Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Who's Ready For The Rio Olympics?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 13, 2016 03:54

DandelionPowderman
Handball now. Go, Norway!

Okay DP...you go there, with your handball thang. Some of the Olympic sports crack me up. grinning smiley

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 13, 2016 04:36

It is kind of interesting that not many Olympic "sports" translate in to useful life skills. Of course the underlying ability to set and reach goals is a valuable life skill, but the actual events... not so much.

Modern life does not usually require us to run swim lift jump rassl judo trampoline ballyball spear chuck etcetera... maybe they need to add some real life events like... uhm... typing, negotiating, finding pokemons, effective conversation to find a date...

but anyway... it is TRACK AND FIELD time!!!

Watching the best of the best running and how they make it look effortless, like they are jogging, while the guys behind them are trying to catch up flailing around running their guts out. The best always seem to make it look effortless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 04:42 by jambay.

Date: August 13, 2016 04:51

DANG!!! that 50 meter swimming dash is crazy! DIVE AND DASH!@

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 13, 2016 04:54

Enough swimming

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 13, 2016 07:58

jambay
It is kind of interesting that not many Olympic "sports" translate in to useful life skills. Of course the underlying ability to set and reach goals is a valuable life skill, but the actual events... not so much.

Modern life does not usually require us to run swim lift jump rassl judo trampoline ballyball spear chuck etcetera... maybe they need to add some real life events like... uhm... typing, negotiating, finding pokemons, effective conversation to find a date...

I get that you're making a joke but it is an event for sporting excellence... they are life-skills if that is what you do in life.
Maybe they should make an event for general life excellence and include those categories. Shouldn't be too difficult; there seems to be a competition relating to just about everything today. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2016 10:41

latebloomer
DandelionPowderman
Handball now. Go, Norway!

Okay DP...you go there, with your handball thang. Some of the Olympic sports crack me up. grinning smiley

Handball is a very big sport in Europe, parts of Asia and South America, Bloomer. Not in the United States though. Hence your reaction, maybe?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 13, 2016 10:55

Handball is an extremely important sport, and why?? Because it was the Argentine handball team who rescued Juan Martin del Potro when he was stuck in an elevator for forty minutes on Sunday! And now (unlike them, unfortunately) he has a shot at a medal! thumbs up

Date: August 13, 2016 12:54

I stand corrected and apologize, didn't mean to slight handball....my sarcastic sense of humor gets the better of me at times. The Olympic sports are all great, but I sometimes wonder if the next thing up is a Mobty Pyrhon silly walks competition. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 12:56 by latebloomer.

Date: August 13, 2016 13:14

You don't have to apologize, Bloomer. A sport that is very popular in one country may be considered exotic in another. And I don't think you meant anything more than a friendly hint to DP there...

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 13, 2016 14:19

The US Basketball Team is the only thing I'm interested on.
For the rest of the Olympics I couldn't care less.

Just my 2 cts

Date: August 13, 2016 14:28

The US basketball team is to dominating in that sport. The nerve is gone. The gold is already given. Although Argentina actually managed to win the gold in 2004.
And I still remember the classic game in 1972 when the Soviet Union won in the last second of the game!

Date: August 13, 2016 14:34

But I hear the point Phil Good makes here every now and then. Is it still so that Americans only care about the big three US sports (American Football, Baseball and Basketball)?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 13, 2016 15:42

Stoneage
But I hear the point Phil Good makes here every now and then. Is it still so that Americans only care about the big three US sports (American Football, Baseball and Basketball)?

Actually, it's just pretty much American football. LOL

In my part of the world (southern USA), college football is king. smileys with beer

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 13, 2016 18:47

Stoneage
The US basketball team is to dominating in that sport. The nerve is gone. The gold is already given. Although Argentina actually managed to win the gold in 2004.
And I still remember the classic game in 1972 when the Soviet Union won in the last second of the game!

Stoneage, I agree that it would be a big surprise if the US team would not get the gold.
But I too remember that game you mentioned against the Soviet Union. That was this kind of surprise.
And though I'm not interested in swimming, I noticed that superstar Michael Phelbs
did not win the last race. So ...

Have a nice weekend ya all.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:08

latebloomer
... The Olympic sports are all great, but I sometimes wonder if the next thing up is a Mobty Pyrhon silly walks competition. grinning smiley

No - it's going to be competitive Argument Clinic! winking smiley

Date: August 13, 2016 20:17

..."The 1912 Summer Olympics saw the introduction of art competitions at the Summer Olympics.[28] Events were implemented for literature, sculpture, painting, architecture and music.[132][133] Walter Winans won the gold medal for his sculpture, An American Trotter. ....."Baron Pierre de Coubertin, President of the IOC and founder of the modern Olympic movement,[135] won the gold medal for literature".

Date: August 13, 2016 20:52

I am really enjoying and interested in the track and field competitions today.

I have little to no interest in the basketball in the Olympics, why would I?

Date: August 13, 2016 20:56

SomeTorontoGirl
latebloomer
... The Olympic sports are all great, but I sometimes wonder if the next thing up is a Mobty Pyrhon silly walks competition. grinning smiley

No - it's going to be competitive Argument Clinic! winking smiley

There's a few contenders for the gold here at IORR. winking smiley

Date: August 13, 2016 21:16

Great beach Volleyball match going on between Germany and Switzerland right now.
Watching them fight for every points is amazing and fun! Never give up!! DIG DIG DIG!! drinking smiley

Date: August 13, 2016 22:44

It is too bad that they hired incompetent people to take care of the pools.

"oops, sorry I dumped hydrogen peroxide in the ppol making it stink and green"

These are the best athletes in the world and deserve the best facility possible.
Especially when it is pretty easy to keep a pool in perfect pristine condition.

Date: August 14, 2016 00:32

I find watching this 6 team members on the court indoor volleyball more entertaining than watching basketball. Seeing these players never give up on points... running, diving and giving it their all to make spectacular saves is thrilling. It is fun to watch.

Date: August 14, 2016 03:57

I should back track a bit and say NBC's coverage is not as bad as I imagined it was going to be.

The scheduling of late events being shown live is going pretty well.

After the opening ceremony debacle I ... was not optimistic.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 14, 2016 07:19

Stoneage

Yeah when 28 year old steroid taking Soviet pros beat 20 year old College players. I never understood why the commies were allowed to get away with stuff like that.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 14, 2016 07:21

jambay
It is too bad that they hired incompetent people to take care of the pools.

"oops, sorry I dumped hydrogen peroxide in the ppol making it stink and green"

These are the best athletes in the world and deserve the best facility possible.
Especially when it is pretty easy to keep a pool in perfect pristine condition.

It may turn out to be a happy accident. The divers say the dark water provides better contrast, makes it easier to judge distance. One of the announcers today said it might become standard practice.The water polo folks had problems with the chlorine used to combat the algae, or whatever the explanation du jour is.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 14, 2016 16:22

mr_dja
Apparently the US Women's Soccer team wasn't quite as ready for the games as they hoped. Bummer.

Congrats to Sweden for a good and well executed game plan leading them to victory.

Peace,
Mr DJA
They were more than ready, they just lacked the passion and desire. They certainly have the talent. Once you have won everything, what is really left to play for?

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 14, 2016 17:02

US woman's team has had some spoiled brats on it for a few years. Some of the gals are nice folks though like Tobin Heath: [en.wikipedia.org]

All should be as upstanding as her but they aren't; so good riddance to poor sportsmanship and celebrity players.

Sweden parked the bus and they beat USA; that's the way it happens.

To me, it looks like Germany has a good chance to win both the women's and men's gold medal.

But I'd love to see Canada or Sweden win the women's competition.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 14, 2016 18:42

Hope Solo was an absolute disgrace and the sorest loser, really? Did one hear what she said about the Swedish tema? I don't feel bad the USA went out at all and they are my team.

Date: August 14, 2016 19:09

BroomWagon
Hope Solo was an absolute disgrace and the sorest loser, really? Did one hear what she said about the Swedish tema? I don't feel bad the USA went out at all and they are my team.

She called them cowards, I think. And she tried a stunt before the last and deciding penalty kick. Suddenly she had to change gloves. The swedish player wasn't disturbed by her prank though and scored easily.
I can't help liking Ms Solo though. Maybe because she's so beautiful. Pretty girls can't be wrong? Or something like that...

She was never popular in Brazil though after that statement about the Zika virus on social media. They booed whenever she touched the ball. She's not the perfect diplomat so to speak...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 14, 2016 19:22

Is she related to Han Solo?

Date: August 14, 2016 21:08

I sure would like to see some fencing, sailing, shooting, track field... anything but golf.

Tokyo 2020 > Olympic fishing ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 21:19 by jambay.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home