Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are You A MUSICAL AUTHORITY?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 21, 2016 22:10

Reading through some of the more recent posts in the last couple of years it appears to me that there are numerous IORR posters who seem to feel that
they REALLY KNOW music..and that THEIR OPINIONS are GREAT!

I realize that most of them have never actually seen the people they knock in
performance and also that they a decade or two younger than many of the IORR
stalwarts. KEITH and RONNIE are Godlike to some of these fans. ERIC CLAPTON,
JEFF BECK, etc. etc. etc. are just "old people."

I remember being at gigs in the early 70's when to see Clapton and many more
when they were so exciting to watch and listen to it was THRILLING.

Drugs took their toll on many of the musicians. Some eventually went through
Hell kicking their habits. Others never tried or couldn't stick with it.

I don't care what anyone's age is when I go to a show. And I don't need to
meet them or hover around in a hotel bar trying to get a conversation going
with anyone who's famous. If I like their music, that's all I require.

I love to read the interesting insights from people we've come to respect at IORR through the years.

Re The Stones, I miss Wyman. I miss Taylor. Re Jagger, I admire how much
he loves what he does. And generally is never a disappointment. On a
good night, Charlie Watts is a great pleasure. Keith is erratic, and I'm
certain he knows it.

Just my two cents worth.

Re: Are You A MUSICAL AUTHORITY?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2016 22:56

Absolutely no one here is a MUSICAL AUTHORITY, no matter how long they've been on the site, or how many pals they clique with. It's just opinion, and some of it is very interesting. I can see where people of different ages can interpret the Stones in different ways. Brian Jones was already gone by the time I really got turned on to the Stones. Let It Bleed was my first album. Before that I thought of them as a pop singles band. In fact when Brian died, and they announced it on the radio in the states, nothing he had done musically came to mind. It took a couple years before this wonderful girl loaned me all her old Stones albums, back to the beginning, for me to begin to understand what Brian contributed. And it took many more years to get the full picture.

Per Taylor, I see where he contributed to the absolute Zenith of the band, and he himself marveled at the '73 European tour. That was the peak. But think if you were an American. You wouldn't have known that, or heard it, unless you knew how to get bootlegs, until the last couple years. I'm not sure how malleable Taylor was as a player. Would he have slipped successfully into the mid-70s reggae, funk, disco Stones? Maybe his time was his time, like Nicky.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 21, 2016 23:11

Speaking for myself, I don't consider myself a Musical Authority by any means. I just know what I like and when it comes to rock and roll, I like the Stones the best. My first memory of the Stones was being 5 years old the year Satisfaction came out and although I knew nothing of it's subject matter, the sound and the beat just hooked me right there. It was later at the age of 10 in 1970 when my older brothers turned me on to Ya Yas and that was my true conversion. And seeing Gimme Shelter on TV was revelatory! The rest is history. Sure I miss Taylor and Wyman but I also loved what Woody brought to the Stones. I don't delude myself thinking that the Stones are what they once were in their prime, but I'm glad they're still able to play at this age, with Keith being erratic and all...They can still be wonderful on a good night as evidenced by Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park Live...I enjoy coming here and reading / talking about my favorite band with my fellow fans and try not to get into any contentious arguments, i.e: "You like Woody more than Taylor? You're a bloody moron who should rot in hell!" That stuff annoys me when I do see it. We should all respect each other's tastes and just have a pleasant discussion here, hopefully with a Stones soundtrack rolling on.....Cheers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-21 23:43 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:04

HMS is the only true musical authority on this board. Just ask him!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:04

HonkeyTonkFlash
We should all respect each other's tastes and just have a pleasant discussion here, hopefully with a Stones soundtrack rolling on.....Cheers!

smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:20

Hey yeah I dig those on here with knowledge on any matter ...
I steal stuff from them all the time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:22

Stonesrule- I feel you, and always love to read your posts. Wish I had some special kind of wise words, but who really does? Anyhow, we're going through life together, us Rock And Roll fans. I suppose it wasn't suppose to last this long? Some of us are still "real" and into it. Keep the faith, I know it's hard.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:34

no one can have musical authority, people know what they like and often with the stones opinions differ, it dosent make one right or one wrong. when i listen to music, no one elses opinion on that song matters at that time. im sure everyone else feels the same.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 22, 2016 01:04

Among my day to day acquaintances...yes. Here, not so much but always open to expanding my knowledge!

Date: May 22, 2016 01:56

Some people have musical knowledge and competence within that field.

Whether someone is an authority or not must be for others to decide. No one can claim to be an authority.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-22 16:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2016 03:34

buttons67
no one can have musical authority, people know what they like and often with the stones opinions differ, it dosent make one right or one wrong. when i listen to music, no one elses opinion on that song matters at that time. im sure everyone else feels the same.

thumbs up

As with any art, everyone has their opinions. One man's junk is another man's treasure, etc., and everyone has a right to their opinion (in my opinion winking smiley ) - that's what makes this site interesting to read.
There's no room for personal attacks imo. Sure it's fine disagree with someone elses opinion in a civilized manner, but when it gets nasty with personal insults, you've lost all credibility imo.
The Stones have such a long history with so many variables throughout (band members, solo work, etc.) which makes for great conversation and subject matter...50+ years and counting.
Can't wait to listen to critique the new album - hopefully it will be as great as Keith's Crosseyed Heart (the album and the thread that followed). thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 22, 2016 04:31

Shadooby...well put!

Date: May 22, 2016 04:55

And anyway...what IS a Musical Authority? I can play decent guitar and keyboards and have had some fun playing in bar bands and so on. But the fact that I can do that gives me no right to judge another's taste in music. If I don't care for Cherry Oh Baby, but it gives you the same transcendental experience I get from a good live version of Jumping Jack Flash, then God bless ya. Enjoy what takes you to that special place!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 22, 2016 05:43

Yes

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 22, 2016 06:11

heck yeah.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 22, 2016 06:18

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

Alexander Pope

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 22, 2016 11:39

I'm jazz Police, myself.

a sergeant-major, to be be precise.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2016 11:48

"Are You A MUSICAL AUTHORITY?"

Sure I am! I can say what notes are in a C major musical key!

(deep breath) Okay here I go!!

C!

D!

E! (pant pant)

F!

G! (pant pant pant pant pant pant)

A!

Beeeeeeee!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2016 11:49

Sure there are some Stones professors around here. And maybe some doctors too. Personally, I consider myself more of a college drop-out...

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 22, 2016 12:13

What is a MUSICAL AUTHORITY anyway? Someone who can tell me which music is good and which isn't? To me this is all bullshit. Some writers and critics of profilic music magazines have that "I am holier than you" attitude. I can't stand those people. I like what I like, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about it. Most music I listen to was created by musicians who aren't virtuosous on their instruments. The more virtuous and complicated music gets, the more it bores me. Meat and potatoes. I like it simple. But that doesn't mean that I have a better or worse taste in music than other people. Some people love to listen to Rush, others prefer the Stones, and some like or hate both both. Whatever makes you happy.

Date: May 22, 2016 12:57

Hansman
What is a MUSICAL AUTHORITY anyway? Someone who can tell me which music is good and which isn't? To me this is all bullshit. Some writers and critics of profilic music magazines have that "I am holier than you" attitude. I can't stand those people. I like what I like, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about it. Most music I listen to was created by musicians who aren't virtuosous on their instruments. The more virtuous and complicated music gets, the more it bores me. Meat and potatoes. I like it simple. But that doesn't mean that I have a better or worse taste in music than other people. Some people love to listen to Rush, others prefer the Stones, and some like or hate both both. Whatever makes you happy.

Exactly. One mentality that really bugs me is self-righteous musical snobs who feel that unless the music is difficult for the musicians to play, it's not good music. They look down their nose at Keith Richards and say, "If you knew how easy those licks are, you'd know it's crap." Bullshit! I play guitar and I know how simple much of Keith's playing is, but it SOUNDS so good and it transports me! The feel is what matters to me. As a musician I can appreciate the complexity of something like Rush, but I'd still rather hear Keith thrash out three Chuck Berry chords with emotion any day!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 23, 2016 00:01

It's WAY more difficult to be simple and good than it is to be complex and good, paradoxical as that may sound. Simplicity doesn't give you anything to hide behind.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 23, 2016 00:14

I really don't understand this thread. I mean come on, Charlie is good every night smoking smiley

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 00:59

musical authority: dunno .. was watching jj cale and clapton playing (on the web) "after midnight" loved it , the are totally different players. but played great together... jj cales style : lacy laied back ,,, beetween rock and blues... love it

Date: May 23, 2016 01:41

Aquamarine
It's WAY more difficult to be simple and good than it is to be complex and good, paradoxical as that may sound. Simplicity doesn't give you anything to hide behind.

It's all about that inexplicable FEELING that can't be put into words. Listen to the Stones do a simple song like the live version of It's Only Rock And Roll. It's three or four simple chords. The most barely-trained musicians should be able to learn it no problem. But how many cover bands do something like that and it SUCKS? Because they got all the notes and chords right but they don't have the feel for it. That's where the Stones have it in spades over so many technically better musicians. Notes and chords can be taught; feeling is something you have or you don't. The Stones have!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 23, 2016 01:41

Aquamarine

I never could figure out their patterns and I sure as heck couldn't explain one. grinning smiley

[www.simplicity.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2016 01:53

She looks so simple in her way
Does the same thing everyday
But she's dedicated
To having her own way
She's very complicated

............................. Complicated - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 03:31

“If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.”

-- Keith Richards.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:01

These grumpy old lady "GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN" posts are always good for a few laughs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2016 08:54

i hate the term musical authority.

I go out of my way to fight 'authority' but sadly it always seems to win.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home