Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Are You A MUSICAL AUTHORITY?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 23, 2016 09:08

Treacle...how thrilling to hear from YOU!

Yeah, I thought that term "musical authority" would liven up the
conversation. The one it was aimed at apparently is somewhere sulking...

I have heard from a Rolling Stone who apparently has time on his hands.

And now YOU. Yippee!

Golly, if we really get lucky, maybe even "Breath."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 23, 2016 09:28

Are You A MUSICAL AUTHORITY?

Nope, just a 2 cents worth-thrower all the way...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 23, 2016 09:32

Oh, Sharon, just thought I'd mention, regarding a "Breath" of fresh air -- you would be most welcome in that "other" place. The nightmare "dreamer" realm has been vanquished for good. You will be safe there, free to be accepted by those who have a LongBeach to offer in the way of seaside views, in addition to a room in Munich at the Hilton, who now even offers a snack machine -- but exact change only, please. So, do stop in and sample the warm and welcoming ambience sometime, even if you're only moonlighting. We may not be musical authorities, but we do value a bit of friendly conversation. Hope to see you there....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2016 10:27

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hansman
What is a MUSICAL AUTHORITY anyway? Someone who can tell me which music is good and which isn't? To me this is all bullshit. Some writers and critics of profilic music magazines have that "I am holier than you" attitude. I can't stand those people. I like what I like, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about it. Most music I listen to was created by musicians who aren't virtuosous on their instruments. The more virtuous and complicated music gets, the more it bores me. Meat and potatoes. I like it simple. But that doesn't mean that I have a better or worse taste in music than other people. Some people love to listen to Rush, others prefer the Stones, and some like or hate both both. Whatever makes you happy.

Exactly. One mentality that really bugs me is self-righteous musical snobs who feel that unless the music is difficult for the musicians to play, it's not good music. They look down their nose at Keith Richards and say, "If you knew how easy those licks are, you'd know it's crap." Bullshit! I play guitar and I know how simple much of Keith's playing is, but it SOUNDS so good and it transports me! The feel is what matters to me. As a musician I can appreciate the complexity of something like Rush, but I'd still rather hear Keith thrash out three Chuck Berry chords with emotion any day!

Amen to that thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2016 17:52

There are times when saying certain words can convey something. It purposefully comes across as being a snob or having musical authority. In the essence of, say, someone that likes really bad awful music, well... opinion is not fact but when facts show that something is good or bad by a consensus of opinions, it tends to be observed as a fact. Was TATTOO YOU the last great Stones album? Historical context says yes yet someone may love UNDERCOVER or BRIDGES TO BABYLON more or just may love them. But that does not mean they're "better".

But the general public knows nothing past TATTOO YOU when it comes to anything they've done that's worthy. So... there's that kind of musical authority to consider, what some may say is an obvious truth.

Then there's the wink speak of 'a true Stones fan'...

Led Zeppelin can be and is considered a more popular band than The Rolling Stones... based on albums sales and radio play.

As a live band, on the other hand...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:09

"You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
Well, then who the hell else are you talking- You talking to me?
Well, I'm the only one here. Who the @#$%& do you think you're talking to?"

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 18:10 by Kurt.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:33

Thanks Stonehearted. You're a real gent!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 24, 2016 05:09

Ever read what Mathijs writes? What a BS artist.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 24, 2016 08:22

stonesrule
Thanks Stonehearted. You're a real gent!
And you're appreciated as well, stonesrule. So do drop in sometime, because, "Nothing will stand in your way, no one will harm you..."

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 24, 2016 08:45

Kurt
"You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
Well, then who the hell else are you talking- You talking to me?
Well, I'm the only one here. Who the @#$%& do you think you're talking to?"

winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home