Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith wrote Angie?
Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: September 9, 2016 07:46

The song "Angie" was played at Angela's wedding to her first husband, although the lyrics don't quite fit a wedding.

Date: September 9, 2016 08:39

chatoyancy
The song "Angie" was played at Angela's wedding to her first husband, although the lyrics don't quite fit a wedding.

By whom?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 9, 2016 12:52

Angie is one of those songs that can be either great or dreadful when done live - since we're speaking of it. Mick Taylor certainly did some beautiful solos on it in 1973, and Woody did a nice job in his early tenure...but the version from Leeds 1982, I cringe it at. Woody's solo is embarrassing there. More recent versions are just kind of OK. The Stripped and Live Licks versions are kind of nice though.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: September 14, 2016 10:59

The record "Angie" was played at Angela's wedding. I don't remember there being a live band. It was a beautiful day in England, the wedding was outdoors. Angela held a big bouquet of white flowers as Keith walked her down a garden aisle.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 14, 2016 15:02

I thought I recalled Bernard singing, but that must have been some other event.
Here's what Blue Lena has about the wedding:

From the Chicago Sun Times, Monday August 24th, Bill Zwecker's column:
Wedding Could Have Been Taxing for Two Stones "Seems the taxman was the culprit who kept Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts
from fellow Rolling Stones band member Keith Richards' daughter Angela's wedding last week in London.
Taxes, of course, were the reason the Stones canceled recent concert dates in Britain.
If Jagger or Watts had entered England for the Richards nuptials, it could have cost them a ton of cash.
Of course, the event still attracted a lot of rock 'n' roll royalty and other celebs.
Papa Keith and the Stones' Ron Wood were on hand (they don't face tax problems); Jerry Hall and Mick's kids
represented their clan, and supremodel Kate Moss showed, as did Marianne Faithfull, who termed the event "magical".
One intriguing note: Angela, Keith's daughter by Anita Pallenberg, walked down the aisle
to the strains of the Stones' hit, "Angie". Reportedly it caused more than a few snickers from guests.
While the name matched the bride's, it seemed inappropriate for a wedding. Its lyrics are about disatisfaction,
the absence of love and the death of dreams."

[members.tripod.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2016 19:05

I had the whole chord sequence down maybe a year ago with just the title Angie. It could have been Randy or Mangy or anything, you know, but Mick just picked up on the title and wrote a song around it. He added the strings - all the strings on the album are his idea. I don't know who chose it as a single. I think somebody said that it would make a change and that it would get a heavy reaction on AM stations. I'm really not interested in picking singles.
- Keith Richards, 1973

[timeisonourside.com]

I recall reading somewhere that no one in the Stones wanted Angie released as a single. Atlantic Records insisted on it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2016 21:01

with sssoul
If Jagger or Watts had entered England for the Richards nuptials, it could have cost them a ton of cash.

Is that because they have the tax agreement where they can only live in England so many days a year? I can see Mick being peripatetic, but Charlie? Does he still have a place in the South of France?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2016 10:24

I think that journalist was confused, 24FPS.
I mean: There are such tax situations, allowing one to spend only X days per year before taxes apply,
but it applies to all the Stones, not just Mick and Charlie, and I'm pretty sure the Wattses were UK residents at the time.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 16, 2016 12:28

24FPS
with sssoul

Is that because they have the tax agreement where they can only live in England so many days a year? I can see Mick being peripatetic, but Charlie? Does he still have a place in the South of France?

I'm not certain about this but I believe Charlie 'ended' his tax exile status in 1977, with Bill following in 1982.
Keith is obviously a resident of the States of America and I would imagine his UK stays are limited to 90 days a tax year (though there can be variables to this).
Ronnie seems to be based in the UK these days.
Mick...who knows?!

Yes, I believe Charlie still owns property in southern France.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 01:56

No matter the tax status, the schmaltz and sop status of Angie will never be in doubt.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home