Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Worried About You (New)
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:08

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
Great vocals. Mick can’t write a bad song for his falsetto voice – the demise of the Stones after 1981 can be traced I think to his forgetting that. Fool To Cry, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue and Worried About You immediately come to mind but, correct me if I’m wrong, no girlie singing since Tattoo You.

Feel On Baby, Winning Ugly, Sweet Thing and Use Me are a few that come to mind..

I don't recall any falsetto in any of those tunes as the lead vocal except Sweet Thing - and there isn't any in Use Me.

Date: May 23, 2016 18:10

HMS
Best song on the otherwise subpar B-side of Tatto You.
When I first heard it as a youngster I was totally blown away. I still like it very much, but I dont think you can call it a classic. It´s dated, but still very good - but once again: NO CLASSIC.

There's no hope for you.

Dated? HA! Subpar B-side of the album? Only a fool would see it that way.

Go listen to that dated trash you think is so great and leave the great songs and albums to people with taste.

Date: May 23, 2016 18:13

HMS
drewmaster = master of wordsthumbs up

Tops & Worried are first class indeed but I can easily do without Heaven, No Use In Crying & Waiting On A Frind, never liked those three songs, always thought of them as a waste of disc space more or less. The inclusion of Heaven, No Use in Crying & Waiting On A Friend for me makes Emotional Rescue a better album than Tattoo You.

Even though... No Use In Crying is from the ER sessions.

What's it like, not having an orbit?

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:14

I always thought it was incredibly BRAVE for the Stones to put out an album with two sides as radically different as Tattoo You had. They hadn't strung together anything resembling that before. Yes, you could say Exile had done something similar -- Rock/blues (1), Country (2), Gospel (3), Rock/blues (4), but an entire side of ballads? Wow.

Not a choice that would naturally scream #1 on the charts.

T@3

Date: May 23, 2016 18:14

Title5Take1
I'm only aware of one Worried About You (non-live) official release. Where are these others from?

They are most likely all the same take, just with different overdubs and rough mixes done for listening.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:17

stanlove
Could be a great song but ruined a little with the falsetto. WHY..

The Toronto Live version from 77 is the only one I will listen to because he got away from the falsetto nonsense.

Look again. Listen again.
[youtu.be]
Listen to the very best in the world at 72 years old.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:19

TeaAtThree
I always thought it was incredibly BRAVE for the Stones to put out an album with two sides as radically different as Tattoo You had. They hadn't strung together anything resembling that before. Yes, you could say Exile had done something similar -- Rock/blues (1), Country (2), Gospel (3), Rock/blues (4), but an entire side of ballads? Wow.

Not a choice that would naturally scream #1 on the charts.

T@3

indeed...and in my naive youth when i first bought the album, i looked on side 2 with disdain. i don't think it was until i started university and played side 2 to comfort my hangover saturday mornings that i came to appreciate, and then love side 2.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:20

drewmaster
IMO, Worried About You is one of the most electrifying and brilliant and cathartic tracks in the Stones’ entire catalog. It’s a lush, theatrical tour-de-force right from the start, with that electric piano and Charlie’s gently-ticking drumbeat creating a feeling of hushed, breathless anticipation.

Then Mick enters, baring his soul in a fragile, utterly naked falsetto; the vulnerability and depth of his performance here is simply a wonder to behold. One of the most remarkable vocal performances ever recorded. At the same time, almost imperceptibly, Keith saunters in, delivering some gorgeous, reggae-tinged guitar licks, while Bill lends a remarkable bass-line that heightens the mood of wistful sadness. Keith then adds a gorgeous bluesy riff, and the song begins to blossom like a rare and precious flower. Those rugged Glimmer Twin harmonies in the chorus contrast beautifully with Mick’s delicate falsetto.

After the first chorus, the feeling of wounded desolation ratchets up, as Mick’s words so vividly capture the incalculable pain that a cold and heartless lover has inflicted upon him. We are inexorably drawn in, absolutely mesmerized by the greatest performer in history, who by now has us completely in the palm of his hand.

It's when the second chorus subsides, however, that the song truly takes off into the stratosphere: that incandescent, scorching, transcendent guitar solo from Wayne Perkins, brilliantly distilling in just 35 seconds all the pain and darkness that Mick has been so desperately trying to exorcise. Holy Mother of Mercy, what a solo; absolutely stunning in its force and precision.

But as mind-blowing as Perkins’ solo is, it is Mick’s subsequent volcanic eruption that is truly the track’s climax. Mick now unleashes one of the most cathartic and heartfelt outpourings of emotion I’ve ever heard, finally purging all the pent-up frustration and heartache and fury that he’s kept locked inside for God knows how long. And oh, what sweet, sweet release. The falsetto wails that follow are the icing on the cake.

Finally, the glorious, strutting outro brings the song to a deeply satisfying close.

Well, talk is cheap. All these words cannot really do justice how much I love Worried About You. I do know that it makes me feel more alive and free than just about anything else on this planet. As in so much of the Stones’ best work, there is such a profound spiritual undertow to this track that its impact on me is akin to an out-of-body religious experience. It nourishes the very core of my being, transporting me to another dimension, liberating my spirit, and releasing me from all my worldly cares. This is why I love the Rolling Stones with all my heart.

Drew

LOL. Brilliant use of sarcasm...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:24

GasLightStreet
HMS
When I first heard it as a youngster I was totally blown away. I still like it very much, but I dont think you can call it a classic. It´s dated, but still very good - but once again: NO CLASSIC.

There's no hope for you.

Go listen to that dated trash you think is so great and leave the great songs and albums to people with taste.

he's having a piss with us. no one in the world prefers dirty work to tattoo you. maybe in a dark, alternate universe...but shirley not here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:32

Such a cool tune from start to finish.

With that said, most live versions I've seen were a bit subpar - Mick's falsetto seemed a bit exaggerated and over the top...'baybaaay''!
One exception was the Vredenburg '03 show which might have been the first time I saw it live, but then again everything about that show was phenomenal.
Seeing Mick at the keyboards was unique enough, and the overall vibe was like being in a small room with the band - which I suppose it was comparatively speaking.
Everyone in the place was on the same page soaking in every second, whereas other times I saw it in arena's it didn't have the same impact.

Side two of Tattoo You is superior Stones- the last truly great Stones album imo ...where have all the good times gone?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 23, 2016 21:31

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
HMS

There's no hope for you.

he's having a piss with us. no one in the world prefers dirty work to tattoo you. maybe in a dark, alternate universe...but shirley not here.

Not at all.

I can honestly say that I like DW more than TY. Although TY has some songs on it that are superior, DW as a whole is better. TY is a ragged mixed bag and has no "corporate identity". A brilliant A-side and a average/subpar B-side doesnt make a real great album. It´s good for sure but no DW, which is truly great. One Hit for instance has more impact than Start Me Up, Harlem Shuffle and Winning Ugly each beats easily most if not the entire B-side of TY. Dirty Work and Had It With You are more impressive than Hang Fire and Neighbours.

Black Limousine, Slave, Little T&A, Worried and Tops are superior to most of DW´s tracks indeed but like I said as a whole DW is the better album.

Thinking of Harlem Shuffle, it´s their last great single, greater than Start Me Up,imo. Start Me Up came right on time, would it have been released two years later it would never have been a hit, I guesss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 21:45 by HMS.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2016 21:57

HMS
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
HMS

There's no hope for you.

Not at all.

I can honestly say that I like DW more than TY. Although TY has some songs on it that are superior, DW as a whole is better. TY is a ragged mixed bag and has no "corporate identity". A brilliant A-side and a average/subpar B-side doesnt make a real great album. It´s good for sure but no DW, which is truly great. One Hit for instance has more impact than Start Me Up, Harlem Shuffle and Winning Ugly each beats easily most if not the entire B-side of TY. Dirty Work and Had It With You are more impressive than Hang Fire and Neighbours.

Black Limousine, Slave, Little T&A, Worried and Tops are superior to most of DW´s tracks indeed but like I said as a whole DW is the better album.

Thinking of Harlem Shuffle, it´s their last great single, greater than Start Me Up,imo. Start Me Up came right on time, would it have been released two years later it would never have been a hit, I guesss.

I think TY absolutely has a "corporate identity." I know now that it was culled from various sessions but I think they did a great job of fooling people at the time that it was a cohesive album. And Harlem Shuffle better than Start Me Up? It's a cover tune; I like it a lot but I think Start Me Up is better. Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the few people here that actually likes much of Dirty Work but I think it's a ragged mess compared to Tattoo You.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:22

GasLightStreet
Title5Take1
I'm only aware of one Worried About You (non-live) official release. Where are these others from?

They are most likely all the same take, just with different overdubs and rough mixes done for listening.

The Virgin release of WANNA HOLD YOU has an extra couplet the Atlantic release didn't have ("...an offer you can't refuse.") Is this like that? Anyone, anyone?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 23, 2016 22:35

Good song, I like it, but it's too manufactured and mannered to really be a classic.
Fwiw, it works for me as Mick singing about Keith.

Date: May 24, 2016 02:25

He's not singing about Keith..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2016 02:37

DandelionPowderman
He's not singing about Keith..

I recall someone was saying something similar about 'Suspicious' from Crosseyed Heart- Keith singing about Mick. grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2016 02:54

He's singing about everyone who ever felt lost, pined for, worried about, and were heart broken over a love gone wrong. Beautiful and brilliant and sung exquisitely by Mick Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-24 02:55 by latebloomer.

Date: May 24, 2016 03:56

Top 3 Stones tune.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:00

stanlove
LOL. Brilliant use of sarcasm...

Uhh, no ... I meant every word.

Drew

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:10

The lyrics strike me as ironic ... Jagger is posing and he knows we know it. The affected singing gives it away.
He's pining for a woman but admits she's not the only one. 'Why does she do these things to him' -- the singer and the listener know why.
I think it's about Keith because Keith is the only one who ever hurt him, or had the power to hurt him.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: May 24, 2016 05:48

Brilliant song - marvellous rendition Perth #1 14 On Fire!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2016 06:26

Paulhanrahan
Brilliant song - marvellous rendition Perth #1 14 On Fire!

This is the first show after L'wrens death, correct? Personally, I did not care for this 'Worried'. It almost seemed like MJ chose to sing this song to prove something; that he could do it. It seemed tough for him, and Keith and Ronnie seemed worried (pun). Struggle and a push. Plus he looked too thin.
Much prefer healthy sassy feeling good Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-24 06:26 by 35love.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 09:45

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
Great vocals. Mick can’t write a bad song for his falsetto voice – the demise of the Stones after 1981 can be traced I think to his forgetting that. Fool To Cry, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue and Worried About You immediately come to mind but, correct me if I’m wrong, no girlie singing since Tattoo You.

Feel On Baby, Winning Ugly, Sweet Thing and Use Me are a few that come to mind..

There’s no remarkable falsetto on any of those songs except of course for Sweet Thing, which I didn’t count because it’s not a Stones song... since you mention it though it’s no coincidence that Sweet Thing is one of Mick’s better solo cuts. Forget the blues, Mick should sing at least part of every song on the new album in falsetto.

Date: May 24, 2016 10:20

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

There’s no remarkable falsetto on any of those songs except of course for Sweet Thing, which I didn’t count because it’s not a Stones song... since you mention it though it’s no coincidence that Sweet Thing is one of Mick’s better solo cuts. Forget the blues, Mick should sing at least part of every song on the new album in falsetto.

What do you mean by «remarkable»? I think Mick's falsetto on Feel On Baby is awesome. Perhaps you mean that he's singing falsetto on most of those other tracks, as opposed to now and again?

They even have echo-loop on Mick's falsetto on FOB smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:12

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

What do you mean by «remarkable»? I think Mick's falsetto on Feel On Baby is awesome. Perhaps you mean that he's singing falsetto on most of those other tracks, as opposed to now and again?

They even have echo-loop on Mick's falsetto on FOB smiling smiley

You sound like a Musical Authority but I’ll have to maintain that Mick does not sing FOB in falsetto.

But I wish he had.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2016 12:41

Swayed1967

You sound like a Musical Authority but I’ll have to maintain that Mick does not sing FOB in falsetto.

But I wish he had.

I'm puzzled too. Keith's vocals on FOB arent falsetto either, of course,
but they might sound more like it than Mick's. To me, anyway.
Dande dear, please pinpoint the bits you mean.
Maybe I haven't listened to the album track recently enough

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 13:12

The best was the Mocambo version.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 24, 2016 13:39

There's some Oooh's in the third minute of the song, that have a falsetto sound,
if you ask me. During the first harmonica break. And some random noise in the fifth
minute.
And in the very background I can hear Mick singing "Feel on baby" around 1:54.
But I wouldn't call it a falsetto lead vocal.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 24, 2016 14:19

Let's get one thing straight here (and I don't mind jokes or a little ribbing at all, mind you). What I commented on was this statement:

«correct me if I’m wrong, no girlie singing (meaning falsetto - my comment) since Tattoo You»

Well, here's the correction.

And Marco, the lead vocal is also singing falsetto in places on FOB.

There are more falsetto singing on the track, but I didn't have time to mash everything together smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-24 15:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2016 14:55

Swayed1967

[...]
Forget the blues, Mick should sing at least part of every song on the new album in falsetto.

smiling smiley I don't know if I agree but of all the wishful thinking about the new album, I liked this one the best till now.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home