Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Selected Compilations-Talk – METAMORPHOSIS
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 9, 2016 00:00

Rockman
Hey that clever schillid ....take a bow ...take a bow wow wow ...

woof

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 00:01 by schillid.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: July 10, 2016 21:58

Great Album ! - maybe not "Compilation" - but more Historic Evidence . .

"Don´t Lie to Me" - puzzles me, - is it Mono, - Electronically Reprocessed Stereo, - True Stereo, - or what ?

To my ears, - it sounds like either "Very Narrow Stereo" - or ERPS . . .

NOT Mono . . .

I have the boot "2120 South Michigan Avenue" - where the text tells :
"In glorious Mono" - and it is identical to the "Metamorphosis" - version . .

Please give me your opinion . . !

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 10, 2016 22:35

HenrikBB

"Don´t Lie to Me" - puzzles me, - is it Mono, - Electronically Reprocessed Stereo, - True Stereo, - or what ?

NOT Mono . . .

It's in extremely narrowed stereo. If you do an OOPS (read about that on the net), it will give you a slight and hollow stereo picture with a lot of artifacts, which clearly shows it's a stereo mix.
However, the Necrophilia bootleg, which are sourced from a first-class acetate, has Don't Lie To Me in pure stereo, just like the original Chess recordings.
Beware that both versions contains an after-the-fact piano overdub, made by a session-pianist in 1972, urged by Andrew Oldham, who produced both Necrophilia and Metamorphosis.

Date: July 11, 2016 03:32

Blueranger
HenrikBB

NOT Mono . . .

It's in extremely narrowed stereo. If you do an OOPS (read about that on the net), it will give you a slight and hollow stereo picture with a lot of artifacts, which clearly shows it's a stereo mix.
However, the Necrophilia bootleg, which are sourced from a first-class acetate, has Don't Lie To Me in pure stereo, just like the original Chess recordings.
Beware that both versions contains an after-the-fact piano overdub, made by a session-pianist in 1972, urged by Andrew Oldham, who produced both Necrophilia and Metamorphosis.

Thanks a lot !
Very interesting ! - but raises the question, - why was´t it released in True Stereo here . . . ?
"OOPS" . . . Have to check that out . . . Can you provide me with any details ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 03:36 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 11, 2016 13:17

An odd mixture of outtakes, unfinished tracks and B-Versions of released songs. Some indispensible highlights, though, I won't miss: Don't' Lie To Me, I don't Know Why, Jiving Sister Fanny and Memo From Turner. The A-side is (with exception of Don't Lie To Me and Heart Of Stone) horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 13:18 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 11, 2016 15:21

HenrikBB
Blueranger
HenrikBB

NOT Mono . . .

Thanks a lot !
Very interesting ! - but raises the question, - why was´t it released in True Stereo here . . . ?

I don't quite know why it wasn't released in true stereo once it got released.
However, back in 1975, they didn't take those things very importantly, if it was stereo or mono or a combination of both. A guess could be that the narrowed Metamorphosis mix was a decision made during the mastering-stage, to make it sound more in common with the rest of the early tracks which were mixed/mastered the same way.

OOPS: [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:53

DandelionPowderman
Mick Taylor plays beautifully on I Don't Know Why (the solo is looped, though) and Jiving Sister Fanny.

Holy crap! I never noticed that! They left the first blast of the horns up too loud for the second one for some reason - and Mick's EH! is mixed out.

Date: July 11, 2016 20:56

Blueranger
HenrikBB
Blueranger
HenrikBB

NOT Mono . . .

Thanks a lot !

I don't quite know why it wasn't released in true stereo once it got released.
However, back in 1975, they didn't take those things very importantly, if it was stereo or mono or a combination of both. A guess could be that the narrowed Metamorphosis mix was a decision made during the mastering-stage, to make it sound more in common with the rest of the early tracks which were mixed/mastered the same way.

OOPS: [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Yeah, - the same thought struck me . . .
This production makes it sound "old" ! - which it is ! . . .
- after all this is decisions made 41 years ago . . .
and the the song is still GREAT ! ! !

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:27

I'd be up for a deluxe Metamorphosis, say 4 or 5 cds of ABKCO era stuff. Blood Red Wine deserves an official release, there must be more in the ABKCO vaults.
Bill's original Black Box also looked interesting
Anyone know anything about Godzi ?
Plus Jiving Sister Fanny is great. Side 2 is very enjoyable and I don't mind most of side 1. Hey I'd even be up for the complete Shang A Doo Lang and Give Me Your Hand and Hold It Tight demos as long as they included the demo Brian wrote and sings on.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:51

ash
I'd be up for a deluxe Metamorphosis, say 4 or 5 cds of ABKCO era stuff. Blood Red Wine deserves an official release, there must be more in the ABKCO vaults.
Bill's original Black Box also looked interesting
Anyone know anything about Godzi ?
Plus Jiving Sister Fanny is great. Side 2 is very enjoyable and I don't mind most of side 1. Hey I'd even be up for the complete Shang A Doo Lang and Give Me Your Hand and Hold It Tight demos as long as they included the demo Brian wrote and sings on.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

That's exactly what we, or at least I, need... speaking of opening the vaults, ABCKO had a fantastic start with the deluxe YaYas & Charlie Is My Darling, but now it's high time for some more releases, studio material in particular.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2016 05:30

I loved it, even the weak moments. Played it a lot. Made me feel like a Stones insider.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 13, 2016 16:12

Always loved this album.

Was I Don't Know Why set to be a single? I read somewheer that it was

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 13, 2016 16:30

Silver Dagger
Always loved this album.

Was I Don't Know Why set to be a single? I read somewheer that it was

It was released as a single.
USA: [www.45cat.com]
UK: [www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 13, 2016 17:00

Wow - and it bombed. Unbelievable. I guess Decca and the Stones didn't bother promoting it.

Date: July 13, 2016 17:20

The Stones had - and wanted - nothing to do with the release of METAMORPHOSIS. They released MADE IN THE SHADE the same week to counter ABKCO's barrel scraping release.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 13, 2016 17:34

Silver Dagger
Wow - and it bombed. Unbelievable. I guess Decca and the Stones didn't bother promoting it.

Decca placed ads in the music press but it only got a lukewarm reception and was hardly played at all on UK radio.
As GasLightStreet says, the Stones wanted nothing to do with it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 13, 2016 18:39

Mick Jagger (1975): Metamorphosis

See, we're coming in and we're going to tour here, right? And he's just trying to cash in. And he doesn't have anything new. Klein has nothing. All he has is a lot of old things. He doesn't have any new artists or new product... But we have to take life as it comes.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 14, 2020 17:57

After learning that Jon Tiven contributed congas to "Jiving Sister Fanny" and "I'm Going Down", I discovered some very interesting information about this album:

"Metamorphosis" - Rolling Stones. Well, yes, I'm "on" a Rolling Stones album. The above mentioned Andrew Loog had produced, and owned the rights to the Stones first 7 albums. Shortly after "Hot Rocks", a compilation of Stones tunes was released, Andrew decided to do one of his own. I overdubbed guitar tracks over Keith's original tracks. Likewise Paul Ossola dubbed in the bass, and Vic Steffens drums. The liner notes referred to friends dropping by late night sessions and "no one kept a list to say who played", and then went on, "but we'd like to thank Jimmy Page, John McLaughlin..." and a host of others - when actually it was a bunch of kids in Wallingford, CT. Sorry Andrew. After 37 years, your secret is out! [dougschlink.com]

This is coming directly from one of the studio musicians. I have to believe that Oldham dropped the names like Jimmy Page, John McLaughlin, and others to sell records, not because they were actually on the album.

I'm not sure where the names Rocky Dijon, Bobby Keys, and Bill Plummer (!) came from for "I'm Going Down", but I don't believe it. Most sites list Dijon on bongo, when it is a totally different instrument: congas, played by Tiven. Now I'm no sax-man, but that part could be played by any competent musician. Bill Plummer didn't even meet the Stones until he overdubbed on Exile.

Also, check out this review of Metamorphosis when it came out by none other than Jon Tiven (conga player). You can tell he's friends with Oldham. You will probably need to use your search function to find where the Metamorphosis review is because there is a lot of info. [www.americanradiohistory.com]

The cover art with the masks makes all too much sense now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-14 18:14 by TravelinMan.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home