Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First MUSIC you recall hearing
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 29, 2016 12:53

For me, it was Tchaikovsky and Ella Fitzgerald.
Loved them both. I was about 18 months old and they both remain important to me.

Quite some time later...I got into rock and soul. My father was appalled...
"She's wasting time and money about something she won't care about 6 months from now..." Hahaha. SO Wrong, as it turned out. Still love it.

How did YOUR parents feel about Sixties and Seventies music?

Re: First MUSIC you recall hearing
Date: May 29, 2016 14:04

Norwegian children's songs and folk music. After that, the Beatles..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 29, 2016 15:32

Mull Of Kintyre by Paul McCartney....

Mathijs

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: May 29, 2016 16:28

ELVIS !!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 29, 2016 16:32

Can't Buy Me Love & A Hard Day's Night .............my sister was 6 years older and had started collecting singles.........I was four, she was ten....

The first I cottoned on to myself was a long time later, Black Night - Deep Purple - 1970.........

Stones?.....1973 with Angie, then Heartbreaker clinched it..........

My parents?....Nothing about the music, although later in 1980 my father did run out of the room when I put on the MC5 - Kick out the Jams.......other than that, just......."get a haircut............and take that Paisley shirt off"........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 29, 2016 16:52

In the early 1960's I got an AM clock radio for Christmas, circa 1960 to 1963, but I can't remember exactly when. I was in the age range of 9 to 12 years old at the time. These were the years just prior to The Beatles.

I started listening to WABC AM in New York City because it came in so strong and clear.
I remember the DJ's Bruce Morrow (Cousin Brucie) and Scott Muni.

Examples of songs that I can recall are one's like:
• "Da Doo Ron Ron" by The Crystals
• "Sherry" by The Four Seasons
• "Save the Last Dance for Me" by The Drifters
• "Please Mr. Postman" by the Marvelettes
etc....etc....etc

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 29, 2016 17:47

Around and Around, first cut on 12x5, brought into the house by an older brother when I was 4 years old. When they played it in Newark in 2012 I nearly wet myself. Which I didn't do at 4.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 29, 2016 18:11

Really two different questions here.

1. First music I don't remember, probably songs in school. First music I remember liking was Mud.

2. My parents played a lot of music from clasdical to jazz, and I remember Bridge over Troubled Water was played a lot and loud. I was also very surprised to find a copy of LA Woman in their collection.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2016 18:29

The Beatles - My dad bought my older brother and I all the Beatles records starting in '63 - the year I was born.
Marry Poppins movie soundtrack - A Spoonful of Sugar, I Love to Laugh, Chim Chim Cher-ee, et al.'64.
Roger Miller - King of the Road, '64.
The Sound of Music soundtrack- "The hills are alive, with the sound of music..." , My Favorite Things, The Lonely Goatherd, Do Re Mi, Edelweiss, et. al '65.
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction - My aunt used to sing it, '65.
Roger Williams - Born Free '66.
Nancy Sinatra - These Boots are Made for Walkin', 66
Hermans Hermits - There's a Kind of Hush, '67.
The Association - Windy, '67 (my sisters name is Wendy -it was her song).

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 29, 2016 20:02

Not sure but these come to mind:

Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett
Surfin' Safari - The Beach Boys
On Top of Spaghetti - ?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 29, 2016 20:26

Of course the first music I heard would be through those older than I so.......

Grandparents: Nat King Cole and Lawrence Welk

Mom: Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald

Dad: Hank Williams and Johnny Cash

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 29, 2016 20:34

I remember hearing The Boomtown Rats I Don't Like Mondays on the radio in 1979 and the awful Cliff Richard singing We Don't Talk Anymore as my first memories of pop music. Within a year of that i started my journey as an avid Adam Ant fan. At the same time Adam was ruling the charts in the UK i also got my Mother to buy me my first Stones single Start Me Up summer 81 when i was 7.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2016 20:42

The Shadows - Apache, Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Holly and Please Mister Custer by Charlie Drake.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:08

Silver Dagger
The Shadows - Apache, Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Holly and Please Mister Custer by Charlie Drake.

We must have been living in the same house. Funny, it didn't seem that big. grinning smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:18

Sympathy For The Devil

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:49

Sound of music.... Fiddler on the roof...guantanamera... The Seekers, Roy Orbison, Route 66 by the Stones, in that order, and THAT was all she wrote!

Rod

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 30, 2016 01:51

My two brothers playing The White Album in their bedroom...I was probably 4 years old. Heard Sgt. Pepper around the same time.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 30, 2016 03:43

Alvin And The Chipmunks. Alvin was a non-conformist rebel who played harmonica. They had some great harmonies. I was shocked when I played their album at a slower speed and the Chipmunks sounded human!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 30, 2016 05:01

"Brand New Key" by Melanie and "Mockingbird" by James Taylor & Carly Simon.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: May 30, 2016 05:38

Flying Purple People Eater - 1958. I was 5 years old.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 30, 2016 06:24

stonesrule
For me, it was Tchaikovsky and Ella Fitzgerald.
Loved them both. I was about 18 months old and they both remain important to me.

Quite some time later...I got into rock and soul. My father was appalled...
"She's wasting time and money about something she won't care about 6 months from now..." Hahaha. SO Wrong, as it turned out. Still love it.

How did YOUR parents feel about Sixties and Seventies music?

Tchaikovsky

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2016 10:19

Pat Boone Bernadine +/- '58 age 4 years ....still remember this clearly as my dad has bought a new record player so the whole family standing around the record player while my oldest sister put on Bernadine grinning smiley.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 30, 2016 10:36

Puppy Love by Donny Osmond. And then a few years later 'Silly Love Song Songs' seemed to be blasting from the sky for months on end. I couldn't escape it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 30, 2016 11:57

Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.
Marvelous song, let me hear it when I take my last breath.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2016 12:07

franzk
Sympathy For The Devil

Wow you should sue your parents! >grinning smiley<
It's like being shown "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on home video at the age of 4...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 30, 2016 15:12

Johnny Nash-I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Is Gone.1973,4 years old, still LOVE it today.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 30, 2016 17:54

The first music heard was classical music. The first rock n roll record in my house was The Beatles White Album. Later I dug Herb Alpert and then The Partridge Family. Then my older sister and brother listened to rock n roll. My first rock n roll records were Stevie Wonder's Innervisions and David Bowie's Space Oddity. First Stones records - Through The Past Darkly and Ya Yas

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 30, 2016 18:11

Herb Albert for me too and an odd album called Victory at Sea, music from a WWII documentary series that my dad loved. He had eclectic tastes and he ruled the stereo, so I grew up listening to everything he liked: classical, jazz, big band, show tunes, and popular music. Didn't really hear much in the way of country until later in life, my dad hated it, thought it was maudlin and unsophisticated. This from a man who listened to an Alvin and the Chipmunks album, lol. He was okay with rock and roll and both my parents loved to dance so I have happy memories of the six of us dancing around the house to music.

As for me, I remember putting on Build Me Up Buttercup on my little box turntable in my room and dancing alone to that one. Whenever I hear it now, it takes me back and I can still see that turntable and the skinny little girl in pigtails jumping around to the beat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-30 18:18 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 30, 2016 18:32

Willie Nelson

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 30, 2016 18:46

latebloomer
Herb Albert for me too and an odd album called Victory at Sea, music from a WWII documentary series that my dad loved. He had eclectic tastes and he ruled the stereo, so I grew up listening to everything he liked: classical, jazz, big band, show tunes, and popular music. Didn't really hear much in the way of country until later in life, my dad hated it, thought it was maudlin and unsophisticated. This from a man who listened to an Alvin and the Chipmunks album, lol. He was okay with rock and roll and both my parents loved to dance so I have happy memories of the six of us dancing around the house to music.

As for me, I remember putting on Build Me Up Buttercup on my little box turntable in my room and dancing alone to that one. Whenever I hear it now, it takes me back and I can still see that turntable and the skinny little girl in pigtails jumping around to the beat.

I would argue that Build Me Up Buttercup is the greatest one-hit wonder ever.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home