Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: R.I.P. Muhammad Ali
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:41

I liked his comment "aint got nothing against the Viet Cong." Also I had to endure the misery of tolerating ill advised extended boxing career.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:47

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 4, 2016 14:24

Sad news...RIP...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 4, 2016 14:44

An incredibly gifted athlete, entertainer, and political advocate. A true legend. RIP Muhammad, you will always be the Greatest.

Drew

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:03

"Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

-Muhammad Ali-

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:08

An incredible human being who helped elevate boxing into an art form enjoyed by both sexes. I had the good fortune to meet Ali in 1990 just after his Parkinson's really set in but he was a gentleman, spoke with me and signed an autograph. God bless you big man.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:17

The Greatest - Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:33

Are there any photos of Ali with any of the Stones?

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 16:04

Such sad news of the passing of the legendary figure that he was to all.
It Was an honour to see the great man boxing . .
He was a boxer with no equal's, an entertainer,,the ultimate showman , a political activist who put his religious beliefs before the war in Vietnam and because of that was stripped of his title in 1967 ,banned from boxing for life and was threatened with a prison sentence.
We were robbed of seeing the greatest in his boxing prime but after fighting the dragonian legal system that ran America and due to public opinion he returned to the ring in 1970.
It was to take Ali 4 years to regain his world title by beating the indestructable George Foreman in Zaire in 1974.
The man who floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee was indeed one of the greatest human beings of all time .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 16:09 by stones40.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 16:24

He was an incredible man and will never be forgotten. RIP.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:16

I followed his career very closely beginning with comeback fight against Jerry Quarry in 1970. I can still very clearly remember all of the hype surrounding the March 8, 1971 "Fight of the Century" with Joe Frazier. I stayed up way past my bedtime on a school night to listen to it on the radio. Actually, there was no live home TV or radio broadcast, but there was a local black radio station that was allowed to do round-by-round summaries. They'd say, "And the fifth round has just been completed, and here is a brief summary of what just happened in the fifth round." Then they would tell you what happened and talk about it for three minutes until the sixth round summary came across on the teletype machine. I cried when they said Ali had lost. I cried five years ago when Joe Frazier died. I'm not even sure why, really.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 17:29 by tatters.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:36

mrsoandso

I believe there's one from Miami beach from 64 when the Stones were on tour and Ali was in training for a fight and they visited his gym. Maybe more than one. I'm sure someone here has them.

Date: June 4, 2016 17:39

Who remembers when Ali "fought" a Japanese wrestler who laid on his back, kicking Ali in the shins for 15 rounds? It was all fun and games until Ali wound up with blood clots in his legs, forever effecting his mobility.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 17:43 by tatters.

Date: June 4, 2016 17:41

Rokyfan
mrsoandso

I believe there's one from Miami beach from 64 when the Stones were on tour and Ali was in training for a fight and they visited his gym. Maybe more than one. I'm sure someone here has them.

That was the Beatles.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:23

Rokyfan
mrsoandso

Here it is!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:25

tatters
Rokyfan
mrsoandso

That was the Beatles.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 18:26 by Deltics.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:31

tatters
Rokyfan
I believe there's one from Miami beach from 64 when the Stones were on tour and Ali was in training for a fight and they visited his gym. .

That was the Beatles.

Some footage of the beating with the Meetles, meeting with the Beatles.

Just before the meeting, John suggested that they not meet with Clay because he was a bigmouth and was going to lose, and that they should instead get their pictures taken with Liston. Then Clay burst in the room and completely charmed them--knocked 'em out, one might say.

Rolling Stone wrote about the meeting.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 18:33 by camper88.

Date: June 4, 2016 18:36

Liston refused to meet with them because he thought they were "queers." They went to see Clay as a second choice. Ironically, it's Liston, not Clay, who appears on the cover of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 18:54 by tatters.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:41

Very sad sad news.
RIP Ali

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:44

One of my heroes. Rest in peace, Ali. Here is a picture with another boxing hero
of mine, Ingemar Johansson (1932-2009). Two champs on one picture:

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:54

Ronnie's portraits

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: June 4, 2016 18:57

Another two champs on one picture. Mid-seventies, maybe?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 4, 2016 19:08

R.I.P. Champ....my Father once met Ali (after he was retired from boxing)...he went up to him, shook his hand and said: "Hi, I'm from the Joe Louis era"...Ali looked down at my Dad and said: "You look like you're from the Civil War Era"

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 4, 2016 19:13

Rollin' Stoner
R.I.P. Champ....my Father once met Ali (after he was retired from boxing)...he went up to him, shook his hand and said: "Hi, I'm from the Joe Louis era"...Ali looked down at my Dad and said: "You look like you're from the Civil War Era"
grinning smiley Oh man, that is golden. It is not just anyone who was insulted by the Champ, that is golden.

I saw Mr Ali on the Johnny Carson re-run hour a few weeks back and he was all over Johnny with the old guy insults, it was too funny... and Johnny was loving it.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 4, 2016 20:08

RIP Muhammad Ali

You was, you are and you will be forever The Greatest Boxer of all Time!!!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 4, 2016 20:11

Ladykiller
RIP Muhammad Ali

You was, you are and you will be forever The Greatest Boxer of all Time!!!

Actually that is Sugar Ray Robinson but Ali was close.

Date: June 4, 2016 20:14

mickschix
Ali was my first HERO! I was 9 and I used to watch his boxing matches with my Dad, who was a boxer in the Navy. He was Cassius Clay then. I remember him winning Olympic Gold. There will never be another like him. Parkinson's Disease is hideous and really, more money needs to be pumped into finding a cure for this disease.
He was a man who stood by his beliefs even when faced with stiff opposition. He would NOT fight in Vietnam for damn good reasons. It was against his religious beliefs and for that he lost his title and served time. That sentence took 3 years away from his boxing career but he was determined to reclain his title....and he did in 1974 beating Foreman. I could go on and on but I'll end by saying this took a piece of my heart. Rest in peace, Muhammad Ali, you don't have to fight anymore.sad smiley

Ali was not going to fight in Vietnam. I don't know why people push that theory. he would have at the most giving exhibitions like other fighters did during war time. I give Ali more credit because of that.

Date: June 4, 2016 20:21

Sugar Ray wasn't in heavyweight. This is a matter of choice. Certainly Ali was (is) the world's most renowned boxer anyway.

Date: June 4, 2016 20:26

Stoneage
Sugar Ray wasn't in heavyweight. This is a matter of choice. Certainly Ali was (is) the world's most renowned boxer anyway.

I am not sure what being a heavyweight has to do with it. I don't think you will find a poll by people who know boxing who would rank Ali over Robinson. Not knocking Ali because him and Duran at their best are the two best fighters I have seen while I have followed boxing.

Date: June 4, 2016 20:31

Usually you rank boxers in their respective weight classes. And Ali is considered the number one heavyweight champion by most experts. Personally I think Joe Louis is still number one. But that's another matter.
But Ali was by far the biggest personality in boxing. No one can compete with him there.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home