Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny B. Bad: Chuck Berry and the Making of Hail! Hail! Rock'N'Roll
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2019 19:01

Author Stephanie Bennett Recalls Her Outrageous Encounters with a Rock Legend in Johnny B. Bad: Chuck Berry and the Making of Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll

LOS ANGELES, 2019, Ca., Mar. 1, 2019 - In her new book, Johnny B. Bad: Chuck Berry and the Making of Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll, author Stephanie Bennett pulls back the curtain to reveal the complete story of the making of 1987’s seminal music documentary Chuck Berry: Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll, which followed the legend during two star-studded concerts celebrating his sixtieth birthday.

Set to be released on March 18, 2019, the book ($20.72, hardcover, Rare Bird Books, available on Amazon.com), combines interviews from the film’s participants, including its music director, Keith Richards. These unique interviews and accounts paint a vivid and multifaceted picture of the artist.

[www.johnnybbadbook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-21 20:29 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: Johnny B. Bad: Chuck Berry and the Making of Hail! Hail! Rock'N'Roll
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 21, 2019 20:48

"Also as a premiere and never before seen chapter, a conversation (with photos) between Robbie Robertson and Chuck Berry examining in unfiltered detail, Chuck's early career"

Premiere? The DVD of the film has a bonus feature where Robbie and Chuck discuss the early days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-21 20:51 by Boognish.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 21, 2019 21:51

The 4-disc DVD of HHR&Roll has more examples of Chuck's "mischievous" behaviour...

Believe me, Keef got treated fairly well compared to the film crew.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 22, 2019 21:23

Went to both shows, looks lik I found my book to read on the beach this summer!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 22, 2019 22:50

...why Helen Mirren...?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:09

jp.M
...why Helen Mirren...?
I assume because she's married to Taylor Hackford, the director of Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:14

jp.M
...why Helen Mirren...?

From the book's introduction by Stephanie Bennett:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2019 00:11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 23, 2019 00:50

Slightly OT: TV-Documentary (UK, 2018) about Chuck Berry:

Friday, 5th April 2019, 9:45pm, French/German-Broadcaster arte.

German - [www.arte.tv] -- French - [www.arte.tv] .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 23, 2019 01:31

Anyone read the book? Is there anything more to reveal about Chuck Berry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 01:50 by Stoneage.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 23, 2019 18:43

My wife and I went to see this film the Friday night it opened.

While it was playing in multiple theaters, we actually drove a distance to see it on the biggest screen possible. Being the first day, the place was fairly packed.

Before the film, there were some people from the studio who passed out cards and pencils in the theater and asked everyone to fill out a survey.

The questions they were asking were unbelievable to me, although in hindsight it was classic marketing stuff. I'm sorry now that I didn't just keep my card instead of turning it back in, although I remember that they were counting them as they were being distributed, and kept stressing that they needed them all back.

The one question that really blew my mind was, "Prior to seeing this, had you heard of Chuck Berry before?" This was a giant WTF?? moment for me that was inconceivable on so many levels.

I couldn't imagine anyone not knowing who Chuck Berry was.

I can vividly recall the moment in the film where Springsteen cites his awareness of Chuck Berry being started by the Stones. Young fans now can't appreciate this, but at that moment in time the Rolling Stones were really being bashed a lot in the rock press and not really appreciated much. Bruce was at a commercial peak, and his saying as much about the Stones felt like a break in the ice, and I think was the beginning of a turnaround in the hipster perception of the Stones.

As an NRBQ fan, the close-ups of Keith sharing a mic with Joey Spampinato made it worth the drive to see the film on a really big screen.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: March 27, 2019 22:22

Stephanie is doing a book signing here in Auckland New Zealand (where she now lives - on Waiheke Island) after a screening of Hail Hail on May 19th.

Hope to see some of you there!

[www.writersfestival.co.nz]

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home