Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24
Re: The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 13, 2016 03:44

Toronto Film Review: ‘The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America’

Andrew Barker
Senior Features Writer
@barkerrant

Courtesy of TIFF

Paul Dugdale’s Rolling Stones tour documentary, “The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America,” arrives just a few short years after Martin Scorsese’s concert doc “Shine a Light,” Brett Morgan’s “Crossfire Hurricane,” and Morgan Neville’s “Keith Richards: Under the Influence,” among others. It also arrives alongside yet another Rolling Stones concert documentary also directed by Dugdale, “Havana Moon,” which will get a one-night-only theatrical release later this month. Given such a glut of recent documentary material on the 54-year-old band, the question has to be asked: Does this particular Rolling Stones film really have any pressing need to exist? In the case of “Olé,” the answer is: “maybe not, but so what?”

Partially a concert film, partially a meandering travelogue, and partially the record of a genuinely historic moment in the band’s later career, “Olé” follows the Stones on their 2016 jaunt through Latin America, culminating with a free open-air concert in Havana that marked the first time a foreign rock band had ever played Cuba. The saga of making that concert happen — despite intense bureaucratic struggles, a last-minute Obama-related rescheduling, and an admonishment from the Pope — provides the film with its natural throughline, though one wonders what sort of footage Dugdale might have saved for his other Stones film this year.

Nonetheless, the March 25 concert (of which two songs are shown in their entirety) is an awesome spectacle. The crowd — some of them clearly familiar with the band’s music, others probably not — seems determined to use the event as a sort of joyous exhalation after the opening of diplomatic relations with the U.S., and the energy is infectious. For Americans and Brits, after so many years of seeing the once-revolutionary music of the 1960s endlessly lionized and turned into commercial jingles, it’s hugely refreshing to see the effect these songs have on a less jaded audience for whom rock and roll still has a whiff of danger, and Cuba is hardly alone in eliciting such unbridled enthusiasm.

In Argentina, for example, Stones fans comprise a recognizable sort of Deadhead-esque urban tribe of hardcore devotees and Stones-inspired bands called “rolingas.” The subculture is an intriguing one, born out of the military dictatorship’s ban on English music, and the filmmakers span out to interview plenty of lips-and-tongue-clad rockers partying and busking in the streets of Buenos Aires. As the band travels via motorcade to the concert venue, we even get to see an endearingly strange recreation of the group’s early days being pursued by screaming fans, though the hysterical teen girls of yore have largely been replaced by older men. (After the band’s limo passes, a cameraman captures a fortysomething Argentinian weeping by the side of the road. “He just saw Mick,” his wife explains sweetly, as the man attempts to hide his face.)

Other stops on the tour aren’t nearly so interesting. Shows in Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Peru appear to be largely business as usual, so the filmmakers rely on band member interviews and quasi-staged outings to fill in the gaps between performances. (Ronnie Wood’s Sao Paulo sojourn to meet with a Brazilian street artist feels like the result of a long brainstorming session beginning with “what can we give Ronnie to do?”) Most of these segments tread familiar ground, though the band’s biographers will surely be interested in psychoanalyzing a joint interview/jam session between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. As forthrightly described by Richards in his riotous memoir, “My Life,” the two longtime collaborators have not been on the friendliest terms for decades, and whether they’ve since made up or are simply putting on a show for the cameras, it’s fascinating to watch them reminisce about writing “Honky Tonk Women” during a 1968 Brazilian vacation, followed by an acoustic duet performance of the song in the dressing room that’s worth the price of admission alone.

Of course, the band still sounds phenomenal onstage, and the concert scenes are expertly shot, with plenty of roaming on-the-ground footage to take in the audience ambiance. The filmmakers clearly had no shortage of resources, and sometimes they seem intent on flexing them for no obvious reason. At one point, we get a long, unbroken drone shot that begins on the ocean off the coast of Lima, pans up to reveal a panoramic view of the city’s skyline, then slowly zooms in on Richards strumming his guitar next to a rooftop pool. It’s a stunning shot, but why is it here? Who knows. Who cares. It’s only rock and roll.

[variety.com]

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: September 15, 2016 03:59

Got an extra ticket on the floor to the premiere at Roy Thomson Hall on Friday night--cost is $58--email me at rbowman@yorku.ca if you would like it

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 15, 2016 18:54

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 15, 2016 18:56

Band members Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood will attend the event.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: September 15, 2016 20:56

"what's so shabby about that?"

Classic Keith.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 16, 2016 07:42

Oh, damn! smiling smiley

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: September 16, 2016 16:16

Did anyone catch the Q&A with Paul Dudgdale on the RS app?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 16, 2016 19:31

Olé Olé on CraveTV 14 october

[www.bellmedia.ca]

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:08

Never been to TIFF before. Does anyone know what the protocol is? I bought a ticket for Sep.16th viewing for 9:30 pm. People that line the red carpet to meet stars also go in to theatre? If someone going can let me know or even email.

Ole'

Date: September 17, 2016 01:17

There should be some sort of Ret Carpet arrival frenzy but never sure when. There will also be a longish line for ticket holders along the east side of Roy Thomson Hall, starting more than an hour before the screening time. I am never sure what's going to happen with the tickets but I think I'm sitting in a good area for pics, I may pass on the red carpet to get a better place in line as last year I got in so damn late I was scrunched into the back row and am still grouchy about it.

Date: September 17, 2016 01:43

SomeTorontoGirl
There should be some sort of Ret Carpet arrival frenzy but never sure when. There will also be a longish line for ticket holders along the east side of Roy Thomson Hall, starting more than an hour before the screening time. I am never sure what's going to happen with the tickets but I think I'm sitting in a good area for pics, I may pass on the red carpet to get a better place in line as last year I got in so damn late I was scrunched into the back row and am still grouchy about it.

Thanks! This is the first time since rehearsals that we may actually get to see them up close!

Date: September 17, 2016 03:21

Livestream: [etcanada.com]

Date: September 17, 2016 03:33

Date: September 17, 2016 03:37

"Keith Richards walks the red carpet for premiere of #OleOleOle at #TIFF16 PHOTO by @DaveAbelphoto"

[twitter.com]

Date: September 17, 2016 03:39

They came in fast, dashed past we unwashed masses and scarpered right after the requisite media pics. Grumble.

Date: September 17, 2016 03:43

For those who missed the livestream, here's the video: [www.facebook.com]

Date: September 17, 2016 04:46

Keith Richards Talks Rolling Stone Doc

Keith Richards talks about what makes this Rolling Stone documentary special at the TIFF premiere of The Rolling Stones Ole Ole Ole!: A Trip Across Latin America

[etcanada.com]

Date: September 17, 2016 05:26

Dave Abel/Toronto Sun

Date: September 17, 2016 06:21

Arthur Mola/Invision/AP

Date: September 17, 2016 06:26

Arthur Mola/Invision/AP

Date: September 17, 2016 06:27

Arthur Mola/Invision/AP

Date: September 17, 2016 06:29

Arthur Mola/Invision/AP

Date: September 17, 2016 06:36

Brilliant movie! So bloody great! Mick and Keith backstage singing Couny Honk got a huge ovation. A mariachi band playing Happy. So fun, so great, so tired I am. Nice to meet alieb. Nice to catch a streetcar and get home to bed. Looking forward to seeing again Sunday!

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: September 17, 2016 08:00

SomeTorontoGirl
Brilliant movie! So bloody great! Mick and Keith backstage singing Couny Honk got a huge ovation. A mariachi band playing Happy. So fun, so great, so tired I am. Nice to meet alieb. Nice to catch a streetcar and get home to bed. Looking forward to seeing again Sunday!

Nice to see you as well!

The film was so much fun, and the best part was they were watching it with me the whole time and I had no idea!

Date: September 17, 2016 08:05

It was a really good rockumentary! It showed the devotion the fans have for them and gave you some insight of how the band members have dealt with fame and how they relate to one another. Totally different from Hyde Park with more of a storyline mixed in with concert footage. A must see for Stones fans and will more then likely accompany the Cuba concert when released for purchase. Who can complain when Keith and Ronnie introduce the movie on stage and I believe they were in the balcony at the end!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-17 08:07 by PalaisRoyale.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: September 17, 2016 14:37

Really enjoyed the premiere of the Stones''rockumentary' last night! Got a couple of last minute tickets on kijiji late in the afternoon and off to the screening. I ended up getting within 'spittin' distance of both Keith and Ronnie on the red at the carpet and in the concert hall. Very cool to see them that close.

As for the film. I didn't expect much and ended up being surprised at what an excellent film it actually is! Very refreshing to see the Stones off-stage and hanging loose...we didn't need another straight concert movie. Keith is very funny throughout the film and that that scene of Mick & Keith doing Country Honk! Absolutely amazing...the highlight of the movie and the audience loved it.

So yeah, the film is a good one...really good. Ole, Ole, Ole!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 17, 2016 15:53

Thanks all for the great reviews and pics. I'm going to see it next month in Silver Spring, can't wait! hot smiley

Date: September 17, 2016 16:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-02 06:00 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 17, 2016 16:48

Will this documentary be on dvd/bd , any information about that?

Havana Moon will be on cinemas here in Finland but I don't think this documentary will be, maybe on television....

The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America - TIFF, September 16
Date: September 17, 2016 17:23

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home