Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Some Girls and thereafter...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 5, 2016 06:49

Some Girls is a sonically coherent album, with studio magic creating an overall sound. Just listen to the bonus on SG Deluxe and they simply don't fit. Excepting Claudine. If you substitute the throwaway Lies with the similar Claudine, it's a slightly better album.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 5, 2016 07:03

24FPS
Some Girls is a sonically coherent album, with studio magic creating an overall sound. Just listen to the bonus on SG Deluxe and they simply don't fit. Excepting Claudine. If you substitute the throwaway Lies with the similar Claudine, it's a slightly better album.

There is no throwaway stuff at all on SG, so I would not accept any substitutes... However, the same cannot be said about ER which would cleary benefit from replacing some tracks with better stuff like Claudine.

Date: June 5, 2016 10:54

IMO, Emotional Rescue has more facets musically than Some Girls.

Both are very diverse records, actually - more than people give them credit for,

With the exception of Black And Blue, there just isn't a better-sounding album than ER in the Stones catalogue, imo.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:11

DandelionPowderman

Both are very diverse records, actually - more than people give them credit for,

With the exception of Black And Blue, there just isn't a better-sounding album than ER in the Stones catalogue, imo.

unfortunately, the songwriting ....

Date: June 5, 2016 11:25

The songwriting is top notch.

Dance
Send It To Me
Let Me Go
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

are all excellent if one, for some reason, don't regard fast rockers good songwriting smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:29

DandelionPowderman

Dance
Send It To Me
Let Me Go
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

are all excellent if one, for some reason, don't regard fast rockers good songwriting smoking smiley

Dance has a great groove. the lyrics are awful. jagger stopped bothering with lyrics a lot of the time at this point.

Send it To Me is silly from a songwriting perspective. it's the start of what could be a good song, but unfinished.

Let Me Go is unimaginative, but as opposed to the 2 above songs, it is a genuinely finished song.

Down In the Hole is just a blues re-tread. no points for songwriting.

Emotional Rescue is good songwriting.

She's So Cold is also pretty good.

All About You the best written song on the album. complex, meaningful lyrics, and the music is unique, catching, and surprises the listener.

indeed, all about you highlights the weaknesses of the other songs.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 5, 2016 15:03

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Dance
Send It To Me
Let Me Go
Down In The Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

Dance has a great groove. the lyrics are awful. jagger stopped bothering with lyrics a lot of the time at this point.

Send it To Me is silly from a songwriting perspective. it's the start of what could be a good song, but unfinished.

Let Me Go is unimaginative, but as opposed to the 2 above songs, it is a genuinely finished song.

Down In the Hole is just a blues re-tread. no points for songwriting.

Emotional Rescue is good songwriting.

She's So Cold is also pretty good.

All About You the best written song on the album. complex, meaningful lyrics, and the music is unique, catching, and surprises the listener.

indeed, all about you highlights the weaknesses of the other songs.

I like Let Me Go and She's So Cold. The rest I can live without.

The lyrics in Emotional Rescue are dumb and Jagger's falsetto bothers me.

I will be your knight in shining armor
Riding across the desert with a fine Arab charger

Really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 15:04 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2016 15:06

Yeah I agree with ya ... he should rip off the armour and get a decent tan

ROCKMAN

Date: June 5, 2016 15:51

DandelionPowderman

All good and well, but that's just theoretical and does not take anything away from the fact that after SG, ER felt like a bit of a letdown. And I'm not the only one, I remember that at the time, this feeling was shared by many. I would even go so far to say that this was common sense amongst Stones fans back then.

ER took the "Disco element" too far with the title track in particular (which sounded ridiculous at the time) and Dance, which, while quite good, still was no Miss You, She's So Cold and Let Me Go sounded a bit lame at first and only came to life on stage in 1981/1982, Where The Boys Go - ridiculous again, same for Indian Girl, Summer Romance - quite good but weaker than Whip and Respectable, Down In The Hole - standout track for me back then which tells a lot, and All About You - a bit of a snoozefest, not bad really, but no Coming Down Again or whatever either. Oh, I forgot Send It To Me - probably for a reason... Good start, but there's this ridiculous element again. Sounds like a reggae parody. Parody stuff like that can work, like Far Away Eyes. But Send It To Me simply does not work. Probably because it was not even meant as a parody, it just sounded like one.

If the songs are not there, they're not there, nothing can help, no good sound or production tricks or whatever.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 16:20 by alimente.

Date: June 5, 2016 16:21

Not a fact, your opinion, alimente smiling smiley

It might have been a letdown back then, but some records are bigger than the fashion waves. ER is one of those, imo.

And Dance has nothing to do with disco. Try funk.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 5, 2016 16:47

DandelionPowderman

The problem is that better-sounding does not translate to a good record. If they would have included some of the tracks that ended up on Tattoo You and the Some Girls deluxe edition, Emotional Rescue would have been a better record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 16:53 by boogaloojef.

Date: June 5, 2016 17:07

DandelionPowderman
Not a fact, your opinion, alimente smiling smiley

It might have been a letdown back then, but some records are bigger than the fashion waves. ER is one of those, imo.

And Dance has nothing to do with disco. Try funk.

Funk? Too big a word for Dance! A bit of another try riding on the Disco wave back then, just like the title song. But it's really not bad, it's just no Miss You.

All in all, the album as a whole sounds a bit like they were trying to repeat the success of Some Girls with a similar concept, with just a little shift from SG's punkishness to a more dancable emphasis, but where SG sounds heartfelt, soulful and unique as a cohesive artistic statement, ER lacks the same level of vigor and focus.

Date: June 5, 2016 17:09

boogaloojef
The problem is that better-sounding does not translate to a good record. If they would have included some of the tracks that ended up on Tattoo You and the Some Girls deluxe edition, Emotional Rescue would have been a better record.

And that's it in a nutshell. You nailed it.

Date: June 5, 2016 17:26

I'm not sure if No Use In Crying or Heaven are better than their "cousins" on ER.

Love both of them, though.

If people only hear 12 bar blues in Down In The Hole or don't hear the fantastic playing and groove on Dance, that's their problem.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 5, 2016 17:28

alimente
DandelionPowderman

All good and well, but that's just theoretical and does not take anything away from the fact that after SG, ER felt like a bit of a letdown.

I disagree.

I recall another thread asking for ratings of Stones albums. I gave Some Girls 5/10 and Emotional Rescue 7/10 and I stand by those ratings.

Olly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2016 17:47

Add me to the list of people who thought ER was a letdown after Some Girls.

Dance (Pt. 1) - highlight.
Summer Romance - average.
Send It to Me - ridiculous.
Let Me Go - simple enough party rocker.
Indian Girl - silly almost unlistenable.
Where the Boys Go - bleh
Down in the Hole - average Stones blues, thought it was the highlight when ER was released.
Emotional Rescue - nonsensical joke - from the bass line to the falsetto.
She's So Cold - nice enough, but overrated.
All About You - lazy Keith sounds bored, kind of a dud.

I was much happier when the Sucking in the '70's comp. was released less than a year later.

Date: June 5, 2016 18:46

DandelionPowderman
I'm not sure if No Use In Crying or Heaven are better than their "cousins" on ER.

If people only hear 12 bar blues in Down In The Hole or don't hear the fantastic playing and groove on Dance, that's their problem.

Well, if the majority of the other tracks on ER had the quality of Down In The Hole and Dance, I would not have any problems with this album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 5, 2016 18:54

Looking at the ER-tracklist I cant help but thinking every song is great-very good (except Indian Girl which is ridiculous indeed).

Have a look at the B-side - one great tune after another.

Send It To Me & Where The Boys Go arent silly, imo, but funny. Especially Where The Boys Go is a great track, very enjoyable.

The song ER (although it contains some crap lyric-wise) is much more impressive than Miss You. The very first seconds alone make it an almost-classic.

Down In The Hole is an outstanding track, show me a better one on SG... Keith´s All About You is one of his finest songs ever (I dont think he has done a better one since then). Dance is a groove-fest through and through...

If you combine the best tracks of SG, ER & TY you maybe get the best Stones-record ever, I guess - I´ll try and see if that´s really true.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 5, 2016 19:01

Everything is turning into gold. Great great track. Everything is there. The groove, the bass, Jagger's vocals. The guitars. One of the best. Great summer song too!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2016 19:06

barbabang
Everything is turning into gold. Great great track. Everything is there. The groove, the bass, Jagger's vocals. The guitars. One of the best. Great summer song too!

Indeed it is. thumbs up

Date: June 5, 2016 19:52

alimente
DandelionPowderman

Well, if the majority of the other tracks on ER had the quality of Down In The Hole and Dance, I would not have any problems with this album.

IMO, She's So Cold, All About You and ER are even better, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I love this album smiling smiley

Date: June 5, 2016 22:28

Hairball
barbabang

Indeed it is. thumbs up

Absolutely. That's the sound of "my Stones", the sound that really grabs me, not this polished production sound of Emotional Rescue (the song). Killer track. Has this raw feeling of the Some Girls album. Should have been on there and not wasted as a b-side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 22:35 by alimente.

Date: June 5, 2016 22:43

HMS
Looking at the ER-tracklist I cant help but thinking every song is great-very good (except Indian Girl which is ridiculous indeed).

Send It To Me & Where The Boys Go arent silly, imo, but funny. Especially Where The Boys Go is a great track, very enjoyable.

The song ER (although it contains some crap lyric-wise) is much more impressive than Miss You. The very first seconds alone make it an almost-classic.

Down In The Hole is an outstanding track, show me a better one on SG... Keith´s All About You is one of his finest songs ever (I dont think he has done a better one since then). Dance is a groove-fest through and through...

If you combine the best tracks of SG, ER & TY you maybe get the best Stones-record ever, I guess - I´ll try and see if that´s really true.

I say leave SG alone and combine the best tracks of ER, TY and SG deluxe and you definitely get a record that's on the same level than SG, if not even better. But don't forget to include Think I'm Going Mad!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 6, 2016 17:48

The Some Girls album re-established the relevancy of the Stones in an era that was dealing with disco and punk. It was a bright light shining when released for me. I was 25 at the time. Forthcoming Stones records were good and enjoyable IMO, but Some Girls raised the bar and said most importantly that these boys can still get it on. Should have been a double album given what they had in the can which would have elevated it to a higher status. Hey, at least we got the boots from those sessions, which are of course great on their own!

One of my favorite Stones records and the supporting tour sure had some powerful moments as well since it was a no frills band out there without any horns. Played the Girls live in Texas Blu Ray loud for some friends over the weekend, and it never gets anything less than the wow! response.

Just got the new Totally Stripped deluxe combo in the mail. Looking forward to diving into that soon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2016 17:57

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
alimente
HMS
Monsoon Ragoon
TY is much better IMO

Yes indeed.

If you´d consider SG, TY & ER a trilogy, ER would be the best.

It isn't a "trilogy" at all, because TY was cobbled together mostly from studio leftovers from the past decade, and the fact that the outcome was so much stronger than the last album of (nearly) all-new material - ER, of course - is telling and a clear indication that the Stones new-found creativity with SG was already beginning to dry.

TATTOO YOU was not mostly cobbled together from studio leftovers, it is entirely put together from studio leftovers.

Mostly with tracks from sessions at Pathe Marconi over a two year period, hence it's got a cohesive sound reminiscent of those two other albums.

That's correct, most of them were recorded at Pathe Marconi. 7 of them.

Start Me Up - Pathe Marconi SOME GIRLS
Hang Fire - Pathe Marconi SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE
Slave - Mobile Record Unit BLACK AND BLUE
Little T & A - Pathe Marconi SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE
Black Limousine - Pathe Marconi SOME GIRLS
Neighbours - Pathe Marconi EMOTIONAL RESCUE
Worried About You - Mobile Record Unit BLACK AND BLUE
Tops - Dynamic Sound Studios GOATS HEAD SOUP
Heaven - Pathe Marconi EMOTIONAL RESCUE
No Use In Crying - Pathe Marconi EMOTIONAL RESCUE
Waiting On A Friend - Dynamic Sound Studios GOATS HEAD SOUP

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 6, 2016 18:11

Very interesting to see the variation: what is a highlight to somebody is crap to somebody else and the other way round. That's good because, as it was commented above, these are just our opinions, not facts.

I personally can't remember when I last listened to ER or DW while I listened to GS last week. And that's a fact.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 6, 2016 18:32

HMS

I agree with you...good description of the ER album.
Just your combination theory is strange...you can combine anything and the result will not be an original Stones album but some kind of something...

Date: June 6, 2016 19:23

MartinB
Very interesting to see the variation: what is a highlight to somebody is crap to somebody else and the other way round. That's good because, as it was commented above, these are just our opinions, not facts.

I personally can't remember when I last listened to ER or DW while I listened to GS last week. And that's a fact.

GS the compilation album, or Some Girls? winking smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 6, 2016 19:24

Well I think Some Girls is a great, but then went down bit with Emotional Rescue. But I know some love the Emotional Rescue album, so I don't know. Tattoo You I think is a bit better, with far more distinctive tracks like 'Start Me Up,' 'Hang Fire,' and 'Waiting on a Friend.'

Frankly, I stopped listening to Stones albums after 'Undercover' and prefer those from 1964 to Some Girls...still, I alaways wonder what Stones fans preferences, opinions and taste are, so I responded.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 6, 2016 21:10

shortfatfanny

Just your combination theory is strange...you can combine anything and the result will not be an original Stones album but some kind of something...

Indeed, but most SG-ER-TY-tracks were recorded at the very same sessions, weren´t they? - so I think a combination of the best songs would probably make more sense than usual.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home