Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Nick Cave - 'One More Time With Feeling' Film & New Album 'Skeleton Tree'
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 9, 2016 02:03

Just got back from Nick Cave's latest documentary/film 'One More Time With Feeling', ahead of tomorrow's release of 'Skeleton Tree'.

A poignant, fragile and beautiful look into tragedy and the validity of art. Nick and Tony Wilson took a very genuine approach to a subject matter that had, until this point, been discussed solely through the press. Warren Ellis was given the credit he deserves from Nick, his orchestral strings are beautiful on the new tracks.

At the same time, I feel like this film's greatest asset is already outdated; the present is far more powerful than the past, and I reckon this will be quite a strange watch a few years down the road for Cave fans - as if peering into an era and subject matter that should be forgotten about as quickly as possible.

Anyone else catch this?

Re: OT: Nick Cave - 'One More Time With Feeling' Film & New Album 'Skeleton Tree'
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2016 03:39

The album is a stunner

Re: OT: Nick Cave - 'One More Time With Feeling' Film & New Album 'Skeleton Tree'
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 9, 2016 03:43

crholmstrom
The album is a stunner

Indeed it is. I haven't watch the film (and I'm not sure if it will be screened where I live) but a friend went to see it today in Holland. She's still mesmerized about it, that's what she wrote me some minutes ago.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 9, 2016 04:59

I've listened to a few tracks and I think I'll get the CD, but it's too raw to listen to very often. It's brilliant but also deeply sad. But maybe the whole album isn't like that.

Date: September 9, 2016 10:02

latebloomer
I've listened to a few tracks and I think I'll get the CD, but it's too raw to listen to very often. It's brilliant but also deeply sad. But maybe the whole album isn't like that.

The whole album is sad. Given what's been going on with Nick's life, I think its to be expected. I'm actually surprised he's put one out this quick. Hoping for a tour.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 9, 2016 12:58

I find Everything around and with Nick Cave very fascinating but not his Music....sounds dead in my ears...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 9, 2016 14:37

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 9, 2016 16:04

Nick Cave is a great writer and performer, I attended several Nick cave and The Bad Seeds concerts over the years in Amsterdam and Grinderman in Groningen, and yes I will get the new vinyl.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 9, 2016 23:26

... an era and subject matter that should be forgotten about as quickly as possible.

Hi Bastion, just very curious (not trying to start an argument) about your statement. Why should it be forgotten?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 10, 2016 00:30

parislocksmith
... an era and subject matter that should be forgotten about as quickly as possible.

Hi Bastion, just very curious (not trying to start an argument) about your statement. Why should it be forgotten?

Well for me, this tragedy is interesting if only because of how recent it is. Having given the album more than a dozen listens, it stands as a far more artistic statement on the subject than the documentary. As Nick said in the film, "the present is far more powerful than the past", and I would feel particularly uncomfortable giving this film another watch in a few years time.

At the minute, what happened to Nick has the potential to overshadow his entire career.

Date: September 11, 2016 16:54

Skeleton Tree is an album that touches me deeply because of the loss, the purity and fragility.

Date: September 12, 2016 12:48

runaway
Skeleton Tree is an album that touches me deeply because of the loss, the purity and fragility.
thumbs up

Date: September 12, 2016 16:17

crholmstrom
runaway
thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 13, 2016 17:41

[www.latimes.com]

Encore screening Wednesday in Long Beach.

Date: October 26, 2016 19:34

Nick Cave has just announced a North America and Australia/New Zealand tour:

[www.nickcave.com]

Date: October 26, 2016 20:04

Great to see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds go on tour

Posted by: dennisdster ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:35

Their last tour was just incredible; the show they played at the Spreckels Theatre in San Diego was in my top five ever. Riveting, bombastic, absolutely stunning.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:46

Bastion
parislocksmith

Well for me, this tragedy is interesting if only because of how recent it is. Having given the album more than a dozen listens, it stands as a far more artistic statement on the subject than the documentary. As Nick said in the film, "the present is far more powerful than the past", and I would feel particularly uncomfortable giving this film another watch in a few years time.

At the minute, what happened to Nick has the potential to overshadow his entire career.

For him, though, I don't think the subject matter should be forgotten about as quickly as possible. Or ever, really (as if he even could). That would mean forgetting his son along with the tragedy of what happened to him. Luckily, I don't think this will be the lens by which decades of work will ultimately be judged, though.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:51

I saw a screening of this movie last night and, frankly, I'm at a loss for words to describe it.

It's difficult. I'm haunted by it today.

Thank you for introducing it to me through this thread.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:59

I saw the film and have become a big Cave fan over the past several years (I have seen him a few times and have a ticket to see him again in Boston next year). It is a very intense, sad film - but really well done. Cave is one of the most intelligent, talented guys out there, and a stunning performer. See him if you can!

Date: December 3, 2016 05:20

I think I have every note he's ever recorded. And it's remarkable that this late in his career he is laying down such powerful work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home