Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Selected Compilations-Talk: Solid Rock
Date: July 1, 2016 12:24

SOLID ROCK

Released: 10 October 1980
Recorded: 1963–1969
Label: Decca

Track list:

Side one:
Carol
Route 66
Fortune Teller
I Wanna Be Your Man
Poison Ivy
Not Fade Away
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Get Off of My Cloud

Side two:
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Connection
All Sold Out
Citadel
Parachute Woman
Live with Me
Honky Tonk Women

What are your thoughts on this compilation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 15:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Solid Rock
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 1, 2016 13:32

Never heard it, never heard OF it either.
Quite an interesting tracklist. Must have been composed by a "fan" at Decca who wanted
to highlight some lesser known, but great material.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 1, 2016 14:01

It also had a dutch release in 1980, methinks.

Lovely collection of songs indeed. It was one of the first Stones albums I purchased myself (London 1982) thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 14:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 14:03

bought it early in the days when i discovered the stones, but didnt really need it only a few short months after.

its ok for turning people onto the band but can be easily discarded when you become a serious fan and have bought all the official studio releases anyway.

think mine is in my ex wifes house up her loft along with another 20 vinyl stones records.

Posted by: FOGGY ()
Date: July 1, 2016 20:07

My first Stones album !
The versions of Fortune Teller & Poison Ivy were originally intended for release in 1963/64 as a single?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 1, 2016 21:27

I remember this one very well. I´ve stolen the Cassette in my local record store when the compilation was released. Used to play it on my walkman quite often, then one day i´ve lost it who knows where.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 2, 2016 01:10

I remember this release but never bought any compilation except for the officially released by the Stones....
Don't you think Mick Taylor should be on the cover as well....................

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:05

Good songs of course, but buying this 1980 is for complete beginners...,

2 1 2 0

Date: July 2, 2016 20:39

Come On

Or collectors, who are far from beginners, of course winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:43

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Or collectors, who are far from beginners, of course winking smiley

Right there DP thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: August 31, 2019 13:48

NICOS
I remember this release but never bought any compilation except for the officially released by the Stones....

Yep, he plays on the two latter songs.

PS: You never bought Hot Rocks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 13:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 31, 2019 13:59

NICOS
For doing overdubs on HTW? I don’t know...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: August 31, 2019 15:52

audun-eg
NICOS

+ Live With Me.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 31, 2019 18:05

Can any fellow Collector tell me if it has had re-issue(s) ‘Made In England’? I’ve never found any. Thanks, Luca

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:02

As fas as I know, this is an official Decca compilation. Maybe not supported by the Stones, but still official.
As far as it is for beginners only, 7 or 8 tracks are singles only releases, so I figure it would be a valuable complement to the original lps alright. I remember when I had all the lps and found a number of individual singles here and there, but still had to solve the huge task of buying the most fitting compilations to get all the single releases complete without too many superfluous album tracks thrown in the mix as it were. This, of course was before the cd boxsets and all that solved all that.
Those were the days!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:16

I bought it from the collectors point of view, and for Wanna be your man. I think it was followed a bit later by a decca release called slow rollers. This was to be the more “rock” type collection.

Picked it up for $10 a few years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-31 19:17 by Paddy.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2019 19:25

what a strange compilation. It’s purpose was? I suspect the addition of Poison Ivy and Fortune Teller was a ploy to lure Stones fans into purchasing it; but these two tracks had been released on More Hot Rocks, no?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 31, 2019 21:17

Big Al
what a strange compilation. It’s purpose was? I suspect the addition of Poison Ivy and Fortune Teller was a ploy to lure Stones fans into purchasing it; but these two tracks had been released on More Hot Rocks, no?

It was released in Europe in 1980 shortly after Phonogram had bought Decca.
Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks weren't released in Europe until 1986 when ABKCO issued them on CD.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 31, 2019 21:21

1963luca0
Can any fellow Collector tell me if it has had re-issue(s) ‘Made In England’? I’ve never found any. Thanks, Luca

My copy seems to be a strange "hybrid".
On the back of the sleeve it has the London logo and the catalogue number 820 884-1 but the disc has a Decca label with the catalogue number TAB 1.
The disc was manufactured by Phonogram in Holland.

Edit: Just found this on discogs:
[www.discogs.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-01 00:19 by Deltics.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 22:20

Deltics
1963luca0

My copy seems to be a strange "hybrid".
On the back of the sleeve it has the London logo and the catalogue number 820 884-1 but the disc has a Decca label with the catalogue number TAB 1.
The disc was manufactured by Phonogram in Holland.

Mine is the same, Matrix # xeal 16720

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 1, 2019 00:17

Wasn't this one of the typical strange Decca releases to make some Money when the Stones released a new record (Emotional Rescue) ? Released in England in october 1980 and in Germany a few month later in february 1981. I remember that no one or just a very few people were interested in this one. Nothing new just the old stuff every serious fan already had. In Germany was a 7 inch release of All Sold Out b/w Connection with the artwork of the lp release .
The same month another official (strange) compilation was released in Germany: Heartbreakers 19 Love Songs . Brrrrr, wasnt interested at the time , but from a collectors few both LPs are not so easy to find in perfect condition cause of poor sales..

Tom

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 1, 2019 01:04

Wasn't one of the stipulations of the Stones split from ABKCO was that they could continue to release compilation albums? Hence Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Metamorphisis, Stoneage, Solid Rock, No Stone Unturned, etc.

Date: September 1, 2019 10:51

electricmud
Wasn't this one of the typical strange Decca releases to make some Money when the Stones released a new record (Emotional Rescue) ? Released in England in october 1980 and in Germany a few month later in february 1981. I remember that no one or just a very few people were interested in this one. Nothing new just the old stuff every serious fan already had. In Germany was a 7 inch release of All Sold Out b/w Connection with the artwork of the lp release .
The same month another official (strange) compilation was released in Germany: Heartbreakers 19 Love Songs . Brrrrr, wasnt interested at the time , but from a collectors few both LPs are not so easy to find in perfect condition cause of poor sales..

Tom

There were two editions of Heartbreakers available at Discogs the last time I checked (different album covers).

Remember that Solid Rock came out 6 years before Hot Rocks in Europe. If one didn't have Rolled Gold or Stones Story there could be some interesting stuff on this album.

Lots of interesting compilations were released in this period: Slow Rollers, 20 Super Hits, Collectors Only, Satisfaction etc...

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:55

DandelionPowderman
electricmud

Tom

There were two editions of Heartbreakers available at Discogs the last time I checked (different album covers).

Remember that Solid Rock came out 6 years before Hot Rocks in Europe. If one didn't have Rolled Gold or Stones Story there could be some interesting stuff on this album.

Lots of interesting compilations were released in this period: Slow Rollers, 20 Super Hits, Collectors Only, Satisfaction etc...

Most people I knew have had Rolled Gold , Great compilation. Collectors Only was outstanding with some real rarities. Not to forget the 4 LP box The Rest Of The Best from december 1983 with an official ( by accident) @#$%& Blues 7inch.

Tom

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 2, 2019 00:47

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
NICOS

+ Live With Me.
Of course. Some overdubs on that one too. Forgot about that one.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 2, 2019 02:34

DandelionPowderman
NICOS

Yep, he plays on the two latter songs.

PS: You never bought Hot Rocks?

No I didn't ....by the time it was released I already had all the songs listed on Hot Rocks....but I should have bought it only for the sleeve ;o)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home