Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Orlando shooting victims in memory
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2016 17:33

This thread is in memory of those who sadly was killed or seriously injured in the Orlando terror attack.

It is a tragic event every time terror happens. I wish we could stop talking about it, because when we talk about the terror they - the terrorists - sort of win, they get our attention. Still, we are all angry and sad. We can't just pretend it did not happen.

Please do not post policical statements here. This is an IQ test. Please respect the variety and diversity of the IORR readers. We are people of all races, religions, genders and preferences.

There was a Norwegian terrorisit who killed 77 people in my own country Norway on July 22, 2011, five years ago. It made me angry and sad, but I did not post hate about white Christian people, even if he claimed to be a crusader and so on.

Right now there are football supporters in France who are seriously hospitalized because hooligans went bananas before, during and after the England vs Russia game. I can't start hate campaigns against football supporters from Russia, just because there are a few insane hooligans loose. I love football and I know that most football fans are peaceful great people who love the sports.

Let us be smarter than the mob. Let us just leave the terror fighting to the joy of life. As long as we don't start hating then they have lost. If we start hating then they have won.

I have such great memories from Orlando during my Zip Code Tour visit. My deepest sympathy goes to those who today are suffering from this brutal and unacceptable terror.

Bjornulf

Re: OT: Orlando shooting victims in memory
Posted by: annajulia ()
Date: June 13, 2016 18:02

Thank you! The previous thread about the Orlando-shooting was really toxic and made me quite uncomfortable, this is such a better way to approach and discuss this matter.
I too give all my sympathies to all those who were killed or are going to be affected by this in one way or another.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 13, 2016 18:58

Please respect the variety and diversity of the IORR readers. We are people of all races, religions, genders and preferences.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 13, 2016 19:42

Thank you, bv. What NICOS noted, same here.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 13, 2016 20:05

My sincere condolances to the Family of the Victims of Orlando shooting

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 20:13

people were killed just because they were gay
it's terrific so all my sympathy goes to them and their families.
Be brave !

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 13, 2016 20:35

RIP and respect to the victims.
Respectfully, remember that the perpetrators win when we don't name and confront them and their ideology. If you wish to post your political viewpoint on this, please allow us to post our viewpoints.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 13, 2016 20:52

wonderboy
RIP and respect to the victims.
Respectfully, remember that the perpetrators win when we don't name and confront them and their ideology. If you wish to post your political viewpoint on this, please allow us to post our viewpoints.

There are other Stones boards out there that might have different ways of discussing matters, and you can go post comments there. Just a thought. I'm still not sure why anyone needs to discusss politics and world events on an entertainment board when the web is full of wall to wall news coverage of the bad news of the world, along with ways to comment with varying views. When the real world does intrude due to people's overwhelming emotions, it should be done with respect and with sympathy for the victims and their families. That is the main concern, not the other things.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 21:20

There are no words to describe such a horrible event, and the anguish it brings. I was at the Citrus Bowl concert, and I have an audience recording of the show on my iPod. That night was a testament of love and belonging. The crowd was one of the most excited, yet pleasant and agreeable I've ever seen. People from all walks of life came together to enjoy what might be the last best chance to see the Stones in this city. When I think of Orlando, I think of that night, or the various wonderful vacations at Disney World or Universal. It should not be a code word to remember a bigotry and hatred, both during and after.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2016 21:37

There was a thread filled with hate and political statements on the shooting here on IORR. Many posts were offending. I deleted it because it would have taken me a long time to clean up. If you want to discuss politics related to this shooting, please do it elsewhere.

By experience any discussion on politics or religion will turn into a fight within hours, unless heavily moderated. I don't have time to babysit and moderate all the posts on all IORR threads. Feel free to discuss politics on the thousands and millions of sites on Internet, but not on IORR.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:18

In addition, there is substantial social media available to vent political or world frustration. Drudge Report, NY Papers or even Local Papers, which have internet domains, just to mention a few alternative .

I started the ill-advised thread. Poorly entitled as well. However, at the time my frustration with the situation was genuine.

Once the controversial posts started rolling in - I immediately apologized to the moderators ( and all) and asked that the thread be removed. Yeah, it's an emotional issue whereas the sympathy should first lie with the victims and loved ones and not vengeance.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:28

bv
There was a thread filled with hate and political statements on the shooting here on IORR. Many posts were offending. I deleted it because it would have taken me a long time to clean up. If you want to discuss politics related to this shooting, please do it elsewhere.

By experience any discussion on politics or religion will turn into a fight within hours, unless heavily moderated. I don't have time to babysit and moderate all the posts on all IORR threads. Feel free to discuss politics on the thousands and millions of sites on Internet, but not on IORR.

thumbs up

Once one side starts, the other side feels it needs equal time. It never fails so not wading into the deep end is the best choice.

Date: June 14, 2016 02:46

treaclefingers
bv

thumbs up

Once one side starts, the other side feels it needs equal time. It never fails so not wading into the deep end is the best choice.

Agreed I would like to add that this subject even spills over into the workplace. Once stances are made via an e-mail conversation, outcomes or consequences are unpredictable even if intentions or proposed business solutions are good natured and carefully considered. However, one cannot predict the thoughts or response of any particular audient.

At my workplace, there are folks that even keep Skype off completely.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:55

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 14, 2016 03:26

Well stated Bjornulf.
Thanks for posting.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 14, 2016 05:33

MisterDDDD
Well stated Bjornulf.
Thanks for posting.

Yes very appropriate.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 14, 2016 14:17

MisterDDDD
Well stated Bjornulf.
Thanks for posting.

thumbs up

Date: June 15, 2016 09:00

tragedy in orlando is on a horrible roll. first the 'voice' singer murdered after her concert I think Friday night, then the night club massacre, and this evening a toddler at Disney World pulled into the lagoon by an alligator...father desperately tried to pull the child away but to no avail. Search has been on for about 4 hours.

horrible.

Date: June 15, 2016 23:40

It seems to me that Disney would have Man-made or controlled lakes, But then again, alligators travel through canals, sewage systems etc...

Date: June 16, 2016 02:53

Chris Fountain
It seems to me that Disney would have Man-made or controlled lakes, But then again, alligators travel through canals, sewage systems etc...

there's gonna be some sort of a lawsuit...man made lagoon full of alligators. there were signs that said 'no swimming', but nothing alerting people to danger or live alligators. the kid was two and wading in a foot of water.

absolutely horrific stuff...it was a tragedy that was going to happen at some point, and this poor kid will be the reason things will change.

Date: June 16, 2016 03:23

Exactly. A sign indicating " No Swimming" should be rationalized. If you go to the beach, Lifeguard will put a Flag color describing the potential threat such as rip currents, sharks or even worse jelly fish.

Disney is accountable for this tragic incident. One frequent guest even stated that at night Lake Buena Vista reminded him of Jurassic Park.

There are alligators everywhere in this state . Now we also have Pythons. However, I think the Gators have the upper hand versus the Pythons. Not many Python reports as of late.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 16, 2016 03:29

Chris Fountain
Exactly. A sign indicating " No Swimming" should be rationalized. If you go to the beach, Lifeguard will put a Flag color describing the potential threat such as rip currents, sharks or even worse jelly fish.

Disney is accountable for this tragic incident. One frequent guest even stated that at night Lake Buena Vista reminded him of Jurassic Park.

There are alligators everywhere in this state . Now we also have Pythons. However, I think the Gators have the upper hand versus the Pythons. Not many Python reports as of late.

There was a report in a british newspaper last month that someone had let some young (potentially) man eating Nile crocodiles loose in the everglades..........I don't know how reliable that report was though..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-16 03:29 by EddieByword.

Date: June 16, 2016 03:33

EddieByword
Chris Fountain

There was a report in a british newspaper last month that someone had let some young (potentially) man eating Nile crocodiles loose in the everglades..........I don't know how reliable that report was though..............
If they are saltwater crocodiles then this could lead to many issues with folks living in the Florida Keys.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 16, 2016 04:37

Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain

If they are saltwater crocodiles then this could lead to many issues with folks living in the Florida Keys.

Not typically found in saltwater but can survive in brackish and delta water...........but they are huge so would be a problem to almost every type of animal (or human) life including alligators.............[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 16, 2016 05:09

A senseless attack on the LGBT community. Rest in peace to the victims and their loved ones.

Date: June 16, 2016 23:27

EddieByword
Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain

Not typically found in saltwater but can survive in brackish and delta water...........but they are huge so would be a problem to almost every type of animal (or human) life including alligators.............[en.wikipedia.org]

Check this scary story out-

[www.nydailynews.com]

Date: June 17, 2016 04:48

Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain

[www.nydailynews.com]

wow...why in the hell wouldn't Disney put up some signs, or go further to make sure alligators aren't mixing with their guests? pretty clear case of negligence when you can prove this has happened before.

heart wrenching that a 2 year old, and his family had to pay the ultimate price because disney couldn't be bothered to warn their guests.

Date: June 17, 2016 04:58

Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain
EddieByword
Chris Fountain

[www.nydailynews.com]

oh man....look at something i just came across...this is quite unbelievable, list of casualties at Disney World through the years:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 17, 2016 05:40

Never go to Florida or Oklahoma... or Texas

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 17, 2016 06:47

Good grief!! How did this compassionate tribute turn into a "Disney is irresponsible" thread?
Come on, stick with the topic!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home