Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Paul Simon's thoughts on FAME
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 29, 2016 15:35

Excellent article in the New York Times today on Paul Simon's likely retirement
and his valuable comments on FAME.

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-29 23:10 by bv.

Re: OT: Paul Simon's thoughts on FAME
Date: June 29, 2016 15:55

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 29, 2016 16:29

When I saw the FAME headline, my first thought was, "I thought 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon' was recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, not Rick Hall's FAME studios."

I wonder if Paul is feeling snubbed for not being included in Oldchella?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-29 16:30 by loog droog.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 29, 2016 17:33

Dang, I'm kicking myself a little now for not going to his concert at Wolf Trap.

Thanks for the article and link, stonesrule and DP.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 29, 2016 17:36

maybe he's gearing up for another Simon and Garfunkel reunion and calling it a day

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 29, 2016 19:08

Glad I got to see him in March here in B'ham.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 29, 2016 23:35

I love the "Mr Simon" bit...you would never get the UK music press using such titles.
I have great admiration for Paul....he is a consumate artist who has never rested on his laurels, developing his craft and being prepared to lose some of his fan base on the way.
I imagine, like Eric Clapton, his touring days may be drawing to an end but I'm sure we will see further recordings in the future.
An autobiography is in the works, he might do some off - Broadway work and an album with his wife is always a possiblity.Like Dylan, I would like to see more literary work from him also.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2016 00:23

The other day, performing in Philadelphia, he looked out from the stage and was surprised to see four mountains on the horizon.

I thought he was gonna end up saying Dolly Parton was out in the audience ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 30, 2016 05:50

reg thorpe
maybe he's gearing up for another Simon and Garfunkel reunion and calling it a day

Ain't gonna happen. They aren't talking.

Garfunkel strikes me as an ungrateful d-bag. He was lucky to be along for the ride for a while. Simon had all the talent in that duo.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 30, 2016 06:00

ab
reg thorpe

Garfunkel strikes me as an ungrateful d-bag. He was lucky to be along for the ride for a while. Simon had all the talent in that duo.

Agreed.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 06:18

MICK JAGGER: "To go from the music-oriented press to national press and national television, and everyone seeing you in the world of two television channels, and then being recognized by everyone from builders and people working in shops and so on. It goes to your head – very champagne feeling." [www.rollingstone.com]

What's funny is a band member complaining about fame, and then expressing jealousy when another member is more famous. Well, which is it?

In a Behind the Music about the Go-Go's Jane Wielding complained about fame...and then complained that Belinda Carlisle eclipsed her with her solo hit Mad About You. Well, which is it?

The members of Sugar Ray complained that Mark McGrath alone appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine. No Doubt complained about Gwen Stafani getting more fame. (Band members who are nonetheless pretty famous.) Well, which is it?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 30, 2016 06:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 06:24 by ab.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 15:36

ab
reg thorpe

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yep, pretty much. He sounds like a bitter old fool in this interview.

He has (had) an amazing voice, but Simon's solo career is proof that he possessed all the creativity in the group. Why spend time being in a miserable situation when you have the ability to strike out on your own?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 30, 2016 20:00

Art is an insufferable twit; however, what he says about Simon rings true. Every time Simon's solo career needed a boost, he called up Art for a reunion, then dumped him shortly after.

Date: June 30, 2016 22:02

wonderboy
Art is an insufferable twit; however, what he says about Simon rings true. Every time Simon's solo career needed a boost, he called up Art for a reunion, then dumped him shortly after.

Paul Simon's solo career never needed a lift.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 2, 2016 01:16

Presley, I agree was destroyed by fame.
Not Lennon though. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time (December 1980).
Brian Jones was clearly destroyed by fame as was Michael Jackson.
Amy Winehouse: most obviously.
And most recently Prince.

Paul Simon was always going to be a survivor. Very smart, astute. John Lennon didn't care for him, he preferred damaged goods apparantly.

Date: July 2, 2016 05:14

jlowe
Presley, I agree was destroyed by fame.
Not Lennon though. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time (December 1980).
Brian Jones was clearly destroyed by fame as was Michael Jackson.
Amy Winehouse: most obviously.
And most recently Prince.

Paul Simon was always going to be a survivor. Very smart, astute. John Lennon didn't care for him, he preferred damaged goods apparantly.

I think he means that Lennon's death was caused by his fame. It doesn't have to be self inflicted.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:09

John Lennon didn't care for him, he preferred damaged goods apparantly.

Me too for sure! Who's in this World has paid any attention to what Paul Simon has been doing past 'Bridge over troubled water'?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:48

Come On
John Lennon didn't care for him, he preferred damaged goods apparantly.

Me too for sure! Who's in this World has paid any attention to what Paul Simon has been doing past 'Bridge over troubled water'?
Your statement is flat-out ignorant of Simon's history.

Graceland alone sold over 16 million copies worldwide and won the Grammy for Album of the Year.

That was in 1986, so yeah, people DID pay attention to his work.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 2, 2016 21:04

Yup, I was deeply afraid of that...I got his albums on LPs up to 1991 but do not listens to them...must be some kind of reason there, maybe spelled lack of good and intressting songs or something...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2016 23:24

Please. I have a great Paul Simon song from 2012, called 'The Afterlife' that I put on a compilation. People loved it. It's as good as anything he ever did. The man goes in and out of style, but nobody has the highs that he has. And don't denigrate Art. A fantastic, expressive voice with emotional range Paul couldn't have pushed songs like Bridge Over Trouble Water to bigger heights without.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 3, 2016 02:02

Come On

Yup, I was deeply afraid of that...I got his albums on LPs up to 1991 but do not listens to them...must be some kind of reason there, maybe spelled lack of good and intressting songs or something...

What are you talking about? No it must be you. Very ignorant comment on your part.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 4, 2016 04:17

More Hot Rocks
wonderboy

Paul Simon's solo career never needed a lift.

his height needed a lift, his feet barely reached the ground.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 4, 2016 04:58

Come on Boys! You're beginning to sound like HMS.

Paul is a GREAT TALENT.

Art has a fine voice but he's a whiner.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 4, 2016 05:22

Paul Simon is an immense talent, one of the all-time greats of our generation. That he feels the need to slow down and wants to walk away is something only the likes of him can relate to in any way.

It is interesting the differences in people though. Simon is 74, needs to sleep 15 hours a day and doesn't feel the need to stay in the game anymore. Paul McCartney is also 74 and shows no signs of slowing down.

As for Art Garfunkel, as someone else said, his singing gave a certain voice to Simon's words that only he could bring to them. Their harmonies rank among the best ever. Had Garfunkel found better songwriters for his own solo stuff people would likely not be slagging him here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2016 05:32

Paul Simon -- UNCUT - July 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 05:34

I was at the tour closer at Forest Hills Stadium - what a phenomenal show. Feeling very fortunate to have seen what is possibly his final U.S. performance. In respect to Simon & Garfunkel, I can't see why they wouldn't put aside the animosity for one final concert, with proceeds to charity. The money they could gross would be enormous...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 4, 2016 06:14

24FPS
Please. I have a great Paul Simon song from 2012, called 'The Afterlife' that I put on a compilation. People loved it. It's as good as anything he ever did. The man goes in and out of style, but nobody has the highs that he has. And don't denigrate Art. A fantastic, expressive voice with emotional range Paul couldn't have pushed songs like Bridge Over Trouble Water to bigger heights without.

The hyperbowl on music forums just amazes me. It never stops. So Afterlife is as good as Sounds of Silence or anything else he ever did? And nobody has the highs that he has? So Bob Dylan, the Beatles, or the Stones never had the highs that Simon had?

If I ran a music forum I would make people list their top 50 artists and 100 top albums before they joined. If anytime in the future a need to hyperbowl made them say things that didn't jive with their list then I would ban them for a month. If it kept happening they would be banned for good. If an artist dies and he instantly jumos spots on someone's list then i would ban them and ask all other music boards to do the same.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 4, 2016 06:29

If I ran a music forum...

...there would be only one profile on that forum...

and he would constantly argue with (and insult) himself because that what he enjoys most.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 4, 2016 06:41

Paul Simon's likely retirement

Seems like some kind of agenda going on here... maybe a 3-4 year retirement tour coming up?

but IDK...

Then again if your gonna do something, why not just do it?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home