Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

U.S - v,s - Europe
Date: August 28, 2005 10:38

The band do indeed sound fresh and vibrant from Fenway show. But by the time they get to europe next year, will we be short changed by a tired and sloppy outfit. Some held this view about licks tour.

Re: U.S - v,s - Europe
Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: August 28, 2005 10:40

To play Devil's advocate: They will have the songs down by then and will be more able to have fun and experiment.

Josh

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: August 28, 2005 12:10

They will have rehearsed other songs during soundchecks by then and play club shows.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 28, 2005 14:29

With a good break before the European leg of the tour, they are able to keep their verve and freshness on high level (Ronnie, stay sober!).
The only thing that will bothers me a bit, is the possibility of playing less than 19 songs in Europe every night.
B2B tour started in the USA with a set list of 24 songs. On the 6th show they played 2 less. During the last concerts of the european tour they were playing 21 songs every night (not a big difference). Licks tour started with 22 songs in the States and finished with 19 in Europe. ABB tour starts with 22 songs, less one on the third show, so?? Proportionately will we have lists of 18 on the european leg? Oh, boys no, not less than 19-20 please!!

From the other side, they were performing 15, 16 or 17 (maximum) songs on every gig of the early 70s tours. After 3 decades, at the age of 62 they play about 20 songs and do two hour (+) shows while new bands like White Stripes are saying the definitive "goodnight" after 70 -75 minutes only. Personaly i'am almost grateful...

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 28, 2005 22:23

Stickydion,

"From the other side.."

In English you would say "On the other hand....."

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 28, 2005 22:31

mmm no stickyd. you're right!!! I want 22 songs as well dammit! :-) The Stones are from Europe, they should give us all they have..

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 28, 2005 22:31

Tired and worn out by the time they come to Europe next summer? I don't think so. I have seen them on both sides of the Atlantic on every tour the past 16 years and I think they keep a high standard all the way. The crowd is approx. 10 years younger in Europe vs. USA/Canada and 25 years younger in South America so that is giving different shows of course. Usually a crowd that is making more noise...

Like in Hartford. More noise and more sing-along is good. Mick had a big grin on his face in Hartford as he came back from the long B-stage walk during You Can't Always Get What You Want. A smile you can remember for a long time if you have seen it. So genuine and so appreciating. The crowd is really feeding him. Why? The crowd... Just great.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NYCSTONESFREAK ()
Date: August 29, 2005 02:46

Who cares about Europe anyway....

Posted by: StonesLicks2002 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 09:42

And who cares about USA ?? They're only rehearsal for the really amazing coming shows. Go to Buenos Aires or Spain to see a really Rolling Stones show and then you will understand the meaning of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the whole world !!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: August 30, 2005 13:08

what a selfish comment from nycstonesfreak...no wonder people are pissed off with the yanks

Posted by: hi1 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 13:14

I saw The Stones in Hong Kong during the licks tour and they were completely refreshed. Great concert, great moment. It was their last concert of the Licks tour. SO wherever they are, they are just wonderful to see, hear and sing along.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 30, 2005 13:14

It is very hard to say that they will be worn out by the time the European leg begins. But it's hard to refresh yourself when things get normal and it's becoming like a nine to five job. In one interview Jagger said yeears ago: There are days coming that you would like to pack the tour in a book and send it to my mum to finish it.
I think during Licks we had very nice highlights in Europe, I did not like BtB so my judgement would be disastrous anyway. I liked Urban Jungle because it was different from Stee Wheels.
I think it depends on how the Stones and the whole group and staff copes with the travelling and there we all know that you're not always in a good mood.
But I am sure it will be outstanding next year

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 30, 2005 13:16

Yup terry,

An odd thing for him/her/it to say on a European fansite!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 30, 2005 13:37

Can't agree with you, Bjornulf. Although the European dates were still high standart, I must admit that they usually (since 1975/1976) did not match the even higher standarts of their US counterparts. Less adventurous setlists, less energetic performances, sometimes even lesser number of songs. It probably has something to do with the fact that once they reach Europe after one year of touring already, they usually are on autopilot. Europe 1976 was pale compared to the TOTA 1975. Same with Europe 1982 compared to USA 1981. Urban Jungle 1990 - still great, but not as great as Steel Wheels 1989. And so on. I have seen them on both sides of the Atlantic since 1975 and this is my impression. There wasn't even a European Tour in 1979, not to speak of a European counterpart to the No Security arena tour early 1999.Even the setlists of the 2003 European club shows were quite predictable, let's say less adventurous than their US counterparts. We did not get Parachute Woman, Don't Look Back, She Smiled Sweetly, Heart Of Stone...

Date: August 30, 2005 14:34

retired_dog: My God, where did you saw the Stones in Europe??

In the Bridges to Babylon Tour they played "Paint It Black" at first time in Malaga, Spain. It was a nice surprise and the crowd was so wild that they stayed it for the rest of the tour.
Past Licks Tour they played in Europe songs like "Miss You", "Ruby Tuesday" and the absolutely amazing "Out Of Control" (only in Milano) and "Saint Of Me".

The Stones are amazing in everywhere they play. The only difference is the people who attend the shows, a lot of wild in some countries from Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy...).

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 30, 2005 15:14

BV-I'm surprised at the age difference in fans
between the continents. Wonder how one
would account for that?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2005 15:17

the higher ticket prices in the US make for an older audience as opposed to Europe where you get a lot of shows where most of the audience are standing and who are paying less money as a result

Plus in recent years the Stones have played some relatively new (for them) markets so there will be a lot of first-time fans at those shows..

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: August 30, 2005 15:39

They could play more than 20 songs if they play the songs shorter.

Date: August 30, 2005 15:51

StonesLicks2002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> retired_dog: My God, where did you saw the Stones
> in Europe??
>
> In the Bridges to Babylon Tour they played "Paint
> It Black" at first time in Malaga, Spain. It was a
> nice surprise and the crowd was so wild that they
> stayed it for the rest of the tour.
> Past Licks Tour they played in Europe songs like
> "Miss You", "Ruby Tuesday" and the absolutely
> amazing "Out Of Control" (only in Milano) and
> "Saint Of Me".
>
> The Stones are amazing in everywhere they play.
> The only difference is the people who attend the
> shows, a lot of wild in some countries from Europe
> (Spain, Portugal, Italy...).

Where did I see the Stones in Europe? Well, between 10 and 20 shows every, and I say EVERY time they came to Europe - 1976, 1982, 1990, 1995, Bridges/No Security Tour 1998-1999, Licks 2003... Besides that, you don't get the point. I'm not talking about certain songs (well, Miss You, what a killer, perfect piss-break song since at least 1994/1995), I'm talking about my general impression.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-30 15:52 by retired_dog.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 30, 2005 17:34

bv, I'm totally with you at this point (not for 16 years but at least 11). I always appreciate to see them in the US but tour really starts when they are doing South America or Europe. I remember Keith mentioned itself they like it more to play Europe than the US because of the crowd (I'm sure this one goes for S.A. too). Each show is like a club show in the US. Fans gathering and queing since early morning to get a spot in front of stage. Piss break during Keith songs? Having burger during the show? Just talking the whole show? Well, you will find this only for US shows! So if you like it, take it!

Miss You only played in Europe since 94? I really asked myself which shows some guys have seen in the US (at least they should study the setlists on iorr).

And than there were awesome club gigs in good old Europe. 2 great shows with awesome setlists in Paradiso 95, Brixton 95, Shepherds Bush 99, Cirkus Krone 2003 and some more.

Date: August 30, 2005 17:45

piss-break !!! yeah, what a Stones diehard fan !!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 30, 2005 17:50

In 1995 the premiere of Like a RS was made in Europe.
The small clubs we had that year were richer in terms of setlist originalities than what happened in the US
in 1998, the BtB brought some new songs to Europe too.
In 2003, some songs appeared in Europe that were not played too often in the US

What is right is that the shows are getting shorter after some time.

To answer stikydion :
If you compare the prices of the tickets of 17-song concerts in the 70ies and the ticket prices for a 21 or 22-song show, you'll see that the price-per-song has increased way more than the average wages.

There is no other answer to the US vs Europe question than "wait and see".

Still, I'm sure that we all think that a few more changes in the setlist of the current tour would be highly welcome, especially for the cities where they play 2 shows in the same venue.

Date: August 30, 2005 17:56

StonesLicks2002 Wrote:
> piss-break !!! yeah, what a Stones diehard fan !!
>
>

You should read properly between the lines, StonesLicks2002: I did not say I took a piss-break during Miss You since at least 1994/1995, I said it is the perfect piss-break song since then...
Any way, lotsa Stones fellas agree that a song that once was fabulous during the 1978-1981/82 and even sometimes during Steels Wheels/Urban Jungle degenerated into a Las Vegas-style tragedy since at least 1994/1995, boring the shit out of even the most die-hards, piss break or not.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:16

Pay $450 and you will get a great show as well.

My guess is the ticket prices will be lower and the stage, overhead and setlists will be trimmed.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2005 22:33

With these ticket prices, I'll piss in my pants!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 31, 2005 01:13

Steven Wrote:
> Pay $450 and you will get a great show as well.
>
>

only because next to no one who pays that amount is going to come out afterwards and admit that either a) it was shit, b) the view was bad for the money (many of these seats are obstructed view fer Chrissakes) and c) It was bad value.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home