Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Flowers
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 3, 2018 04:49

Well, a haphazard rush job while the band was preoccupied, right? But still so great.

Always interested me that the "stem" to Brian's picture had no leaves.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2018 05:02

Considering the time, it was quite smart of them to include LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday since they were on the BTB US release and radio hits so this gave them two hits to get people to buy it.

It wouldn't fly these days. Possibly. I dunno. How many people bought FORTY LICKS and/or FIFTY LICKS? One would think some that bought HOT ROCKS, REWIND and even/or JUMP BACK.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 3, 2018 19:42

GasLightStreet
Considering the time, it was quite smart of them to include LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday since they were on the BTB US release and radio hits so this gave them two hits to get people to buy it.

It wouldn't fly these days. Possibly. I dunno. How many people bought FORTY LICKS and/or FIFTY LICKS? One would think some that bought HOT ROCKS, REWIND and even/or JUMP BACK.

The problem for us in the U.S. was that 4 of the tracks from Flowers were then repeated again a short time later on the U.S. version of Through The Past Darkly and in addition there were fewer tracks on the U.S version than the U.K. version. It would seem to me that they could have at least included We Love You on the U.S. version of the album. It also puzzled me that popular tracks the Sympathy For The Devil and Under My Thumb were not included on either version of Through The Past Darkly.

Flowers would have been more useful to us here in the states if Let's Spend The Night Together, Ruby Tuesday and Lady Jane were omitted since they had already appeared on U.S. albums and were replaced by What To Do, Sad Day, Long, Long While and Who's Driving Your Plane which were from the same time period and had not appeared on a U.S. album yet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 19:50 by boogaloojef.

Date: March 3, 2018 23:33

boogaloojef
GasLightStreet

The problem for us in the U.S. was that 4 of the tracks from Flowers were then repeated again a short time later on the U.S. version of Through The Past Darkly and in addition there were fewer tracks on the U.S version than the U.K. version. It would seem to me that they could have at least included We Love You on the U.S. version of the album. It also puzzled me that popular tracks the Sympathy For The Devil and Under My Thumb were not included on either version of Through The Past Darkly.

Flowers would have been more useful to us here in the states if Let's Spend The Night Together, Ruby Tuesday and Lady Jane were omitted since they had already appeared on U.S. albums and were replaced by What To Do, Sad Day, Long, Long While and Who's Driving Your Plane which were from the same time period and had not appeared on a U.S. album yet.

Where there non-singles on Through The Past, Darkly at all?

Maybe that's why they omitted SFTD and UMT - they weren't singles?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2018 23:49

Cristiano Radtke
Mojo, August 2016.

Loved this, thank you.
I think Flowers, in addition to a bevy of world-classics, was the first time
I ever heard Take It Or Leave It. That one was like a magnet or something.
One of those perfect kind of Rolling Stones r&b grooves.
I know it was never a single or a big hit or anything;
but this one seemed so majestic to me...
...just a simple acoustic but somehow perfect; don't think there's an electic there.
Bill sneaks in here and there as a melodic marvel; it's just so lovely; Jack's organ is perfect.

I guess that acoustic must be double-tracked; I don't think it's a 12.
It's so warm and sweeping.

Date: March 4, 2018 00:29

There were non-singles on the U.K. Version. You Better Move On and Sittin' On A Fence. In addition, Dandelion was a b-side in the U.K.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-04 02:37 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 4, 2018 19:02

Let's think about the alternative facts of the fake news or whatever you want to call it. Here are the non-realized releases from early 1966 to summer 1967:

COULD YOU WALK ON THE WATER?
19th Nervous Breakdown; Sad Day; Looking Tired; Take It Or Leave It; Think; Mother’s Little Helper / Goin’ Home; Sittin’ On A Fence; Doncha Bother Me; Ride On, Baby.

HIGH TIDE AND GREEN GRASS
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction; The Last Time; As Tears Go By; Time Is On My Side; It’s All Over Now; Tell Me (You’re Coming Back); 19th Nervous Breakdown / Heart Of Stone; Get Off Of My Cloud; I Wanna Be Your Man; Little Red Rooster; Around And Around; Not Fade Away; Come On.

AFTERMATH
Paint It Black; Stupid Girl; Lady Jane; Under My Thumb; Doncha Bother Me; Goin’ Home / Flight 505; High And Dry; Out Of Time; It’s Not Easy; I Am Waiting; Think; What To Do.

BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
Let’s Spend The Night Together; Yesterday’s Papers; Ruby Tuesday; Connection; She Smiled Sweetly; Cool, Calm & Collected / All Sold Out; My Obsession; Who’s Been Sleeping Here?; Complicated; Miss Amanda Jones; Something Happened To Me Yesterday.

FLOWERS
We Love You; Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?; Dandelion; Long Long While; Who’s Driving Your Plane; My Girl / Back Street Girl; Please Go Home; Sad Day; Take It Or Leave It; Ride On Baby; Sittin’ On A Fence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-04 19:52 by JJHMick.

Date: March 4, 2018 22:56

JJHMick
Let's think about the alternative facts of the fake news or whatever you want to call it. Here are the non-realized releases from early 1966 to summer 1967:

COULD YOU WALK ON THE WATER?
19th Nervous Breakdown; Sad Day; Looking Tired; Take It Or Leave It; Think; Mother’s Little Helper / Goin’ Home; Sittin’ On A Fence; Doncha Bother Me; Ride On, Baby.

HIGH TIDE AND GREEN GRASS
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction; The Last Time; As Tears Go By; Time Is On My Side; It’s All Over Now; Tell Me (You’re Coming Back); 19th Nervous Breakdown / Heart Of Stone; Get Off Of My Cloud; I Wanna Be Your Man; Little Red Rooster; Around And Around; Not Fade Away; Come On.

AFTERMATH
Paint It Black; Stupid Girl; Lady Jane; Under My Thumb; Doncha Bother Me; Goin’ Home / Flight 505; High And Dry; Out Of Time; It’s Not Easy; I Am Waiting; Think; What To Do.

BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
Let’s Spend The Night Together; Yesterday’s Papers; Ruby Tuesday; Connection; She Smiled Sweetly; Cool, Calm & Collected / All Sold Out; My Obsession; Who’s Been Sleeping Here?; Complicated; Miss Amanda Jones; Something Happened To Me Yesterday.

FLOWERS
We Love You; Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?; Dandelion; Long Long While; Who’s Driving Your Plane; My Girl / Back Street Girl; Please Go Home; Sad Day; Take It Or Leave It; Ride On Baby; Sittin’ On A Fence.

I believe Flowers was released before We Love You and Dandelion were recorded. They would have had to hold back the release.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home