Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Songs You Heard The Live Version Of First
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2016 19:12

Sympathy For The Devil; I first heard the Ya Ya's version and fell in love with it before I discovered Beggars's Banquet. When I first put on Banquet I was shocked to hear the African drums; I was expecting an electric guitar intro! I still prefer the Ya Ya's version.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Songs You Heard The Live Version Of First
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 18, 2016 19:22

midnight rambler...on hot rocks of course! best intro for a newbie.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 18, 2016 19:24

Rambler on Ya Yas
Sympathy on LYL

Date: June 18, 2016 19:25

treaclefingers

Yep, well that's one where pretty much any live version trumps the studio cut!

Date: June 18, 2016 19:30

Actually, having first heard Ya Ya's as a wide-eyed 10 year old in 1970, every song on it was a first listen! I heard all those studio versions shorty thereafter...

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 18, 2016 20:24

"Rough Justice" outside the rehearsals at Fenway Park in 2006. It was awesome.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 18, 2016 21:00

everthing off ya yams with exception of jjf, honky tonk, and street fighting man

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 18, 2016 21:07

Well, not the live version ( that is, from a released concert album), but one live version: On September 6, 1970, "Dead Flowers" was in the setlist, when I was to my first Stones concert in Gothenburg.

Date: June 19, 2016 21:17

Shattered
Let Me Go
Fingerprint File
IYCRM
Happy
Tumbling Dice

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 19, 2016 21:30

Start Me Up
Bitch
Sad Sad Sad
Undercover of the Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Terrifying
Ruby Tuesday
Salt of the Earth
Rock and a Hard Place
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little Red Rooster
Can't Be Seen
Happy
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash

This show changed me into a full Stones fan. And I only listened to it on a casette.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 19, 2016 21:46

bought my first tape which was love you live in 1987 so all those songs i heard first before the studio version with the exception of maybe jj flash and brown sugar.

Date: June 19, 2016 21:55

Stonesfan2146
Start Me Up
Bitch
Sad Sad Sad
Undercover of the Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Terrifying
Ruby Tuesday
Salt of the Earth
Rock and a Hard Place
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little Red Rooster
Can't Be Seen
Happy
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash

This show changed me into a full Stones fan. And I only listened to it on a casette.

Atlantic City thumbs up

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 19, 2016 23:32

is Boogie Chillen missing ? for the Altantic city show

Date: June 20, 2016 00:59

djgab
is Boogie Chillen missing ? for the Altantic city show

Yes.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 20, 2016 01:26

What I really like to do and it is rare, is to hear a song live, in person, for the first time and then have it go on to become one of your favorites.

Tough to do, especially with the Stones.
You have to purposely not listen to new albums etc.. to avoid hearing them.I was able to do it in 2012 with Doom and Gloom and One More Shot in Brooklyn, except for a few snippets. Have been much more successful at doing it with lesser known artists through the years like Tedeschi Trucks, Lucinda Williams, etc. Cool way to experience new music from favorite artists though.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 20, 2016 06:02

Most songs on LYL.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 20, 2016 20:56

treaclefingers

ditto for me ... i've posted before how i don't really appreciate the LIB studio version enough, because I had Hot Rocks first and the live version is so much more powerful.

Date: June 20, 2016 21:27

The whole "Got Live" album. So "Under my Thumb" especially I had a very different picture of. It took me a while to recognize the depth of the original. I was very young, and everything had to be loud and fast.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 20, 2016 21:57

'Start Me Up'
'Sad Sad Sad'
'Tumbling Dice'
'Rock and a Hard Place'
'Happy'
'You Can't Always Get What You Want'
'It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)'
'If You Can't Rock Me'
'Thru and Thru'
'When the Whip Comes Down'
'Slipping Away'
'Star Star'
'I Just Want to Make Love to You'
'Neighbours'
'Worried About You'
'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)'
'Before They Make Me Run'
'Respectable'
'Stray Cat Blues'
'Love in Vain'
'Carol'
'Live With Me'

Olly.

Date: June 20, 2016 22:54

When Foreigner opened for the Stones in 1978, I heard Hot Blooded before the single came out. Only non-Stones example I can think of.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:09

The main ones would be Out Of Control, Neighbours and Worried About You. Had never heard any of them until I did on their respective live albums (No Security and Live Licks). Out Of Control floored me. I don't know much of their post-Tattoo You work so that was such a breath of fresh air that they actually had a song that good that worked that well live. Neighbours and Worried About You I guess were more deep cuts that I had probably heard once or twice before but never stuck out to me till I heard them on that live album, when I thought they were both excellent. I can rarely ever listen to the studio recordings since I heard the live ones first.

As for others, I know all the Steel Wheels songs on Flashpoint I had never heard until that live album. I do think they are all a bit better on there, but not as much as something like Out Of Control. Just not skipworthy like I initially thought when buying that CD. Only other one I can think of was She Was Hot on Shine A Light. I have to imagine I'd heard it before, but I guess I might not have really liked it till I heard it on there. But I'm a little fuzzy on that. Those first three are my go twos that I heard live first and loved.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 20, 2016 23:57

As others have stated "Midnight Rambler" was on Hot Rocks when I first heard it. To this day it's still my favorite version of the song.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:05

Well, I heard Love In Vain, Live With Me and Midnight Rambler, live, before the album was released. Does that count? Thinking about it now: I saw the 4th live performance of LIV and MR; the 2nd of LWM.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:38

I think I heard all of LOVE YOU LIVE before I heard most of IORR...so..specifically If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File etc...

Crazy Mama.

Stray Cat Blues!!!!!!!!

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:56

While I wasn't one of the lucky ones, "Loving Cup" was played live three years before the studio release and "Worried About You" was played live four years before the studio release. Those must be the record-holders among original band material.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2016 04:37

Goin' to a Go Go and Twenty Flight Rock.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: June 21, 2016 05:23

Reelin and Rockin

As the saying goes......Chuck invented it and the Stones perfected it...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 21, 2016 06:03

I saw the Stones play Let It Rock, Sweet Little Sixteen, Twenty Flight Rock and Going to a Go-Go first. Then again, they never recorded studio versions of them.

As for others, it's not all that unusual. I saw Neil Young play Too Far Gone, Country Home and Like a Hurricane in 1976. Like a Hurricane was released the following year. Too Far Gone didn't make on to an album until 1989, and Country Home didn't until 1990.

I taped an FM broadcast of a 1977 Grateful Dead show where they played Estimated Prophet, Samson and Delilah, and Terrapin Station a few months ahead of the release of the Terrapin Station album.

Elvis Costello used to play new songs live routinely ahead of the release of their studio versions. He played a bunch from Get Happy on his early 1979 US tour, a year ahead of the album. I saw his 1984 solo tour where he played a bunch of songs from Goodbye Cruel World months ahead of the release of that album, including a show-closing Peace in Our Time. The solo versions were much better than the album.

I saw a few Husker Du shows where they played their next album while they were touring their most recent album. They were on a bit of a roll their for a few years in the mid-80s.

The Allman Brothers Band played nearly all of Hittin' the Note live for two years prior to the release of that album in 2003.

Pink Floyd played Shine on You Crazy Diamond and Have a Cigar for nearly a year prior to the release of Wish You Were Here in 1975. They also played early versions of Sheep (then known as Raving and Drooling) and Dogs (You Gotta Be Crazy) in 1974-75.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home