Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Sympathy..." in Pet Store TV commercial
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 22, 2016 23:04

Just happened to see commercial on TV. Oh no. The song has been appropriated to the point where it's a joke rather than an apex of rock writing. Fun for the kids haha I say sarcastically to myself. This kind of stuff was what the lyrics of Satisfaction was railing against. There's the rush of hearing the studio version of the classic and you run to the tv and it's about dog food and cartoons. OK for many I'm sure. Not for me. I like all four verses too but that's another story...

[www.ispot.tv]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 05:36 by hopkins.

Re: "Sympathy..." in Pet Store TV commercial
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 23, 2016 01:26

I was going to put a post about this in last week. I see the Petsmart ad run at night when I watch the local CBC Vancouver news. When I first heard it, I had the news on but I was in the kitchen. I then heard the song and rushed back to see what was happening, only to see a commercial! WTF?!
I'm sure they paid ABKCO a ton of cash to use it!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 23, 2016 03:41

Same here. I almost posted when I saw it on Sunday, also thinking, "ABKCO's making some interesting choices."

Don't know whether people can see this, but here's the ad.

-swiss

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 23, 2016 05:53

I love SFTD; I love dogs. Where's the problem?

Just as every cat is a criminal
And all the squirrels taints
As I chase my tail
Just call me Lucifer (or Lucy or Lucky),
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint
(Whoo whoo, whoo whoo -- whoo let the dogs out)

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 23, 2016 06:09

I shouted out who killed that Pekingese
then I sang a song bout my rice krispies
pleased to meet you i totally give up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2016 06:25

i also saw it and was tempted to post my disdain.

they've already sold Satisfaction to Hilton Hotels for their use, those commercials have been out for awhile.

I guess ABKCO is monetizing it's biggest asset. Such a shame. SFTD in a canine commercial is for the dogs though.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 23, 2016 07:24

The song is completely incongruent with what is being advertised. It seems as if some ad exec decided he would use that song no matter what.

Date: June 23, 2016 07:54

PetSmart Teams With 'Secret Life Of Pets'

by Tanya Gazdik, June 17, 2016, 12:50AM

PetSmart has landed its first exclusive retail relationship with Universal Pictures’ “The Secret Life of Pets.”

The movie premieres July 8, but the stars are already appearing in a PetSmart campaign breaking this week. The first of two spots features the characters shopping at PetSmart and include The Rolling Stones' “Sympathy for the Devil.”

The partnership with the movie features an exclusive new collection including toys, beds, collars and apparel inspired by the stars.

Although PetSmart has had license deals with other movies in the past, this is the first time PetSmart has had an exclusive retail relationship. PetSmart worked directly with the Illumination Entertainment filmmakers to ensure the products capture each character’s unique personality, as well as the iconic scenes from the movie

Universal approached PetSmart more than a year ago, said Eran Cohen, chief customer experience officer, PetSmart. “We got early access to the film’s content and we were enchanted and tremendously excited about what we saw and just knew the film was going to be very popular and engaging for our customers,” Cohen tells Marketing Daily. “We have done movie tie-in programs before, but never to this depth and across all our channels from exclusive products and tailored services to in-store, TV, digital and social.”

PetSmart is also sponsoring the “Share Your Pets’ Funniest Secret” video contest. Customers have until June 22 to post 30-second videos featuring funny pet secrets. PetSmart will narrow the candidates for a majority vote conducted June 27-July 5. The grand prize winner will win a $500 PetSmart gift card and runners up will receive $250 gift cards.

PetSmart Grooming Salons are offering an exclusive “The Secret Life of Pets” bandana. Over June and July, PetSmart will hold two in-store national events tied to the movie’s theme, including a scavenger hunt for kids to look for the signage featuring the characters.

“Our aim with this integrated campaign is to connect and engage with pet parents and families through a massively popular, fun pet-centric movie,” Cohen says. “We already know from associates that the in-store presence is creating lots of buzz and excitement. In just a few weeks, everybody will be able to see and enjoy this wonderful film. We know the movie will be tremendously popular among pet parents and families, which are key targets for us.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 10:26 by swiss.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 23, 2016 08:04

When I saw the ad, I was going to post too, but then I saw there was already a thread about Stones music in commercials and I was surprised at how many commercials there have been over the years using Stones songs, and it was a bit sad and demotivating.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2016 08:07

Sacrilege.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 23, 2016 10:29

DaveG
The song is completely incongruent with what is being advertised.

Well thank heaven for that – I wouldn’t want SFTD to be used by devil worshipers as part of a membership drive. On the other hand, if ABKCO shares my belief that pet shops are satanic, their decision to peddle this Stones classic should be applauded.

Anyways I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the age we live in - every cop is a criminal, and all the singles jingles.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 23, 2016 11:23

camper88
I love SFTD; I love dogs. Where's the problem?

Just as every cat is a criminal
And all the squirrels taints
As I chase my tail
Just call me Lucifer (or Lucy or Lucky),
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint
(Whoo whoo, whoo whoo -- whoo let the dogs out)

Brilliant.

We might call him/her "Lucy - Fur" 'if it's a very hairy dog..)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 23, 2016 12:52

I'm Free currently being used to flog cider in the UK.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 23, 2016 12:58

Deltics
flog cider

--that made my day! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

( man, I wish we had some new animated emojis eye rolling smiley )

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:58

Pet Store TV commercial I wouldn't buy the stuff................

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:59

I'm Free currently being used to flog cider in the UK I would buy the stuff...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-24 00:12 by NICOS.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 23, 2016 23:59

It almost seems that the ad agency was clueless as to what the song is actually about and just liked the catchy "Please allow me ... pleased to meet you...." bit to fit the visual.

woo woo boo hoo

HBK

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 24, 2016 23:13

"Walking The Dog" would have been a much better choice

Date: June 25, 2016 07:56

eeah! Just saw a 2nd version of this commercial -- guess you'd have to be into this film to really "get" why the song is appropriate for the commercial smiling smiley

Posted by: Wolfsbane ()
Date: June 25, 2016 10:43

I think it appropriate...especially if you've ever met my gf's chihuahua.

They even created a special nail polish in honor of the spawn of Satan.

nail polish

Sympathy is definitely his song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-25 10:47 by Wolfsbane.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 16, 2016 03:58

How did I miss this thread? It just came on TV and I'm so miffed that, even though I'm out of town and eating huge roaming fees, I had to log in to check and grumble. [Grumble]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 16, 2016 04:06

Saw the ad a few weeks ago...I complained to my daughter about how silly it was to use the song that way. She looked at me like I'm an idiot and said, "they're supposed to be BAD dogs, Mom." Bad dogs that look really cute. Oh well, the Stones were bad boys that looked really cute too. cool smiley

Date: July 16, 2016 04:12

saw it again on tv last night...horrible stuff.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 16, 2016 06:11

I saw it on TV just recently too; I forget what I was watching but it is a bit astounding indeed.

But one has to love pets, our fellow creatures on this earth; so, it's not like it's a beer or soup commercial or whatever. It would look just as out of place in a commercial for those products.

Date: July 16, 2016 18:10

From the sublime to the ridonculous - just watching the coverage of Drumph's pending announcement of his running mate (spoiler alert - we know) and the empty stage and lectern are showing... with YCAGWYW playing loudly in background. I'll restrict my comments to the musical issue. Hell No!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 16, 2016 19:01

Interesting that when Uncle Allen was in charge of ABKCO very few of the Stones work got licensed out for films or commercials, They were not short of offers either.He regarded the practice as potentially cheapening the work of the artist.
The times they are a changing.

Date: July 16, 2016 19:03

SomeTorontoGirl
From the sublime to the ridonculous - just watching the coverage of Drumph's pending announcement of his running mate (spoiler alert - we know) and the empty stage and lectern are showing... with YCAGWYW playing loudly in background. I'll restrict my comments to the musical issue. Hell No!

ha...and they just played heart of stone after the announcement.

drumpf loves the stones!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 16, 2016 19:17

treaclefingers
SomeTorontoGirl

ha...and they just played heart of stone after the announcement.

drumpf loves the stones!

Paul Begala on CNN just had a similar reaction over the nonsensical playing of YCAWYW before introducing his running mate. Kinda like saying your wife is okay, but you wish you could have married someone else.

Date: July 16, 2016 20:42

And they were playing Tell Me when I surfed thru later. (Didn't have the stomach to watch it all unspool live.) That's not very Respectable - but that song might be more fitting.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 28, 2016 04:00

Petsmart now has this other ad,

"You're My Best Friend" by Queen, maybe it works, seems more apropos at the least.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2091
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home