Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hal Ashby's "Let's Spend the Night Together" in HD
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:11

Way better than I remember it from my old VHS-cassette. Both sound and vision. Here is a clip from Meadowlands Sports Complex, East Rutherford, New Jersey, 5-6 Nov 1981; "You can't Always Get What You Want": [www.youtube.com]
What do think about the quality on this one?

Re: Hal Ashby's "Let's Spend the Night Together" in HD
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:24

Didn't get a chance to watch the clip yet but I always loved that film. The day it came out in 1983, there was a huge blizzard here in NJ, and that didn't stop me and my friends from making it to the movies for it's matinee debut! Came out after the movie and my car was buried in about 20" of snow! Saw it a gazillion more times after that. Some sloppy editing but I thought it really caught the spirit of the 1981 tour! Gotta see the HD...

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:27

Are those clips at the right speed?

Aren't all DVDs etc. playing too fast?

The VHS has the right speed, correct?

Which release is the best version and has the correct speed? I have been looking for this for a long time.

Date: May 25, 2016 01:40

OK, got to check out the clip - great sharp picture indeed! Sounded good too....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:41

no available in this land ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 25, 2016 01:55

This has been out on HD for a while. I don't own (and will never own) a BluRay player or any BR discs, but I saw this movie on the Palladia channel several years ago in HD and I was thrilled.

People love to rag on this movie, this era, Mick's vocals, the edits, the song speed, etc etc... but some people rag on everything no matter what, they don't know how to do anything else.

I love this era, I have always thought so. I like the sound and look of the Stones, the new songs, the old songs, the bright daytime footage... I like it all... and in HD it is even better.

Date: May 25, 2016 01:56

jambay
This has been out on HD for a while. I don't own (and will never own) a BluRay player or any BR discs, but I saw this movie on the Palladia channel several years ago in HD and I was thrilled.

People love to rag on this movie, this era, Mick's vocals, the edits, the song speed, etc etc... but some people rag on everything no matter what, they don't know how to do anything else.

I love this era, I have always thought so. I like the sound and look of the Stones, the new songs, the old songs, the bright daytime footage... I like it all... and in HD it is even better.

Yeah, what you said! thumbs up

Date: May 25, 2016 02:03

Not HD, but a fun edited SSC... esp from 2:00 from that mobie
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Date: May 25, 2016 02:03

HonkeyTonkFlash
jambay

Yeah, what you said! thumbs up
grinning smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 25, 2016 05:42

smileys with beer
jambay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-25 05:42 by melillo.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 25, 2016 07:00

There is a Bluray from Japan which is HD - a step-up from the DVD but pricey.
I bought mine through eBay. Maybe Amazon has it listed to?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 25, 2016 10:51

MrEcho
Are those clips at the right speed?

One solution would be to rip the bluray, make an avi or mkv of it and play it on your computer with vlc.
This player has a tool that enables to slow down the playing speed of a video file.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2016 12:11

The BD version is fantastic and has "appeared"... while the movie gets a bit boring the first 10' are thrilling, in fact I'll be watching it again soon.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 25, 2016 14:14

I always thought the sound of the movie seemed very muffled. I have the blu ray from Japan and the picture is fine. The true problem is the god awful edits of almost every song. Its never going to happen but it would be nice if it was re-released without the edits. To be honest, I think they blew it on this one big time.

Date: May 25, 2016 14:36

Bashlets
I always thought the sound of the movie seemed very muffled. I have the blu ray from Japan and the picture is fine. The true problem is the god awful edits of almost every song. Its never going to happen but it would be nice if it was re-released without the edits. To be honest, I think they blew it on this one big time.

Yeah, the sound could have been mixed better but it still captured the spirit of the tour very well in my opinion.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2016 14:44

I agree Bashlets. But this HD take is so much better than the VHS-original. You can actually hear the bass on this one! And the picture is sharp as a crease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-25 14:46 by Stoneage.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 25, 2016 14:45

HonkeyTonkFlash
Bashlets

Yeah, the sound could have been mixed better but it still captured the spirit of the tour very well in my opinion.

I think the indoor part has way better sound than the outdoor part.

Date: May 25, 2016 14:46

hockenheim95
HonkeyTonkFlash
Bashlets

I think the indoor part has way better sound than the outdoor part.

Perhaps - but the outdoor parts are visually stunning; so colorful and the size of the crowds!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 25, 2016 15:55

The real problem with Hal Ashby's "Let's Spend the Night Together" is the speed.
Does anybody know why it's faster then normal???

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 25, 2016 16:08

Just a wild guess but it may be a 24 fps film to PAL conversion issue. I have never encountered this speedup, but I have only seen NTSC copies. Perhaps this only affects PAL and should not be an issue with modern discs.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 25, 2016 17:05

There's quite a bit of HD footage from the Hal Ashby show and what appear to be other unreleased performances on Youtube. Search and you will find.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 25, 2016 17:22

Thanks for posting this.
I was at the Tempe and Meadowlands shows.
Loved the Honky Tonk woman in Tempe with all the girls!

[www.youtube.com]

Great tour, great memories!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 25, 2016 22:14

I got my BluRay from Japan , excellent memories of the original movie from me too

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: May 26, 2016 00:35

Can anybody of the experts clear up the speed-controversy?

I love the 1981 tour and have been looking for a good version of the Hal Ashby film "Let's Spend The Night Together" for a long time.

I read that the original VHS runs at the correct speed (I have not seen it though).

I also read that the official DVD (Universal 2006) runs fast.

I read the Japanese Bluray has the correct speed.

Were the HD clips on youtube taken from the Bluray disc?

Date: May 26, 2016 01:40

Imagine tota 75 or 1972 tour filmed with the quality of this hal ashby film...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 01:42 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 26, 2016 02:34

MrEcho

I love the 1981 tour and have been looking for a good version of the Hal Ashby film "Let's Spend The Night Together" for a long time.

I read that the original VHS runs at the correct speed (I have not seen it though).

I used to have the vhs and to the best of my knowledge it ran the same speed. The movie itself was made that way for some reason.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 26, 2016 03:27

tumblingdice
MrEcho

I used to have the vhs and to the best of my knowledge it ran the same speed. The movie itself was made that way for some reason.

Yes, it seems either it was converted from PAL way back- which runs faster than VHS, and/or released theatrically sped up to make The Stones sound more energetic. (like they needed to in those white powder days).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2016 07:27

I saw this in the theaters in what? 83? It got kind of tedious. Then when I got my first Hampton '81 bootleg DVD, I never had any desire to see Ashby's film again, especially since I've got Hampton '81 and Leeds '82 in Blu Ray.

Although I did just go on YouTube and watch a couple of the HD clips. Beautiful picture. Kind of sad seeing Keith so young, limber, and fluid on the guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 07:30 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:45

The dvd version is pretty good!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 28, 2016 01:30

I bought the Japanes blu ray a couple of years ago from Amazon Japan and it's the best version I ever saw at home.
They now have a new version on Amazon.jp with a different cover. I have no idea if this is the same version as the older one, or a different version with a new mastering. Does anyone have both and can tell if there is a difference?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home