for a few shows.

Then we have the end-of-career blues covers album with the usual hired guns eye rolling smiley That "keeping it real" stuff plays well in some quarters but for me it's just reinventing the wheel. I'm almost surprised they didn't do an own-covers album where the band "reinterpreted their classic works".

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 30, 2016 13:54

HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash
LukeTheDrifter

thumbs up
smileys with beer

They gave us a lot of very good songs post 1983. Just listen.

Every Stones album has something of value to offer, all the way up to A Bigger Bang. And as recently as 2012, Doom and Gloom and One More Shot were good tunes. The only reason they seem less relevant is that they got older and no longer had huge appeal to the younger demographic who purchases the most new music.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 14:55

You are right. The Stones nowadays appeal mostly to 40+ of age people. Long time fans who moan about everything they do since I dont know when. Some moan for 40 years now. I wonder why they are not looking for another favorite band instead of complaining about the musical decline, MT´s departure, Bill´s departure, Keith´ fading skills and on and on.

Now they moan about the Havana-release, their first live-release since 2013. Two releases within three years, is that really too much? The concert was an historic event, it´s release is logical although it adds not much new. I would have prefered SF-live but sometimes you cant always get what you want it seems.

Doom And Gloom in 2012 was a very powerful sign of life, I wasn´t so excited about a new single since the release of Highwire.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:47

The sun never sets on the British Empire but the sun is setting on the Rolling Stones. Is there full 35mm film footage of the 1973 tour that can be mated with a soundboard? That's the Holy Grail. smiling smiley

They peaked at Glastonbury, that was the last of many peaks, and we are coasting downhill now.

Posted by: azizahans ()
Date: September 30, 2016 18:20

To me the Stones are still the best export of the British Empire (Is there a British Empire??) The Holy Grail to me would not include Mick Taylor. I think Havanna Moon is realy a good release (Even with the same setlist as since 1973).
Hans

Date: September 30, 2016 18:27

<(Is there a British Empire??>

Ask the Queen of Australia winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home