Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Elvis Presley Band
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 28, 2005 00:18

Scotty Moore, Bill Black and D.J. Fontana --these guys could swing like few white boys I ever heard. I'm listening to the "Complete 50s Masters" volume one-- so many classics are here, including some gems that don't get much attention.

"Milkcow Blues Boogie" is one of those -- the band starts off the slow blues, and then Elvis utters these immortal lines -- "Hold it, fellas, that don't MOVE me--let's get real real GONE for a change".

"Baby, Let's Play House" -- Elvis lays it all out -- "I'd rather see you dead little girl than in the arms of another man."

"Blue Moon" -- the King displays a rare falsetto --it is haunting, and beautiful.

The blueprints for the ascendance to the throne are all here: "That's All Right", "Good Rockin Tonight", "Mystery Train", "Heartbreak Hotel", "Blue Suede Shoes".

It's easy to denigrate Elvis these days, but this early material is essential listening for anyone who wants to understand everything that came after.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-28 21:47 by bassplayer617.

Re: The Elvis Presley Band
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 28, 2005 00:35

great elvis for sure. i listen to that 5disc collection often.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2005 01:20

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> It's easy to denigrate Elvis these days

anyone who does so has cloth ears and is plain ignorant IMO..to be honest, I think Elvis' work has been favourably critically reevaluated in recent years, thanks mainly to some excellent re-issues and boxed sets from BMG/RCA..anyone who cant simply look past the crappy movies is missing something wonderful

, but this
> early material is essential listening for anyone
> who wants to understand everything that came
> after.

Amen.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 28, 2005 01:36

And surely you've heard the "All the King's Men" (Scotty & D.J.) w/ cool guests including Keith / The Band, 'Deuce and a Quarter' & Ron Wood/Jeff Beck ...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 28, 2005 01:42

A well-lubricated Mick does a pretty good Elvis imitation in Charlie is My Darling...can't think of which song though.

Anybody?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2005 02:09

Presley's Sun Sessions...White country marries black R&B

That's All Right ...Crudup's slow blues rocked up

Blue Moon Of Kentucky...Elvis puts the boots into Monroe's Bluegrass classic

Milkcow Blues Boogie ... Kokomo Arnold's pre-war blues tow started then ignition.

Baby Lets Play House ... Arthur Gunters R&B knocked up a cog into Rockabilly

Mystery Train ... Jnr Parkers Memphis R&B tamed into a haunting Elvis classic.

Compulsory listening...no home should be without it

Sunrise - Elvis Preseley - RCA 67675-2....a remastered 2CD set that includes Preseley's first two recordings for his mother and all of the Sun Sessions that have been found in the vaults so far.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2005 02:11

Compulsory read

Last Train To Memphis - The Rise Of Elvis Presley - Peter Guralnick

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2005 02:59

loog droog Wrote:
> A well-lubricated Mick does a pretty good Elvis
> imitation in Charlie is My Darling...can't think
> of which song though.
>
> Anybody?

Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 28, 2005 05:49

Jagger does it complete with BU vox LOL. That's the scene with Keith at the pianner crowning the line "Who do you think you are? MIck Jagger?"

Date: August 28, 2005 06:29

Rockman Wrote:
> Compulsory read
>
> Last Train To Memphis - The Rise Of Elvis Presley
> - Peter Guralnick
>
> ROCKMAN

The best book ever on Elvis

The second best is Guralnick's sequel to that one, "Careless Love".

Two of the greatest books on music ever written by anyone.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 28, 2005 08:23

Scotty Moore's licks are legendary ... every guitar player worth his salt knows about his contributions!

[www.scottymoore.net]

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 28, 2005 13:35

DJ Fontana is legendary in my book. He is the hiottest drummer. If I ever had to do a "Best" list I would vote him Best Drummer. When he started pl;aying the more modern drumkits in late 60's he was incredible.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 28, 2005 17:50

Am reading this Lawrence bio of Hendrix now. Seems when JH saw Elvis performed as a young teen in Seattle, he loved the King, but especially was much impressed by his tight little rocking combo.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 28, 2005 17:52

Rockman said -

This was the moment Rock ' N ' Roll was conceived. Later perfected by Keith Richards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-28 17:53 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 28, 2005 17:52

Rockman said -

This was the moment Rock ' N ' Roll was conceived. Later perfected by Keith Richards.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 28, 2005 18:40

I agree with all above posts. My wife is a huge Elvis fan so we have 95% of everything that has ever been released and some pretty cool boots as well. The Sun Sessions are must haves. Just watch the 68 Comeback Special and you can see how great that band (including Elvis) was. When they do the Jimmy Reed song, they are really cooking. And the funny thing is the fact that Elvis is having a really good time, it's like he's forgotten the crowd is there.

Sam Phillips really had it together in those days. I heard some of the Ike Turner recordings a while back and I was blown away at home good they were.

Date: August 28, 2005 21:56

Thanks for all the great responses. Elvis was my first rock idol when I was maybe 8 or 10, and the love of the early 50s classics has never left me.

However, it was only after I started playing in a band that I started to truly appreciate what a great GROUP the Elvis quartet was.

The "Complete 50s Masters" only reinforces that notion, and I'm still amazed at the quality of the sound, given the primitive recording technology.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 28, 2005 22:05

Yesssssss the early elvis does it all, that man really had bluess and soul in his voice.
Great to see all the spontanion reactions about him.
Scotty Moore, Bill Black and D.J. Fontana they are a insparation for half a century for al the people who do something in music.

Posted by: sir_carlos ()
Date: August 28, 2005 22:05

That's the way it is from 1970 Las Vegas session is a great period, probably his greatest

The period 68-73 is his greatest period, many covers, like "An American Trilogy", "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Something" etc. Great performences!!!

ps. don't forget his wonderful jumpsuites!

Date: August 28, 2005 23:47

Elvis' original trio of sidemen left in September 1957, but their legacy has resounded for nearly 50 years. The first and greatest American rock n roll band? The recordings make a strong case for them.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 29, 2005 00:02

ya, jagger copyed those elvis jumpsuits for the 72 tour

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 29, 2005 00:37

I think BassPlayer makes a great point about the band being the first great American R&R band. I'm assuming they toured with him when he hit the Chitlin circuit.

Date: August 29, 2005 02:47

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> Elvis' original trio of sidemen left in September
> 1957, but their legacy has resounded for nearly 50
> years. The first and greatest American rock n
> roll band? The recordings make a strong case for
> them.

well, Elvis didnt tour between 1957 and 1970 (he returned to live performances in August 1969)- the only shows he'd played between 1957 and then were a couple of charity shows in 1961 and the NBC-TV special in 1968, and Scotty and DJ worked with him both in the studio and in the live shows up to the NBC Special. The TV special was actually the last time that Scotty ever saw him, I believe..

Bill Black last worked with Elvis in early '58

You're right about them being the greatest American rock 'n' roll band IMO.

I consider "Elvis, Scotty and Bill" (to give the band its original title) to be the greatest trio in rock n roll history, even though they only cut a few songs before DJ joined..

Date: August 29, 2005 03:47

Scotty & Bill were also billed as The Blue Moon Boys

If you have a few days and nights to spare it's worth checking out Scotty's great site ...does include Keith footage from All The Kings Men....just type Keith Richards in search.

[www.scottymoore.net]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2005 03:57

CB, Johnnie Johnson, Willie Dixon and Fred Below could give those memphis cats a run for their money...

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 29, 2005 04:17

Rockman Wrote:
> Scotty & Bill were also billed as The Blue
> Moon Boys
>
> If you have a few days and nights to spare it's
> worth checking out Scotty's great site ...does
> include Keith footage from All The Kings
> Men....just type Keith Richards in search.
>
>
>
> ROCKMAN

You know Rockman, when Ron Wood talks about the night that Keith and him swapped licks with Scotty Moore ... makes you wish you were a fly on the wall during that exchange.

The thing I like about Keith is his lack of arrogance and paying compliments to guys like Chuck Berry and Scotty Moore for their influence on his style.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 29, 2005 07:57

Met Ron Tutt from Elvis's band in the 70's. Saw his over the weekend, kind of an a--hole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1650
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home